Zooey Deschanel: 'New Girl' goes beyond comedy
September 20th, 2011

Zooey Deschanel: 'New Girl' goes beyond comedy

Zooey Deschanel's new Fox series "New Girl," about a 20-something who moves in with three guy roommates after a bad breakup, walks, talks and makes wisecracks like a comedy. But before you label it that and that alone, here's how Deschanel describes it.

"It plays more like a romantic comedy than a sitcom, per se, even though it has some of the physical comedy that some of the classic sitcoms have. We’re telling stories that are not purely comedic," the actress explained on a call with press. "I really believe that you end up caring about these characters."

And while it's (pretty) "easy to take the show and be like, oh, it’s a girl and three guys," Deschanel continues, that wouldn't encompass the whole of what she thinks "New Girl" brings to the table.

"I think more specifically, these guys are helping her get over this experience, but not just that. It’s not just getting over the break-up. It’s also finding her way in a new life being a single woman in her late 20s," she explains of her character, Jessica Day, or Jess.

"It’s really about the person who’s having a big change in her life, and these people that help her. It’s less about male/female dynamics and more, I think, about these particular individuals relating to one another," she continues. "I have a lot of guy friends and they all have helped me a lot in different ways. So, I feel like it’s less about her moving in with guys and more about [a] person who’s really in transition in her life and her friends helping her."

Jess, of course, remarkably fits some of the characteristics that come to mind when one thinks of Deschanel herself - quirky and goofy in the most adorable way. (One of the taglines for the show? "Adorkable.")

"It wasn’t written for me initially, but it was sort of a perfect fit, you know," Deschanel admits. "You go to a store and there’s a dress that just looks like it was made for you, but it wasn’t. That’s sort of like what it was like."

The pilot, which airs tonight on Fox at 9 p.m., shows Deschanel's Jess trying to get through and rebound from having her heartbroken, and it's curious how the show will develop once she gets over that hump.

"[Jess is] definitely distraught in the pilot, and the pilot’s a lot about the break-up. But, it’s more, I think, finding her way in the future is more of the focus and less the getting over the break-up. That is more the sort of territory that we cover in the episodes to follow."

Filed under: New Girl • television

1. A Fan

I find Ms. Deschanel's brand of humor excellent. It is typically dry, forcing the observer to actually pay attention. She is, like her sister, beautiful; even though they're not going for that full-bore. Everything I've seen her in, her acting has been top-notch, and I wish her all the best.

September 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. FIX IN TX

@Junkpile ~ Thank you very much for the information. Hope you have a great day!

September 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. FIX IN TX

Does anyone know if Zooey Deschanel related to Emily Deschanel (of Bones) in anyway? Mother/daugher? Aunt/niece? Anyone? I am just curious because I think Emily Deschanel is an excellent actress. I would appreciate any accurate information. Thank you.

September 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lola

Personally I loved the show. There were times when I couldn't contain my laughter. Coaches character is hilarious especially his "STOP IT" and Jess is so cute and adorable and I love when she randomly breaks into song.

The other two guys I don't care much for, but I can tell the non-slimey guy, forgot his name, is going to develop a serious crush on her.

this is seamingly a Chick Romantic Comedy, but I like those so I hope this show stick's around.

September 21, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. 12mchen

The pilot is up on Hulu. I think the show is more for a girl crowd. It is cute. It depends on your sense of humor. I think they need to polish it up a bit, but there is potential there.

September 21, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ziggy

Zooey Deschanel has a cool name but there's nothing hot about her.

September 21, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. WPalmer

Just saw the show. AWEFUL!

September 20, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Anomic Office Drone

I have never seen a show turn a talented, attractive woman like Deschanel in to such complete man repellant. The commercials were so annoying she's not even cute to me anymore. Obviously, I didn't watch the show.

September 20, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Newo

"I think more specifically, these guys are helping her get over this experience, but not just that. It’s not just getting over the break-up"
    In other words, ladies, after you no longer have one man in your life, immediately turn around and get three more around you -because obviously you can't get over it by yourself.
    way to exemplify codependent women, Deschanel.

September 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Siggy

Unless all the guys a gonna get with her i'm not wasting my time on it.

September 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Policeman

Quirky and adorable = stupid and lame.

The girl's pretty hot, so don't tell me that any guy would not want to hit it, even if she wore stupid glasses.

September 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kara

Trouble is, the girl would never let a pathetic cyber coward loser who talks about 'hitting it' within a 20 foot radius of her being. Your comment proves that you do not get laid...unless you are in a carpet factory. Grow a pair and be a man...maybe you'll find a girlfriend for once in your lonely and disgusting life. Go back to that stiff gym sock of yours loser.

September 22, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Notblind

Hit it with which one? White shirt (Zooey) or the chic in the black top? I hope your talking about the girl in the black top.

September 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |