Ratings win for Sheen 'Roast,' 'Two and a Half Men'
September 20th, 2011

Ratings win for Sheen 'Roast,' 'Two and a Half Men'

The numbers are in: Comedy Central's Roast of Charlie Sheen was watched by 6.4 million total viewers, Comedy Central reports.

The ratings also make the Sheen joke fest the most watched and highest rated roast ever for Comedy Central.

Meanwhile on CBS, Ashton Kutcher's first day on the job at "Two and a Half Men" didn't do poorly, either. CBS reports that nearly 28 million viewers (27.76, to be exact) tuned in to see how Sheen's character was killed off the show and to watch Kutcher take over.

It was not only a series high for "Men," but it also made the half-hour sitcom's premiere the best among scripted shows since "Desperate Housewives" in 2005.

Filed under: Charlie Sheen • television

1. Katherine

It would be interesting if there was some way to find out how many of the 28 million viewers did not finish watching the show and turned to another channel before it was over. I know I was one of them. And of the time I actually watched - I didn't laugh even once. Sad - because I used to laugh out loud at Charlie and the rest. Those days are over.

September 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tony

It's still too early to tell how that show is going to go. I thought it was pretty good and I will watch next week out of curiosity. It might make it. Charlie Sheen is funny, but he is replaceable just like every body else. He did not corner the market on funny.

September 21, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kyle

I am the biggest Two and a Half men fan, or at least one of them. Charlie Sheen was a great actor, and Kutcher is a good one too, but Two and a Half men is nothing without Sheen. Sheen was the heart and soul of this TV show. Kutcher running around the house naked was ok at first, but when that is the only joke on the whole show, it gets very old, very fast. Chuck Lorre, I am a loyal fan, I will watch next week, but you need to do A LOT better. Your first episode was a joke, and you will lose a lot of fans if your only joke is having Kutcher running around naked.

September 21, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Anne

Kyle you nailed it, a naked Ashton Kutcher is not funny! I too am a huge fan of two and a half men,but I think Chuck Lorre took advantage of killing off Charlie and nobody at his funeral was upset, just the way that Chuck would have dreamed it. I think the show is headed for the axe.

September 21, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. meadow muffin

Charlie Sheen is trash...no wonder America is in the toilett...all this charile worship is embarassing...he is a wife beating, child neglecting, crack head...way to go America...you sure know how to pick em...

September 21, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. liz

So in fact Charlie Sheen pulled in 34.16 million viewers and on top of that CBS will end up paying him north of a $120million dollars all in all a pretty good week for Charlie.

September 21, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Looney

American Pickers is a reality show that films people picking their noses at different times of the day....just kidding. Two and a 1/2 Men was so-so. I did miss Sheen. Kutcher was just ok, I'll continue to watch because I am a loyal fan. Looking forward to Mike & Molly's return

September 21, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Regis

there is no Two and a Half Men without Sheen. Watched the show and it was not funny at all.

September 21, 2011 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. ?

What's American Pickers?

September 21, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sokman

I missed a new episode of American Pickers for that garbage? Man, that sucks I thought it was rerun. Even Jon Cryer seemed to phone it in last night, & he usually nails it.

September 21, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. loJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbWK3KgvFk&w=640&h=390]

September 21, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. JCR

The show is a joke, and I do not mean funny. The only reason the show had a large viewership was because everyone wanted to see how they got rid of Charlie, and certainly not because of this guy Kruther. Lorre lost his touch a long time ago and believe Charlie saw it as well. I honesty tried to watch the show last night with an open mind and all I saw was Kruther as his typical part fill-in, riding the coat tails of another actor. He's still the same person he was on That 70's Show...Not Funny and a poor actor at that. The audience laughter in the background was poorly timed, and made it worse for the other true actors and I finally had to turn the channel. Luckily, "American Pickers" was a new episode. Lorre is so self conscience about his inability to put together a better show, and then being called-out on it, which then allowed his ego to take over, instead of being a man about it, could have worked this issue out with Charlie. With Charlie gone, the soul of 2 1/2 Men is also gone.

September 20, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Loraine

I didn't get to see it but from the comments above, it looks like I didn't miss a thing. Ashton running naked...oh please. He needs to keep his clothes on. I just threw up with that thought.

September 20, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Olorinstaff

The new 2.5 men was horrible. Is Aston Krutcher running around naked really that funny? Please God make it go away.

September 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hadabadday

I know that Mr Lorre had issues with Charlie and that he had to be killed off the show ...and it is a comedy an all but I think that it should have been written in that at least his mother could have been a little disturbed by his death....it looked like burta was more hurt then his own mother...and that was really a money issue....shame on you Mr Lorre...you could have taken the high road...vengence doesn't become you....

September 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • upstateny

I agree with HADDABADDAY. Not only was it not funny, it was tasteless. I wasn't sure what to expect when I watched the show but it wasn't that. I know it will take some getting used to but this was their big moment, their premiere, the build up on Facebook, Advertising, etc and they blew it. It's not Ashton Kutchner's fault, I think it would have been difficult or impossible for them to try to replace Charlie Sheen. I would have preferred they kept Charlie alive and increased the character portrayed by Ryan Stiles. He could have left Judith and moved in with Alan, they could have done so much with their current cast and still kept Charlie alive. Oh well!

September 21, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Anomic Office Drone

I have never watched more than a few minutes of Two and Half Men. I knew it wasn't for me as soon as the studio audience started laughing hysterically at something that wasn't funny, so obviously I didn't want Two and Half Men now that it features Ashton Kutcher, the least talented man in Hollywood. I did, however, record the Charlie Sheen Roast and look forward to watching it tonight.

September 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. charles van meter

The season premiere of Two and 1/2 Men lacked that family feeling the show had garnered over 8 seaons, and instead resembeled familacide; Sheen was roasted unmericifully, and I'm not talking about the Comedy Central Roast. Shame on Chuck Lorre! The show lost speed and humor after Charlie was laid to rest. Expect a mid-season cancellation for this show, as well as Lorre's other offerings that wouldn't even be aired if not for being on the coattails of Two and 1/2 Men. The king is dead.

September 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. M

Let's get the facts straight. I watched Two and a half Men just long enough to see how they terminated Sheen's character then turned it off and went to bed just as soon as Kuntcher showed up at the sliding glass door. Get real, there is no Two and a Half Men without Sheen. Let's see how the future unfolds before we toot the networks horns...

September 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gina

I love Charlie but never liked 2&1/2 Men. I turned on for a minute to see how they would bring in Kutcher but it was so dumb I turned it off. I think that 28 million will diminish once the novelty wears off. The show is dumb anyway and needs to be cancelled. I hope Sheen gets his act together and can make more shows – he is talented when he is not into the crack pipe.

September 21, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  18. Snarky

Sheen or kutcher, it makes no difference. That show was, and still is trash. Can't believe anybody seriously thinks two and a half men is funny

September 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |