Olivia Munn: I can be funny, pretty and smart too
September 20th, 2011

Olivia Munn: I can be funny, pretty and smart too

Olivia Munn faced some backlash last year when when she was hired on "The Daily Show" as a correspondent, but she tells Movieline that those detractors are being narrow-minded.

"They said, 'Oh, she's the Maxim cover girl,' which I get. But I'm just like, I'm sorry - you can put yourself in a box,  I just refuse to let you put me in one, too," Munn says. "They're trying to reduce it to, 'You can't be on the cover of Maxim and you can't be pretty and also be smart and funny. You're only getting by on your looks.'"

The 31-year-old actress, who stars alongside Sarah Jessica Parker in this month's "I Don't Know How She Does It," concurs with Tina Fey, who said that if Munn were "heavier...with a Le Tigre mustache posing in her underpants, people would be like, 'Good for you.'"

"I am who I am and I'm embracing everything that I am," Munn continues to Movieline. "I'm not going to put on a turtleneck and hide away if I want to be smart and funny. You can be all those things."

Her real question, Munn goes on, is whether the critics are insinuating that they're "smart, funny and ugly...Because clearly you can't be pretty, right?"

"People can not like me, that's fine. People can not think I'm funny, that's fine," she says. "But when you're trying to make a statement for women in general, I'm like, you know what? You don't speak for a lot of women I know, and you don't speak for me. It's just you and your narrow-minded friends that can all have this opinion. At least preface it with that. Like, 'Hi, me and my friends are really narrow-minded and we don't like Olivia.' Great. But don't speak on behalf of all women."

Thankfully, the actress says, "people like Scott Rudin, Aaron Sorkin, Jon Stewart, Steven Soderbergh" haven't held that viewpoint.

"I'm really lucky...that they are the ones who are casting these projects and making the things that I'm in," Munn tells Movieline. " I'm thankful that they believe women can be funny and also pretty."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. AT

I can't say whether or not she's funny as I'm not familiar with her skits, but after I read this, I read the Jezebel article. Maybe people have attacked Munn at times in her life for being pretty but I don't think that's what the article was about. She should try to hone her critical thinking skills more and read it again, IMO.

September 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Booo

I agree, Doug. I had never heard of
    Munn before I saw her on the Daily Show. While I do think she is beautiful, I didn't think she was funny at all. Maybe it was the fault of the writers or maybe her's. If you're not funny, you're not funny regardless of how "pretty" you are.

September 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Booo

I think she is gorgeous. I had no idea who she was when she was hired by The Daily Show. But I didn't find her funny. And I agree with the person who said – I'm paraphrasing – that most female comics are less attractive (but not all). I could write a page full of names though.

September 21, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Doug

She seems more interested in her looks than her "detractors". In this article she referring to herself as "pretty" quite often.

September 21, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sokman

I'd hit it for a free playstation 3

September 21, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. Banana

Are you kidding me? She and Kevin were AWESOME on AOTS. She's actually real about being into geek stuff, unlike Candace Bailey and that that playboy playmate they have on there now. You wanna see not funny? Watch the show now. Olivia is awesome because she's funny, geeky, and pretty. Doesn't make me feel nearly as much of an outcast for being a geek girl with looks!

September 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Johnny Cage

She wasn't funny on Attack of The Show... She's got a nice body, her face is ok, but I can't see her career taking off or anything. She's rather plain.

September 20, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scar

I hope this is just a bad picture of her because while she may very well be smart and funny, in this picture she sure isn't pretty ... Of course, maybe with a ton of make-up, barely any clothing and a ton of photoshopping she is really hot.

September 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steve '81

@the dude most girls that tell jokes are ugly,no offense to females.

September 20, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. the_dude

They never hire ugly girls to tell jokes so show your boobs and then shut up.

September 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Policeman

Let's see her cans

September 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. .

bye.

September 20, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jules

Who ever said she was funny?

September 20, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Seconded.

September 20, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • cakes

thirded. She didnt have detractors because she is pretty.. she has detractors because she's not funny. at all.

September 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • e

Fourth-ed! ..The whole 'I'm a funny nerd' act is pretty lame, especially when you're not funny to begin with.

November 4, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • e

On the same note, who ever said she was smart too?

November 4, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Reverend Martin Dr.

All I can say is I find this to be an affront to our African American Culture and Heritage.

September 20, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |