An old face returns on 'HIMYM'
September 20th, 2011

An old face returns on 'HIMYM'

Monday night's one hour season premiere of "How I Met Your Mother" - actually two episodes - was hit or miss for me.

The first episode was a hit. It really felt like the show had gotten its groove back with a classically structured "HIMYM," a flashback within a flashback, of Punchy's long-awaited, disastrous wedding.

All of the business with Ted trying to avoid yet another embarrassing toast, Lily trying to hide her pregnancy, and Robin's rekindled feelings for Barney worked brilliantly. It didn't hurt that Robin and Barney had a show-stopping dance number in the middle of the episode, either.

Marshall's "drinking for two" - especially his line "I will do this, for the child," had me rolling, not to mention Lily's "This son of a bitch has knee dimples!"

So it was a big letdown when I found the second episode to be a miss. Martin Short just didn't work for me as Marshall's boss and I'm really not interested in Barney's pursuit of Nora (hopefully this is not going to drag out all season between him and Robin).

I will admit that it had its moments, in particular "Beercules" and "Edward Forty Hands." (The lesson here? The Eriksens are having a pretty good season so far.)

But nothing prepared me for the final scene, which made it all worth it. Victoria, Ted's girlfriend from season 1, is back!

Either the producers are responding to what the fans want, or they had this planned from the get-go. I kind of doubt it's the latter but it would be amazing if so.

In any case, this development really makes me excited for this season. Do you agree? Share your iReport or comment below.

1. Mail order brides understanding the philippines in southeast asian context

Love won't arrive easy and that's the reason increasingly more individual men're deciding on teleshopping brides. Any teleshopping new bride program is like an e-matchmaking service. It's ...Mail order brides prices

January 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. aztf

luv the shows, luv the football themed wedding and died laughing when punchy and his wife did the same thing as marshall and lilly.

September 21, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CherBear

Love, love, love this show! Can't wait to see what happens this season!

September 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. hanldev

I LOVED the Cleveland Browns colored wedding!! Hailing from Shaker Heights, like the writers (sometimes Ted wears Shaker Heights High t-shirts), I can appreciate how ironic those colors are. The Browns are awful but Cleveland still loves them just like Punchy's awful but actually found someone to marry him.

September 21, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. teeni

What he or she said

September 21, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sokman

Is everything abbreviated these days? DWTS, AI, AOTS, HIMYM... Think I'll sit back with a nice GOT, watch SAS, followed by TC, BMM to C, and CIAN

September 21, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • lacpeb

Yes, everything is abbreviated these days because it takes far too much time, energy and effort for some people to type entire words in order to communicate clearly. I have found that it often creates a time suck for the reader when they have to sit and ponder what all the abbreviations represent. Most of the time, I just move on because my time is valuable, too.

September 21, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jody Brooks

In um 'real life' Neil Patrick Harris is a pillow biting,annoying,bigot who's now raising babies.Gees wonder what they'll be like ten years from now.

September 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Darbee

I like Nora- but all I can think about when I see her is the character she played on General Hospital. Barney and Robin just seem to have more chemistry in my opinion.

September 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. That_Guy

I..... kinda like Norah, and I don't really like the idea of Robin and Barney getting married.... it seems too Friendsish.....
    @ thread about racism that really isn't about race..... I know you may have given up Wayne Brady in the race draft, but theres a well educated African American character... as well as his father who made multiple appearances last season.
    I liked the second episode.... I couldn't stop laughing (Despite being at work) @ Beercules.

September 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marny

Idiots Jammmmmal is not black.

September 20, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kie

If you watch the show you would know that Barney has a brother and he is????

September 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Darbee

I wouldn't take jammall's comments too seriously everyone. He (she??) just left a similar message about racism with the Salahi's and the woman running away with the guy from Journey. If Jammall is being serious then perhaps he shouldn't write similar responses for multiple articles.

September 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. just me

For the racists out there accusing HIMYM of being racist – where are the whities in Meet the Browns, ANYTHING Tyler Perry does, House of Payne.

It's not racist! Jammmall – how many whities do you hang with? I'm on my way!!!!

September 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. just me

I liked both new episodes. I laughed out loud numerous times, rewound to watch parts again.

I'M THRILLED Victoria is back! And I hope like HECK that Barney is marrying Robin, and not Nora.

And then, when Punchy and his bride were doing the same thing as Marshall and Lilly! PERFECT!!

September 20, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sarah

HIMYM is the best thing on.Barney wasn't as funny last night,but the bar has been set so high by ..himself.Marshall was so funny.I hope they give Robin more things to do,and Lily was good also! Ted and Victoria? GREAT Can't wait for Victoria to see his "date" Robin.

September 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. John

Watch House of Payne and tell me if you see any white people, what is the difference.

September 20, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • WCGL

EXCELLENT QUESTION... and the anwser from the idiot is? No answer, right? I thought so.

September 21, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  17. What's up

How is it racist? I am confused.

September 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • slap a Cheatin Ho

Because jammmal said it was, fool! Don't you know n'utn'?

September 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loren

My guess is that it is racist because there is a black woman in it and she has to pick up the tab to be interesting, and also because blacks aren't really in evidence in the show. When you think about it, it does seem sort of racist, as if blacks don't exist in New York City.

September 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jammmal

A well written show for racist, that is.

September 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

Are you trolling or are you just that stupid? How is this show racist?

September 21, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  19. Best Show... EVER

Awesome, well written, as always.

September 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |