'2 Broke Girls' a bawdy gem
September 20th, 2011

'2 Broke Girls' a bawdy gem

On paper, a rich girl being forced to waitress and being taught "street smarts" by another girl who has worked as a server all her life doesn't sound all that original or interesting. In fact, that partially describes the pilot of "Friends."

But that description doesn't mention that the veteran waitress, Max, is played by Kat Dennings, who stole every scene she was in in "Thor," not to mention "The 40-Year-Old Virgin."

The script for the series premiere, which definitely pushed the envelope for a CBS Monday night comedy, is filled with sharply delivered one-liners by Dennings, especially when playing off Caroline, a down-on-her-luck Paris Hilton type played by Beth Behrs.

Then there are the denizens of Max's restaurant, like two hipster customers whom she dresses down. There's also a pervy fry cook, and "SNL" veteran Garrett Morris as Earl, who may actually turn out to be her best friend.

As one might expect, things don't last with Max's boytoy - who hit on Caroline pretty quickly, before being caught by Max with another woman - and she's in need of a roommate. So, of course Caroline moves in with her – along with her horse. Best sight gag of the new fall season? Check.

The only drawback to this series so far is the character of Bryce (no longer Han) Lee, which walks the line of turning into a stereotype. It's truly disappointing to see this on an otherwise smart show.

After Monday night's post-"Two and a Half Men" premiere, this will normally air after "How I Met Your Mother," and it's good to see a show like this paired up with CBS' most critically acclaimed comedy. Here's hoping these "2 Broke Girls" – especially Dennings – become TV stars.

Will you keep watching? Share your iReport recap or comment below.

« Previous entry
  1. comment

i have to say that i was a bit wary about watching this, but i devided to do it because i like kat dennings...this show took me completely by surprise. it had me busting out laughing within the first few minutes, and the rest of the episode was just as entertaining.

September 22, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. amzonprincess

hubby and i laughed our butts off. great to have a show that you can just sit back and enjoy, not one of those "reality" shows where you have to guess at who is tell the truth and who is playing the game. love it, love it, love it!

September 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. seriously

I wasn't sure I liked it but at the end when there was that suggestion that they open a cupcake shop for $250,000 and then the savings total after the last scene – NOW I get it. Two broke girls can be two smart girls who take care of themselves. I hope there's some 20-somethings who are living at home thinking about getting another degree because they can't find jobs are watching this and realizing THEY are the ones in control of their outcomes, not their parents, not the economy, not significant others. I think the writers are onto something here. I hope it takes off!

September 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Richard Fore

If you google "Kat Dennings" you get to see some nude pictures she that "accidently" were taken from her cell phone. HUGE RACK!!!!!

September 20, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. sensiblyunhinged

I thought it was fairly cute. There were some stereotypical moments in it. But they were trying to catch people's attention in the Pilot. I hope it makes it. I want to see if they can come up with the $250k to do the bakery! I hope it doesn't get cancelled before that! :)

September 20, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sokman

It'll outlast 2 1/2 Men with Kutcher. You'll know the end is near when they bring Demi on in a last ditch effort for ratings, as Ashton's mom.

September 20, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. be quiet

This show is the biggest let down of the new season. The commercials looked great and my hopes were high, but it turned out to be very forced...and of course, all the best parts were in those promos.

Also, the horse in the backyard? Give me a BREAK. If you think that was the best sight gag of the season, I'm guessing you think knock knock jokes are hysterical.

September 20, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • The Stable Called @ be quiet

Well, they had to put Sarah Jessica Parker somewhere.

September 20, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Phantom

I actually DID watch the show, and yes it was trash. "Where's our waitress?" "She's coming." Cue canned laughter. Trash.

September 20, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lucy

I liked it! I think it has chops.

September 20, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. Alex

I thought it was a breath of fresh air! I'm tired of all the dramas and overacting done in most of the shows on tv right now. It wasn't meant to be a mensa show, it was meant to be sharp and funny. Which it was. Don't over-read into anything in this show. Just take it for what it is – a sarcastic, funny show with no agenda. Laugh, it won't kill you.

September 20, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. The Madd Crapper

Im looking forward to the crapping while scissoring episodes!

September 20, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Persequi

Phantom, I am racking my brain. What other shows has had an asian diner owner that makes it the most overdone stereotype on sitcom? I can only think of Happy Days....

September 20, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Phantom

I'm not saying only "Asian Diner Owners," I am saying the diner owner who happens to be Asian. I couldn't remember his name, despite the pathetic joke about it. Bryce Lee? Please. It's not like he was the only stereotype either. The cook, the cashier... everything about the show was "eye-rolling" bad.

September 20, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. BFD

If you actually watched the show you'd have seen a bit more depth from both of the characters than "stereotypical" description of the review.

While the Caroline character is a spoiled rich girl you were given a glimpse of some business savy. While the Max character is a tough street wise chick, you can see there's more warmth in her from her interaction with the kids she nanny's for. If the writers are smart and the audience patient I think this might be as great a combo as Flo and Alice.

September 20, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. Phantom

THIS is what is considered a "gem?!" It was forced, trashy, cliche... It's no wonder I barely even watch TV anymore. This is comedy for the lowest common denominator. The Asian diner owner and the ditzy rich blonde are two of the worst, most over-done stereotypes on sitcoms and TV. Everything about this show is NOTHING you haven't seen time and time again.

September 20, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Policeman

Odds on how many episodes this will last before the cuteness of the tough, working girl dishing out her street-smart wisdom to the clueless rich girl will grow stale? I'm smelling it already.

September 20, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |