What's the verdict: Jane Lynch as Emmys host
September 19th, 2011

What's the verdict: Jane Lynch as Emmys host

"Glee's" Dot Marie Jones predicted that co-star Jane Lynch would kill it and the viewers seem to agree: Lynch, although she didn't win an Emmy, earned accolades from critics as the host of the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards.

The "Glee" star opened with a self-aware love song to TV, complete with a cameo from "Parks and Recreation" fan fave Ron Swanson and arguably one of the best segments of the opener, a little repartee with the "Mad Men" cast.

Lynch kept her lines tactful, but they still landed: After "Modern Family" kept picking up awards, she quipped, "Welcome back to the 'Modern Family' awards." Following a bit with Ricky Gervais, who was still riffing on his Golden Globes debacle from earlier this year, Lynch responded, "Oh poor little Ricky Gervais, someone didn't get enough hugs from Mommy and now it's Hollywood's fault."

Salon critiques that last night's Emmys was a "surprisingly non-boring awards show." USA Today, however, wouldn't go quite as far as to call it "exciting."

Nonetheless, the paper found Lynch to be a "jovial host," delivering her lines "like a pro" and keeping the train moving, "generally managing to be amusing without getting in the way or wearing out her welcome."

The New York Times found her to be self-conscious at times. "Lynch occasionally stepped up in an appealing way....[But] A little like the show, she couldn't be calmed down and made more than one reference to being gay, which didn't seem that pertinent to the night."

But we'll have to agree with Salon that her line, "A lot of people are curious why I'm a lesbian. Ladies and gentleman, the cast of 'Entourage'" was the best of the night.

What did you think of Lynch's hosting job?

Filed under: Awards Season • Emmys • Glee • Jane Lynch

1. web hosting

We're a gaggle of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with helpful information to paintings on. You've performed an impressive job and our entire community shall be thankful to you.

May 3, 2012 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. RedWings

She is just another inadequate, flat-chested, ugly female with penis envy.

September 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SmarterthanU

She played the safety card after Ricky Gervais was slammed for ripping on 'the stars'. It was bland. May have been very edgy in the 50's, but today.....no thanks. Stay on the edge.

September 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mark

I like her but that was really boring. Better writers might have helped!!!

September 20, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. danny

Gay hollywood pushing it's agenda down the throat of the audience is not entertainment.

September 20, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. snow white

Dreadful. She was a stiff in a dress and had no charisma at all with the audience or the viewers. The only reason I watched was for Modern Family to kick ass, and they totally did ! Please find another host with the most for next year.

September 20, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. lorie goldstin

She was okay...said a couple of things that were not nice.

September 20, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. citizenUSA

I like Jane Lynch. She's been around for a while but she has really been "discovered" since her stints on "Two and a Half Men", "The New Adventures of Old Christine", and of course, "Glee". For a first time, I think she did very well. Jane is funny but she not a joke teller. And she's not trying to be. She has more of a dry wit about her. Great delivery, expessions, mannerisms, very clever. I can't believe that out of all the dresses in Hollywood, only one of the few she wore looked halfway decent.

September 20, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Sebastian Van Goober

All she needed was a tinfoil hat to go with her dress and the outfit wouldve been complete. Good thing that dress was so big. It covered up her manGoober.

September 20, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Anderson Cooper

Yes Im gay and want to play Janes meat flute.

September 20, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. SilverFox

I thought she was awful, the show was awful, long, tedious, boring. YES I finally switched to another channel. I am gay but I think she should have stayed away from any type of "gay" remarks, we all know you are gay so why bring it up. Your remarks were not funny and quite frankly "dull".

September 20, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. walletbiopsy*

Why do gays have to throw it in everyone's face constantly?

September 20, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. Otter

I've been a longtime fan of Lynch (ever since Best in Show) but felt she fell flat on the Emmys. A few good lines but that's it. And I thought she was unfair to Gervais. His bit was hysterical and it was demonstrated over and over there were no ill feelings from his targets on the Golden Globes (hasn't anyone heard of Don Rickles?!) Besides Gervais was up for an Emmy himself for hosting the Globes.

September 20, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Fuzzbee Morse from Los Angeles

Great job by Jane Lynch! She is a sheer delight.

September 20, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. sockpuppet

don't get me wrong–I think the Emmys sucked big time, but I chalk that up to the whole concept for the show and the mediocre writing. jane Lynch did as good as she could with what she was given. What I find interesting is that all the people on here who HATED her performance can't help but mention that she is gay within the same sentence. In that backwards "I don't care if she's gay, why does she have to shove it down our throats" kind of way. Which is so funny, because I think she only mentioned it to joke about the so-called gay 'agenda" of her show.
    When are you going to get it that you DO care if she's gay; that's why it pis ses you off s much when she briefly mentions it? Try a little more introspection, people.

September 20, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. Leroy Justice

It was so bad, even Jim Parsons was unfunny!

September 20, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bonnie A

I was wondering if the powers that be would consider Alyssa Milano playing Casey Anthony if a TV movie is made, she is a dead ringer for her......not that I want Casey Anthony to benefit but if you see Ms Milano she is the spitting image of her.

September 20, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  17. Juanito

Ii's painful "listening" to many of you who do not possess a scintilla of charisma and couldn't hold a candle to my cat doing something like this. This reeks of pure, thick, concentrated and sinful, envy. Get your ass on a stage for god's sake and prove me wrong!

September 20, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. NanookoftheNorth

If I had to hear her say "I'm a lesbian" one more time...............

September 20, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jason

Just like every other year, the intro is great then the rest of the show slowly deflates

September 20, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  20. Orange Sunshyne

"A lot of people wonder why I am a Lesbian."
    What a dumb f v c k i n g thing to say !

September 20, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  21. Bryan

As a gay man, I have to say I got so tired of her gay jokes. Can we stop making our lives a constant punchline?

September 19, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  22. dev

Jayne lynch is a great talent
    Im a long time fan of hers
    However,
    she should never , ever "Host" anything
    ever

she is a very talented , funny actress
    why on earth do the producers of the emmys feel that is a prequisite
    for hosting?

hosting is a talent all its own

I knew from the awful endless opening that it would be a looong night
    sorry I watched

everyone was uncomfortable
    stumbling
    it was like a jr High school show
    and OMG who dressed her?
    I'd better stop..Im really upset

September 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Don

I thought Lynch was very funny.

Whatever happened to the Cable Ace awards? Regular network TV can't compete toe to toe with cable channels with deep pockets and different standards. It's apples and oranges.

September 19, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. florian

well well, an other award show. like most of them not really funny and not really exciting. but that's not jane lyches fault, that's just the kind of show that can't really be funny. billy crystal was one of the few who could host an awards show, since then none of the hugely promoted award shows met the expectations. and then, ricky gervais at last years globes managed to to the unexpected – he made us laugh. why? because he made real jokes. not the ones he had to make. not the ones that were politically correct. not the ones someone wrote for him and not the ones people expected. and that's what made us laugh. jokes.

September 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sue

Loved her!! She was great. I actually watched the whole show this time because of her.

September 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pablo

Hollywood needs to try harder in promoting the gay and lesbian agenda. There are still several shows without their obvious promotions.

September 19, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JS

OMG- she sucked so bad! TALENTLESS! That's what most of Hollywood is now- anyway- and 99% of the viewers and critics are more moronic than ever– so it's no wonder she got good reviews. The bar has been lowered so much right now on what makes good tv. The 2011 Emmys was the WORST piece of garbage ever broadcasted on television.

September 19, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sam

I liked the office and parks n recreation skits the most

September 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Gretchen

I think that Jane did an okay job. Her one line about the Entourage cast was the funniest. But, I think that last year with jimmy Fallon as the host was just so much better. He started the show off with the Bruce Springsteen number (which was much better than Jane's start) and the show was amazing after that. Not that she was horrible, but they could have had a better show.

September 19, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. pprty

About the Gay stuff: Not necessary to comment on it, or make a production out of it.
    Straight people don't announce that they're straight (well, maybe that will happen at the next awards show).
    Didn't like the show – lame jokes, background commentator irritating.

September 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. 19esmiopa50

The Emmy's are such a joke. Lynch was not that funny and seemed very out of her element in snazzy dress. These award shoes (Oscar's included...) have lost their appeal to the masses. The younger generation doesn't park in fron of the TV nowadays. They are on the internet surfing and social networks blogging. Times are changing and the broadcasting industries need to re-invent themselves.

September 19, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. BillyDee2

Jane Lynch is a lesbian??

September 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Joe citizen abroad

Male comics have always based their material on their attraction to women. Now somehow it's "not pertinent" because Jane does it? C'mon.

September 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. clearfog

Damn. I thought they said the verdict was to lynch the Emmys host.

September 19, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Trish T

I thought it was a dud and am very upset at the joke made by Jane L. about having a brain aneurysm while waiting to come back from a skit or commercial or something. There was absolutely zero humor in that. With all the writers at her disposal, that was the best line they could come up with? Lame.

September 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  36. norez

"I've changed my dress... Thank You," would have been a funny line had it been said as a joke. I found the Gervais dig pretty nasty, considering it was made at an awards show for entertainers (Jane, meet comedy. Comedy, meet Jane.)

I fell asleep 2/3 of the way through. I've NEVER fallen asleep during the Emmys, ever, and I've been watching them for a looooong time. With a few fun exceptions (The Office bit, the best actress comedy nominee 'pageant,') it was the most dry and UN-entertaining awards show I've seen in quite a while.

And by the way, WHAT was going on with the sound all night? Most of the time it sounded (and looked) like the presenters/stage were in a different building. The shots of the crowd reminded me of the Monty Python 'audience clapping' snippet they'd put in during sketches.

September 19, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Debbie

I thought Lynch did a great job. The biggest problem with any of these shows is that while it may be important for the winner politcally to thank everyone from the director to their high school teacher; the majority of the viewers could care less. If the entertainment industry wants to have an awards show that they want the public to watch then the rule should be just a quick thank you and move on. The shows drag on for 3 hours and most of the time is in the winners thanking 20 people no one else knows are cares about.

September 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  38. john

horribly dull, stiff, awkward, not funny,....painful to watch...Lynch showed she only works as part of an ensemble – on her own is clearly NOT her strength or style...2nd worse emmy hiring decision after survivor boy to produce

September 19, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. jenni

she's hilarious!

September 19, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. TBone

Watched during breaks of SNF....Wish I hadn't as Commercials were probably better....Still good to see Peter Dinklage win, guy is tremendous on GOT. /Story

September 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  41. summertime

I didn't understand the pirate skit – but Michael can still sing.

September 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  42. urmomma

I thought she as amazing. the Emmy's were funny and made me want to con't watching. normally half way through i give up and turn the channel. I hope they ask her back cause she was by far the best!

September 19, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Fred Evil

Glee STILL sucks.
    But I love Jane Lynch!!

September 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  44. GregOre

LOVED IT!! She is so full of confidence and she was obviously not phased by anything and just having a great time by all the views back stage of her laughing and high-fiving people. She's a natural. She was the best host of an awards show in a very long time!

September 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  45. TheMacGuru

I like Jane Lynch. She was fine. The writers/producers let her host the
    WORST Emmy's ever.

September 19, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  46. brad

I don't watch HOLLYWOOD FASHION ...er.. award shows.. could care less..I'd rather watch the actors/actresses SOME of them portray then watch them portray themselves... what passes as talent today is just as bad as what passes for "news" today.. both sad states of our collective intelligence as a nation.. what we'll settle for as "entertainment" and "news"..

September 19, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. r j gould

what a bore-too many shows that award people making too much money

September 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  48. the_dude

Was that Chaz Boneo hosting the emmy awards last night?

September 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Toni

What I wondered was where shows like "Weeds" and Sons of Anarchy" played, because of their absence. There were a couple clips of "Weeds" in the montages but otherwise. . . .

September 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Helen Keller

You know I would have watched the Emmy's last night but DirecTV is in a battle with Northwest Broadcasting (FOX) (http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2011/2/1/directv-fox-reach-temporary-agreement Though I am not in Yakima this has gone on since last winter) and we had NO FOX last night (or today). How convenient. Just a little fishy it would happen during a highly rated/watched show.

September 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sleepless in Seattle

She was absolutely horrible!!!!
    Can't stand to watch her; listening to her was worse.
    The line about the cast of Entourage; uncalled for...
    But I will give her this..
    She was light years ahead of Charlie Sheen...who had a hard time controlling himself as he made a feeble attempt to come off as sincere. America wake the heck up...CS is never sincere; he can fake it when it helps his career or love life but that is about it...how could he get a spot on the show in the first place?

September 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  52. PHILLIPA HALLAM

After the lumbering yawn of the opening (it made me miss Neil Patrick Harris), Jane Lynch did the best she could with a really lame script. She glammed up pretty good considering that she would probably have preferred a tux. Loved The Lonely Island, hated Michael Bolton's annoying falsetto voice Did he just go through castration and wanted us all to share in his pai?.

September 19, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  53. gs

Lynch was a great host. Funny....The MadMen and other little tidbits were fun along with the line about the Entourage cast ever so true and smart. The little singing group was totally unnecessary and stupid. The presenters were "ok". except one or two with
    really jerky stupid intros. What kind of a bowl was Julianna Marguilies wearing??? ugly. And good ol Katie Holmes looked like she just came from the Gym. Gwynette looked ridiculous as did many others...they do get tiresome patting themselves on the back all the time, vogueing and attention seeking...thank God for the DVR...

September 19, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Carrock

I didn't see the show, but I hated it anyway....

September 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  55. CT

Jane was great-charming, funny and not overbearing like many hosts in such venues. Loved the opening number.

September 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Neel

From what I saw of the Emmy's yesterday, it looks like there is a real fight going on between the Oscar's and the Emmy's to see who sucks the most!

September 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

No, no fight at all, ALL awards shows SUCK equally. As do the idiots who watch them....

September 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  57. AZGolfer

Between the Emmys, the Academy Awards, Tony's, People's Choice, BET awards, Grammy's, and Country Music awards, they sure like to give themselves awards!

September 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  58. JV

Sorry I was watching Michael Vick get a concussion. Now that was entertainment!

September 19, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Dems R Commies

No fish jokes or any about the little Dutch boy? That is part of her routine and I was hoping she would do it.

September 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mejazzbo

Much better than Ricky Gervais could have done since I believe the idea is to have fun and be entertained.

September 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Barbara

Jane was an excellent host. The Emmys were so much more entertaining than the Oscars this year. I loved every minute, especially the Memorium. Il Divo's singing such a good accomplement. I wanted to rewind and listen again. Yes, I believe, the Emmys were very good and I hope Jane gets to host again.

September 19, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Terryshilo

I don't usually like award shows. It was an alright program. I do think that Jane Lynch is funny as heck. She's likeable. She seems secure in herself and can take a joke as well as give one. I enjoyed her hosting the show. Job well done.

September 19, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  63. PEPPER

Jane you were AWESOME!

September 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Leafonthewind

I agree with USA Today's assessment: she was amusing without becoming annoying.

September 19, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  65. stormy miller

i think jane lynch was entertaining and she kept the show from being boring.

September 19, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Lizzie

I agree with the people who said she didn't have to flaunt her lesbianism. In some peoples opinions they think lesbians are hot but I think they are weird people if they are all like Jane. For some reason I like Ellen even though she is lesbian. Jane seems like a "know it all" person and I dislike people like that. I think she did a bad job.

September 19, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottie

You know, I agree - there are some straight people that I like, like James Franco despite the fact that her dares to be straight. But then there are those weird ones like right-wing christians and people who open their mouths and become even more stupid - even those holier-than-though people *cough*hypocrits*cough* who think that we all should be just like them. ::grumble grumble:: idiots.

September 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  67. APD

Did none of you watch the opening? The gay jokes were because she was 'pretending' to be Ellen DeGeneres.

September 19, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Zorro

Didn't watch, don't have TV, but need to comment based on what it looks like happened – balance. Looks like last year's show created issues for viewers with the nasty commentary by Mr. Gervais? If so, then it stands to reason they intentionally created a show this year to potentially win back a lot of viewers lost from last year by utilizing a host that exhibited self-deprecating humor (to win the people back frustrated with Gervais poking fun at others) with a little bit of an edge (to try to make the other people happy with a little risque). Did it work?

September 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leafonthewind

Your comment is very uninformed. Last year's host was Ellen Degeneris. Rickey Gervais' notoriety was due to his hosting of the Golden Globe awards last year, not the Emmys. Not sure why you bothered to comment at all.

September 19, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Forrestal

I didn't watch the Emmys, but I watched 15 minutes of Glee once and concluded there is no way you can watch that show without becoming more stupid.

September 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Marci in CT

ADORE HER..TRULY FUNNY LADY THAT MAKES ME LAUGH

September 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  71. OldieTampaBay

Jane was WONDERFUL! The show stunk.

September 19, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Joseph L Cooke

Who?

September 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Robert

Jane is an exceptional talent! I love her on "Glee" and she did a fantastic job hosting last night!

September 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  74. mARKO

I HATED HER AND HER STUPID JOKES. SHE ISN'T FUNNY GAY OR STRAIGHT.
    I TURNED AWAY.

September 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Mike

Lesbianz (*fap*) are hot (*fap *fap *fap*...)

September 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  76. peterflorida

Jayne is not a singer or a comedian, she might be a fun person to be around but thats it. Where is Bette Midler when you need her? Agree there was no need for her mentioning being gay more than once if necessary. Charlie Sheen should just go away – the looks on the audience was priceless – did you guys notice most guests did not applaud his entrance? and to start with "I have to get something off my chest" is usually something that's bothering you, not a "best wishes" line – so that was really a "go *** yourselves" wishes to his ex-show (who watches it anyway?). Agree there were audio problems. Agree it was boring most of the time and totally agree the beauty pageant mock was funny.; too bad that was it. Jimmy Fallon is not funny. Really, the musical numbers were awful, especially those announcing the genres... Sofia Vergara, best dressed and hottest TV star. Reality shows... really? Modern Family, well deserved: back to basics, good-family values, watch the show with your family people.

September 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. georgie moore

Oh my, sorry all but I thought the show was great – Loved Jane – she was very refreshing to me. The singing for the memorial actually gave me chills – those boys sure could sing, I love looking at the stars and their beautiful dresses and suits. Kind of a Fantasy World.

September 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Elton John

Too Butchy-Dikey

September 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  79. UGH

Jane is a nice person, but the show was HORRIBLE! All these "talented" people can't seem to do anything unless it's written for them. The "jokes" were terrible and fell flat most of the evening. Enough of the singing and please no more Michael Bolton!

September 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  80. DonDada

I'm sorry, but Don Knotts should sue Jane Lynch for copyright infringement. I know a lot of you are too young to remember Mr. Knott's, but I can tell you that all Jane Lynch has done is steal his comic persona and put it in a different package. Don is probably one of the most under appreciated comic stars ever, but his persona was completely unique. That's why it so easy to recognize all of the bits she has stolen from him.

September 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leafonthewind

I am old enough to remember Don Knotts, and I saw nothing in Lynch's hosting performance that reminded me of Knotts in any way at all. If I had, I would have turned it off, since Don Knotts was always very annoying to me.

September 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Livvy

I kind of enjoyed it. This was the first award show I watched in a long time. Lonely Island was by far my favorite! I honestly didn't think she did as bad of a job hosting. It wasn't the worst one ever. Award shows are never going to be full of entertainment. It was a good alternative to the football game since True Blood is finished for the season.

September 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  82. yicker

better than franco/hathaway AND Gervais, who was just hateful and mean.

September 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  83. becca

I can't believe all you people actually watched that crap last night! Now you "comment" on whether the show was "good or bad." Really? Thank goodness I watched football last night – much more entertaining!

September 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leafonthewind

Snob. You might want to lower your nose just a tad, becca, before a flock of pigeons comes along and lets loose on ya.

September 19, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Nightryder

The articles that the entertainment writers listed today said the complete opposite in saying Jane was a winner. This is the problem!!!.......................Entertainment writers have no idea how the public perceives a series let alone Emmy MCs. The writers are just as spaced out as the studio execs since they have no taste and original concepts.

September 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  85. meccano

I found Miss Lynch to be an exceedingly likable host who poked a little fun at herself and her Television co workers. One of most enjoyable award shows in recent memory.

September 19, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  86. alisha

I think she did a great job. The part I didn't like was Modern Family and all the HBO/Showtime awards.. There is more to TV then just these shows..

September 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Darlene

Can not believe the best part of that show was
    Charlie Sheen who would have thought...

September 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Thor

I think Jane Lynch is so damn hot. I'd like to serve by her side any day....The gods play such crappy jokes...

September 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  89. david ruderman

who cares?

September 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Jim

To each his own, but I think the Emmys could use a "debacle" like Ricky Gervais's Golden Globe performance.

September 19, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  91. joni

BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 19, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Andrew

I think she didn't do so well, she seemed like she wasn't comfortable. She also seemed like she wanted to yell out all her political affiliations, I guess just like Glee. CNNs take is very predictable, if she's gay or pro gay, that's all you have to say to be liked by CNN viewers, they don't care about content, as long as they see you as progressive.

September 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  93. it was good

I think she did good. Her singing we know is not the best, but it was ok. The metion of her being gay was not needed and you could tell the audience thought the same. I am gay and thought it took the wrong turn. The banter between the presenters was really bad, the crapy thing that Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kemble was strange. Rolling around on the floor, REALLY!? Katie Holems looked druged up. Perhaps so she would not run away. I loved what Amy Poehler did. She may have dine that to put some like back in the show. All in all I thing Jane should be able to do it in the future, but get a better styliest.

September 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Jamesnyc

Sorry, it was the worst Emmys I have ever seen. The insipid singers, the writing for the presenters that always seemed to be forced, contrived and terrible. Jane Lynch is talented but this was awful. The dorky voice over comments. Yeeech!

September 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  95. MixMasterJ

She was fine for first time around. Lines written for the presenters were incredibly lame. And as for you Teabaggers, keep on Teabaggin'. At least you won't be able to talk with your mouths full...freakin' LOSERS!

September 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Tom

Worst ever Emmy Show. I like Jane Lynch but she did not help this show at all. Where the critics kind because she is gay. I hope not.

September 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  97. fisk

Jane Lynch did as good a job as possible with what was given to her. The writers forgot to bring the funny.... Line after line fell flat, the opening segment was horrible, and the whole show just wasn't funny or entertaining. From now on, ALL AWARD SHOWS SHOULD BE HOSTED BY RICKY GERVAIS. He, can bring the funny....

September 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Cathy Stratton

I really think if the sound had been better, you could have heard laughing and clapping which would have helped the tv audience. Mic the audience better.

September 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  99. be quiet

The snarky comments made by the horrid male voiceover guy when the winner was announced were so out of place and annoying. Get rid of that for next year!

September 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  100. barbara telasky

I forgot to say how bad the sound was. There was an announcer who , I think, was saying something funny about each winner as they walked up to receive their award, but it was so muffled I couldn't hear what he was saying.

September 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Sue

I started watching at 8 PM closed the tv at 8:10 PM. Could not take anymore of her.

September 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Dan Elston

As all of these self serving Hollywood award shows go it stunk. These half baked TV stars get dressed up and pat themselves on the back and act like fools. It stunk. A waste of time, it stunk.

September 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  103. MO

I thought the writing was HORRIBLE!! She did the best she could with what she was given.

September 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Stacy

I thought the Emmy's were great and Jane Lynch as host was Fantastic! She did a great job!!!!!! Is there any way she can host EVERYTHING????

September 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • barbara

You must have been watching a different show than I watched ... she tried so hard to be funny, but she just wasn't.

September 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  105. henfer

Oh! The the Emmys on last night?

September 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  106. question

what no "like" button here? ...and have to log in every time i'd like to make a comment... last post... last time here, for that matter. CNN GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER!!

September 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  107. amy

It isn't really her performance that is the issue, it was fine. It's more that these awards shows seem incredibly distasteful in these times. Guess what Hollywood-you're not that important, you're shows aren't that great, and your over the top self congratulatory award shows are lame.

September 19, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  108. KrisPy

I watched the first hour of the program and then shut it off. Jane Lynch's hosting left a lot to be desired - she wasn't funny or entertaining and she certainly didn't keep me tuned in. I agree with others that have said if you purchase the premium cable channels you are really in the dark about some of the shows and actors in the running for awards. I short...I found the whole event boring including the pre-show red carpet interviews.

September 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • KrisPy

Oops!! Meant to say that if you DON'T purchase the premier cable channels you don't know some of the shows and actors in the running for the awards.

September 19, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  109. barbara

I didn't think she was one iota funny. Let me count the reasons why ... She tried too hard to be funny. She brought attention to her being gay so many times I wanted to scream. It was really ridiculous. As if we don't already know. Like who cares as long as it makes you happy but don't bore me with it. ... and she did bore me. And How about those dressed? She looked more masculine in those than she did when she's was wearing a man's tuxedo! The skit about New Jersey was downright awful and the writers should be ashamed of themselves for thinking the audience would think it was funny.

September 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  110. ellen

I thought the show was awful.. not funny at all and it seemed very strained. There are so many wonderful shows on television with terrific cast members that could have done a much better job! It was not just Jane Lynch's performance.. the entire show was just plain boring

September 19, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  111. nu-kid

without Merrill ...just not the same...

September 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  112. gandalf

she sucked as a host and her opening skit was embarrassing. where was ncis ?

September 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  113. shih128

boring, boring and boring... I fell asleep.. need I say more!

September 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Kris

Jane Lynch was great, but some of the skits were lame. She is a great actor and funny and did a great job.

September 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Robin

JANE LYNCH ROCkED IT!!! Best host they've had in years. Truly fun through-and-through.

September 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Sara

I think the problem was, the TV audience couldn't really hear the live audience's reaction. Jokes are always funnier when you have someone to giggle with.

September 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Kansan

I loved the show. I thought Jane Lynch did a wonderful job as the hostess of the night. I laughed many times throughout the show. After watching the MTV VMA's of course anything could look great! That show was a train wreck.

September 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Back in the Woods

But the Advertisements, and the advertisements of the advertisements, were great!

September 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Folkwolf101

Awful! Her jokes had no comedic timing and fell flat most of the time. She became too self-focused. After a while, I began forward winding to get to each award segment. Bring back Ricky! That said, the best part of the show was when they sent Jessy Pinkman to the Office to drop off meth. Very funny.

September 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  120. WinkC

Another example of overkill...Hate GLEE and Awards show was just and extention of it...Was happy for Modern Family well deserved!

September 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  121. momofbron

I love Jane Lynch. I think that she is hysterically funny. She plays Charlie Sheens psychiatrist on 2-1/2 men. I don't watch glee, too hokey for my taste, but she is an incredible actress.

September 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Steve

I didn't see it. I was watching the Sunday night football game.

September 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  123. LisaP

I thought the awards last night were great! The funniest was the ladies running on stage and Jimmy Fallon's skirmish. Will agree though that Charlie Sheen made things awkward and his apology could not have seemed less sincere.

On another note, love "Big Bang", but how did Carell not win?!?!?

September 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Shumanka

She did a good job for the first time. I would watch the Oscars if she hosted. Jokes were tasteful and she probably could have gone a little farther with some of them. There are still too many people that need to get over themselves and let comedy be comedy.

September 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • I left a butt weasel in your vegetable crisper

Jane is about as entertaining as a door-knob.

September 19, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shumanka

You must mean like your mom. Or like your mom does to you?

September 19, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Vasilios

Simply put...she was brilliant.

September 19, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Agee

What's with all this gay-glamorizing thing on TV and movies these days? Why do we need to have it crammed down our throats?

September 19, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shumanka

Was that a pun??

September 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod in Texas

Because you are too stupid to realize that being gay isn't a bad thing so the public has to remind you. It's funny that you don't want gay issues crammed down your throat but how many times do we hear about straight marriage issues? What celebrity is dating who? Isn't that cramming things down people's throat as well? Bigot!

September 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dill Doh

Because you like it that way?

September 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Phil Johnson

I don't know why you bother asking the public what they think about anything. There is always someone who will hijack the discussion and start abusing the subject or other viewers who comment on the subject.

September 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Joe

More PR nonsense that's now being sifted through CNN.
    EVERY review of her I saw said she was pretty bad.

September 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  129. BoredViewer

I love Jane Lynch and would probably sit and watch her eating her lunch and enjoy it. But the problem was not Jane – it was the writing and skits. They were terrible. It was awkward, boring and embarassing for the people involved.

They need to replace the Product, Director, writers......

September 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • mjinmd

I agree that Jane Lynch did a good job with the material she was handed. I slept through a lot of it because it was so boring. Probably a lot of the boredom was caused because I have never watched Modern Family.

September 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  130. vivien

Horrible show, terrible host. No one in the audience laughed at the jokes – it was pretty sad. I thought Charlie Sheen making an appearance and wishing his former co-workers well was the best part of the show – the rest was juvenile and stupid – geared toward immature men aged 16-35.

September 19, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  131. andrew

I didn't watch it, it was too gay!

September 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  132. There were awards for shows not named 'Modern Family'?

Seriously, something has to be done about the ridiculous nomination rules that allow the same show to hog up 2, 3, or 4 of the nomination slots for a single category. Next year, I won't even bother to tune in for the "Modern Family" awards. It's not a bad show, but it's far from the only well-done comedy out there. Let's see a little variety in the nominations.

And Jane did just fine in spite of poor writing. Not the best ever but sure not the worst. But what the heck were those singing intros for the genres? Lame beyond belief. Even LL Cool J couldn't rap right. Awkward!

September 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Ricky Gervais

I think it was the most ****** boring thing I have seen in my whole ******* life. If I'm ever asked back again for that *******show, I will tell them to **** my *****! The academy is full of ***** *********!

September 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  134. ME

Still continuing my 100% streak of not watching. Still not regretting missing it.

September 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Lyla

Jane Lynch was fantastic. She is so natural delivering her lines, gaining laughs, but not demeaning anyone in a serious way. She is very attractive, confident and I think she did an amazing job as emcee. The show itself managed to keep up with her pace with a few award surprises along the way. Always fun to watch what everyone is wearing, how they look, who they are with. I say Bravo!

September 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

I totally agree. I thought she was very funny and her dry, witty comments were right on target. So many haters!!! Not all of the show itself was great but I thought Jane Lynch did a helluva job.

September 20, 2011 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  136. Pappy

BORING, poor writing, horrific voice overs – Lynch was saddled with something even she could not overcome – should be a lot of heads rolling this morning including the producers – what were they thinking?

September 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Don't like awards shows

I don't much care for awards shows, watching industry people pat themselves on the back is boring. I usually only tune in the last 1/2 hour or so to see the memories vignette for those who have passes away, I thought they did a nice job especially with the singers/song they used. Otherwise I can't really comment as I didn't pay attention.

September 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Patti

I read this article because I like her. Not because she's gay or a good host but because I like HER. Could not care less about the Emmys and the fact that some of you are bickering about who is the best host or whether or not it was boring is just................well sad. Should have watched Breaking Bad or read a book.

September 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  139. QuietStormX

I watched the show even thow on;y I think two or three African Americans were nominated for their work? But as I did I thought it was entertaining and funny at times. There has to be more color in the media period like in this nation and stories for these people. I get tired of seeing whole white casts and stories...

September 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • ray ray

And I get tired of seeing black actors who have no more acting ability than a 6th grader acting in the Christmas play. One either wants quality or bigotry. Seems you prefer the latter.

Perhaps only 3 Americanized africans were nominate because the remainder of them did work that stink, stank, stunk. Did that thought ever bounce around in the bigot head of yours. Grow up, PUNK!

September 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Tyler Perry, is that you?!?

September 19, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Sean

No, not Tyler, he's too busy counting his money...lol

September 20, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  140. Pete

Just NOT funny! The musical was bizarre at best. The presenters attempts at humor were really bad, Lynch had only a couple of funny moments. The comedy writers for the show should be fired. Lynch's performance was mediocre. Trying to be funny, and BEING funny are two different things!

September 19, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Colin in Florida

Horrible show. The writer should be blacklisted for stupidity. I turned off after about 30 minutes. Storage Kings was better.

September 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Tina

The critics must have been watching a different show. I don't blame Jane Lynch – I'm sure she didn't conceive this mess. The people who know of her want to see more "Sue Sylvester", not a Florence Henderson wannabe. The people who don't know of her are probably wondering what the fuss is all about. The major exception was her sequence with the Mad Men cast in the opener. The lines fed to the presenters were so unfunny, it was pathetic and uncomfortable. I really enjoy these award shows, but I had to turn this one off – I couldn't take it any more and didn't care who won what!

September 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  143. firenze2

She was the very best host in absolute ages...kept it fast paced, no redundant jokes, introductions were short, comedic timing perfect. Let's make her President and get the ball rolling for CHANGE!

September 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  144. LA

Who still watches the Emmy's? The fashion always sucks. The Comics are unfunny. Next...

September 19, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Loopman

I made it through the first 60 – 90 seconds of the opening number and got an uncomfortable feeling that the whole show was going to be a SnoozeFest. Didn't watch after that. Good thing I didn't. The one time my spidey senses were right and I can't even gloat about it. Shucks!!!!

September 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  146. DBSaint

Watched about 45 minutes of the show and some points were funny, but Jane's comment toward Ricky was in poor taste and showed she's a tool like 99% of hollywood. Also, I don't carethat she's gay but I could have done without all the comments.

September 19, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • anna

Agreed! Big turn-off, taking him to task for calling it like it is. Big egos in Hollywood and Ricky had it right. Stopped watching after that.

September 19, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  147. humor amiss

It is said that a lot of it was gay humor. It use to be a show I would watch with my family, but alas it is gradually being dragged into the gutter. The large musical number was the most ridiculous and emabarassing thing towards Hollywood. It was pointless and made no sense and just hyping on self gratification. It was not that funny, yet I like Jane Lynch, they have been way better in the past. Sad that the high quality show has been lost.

September 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  148. AS

people still watch the emmy's?

September 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  149. JJDLS

I thought the show was really lame, the "jokes" were so dull the musical 'acts" were ridiculous and not funny and the only thing Jane Lynch said that was even remotely funny was when introducing the cast of Entourage. I don't care who wins or loses on these awards shows I don't watch much of the shows nominated but I thought it would be entertaining, wrong.

September 19, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Missy

I totally agree with the post of Allymax, the comments by the announcer were totally infantile.....this show was not produced or directed or written well at all...boring, boring, boring...and bringing on Sheen was awkward and embarrassing...

September 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  151. CeeJaa

I thought she did a good job - If anything, the writing was the problem for the presenters.

September 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Rich Black

I love Gay people!

September 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Hashim

For more info read novel - king of Bat'ha

September 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  154. MC in TX

She did well. But Fallon's hosting was perhaps the best I've ever seen, and Lynch unfortunately did not come close to that in terms of being entertaining. The jokes were cute but somewhat predictable. Overall a lot of it seemed like pretty canned stuff even if it was well executed.

Still like the woman, though.

September 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • fastball

It's network TV....they don't want anything too intellectual, too racy, too out-there. They want it nice and simple and white-bread...just like most of their audience.
      Ever notice how all the best, award-winning shows are on cable or PBS??

September 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canine Humper

It was a big pile of SHYT!

September 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  155. georgie

Worst Emmy awards show ever.

September 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  156. m morrison

a waste of time. poor poor, bad

September 19, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Bailey

It was way too long in the intro. Somewhat good at first then boring,,,,,

September 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Pliny

Thank you Traci.

Today was shaping up to be interesting and exciting.

And then you came along to remind everyone about how boring and mundane life can be.

Keep on repeating that same one post of yours....eventually, the rest of the human race will come around and think just like you do....a 5-year-old.

September 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Rory

Gervais was only not liked by the critics who were (are) still sucking up to Hollywood so they can get interviews with the stars or some other unknown reason. Admitting he did a great job and (appropriately) poked fun at Lalaland would bring them down to the level of the rest of the world. Did not watch the show last night so I can't comment on Lynch's job, but if the critics thought Gervais was not good due to his treatment of the stars, shouldn't they be unimpressed with Lynch's jibe at him?

September 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  159. flyonthewall

Best part of the Emmys............not watching any of it!

September 19, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat in IL

What a silly comment. If you didn't watch any of it, why would you even have a comment to make?

September 19, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Seeing the comment was about not watching it I think the fact that he didn't watch it would be reason for making the comment...

September 19, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • jj

Those who don't own a TV shouldn't comment! ;>

September 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • MOZIL

@Pat in IL Because this is America and they are free to.

September 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beachobx

Flyonthewall – Can you say 'nonsensical comment'? Probably not.

September 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Wendy

I thought the show was unbearably unfunny and boring. So did all my friends. Were the critics watching another show??

September 19, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • cleoreve

I agree Wendy. My hubby and I thought it was the most BORING, un-interesting Emmy show we've ever watched. Jane did a good job for what she had to do, but, the writing for this thing was AWFUL! The lines the presenters had to say...... the audience never did laugh, that I remember! I kept telling my husband, "NO ONE is laughing at anything!" It was actually uncomfortable.

September 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • debbie

Come on – you have to admit that when the best actress for comedy was being announced and all the women walked on stage – now that was funny! Playing it off like a pageant. I loved that!

September 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  161. patNY

This ranks as the second worst awards show ever...Second only to Rob Lowe's Disney musical opening for the Oscars back in the late 1980s, and that's not saying much...whoever scripted this show show should be fired!

September 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Allymax

You're right, PatNY – one of the worst award shows in history. Jane can't sing, the opening segment went on forever, the "banter" between presenters must've been written by a nine-year-old and the voice-overs when winners walked up to get awards were infantile. They may have brought the telecast in on time but it felt like a five hour ordeal. At least Gervais was funny.

September 19, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Carole

I couldn't agree more. The banter was beyond infantile, and I couldn't even hear/understand what the person was saying when people walked up to the stage. What I did hear was awful. And yes, re Jane Lynch's references to being gay: Who cares?

I did think the "Miss America" bit that started off with Amy Poehler running onto the stage was very funny. Other than that, can't think of anything else that really stood out positively in an otherwise endless show. "Good sport" Charlie Sheen's well wishes were ridiculous–especially when followed by John Cryer and Ashton Kutcher making fun of him. Had their positions on the show been reversed, it might have been a nice moment for Sheen. Where was the director?

September 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • maxine

We were bored to tears. This was a crappy awards show.
      The only save was Charlie Sheen's ghost, and the look on Mrs. Steve Carrell's face when Jim Parsons won for BBT.

September 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackie Mallett

I agree..it was awful...terrible writing..I felt sorry for Jane cause she is so much funnier than that show was !!!

September 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carole

I agree, this show sucked. I like Jane L but not as a host. They will never top Ricky Gervais at the Globes. That was entertainment! Hollywood would never dare get anyone like him again as they can't take the heat dished out. I found the Globes to be one of the funniest and entertaining awards shows ever......the Oscars was terrible too. That is what Hollywood gets when they go safe.

September 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

It was a howl watching everyone on the show having such a good time, maybe you didnt like it because you were at home eating catfood out of a can. Can you spell loser on your keyboard lady!

September 20, 2011 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Marlee

patNY,

I had to chuckle at your comment ... when I was flipping through the channels and saw Jane doing the dance number my first thought was "this reminds me of the opening number of the Oscars with Rob Lowe and Snow White." I watched it for about 20 seconds and thought "are they spoofing the Rob Lowe Oscars?"

September 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  162. bieberfan24

Plus everyone loves lesbeans. They are hot hot hot !

September 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • DBSaint

You know that Jane was the host last night right?

September 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • turbi

She was a co-host, that is she shared in the responsibility for the debacle. Great that Showtime and other pay sites are considered for these awards and if you have never watched the program and they win over the ones you believe should ...kind of makes you feel special doesn't it...???

September 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  163. bieberfan24

I think she did good. She is a likeable and classy person.

September 19, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • debbie

I thought she did a great job! Her skits were funny. The problem with the show was that too many cable shows were winngin – or Modern Family – so there wasn't much variety. If you don't watch HBO or Showtime you probably didn't know half of the shows that were even nominated. Many of the shows that I watch and love by the 'regular' networks did not get nominated for anything! And that's a shame because Modern Family certainly is not all that. That was the boring part of the show for me – well plus the presenters did have some lame lines. But Jane did good and she should do it again, but maybe wear something she's more comfortable in. Didn't seem like she liked the dressing up part.

September 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ElizabethAnn

I thought Jane Lynch was a horrible host. She didn't have one funny line and her self-deprecating statements rang hollow. I haven't watched Glee either due to her character of Sue beingover-the-top mean and demeaning. Viewers can only take that for so long. 2012 Emmys deserve a talented host/hostess.

September 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • pfg

i thought Jane Lynch was dry, dull and really needed the folks who write for her on Glee. The show was just AWFUL!!

September 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • obpenguin

Did I miss the part of a special award like Life Time Achievement and or Humanitarian? I think that this is the first award show that did not honor someone by the Televison Arts and Sciences. The memoriam was way to over powered by the singing. The song was noce however should have been much softer in respect. It was about the people who passed not the performance of the singers. Show was just OK. Jane definately needed to wear something she was more comfortable in.

September 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Howard

O.K., Jane is a lesbian. Terrific. I'm happy for her. But there is no good reason why she should use such an event to proclaim it to everyone who didn't already know. It had no more to do with the purpose of the show than if she were to have announced the color of her bra and panties she was wearing that evening.

September 19, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pixelologist

I dare say you've just demonstrated that lesbians can be a lot classier than you, @jb5980.

September 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Howard

Here's a thought. Cable shows compete for an award (Cable Ace) from which network shows are excluded. Why not an awards show for the network shows from which cable shows are excluded? Wait, wasn't that what the Emmy's were?

September 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

I think that the Emmys were trouble!!!

September 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beachobx

She was great – funny and entertaining. She made the gay reference to be FUNNY – that's the objective in these awards shows. For goodness sakes, stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. Kudos to Jane.

September 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ckm

terrible did not like the show at all. Won't watch it next year.

September 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gateway Oaks

Because she opened and her singing and style did not pop – I changed the channel and never looked back.

September 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • carolyn

She's like a man, sorry. Very creepy woman. They could have found someone else to do this.

September 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ariel

I thought she was boring. Too butch for dresses. I did not like the musical thing.

September 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • willard43

I'd never seen the Emmys, but I thought this was way better than the last few Oscars I've seen. Kudos to Jane Lynch and all for a fun show.

September 19, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Listen, to all of the people who can't understand why Network shows don't win or even get nominated at the Emmy's, it's because they're not very good. If you actually step outside of your box and try watching carefully crafted, brilliantly written and acted shows like Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Louis, It's Always Sunny, Breaking Bad or Dexter, you'll see why network shows like Bones, House, and Grey's Anatomy come across as trite and hackneyed. The only shows worth watching on network TV right now are 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Community and Bob's Burgers. A lot of the disadvantage comes from the format that network shows use, they have long runs of 20+ shows, whereas cable favors a shorter run of 10-12 episodes/season. This allows the writers more time to create a wonderful scrip, which in turn brings in better actors, producers and directors who also are also enticed by the shorter shoot schedule, cable also allows it's creative teams to take more risks. Until the networks adopt this format they will continue to lose, badly. Besides the Emmys are for the television industry to give themselves a pat on the back, not you the viewer at home. You're just lucky that you're invited along for the ride, I mean the Emmy's weren't even nationally aired until the 70's, so stop whining!

September 19, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Latlu

Ditto, Kelly. Except that I would choose different favorites: True Blood, Treme, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Closer, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, and The Big C. I would rather watch reruns of true art like Six Feet Under, Big Love, Oz, The L Word, and Carnivale than anything on network television other than CSI Las Vegas or Criminal Minds. But times are tough and many people cannot afford cable channels. It's sad because the difference is night and day and people really have no idea what they are missing...

September 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • kathy

BORING....... DULL.....NOT FUNNY.....I FELL ASLEEP for part of it...... NOT worth watching

September 19, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I'm sorry. I struggled through 1/2 hour, and couldn't take anymore. It was a disaster. The worst I've ever seen.

September 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • TN cowboy

Maybe I expected too much, got very little. I'm tired of I'm gay, you're gay, who gives a crap. Move on. The writing was really bad.

September 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnnieg

I am sick and tired of Gays pushing the gay movement on tv .Ellen is the worst with her tie ,pants jacket and stupid shoes .Be gay , live your life, but keep it to yourselve . I don't tell everyone my personal life . I don't like the gay life. Ellen buys her audiance every show with gifts . enough is enough .
      Lynch sucked , not a lesbian but as a host . Back to two & half men

September 19, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lance Sterling

Lynch was only chosen because she is on a Fox show. I'm surprised they didn't pick Glen Beck to host.

September 20, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
    • dewlove43220

@Howard....The Cable Ace awards haven't been given out since 1997. Once the Emmy's started recognizing cable shows more, the Ace became obsolete.

September 20, 2011 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
    • dewlove43220

....Also, why would broadcast networks need a separate awards show? They still won ALL of the comedy awards (7 for 7) and most of the TV movie/mini awards (4 of 7) as well as Drama Lead Actress, Variety Directing, and Reality Program. That's 14 of the 25 awards given out on Sunday night. Not bad when you consider there's 6 broadcast networks among the hundreds of cable networks.

September 20, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

I think she was really great, she is classy and brassy.

September 20, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicky

She was HORRIBLE!!!! Had to turn it off. Who ever hired her should be fired. Can't believe she herself won an award. That was the biggetst joke. Truly a non-event. So much talent out there and they picked her. I don't watch Glee due to her. ANNOYING..... What to screw it up....

September 20, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  164. George Strait

How do you walk strait? I only know how to walk straight.

September 19, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  165. JT

Can't stand it when someone is smarter than you, can you?

September 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  166. fastball

What the heck does being "liberal" have to do with the show?

September 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Terry

Lighten up it's a entertainment awards show not the teabagger of the year awards

September 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  168. EGB2

If you want comedy, go to a Tea Party rally and watch some real stooges at work.

September 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Steven

Seriously? You can't check your politics for a moment. If you don't want liberal, don't watch award shows. They are not know for their tea party or GOP contingents. You might want to stick with re-runs of Sarah Palin's Alaska.

September 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Con Brio

A Liberal? On Fox? Anyone else see the oxymoron there?

September 19, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Cowboy

Can't afford to go to party, have to pay for all the low life's living large on gov programs. PS, show was worst ever.

September 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Viktor

lmaooo what's up with your 'name'?

September 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Agee

You mean wiener, don't you, instead of weiner???

September 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  174. knorm

HAHAHAHA!

September 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Marvin Gay

I don't know how to walk strait, either....

September 19, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  176. SilverFox

Brillant reply........................

September 20, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  177. Your son is playing my meat flute

Perhaps next year Jane will show us her massive meat flute.

September 20, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |