September 19th, 2011

Upon turning 60, Sting still feels like a teen

If anyone knows how to throw a party, it’s Sting. And the musician has good reason to pull out all the stops for his upcoming birthday – he’s turning 60.

(We know what you're thinking, because we thought it too: "Wha…?! Sting is 60? How did this happen?!")

“I don't feel 60,” Sting tells CNN. “I feel like I'm 14-and-a-half in many respects.”

Nevertheless, the celebration planned for October 1 (his actual birthday is the 2nd) is definitely more suited to a veteran rock star than a pimply teenager. Pals Lady Gaga, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Will.i.am and Vince Gill are among those who will join him on stage at New York’s Beacon Theatre for a charity concert.

“And the only stipulation is that they come and sing my songs,” Sting says with a laugh. “They're allowed to roast me, they're allowed to sing the songs in any way they choose. I’ll probably play bass and sing backup and sing a couple of songs on my own, but…I'm there to be entertained. It's my idea of a good party.”

All proceeds from ticket sales for the event will go to the Robin Hood Foundation, which seeks to fight poverty in New York City.

For Sting, birthdays and performance go hand in hand.

“I wasn't given a lot of attention as a child,” he said lightheartedly. “That's why I became a rock star. So having a birthday party and being on stage is fantastic. I don't like cakes and candles very much but I like singing on my birthday.”

The former Police front man is also commemorating 25 years as a solo musician with a box set, “Sting: 25 Years,” out September 27. It features re-mastered versions of tracks dating back to his first solo album, “The Dream of The Blue Turtles” (which actually came out 26 years ago in 1985).

And not one to sit still, Sting will soon hit the road on the “Back to Bass” tour, promising stripped down theater concerts across North America. The tour kicks off in Boston on October 21 with Sting backed by a five piece band comprising “two guitars, two violins, a bass and drums.”

“I have no idea what that's going to sound like,” says Sting. “But I like throwing the cards up in the air and seeing where they land. It may be a complete failure but I'm not afraid of that. I like to take a chance. I think surprise is everything in music.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Sting

1. Angry

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, ALWAYS with the negative waves! Oh, don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning.

Happy Birthday, Sting. At least you tried to do something...

September 20, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mello B.

Is it just me, or does the interviewer really, REALLY want to get in Sting's pants..hah.

September 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sokman

I hope everyone has to come dressed as their favorite character from Dune

September 20, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bea

Take some break, I keep on thinking about it so many times, if I will go for it or not.

But my intuition was just a mistake. Building it alone was my starting point for a great success.
    Do you want to know it? Visit G00GLE, type “BlueGoldHunt”, click the first site, and then you will immediately find it.

September 20, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. StingFanInParadise

Sting's music has been the music of my life, as he is only a few years older than I am. I have always enjoyed his work and was at a concert in his Symphonicity tour in DC last year. Congratulations and Happy Birthday.

September 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. NashVegas

While I've never been a big Sting fan, I do respect any 60 year old guy who has worked out and stayed in shape all his life. I hope I am in as good shape as he is when I turn 60. Rock on Sting. Namaste.

September 19, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Commode

Stings butthole has been worked out and worked over by Michael Stipe, thats why he is in good shape.

September 20, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. the Dude

He doesn't look 14.

September 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mayhem

He is dreamy.

September 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mayhem

Word, fernace.

September 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lucy

He's done some good stuff. Fields of Gold is my all time favorite.

September 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fernace

I have been a fan of Sting, his music & his philosophy of life, since The Police was the new band to beat! He's an innovator who cares about the planet & all its inhabitants! Happy 60, Sting! I know all you silly posters are trying to outgross 1 another, but you're not contributing anything but stupidity to the world! Both Bono & Sting could mop the floor with y'all, but they wouldn't! They would throw together a charity concert, with proceeds going to all the poor, un-medicated slobs on the Marquee blog!!Lol! ;-)

September 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Triple H ~ Fan

Basket weaving!!!..lol. What the...did you just pulled that out of a hat..lol. Anyway, he has a few good songs that I like. He's okay in my book. I hope/wish him many more birthdays. *** three wishes ***

September 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. FIX IN TX

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STING! Hope your party turns out to be everything you want!

September 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Your son is playing my meat flute

Same goes for you there Ace. Atleast I wasnt married to Bono-r. If it wasnt for Stewart Copeland, Sting would be a never-been.

September 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dan Elston

Hey Stingo, your 60 years old now and it's time to do something new like painting or dancing or basket weaving instead of playing the same old stale songs you've been doing for the last forty years. Like you Der Stingle it's getting real old.

September 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • heliocracy

You obviously haven't been listening to much Sting. The guy changes his style every couple of years.

September 20, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  16. Mary

This past summer our Symphony director Chelsea Tipton II, was his orchestra conductor on his "Symphoncity Tour" which was in Europe. It is truly an honor for Maestro Tipton to have been selected for this tour. Job well done!

September 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darth Tater

Stings is named so because he enjoys mens stingers up his ass.

September 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Stings was once married to Bono-r

But then Bono-r wanted to date Boy George so they divorced.

September 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ibraham

60 is to old for him to still be living at home.

September 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. portalpunk

FIRSTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY MONDAY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stewart Copeland

Sting is a gooberSmacking goody two shoes fairy. I kicked his ass so many times I lost count.

September 20, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  20. FriarTuck

For your information, Sting is a grown man & does NOT live in Mommy"s basement. In fact, He & his wife & kids own about a half dozen properties all over the world.

September 20, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  21. heliocracy

Lemme guess, you're under 30 years old?

September 20, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  22. V. P.

Lorena, good one LOL. I've always like Sting and his music. I say Happy Bday to hiim and rock on!

September 20, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |