Tim Gunn: Kirstie Alley is not a size 4
September 19th, 2011

Tim Gunn: Kirstie Alley is not a size 4

There’s no question that Kirstie Alley has seriously slimmed down thanks to her stint on “Dancing With the Stars” last season, but style guru Tim Gunn says the actress is not the size 4 she's been touted as.

The “Project Runway” star says vanity sizing is to blame for the clothing confusion.

Alley, 60, told Entertainment Tonight that she’s lost 100 lbs and has dropped ten dress sizes.  "I feel like I'm back in my element," she enthused in an interview that aired Tuesday.

Svelte Kirstie even worked the runway at the Zang Toi show during New York City's Fashion Week.

But during an interview on Tampa’s 98.7 radio show, Gunn responded to a question on whether the actress was the aforementioned smaller size, and explained why Alley is not actually a size 4: "There is a phenomenon out there right now that I call the lying deceptive shell game of vanity sizing. In fact a 4 is really a 6 or an 8."

Gunn broke down the idea of vanity sizing for listeners, citing an experiment he did at Parsons.

"We took a size 8 dress from 1980, one from 1990 and one from 2000 and compared them - the difference between them was two and a half inches in the waist alone!"

The fashion expert said he believes Alley's true size is probably between a size 8 and size 10.

But whatever the label reads, Gunn thinks Alley "looks fabulous.”

"People are too size conscious," he adds. "More importantly, how do you look in your clothes?"

1. If you have too demand bex then why do that....he should just brush his figure up agains your arm and you should just jump all over him....am i wrong i ladies? just some big ole hunky fingers brushing up the I arm's and daz it...

July 5, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kirstie is 61 and is s0xy and embraces her s0xuality much more then women in their 40's do....once you reach a certain age its love love love baby

July 5, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Whatever "old ones" you collected too big daddy does not justify what you 3 did too me...Kirstie is s-xy for her age and men love her jiggles..

July 5, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kirstie also does not hack and does not watch reruns of the big bang theory all night long...see? again? different personalities.

–888888888888

July 5, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. jordan retro 13

But still, men and women get the similar pair of Jordans for a great discount. This is not astonishing. %link1% can be easily found Online by using a straightforward search. A plethora of stores promote these Adidas Porsche Design Shoes, and they are on sale continuously.. jordan retro 13 http://www.google.cz/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=run2013.org/ceshi14.html

July 5, 2013 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. thue xecau

Hello There. I found your blog the usage of msn. That is an extremely neatly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

July 31, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. skating shoes

I'm now not positive where you're getting your information, but good topic. I must spend a while learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was in search of this information for my mission.

April 19, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. Pedro Sloman

I've been looking forward to this for so long!

December 7, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sunshine1167

I don't believe she is a size 4. A size 8 or 10 maybe, Either way she looks great. I hope she is able to keep the weight off this time,

October 19, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. woodrow

It amazes me that Ms Alley's only claim to fame now is her obsession about weight. She should start a series with the Olsen sisters.

October 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BikerK

Kudos for the weight loss, but nix the makeup. You don't need that much eye makeup. NO ONE needs that much eye makeup!

October 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Guest

Maybe a size 14,but Id still bang her

And not just because she has Cheers and Jenny Craig money

October 11, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. Alana Vereczkey

Kirstie congrats on the big weight loss. I believe you should have won on Dance With The Stars last season with Makism. You two were the best on the dance floor. To much depends on size these days. Why !! And then we wonder why pear pressure is so hard growing up. I had a thyroid problem most of my younger life so I never slimmed down till after grad. I was the talk of my ten year reunion; twenty plus years ago. It can never undo the many hurt feelings you got from former classmates back then. Good luck and keep on dancing; your great at it. Your Fan Alana Vereczkey xxooxx

October 6, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paula

But quit picking on her for her make up. Runway makeup has always been ridiculous!

October 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Paula

I've been saying that ever since she claimed to be a size 4. She is no size 4!!!!
    She looks fantastic the way she is, there's no need for her to lie about it. I think Tim Gunn was being generous when he said there's clothes confustion with sizing. She lied, & that's that.

October 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Cactuslily

She's a beautiful person inside and out. What matters is how you FEEL, and are you HEALTHY! Once again, we have an industry defining beauty. Let's focus on being good people and promote health.

October 1, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  17. gem

trying to outdo phyllis dyller

September 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jean

This whole size thing is way out of hand. For the extreme, see:

September 28, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  19. nate

My Gosh!! Who beat in Kirstey Alley's face?!

September 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mom of Three

Kirstie Alley: Tim Gunn's pen&s is not 10 inches.

September 26, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  21. Mike

Tim Gunn is a dick, Whatever size the label says is the size it is. Tim your birth certificate says male and I have my doubt but im not out n out calling you a girl...or am I ????

September 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • nate

Difference is that Kirstey Alley CLEARLY is not a size 4. Not by any stretch of the imagination. She has lost a lot of her excess girth but she is still a bit of a fatty.

September 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. gah

maybe now the poor woman can step out in public without having her picture taken by paparazzi and slammed on the newsstands slamming her weight – being big is hard, but being big and made fun of publicly i can't even imagine!
    i think she looks fabulous

September 24, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Argle Bargle

Gee, Tim...thanks for letting us know. I mean, that means SO MUCH to me to know that she wears a size 8 as opposed to a size 4. I'll sleep so much better at night. So, tell us, Tim...what size are you? I'll bet you look lovely in a black gown and some nifty stilettos. Someday I might even wonder What The Fcuk a size 4 has to do with reality. Does it equal a 34? 44? 54?

September 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Erin

"More importantly, how do you look in your clothes?"

THANK. YOU. TIM.

I don't care what size you are, just please, for the love of all that is holy and right in the world, wear clothes that fit and flatter! You're not fooling anyone, when you wear jeans that are 2 sizes too small; the muffin-top tells me everything I need to know. Your gut should not hang from underneath your shirt. Your chest should not spill out of your bra cups and the band of your bra should not be between your shoulder blades. Jeggings are not for everyone. Figure out your body type and find what feels comfortable AND looks good. PLEASE!

September 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Rooster

Miss Alley, fat or skinny you are beautiful, lovely and a classy woman. Please tell this person to stick it up his nose with a rubber hose,

September 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. brimming with style

She can be a size 4 if a patternmaker takes her measurements, makes the pattern to fit, and calls it a '4'. And there's no such thing as vanity sizing, it's just that each manufacturer is making garments to fit a woman in his target demographic, and then the patterns are graded up or down to the remaining sizes in the range.

September 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. vvs

Mr. Gunn is correct, she is not a size 4. My daughter is 110lbs and wears size. 4.
    But whatever size Kriste is she looks FABULOUS!!.
    Keep exercsing and eating organic Kristie. You look GREAT!! and give the rest of
    us hope.

September 22, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  28. Carlita

So Tim's point is that she is not a size 4 by standards from 20+ years ago? I don't know about him, but I buy clothes now. Can't get to the Wayback Machine. So her size is whatever it is TODAY (whether that's a 4 or not).

September 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Terri

Who cares about the number Tim Gunn. She looks GREAT!!! Why can't you just celebrate that instead of trying to get some cheap publicity out of it?????

September 21, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  30. Garry

I think she looks great! Everyone keeps talking about the "eye" make-up..the picture is from the fashion show she was in..did you take time to look at the clip? For a 60 year old woman..I say..YOU GO..and I absolutely love her sharp wit!

September 21, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  31. ShaneB

This very much explains why it takes so long to find clothes for my girls. You can't trust the labels at all, you have to try every article of clothing on just to make sure it fits. Its a twisted idea that they won't (not can't) be consistent.

September 21, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  32. Hmmmmm

Well, Tim. Oprah says she is a size 12 . . . I just thought the sizes in celebrity world were adjusted to fit the egos.

September 21, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  33. Andulamb

If size 4 has evolved over time, then it is what it is. I'll bet if you give this guy $1000, he doesn't complain that money has been vanity sized, and that $1000 in 1980 was worth more. If someone can go into any store and buy a size 4 of any dress, and it fits TODAY, then it's a size 4. It doesn't matter what a size 4 was 30 years ago. Now, if this is an issue of some companies marking dresses as size 4 that other companies would mark as size 8, then yes, Kirstie's size 4 isn't a real size 4. But that's not what this guy was describing.

September 21, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  34. nelya8503

She is definitely not a size 4. I am much smaller than she is and I am a size 6.

September 21, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  35. skipInVegas

OINK! OINK!

September 21, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  36. Liz Asdf

She looks great but she needs to rethink her eye makeup. To much on the bottom. and it makes her look old.

September 21, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  37. Nancy

Whatever happened to kindness and gentlemanliness? Why would anyone comment negatively on any lady's looks?
    So many cruel and vulgar comments.
    Not that it matters, but I think Ms. Alley looks stunning, and has achieved a tremendous feat in losing so much weight. I hope she doesn't read these comments because that's the kind of vicious hateful stuff that makes people hate themselves and hurt themselves.
    Thanks to those of you with enough class to make me not totally give up on our culture.

September 21, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  38. Anne S.

Who cares? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. At least give her credit for losing all that weight. I'm tired of society dictating as to what size you should be. Even so some people carry their weight well. Why look like a refuge from a concentration camp?

September 21, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  39. Raine

Kirstie Alley definately looks fabulous, she's put alot into her daily life to loose all the weight. If we are talking about DESIGNER clothes, yes, certain designers make "vanity sizes"......to please those who have the money to pay the higher price for designer clothes so they can say the bought a size 2 or 4. In the world of reality and "normal woman's size" Kirtie is a size 8 tp 10 more than likely> Even at an 8 or 10 she is below what the "average American woman" size is NOW, which tends to be a 12 or 14.
    Congrats Kirstie....I hope you can toe the line at this time & keep your weight where it is. Kirstie has had issues with large amount of weight loss only to regain it again..
    Kirstie you look fabulous!

September 21, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  40. A

Dang, Kirstie Alley's SIXTY? That's the only part of the article on which I was focused.

In any case, she looks amazing for her age.

September 21, 2011 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  41. hushupp

She could a couple more pounds if she takes off her eye makeup !

September 21, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  42. The Selfish Meme

Tim rocked it here.

That year comparison in clothing is pretty revealing. Amazing how the fashion industry panders to the vanity of its clientele. Amazing.

And he's right, and it goes for men too, how good do you look in the clothes AND how good you feel. If you wear it well – thats all that matters.

September 21, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  43. Piggy piggy

$100 says she balloons out again within the year.

September 21, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  44. kat

size 4 or no, I can't believe that lady is 60 years old!! She puts me to shame

September 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. aaly

age linsey lohan 20 years and... voila!

September 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Edsr

What happened to her face in this photo? It looks artificial. She is now built like an Ohio State fullback. She appears to be a perfect 40-40-40.

September 20, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  47. gala2

I've been looking intently at dress sizes for 60 years.
    and it is perfectly obvious to me that Kirstie Alley is wearing what would be a size 12-14 if tried on off any store rack.

Because Gunn is a very nice old gent he is offering Alley enough spare sizing to save face.
    But Nope, that is so beyond definitely and way too obviously a 12-14.

Why should there be anything wrong with that at all? She is a very tall big-boned woman and for a change she looks exactly proportional to her size.
    Just don't frigging lie about it.

And please do something with that truly horrendous roadkill hair. Alley's too pretty a woman to be reduced to marketing herself as Cruella DeVille's tasteless twin.

September 20, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. tooshay

Have you ever heard of the metric system?

September 20, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jenna

Size 4 hippopotamus.

September 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jim in Georgia

Who cares what size she is...
    I'd do her!

September 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  51. S.

Her face reminds me of Lindsey Lohan, all grown up.

September 20, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  52. PaddingtonPoohBear

I wish women would quit putting so much goop around their eyes and on their faces. Oh, and Kirstie is a "Scientologist" so don't buy anything she and the other drones are in or you'll be supporting a CULT.

September 20, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Stuff It

I love when a make up "artist" does the whole face and forgets that the neck and chest are a different color... this photo is ridiculous..... Alley looks like some crazy great-aunt to the Olsen twins...... sad.....

September 20, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • PaddingtonPoohBear

I think she'd be better off with her natural hair color and much less "war paint." She was lovely on Cheers and Star Trek. =)

September 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Honey

I personally have experienced this. I've been roughly the same size since I was a teen, and I'm in my late thirties. I wore a 4 in my teens, now I wear a 2 or a 0, but I have not changed except maybe gotten wider. So, yes, vanity sizing is real.

September 20, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  55. charlotte

Actual size...8-10. And what would be wrong with that? She's 60 and not 12 year old approaching puberty. Since when are women supposed to look like prepubescent children. I am not advocating a size 24 being the new average weight but really....size 4 in most cases looks malnurished.

September 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  56. theresa

Her make-up is a bit extreme but that is because she was a runway model that day. She looks fabulous for 60! you go Kirstie!

September 20, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  57. jackson

I think Grady tapped that ass in north and south

September 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Opinyon

Wonder why Tim Gunn feels a need to comment and deflate her victory. I think it's just another gay man venting his rage at a woman who's getting a lot of attention. He says she looks great and he's oh so whatever about her accomplishment...Believe it, not! If you've ever been around a group of gay men, you'll hear comments that make the cattest women blush. Shame on you Mr. Gunn. Stay with your weird travel commercials and get your own attention.

September 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Rose

Her neck and shoulders look good. But those photos from the back, her AZZZ is still huge and why does she hide her legs in those leg warmers and elephant pants. No way size 4 no way on EARTH.

When will the rumors about bariatric surgery start?

September 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jacqueline

I agree with Mr. Gunn's comment about vanity sizing. My clothes sizes vary from 6 to 10 depending on the cut and make–the more expensive the label, the smaller the size. I also agree that women shouldn't obsess about dress size and that Ms. Alley looks good right now. Her problem is losing weight too fast to adjust her eating habits for the long term. Her triumph in the Jenny Craig ad series rapidly faded when Ms.Bertinelli grabbed the spotlight. Alley collapsed into a deep funk, went on an eating binge and emerged on the other side heavier than ever. It seems her "religious"/self-help community could not or would not prevent her from self destructing. For the sake of her health, I hope Kirstie Alley will build her own inner resources and not lean on a pseudo god in the sci-fi celestial sphere and his celebrity cheerleaders. .

September 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Steve-O

A size 4 in circus tents maybe.

September 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Elevenore

4 is also the number of nose jobs she's had! :)

September 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Annia

I'm so happy for her that she lost weight, but if she is a size 4, then I must be a size negative zero!

September 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Rock

man, is she on the blow again???

September 20, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  65. cmkc

Sizes are ridiculous. I have been 5'3 and 115 pounds for 25 years, yet I seem to be slowly disappearing according to the fashion world. I used to wears a Junior Size 3 or 5 – forget that, I swim in them now. I've gone from a women's size 6 to a 4 to a 2 and now I'm a zero. Insane. Pretty soon the vanity sizing will have me in a negative clothing size. by contrast, I tried on a skirt in a vintage clothing store that was what USED to be a true size 8 from the 60's and it fit like a glove. Woman and their damn vanity.

September 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  66. dopleaf

I'm a true size 2. I'm 5'3" and 110 lbs. Another factor is your bone structure. I'm a size 0 in skinny jeans. I hardly have a butt, I've got relatively slender hips too. What moves me up to a 2 is my chest size. And yes, height is a factor too. Very few models are 0 or size 2. These woman are 5'8" and over.

September 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Deborah Giuffre

I don't want to take away from Kirsty Alley's amazing weight loss, but a 4???? Plllluuuuueeeezzzzeeee!!!!!

They have changed the sizes over the years. I have in my closet three versions of a size 12 and neither of them fit the same. One I can't even get on. Don't even get me started on bra sizes which have gotten smaller also. Here's the thing: women want to brag about bigger boobs and smaller sizes. I just wish it were all the same. Thank you Tim Gunn for exposing this. Us "Jane Russell" gals surely appreciate it.

September 20, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Ricardo

Who cares what Tim Glum says? He's a bonehead... Kirstie Alley is a hottie – and at 60???

September 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  69. dcol

Does size really matter with a beautilful woman?

September 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Michelle09

I agree with him because they are , for example, claiming that Jennifer Hudson is a size 0, and while I agree that she looks fantastic, I would definitely put her at a size 6. Vanity sizing is merely a marketing tool because women are likely to purchase clothing when the size is smaller rather than bigger. I say, as long as you're fit, healthy, and look and feel great in your clothes, who cares about the numbers?

September 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  71. daWahine

I cannot imagine her measurements are anywhere near 34-27-33, which is ball-park for true size 4.

September 20, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  72. SILVERBACK

I'd still hit that like a South-bound freight train. wooooo-woooooooooo!

September 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  73. the_dude

I thought she did a good job as princess leia starwalker on the star wars remake series movies. I dont know who the gay guys is.

September 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  74. amsjll

How much have sizes changes since the 50's and 60's? Marilyn Monroe was a 12 at 5'5". Ladies who think they wear a size 4, reality check.

September 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Elexus Tate

@Kate my granddaddy's sixty three grandmother's sixty one,they put that broad to shame.

September 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Feast of Beast

Yeah, she's a size 4. In circus tents! Cut the crap Kirstie. You have a big problem, and have been given so many opportuniites to resolve it. The least you can do is be honest about it! Size 4, yeah. And my fifth of whiskey a day is only a "little drinking problem".

September 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  77. WickedCricket

Meow!

September 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Kate

You all wish you would look that good at 60.

SIXTY!!!!

Sounds like we might need to run to Home Depot and get some hater spray.

September 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Sidney Kaye

I'ts hard to believe she was married to the finest Hardy Boy

September 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Jeff Ross

That'll do pig. That'll do.

September 20, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jeff Ross

I saw her buy edible undies at Spencer's once. They were gone before she left the store!

September 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Jeff Ross

She's a 4 alright..........4x the size of 1 person! Grease a crease and jump in guys! Roll her in flour and look for the wet spot!

September 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Patrick

If they can lie about dress sizes, we can lie about penis size, right?

September 20, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  84. JMTTM

It's great she lose 100 pounds. Now, if she could lose those horrible eyebrows.....

September 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  85. squirlle

Tim you are the biggest nut i've ever seen.

September 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  86. RANDA

Tim Gunn Can Kick Rocks.. and so can all the other Kirstie Haters..Leave the woman alone for god sake.. She is beautiful inside and out. So what if she was heavy, so what if she isn't now... SO WHAT if she is a 4 or 14.. She is happy with herself and that is all that matters!! Tim Gunn is just an angry little gay man that has nothing better to do than be a complete B***CH

September 20, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  87. DARTH VADER

kirstie alley is disgusting

September 20, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  88. rjl131

Yeah Tiim Gunn...and to you a 12 year old boy is the new 18year old boy....what a self righteous arrogant piece of work...an absolute nothing....i.e ...Kardashian, Hilton. Lohan etc etc etc

September 20, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  89. mishmooga

I'm happy for Kirstie, but I just wish she would stop lying about her weight. At 5'8", she claimed to only weigh 220, but her thighs were the size of tree trunks. Now she claims she's lost 100 lbs. From what point? Is she trying to say that she only weighs 120 now? I hope she keeps off the weight and is able to move on in her career from shows about her weight to something that shows off her acting ability.

September 20, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  90. patty

Love Tim what he is saying is right fashion companies fooling ppl with sizes. Fat or thin no fan of Kirstie or any oter Hollywood Scientology cuckoo

September 20, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  91. Crz

What happened to her eyes?

September 20, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  92. anti-reality

I dont understand how one reality tv staple has the right to attack another reality tv staple. If you are on reality tv, you are trash. Period. The backlash is coming: Paris Hilton CANCELED, Kat Von D CANCELLED, Kate + 8 CANCELLED...keep those cancellations coming tv people! We want real scripted original content. Enough of this faux reality trailer trash crap!

September 20, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  93. Rex Remes

It's her own fault for saying she is a size 4. Of course people are going to pick on that 'distortion' instead of commending her for the lost weight and looking better.

Should have just said ... "I was a size 18, now I'm a size 8".

September 20, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  94. Tim Gunn Idiot

He's a size 0 in his pants.

September 20, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  95. Sebastian

Women`s dress sizes have ZERO logic to them. Their should be some relationship to height but their isn`t. There should be some relationship to waist size but I don`t think their is? Maybe like men, the size should be something centered on the waist like a "4"; something on height like a "long" and something on breast to waist taper like "athletic" for men.

Oh yeah, Amanda Lark – let me get those digits – let me show you baby I`m a talented boy.

September 20, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  96. Regina Morell

An ugly man once told me that if i'd loose ten or fifteen pounds that he would ask me out,I precisely told him the old joke,that I wouldn't date him if he were the last man on earth I would demand a recount.You're right @Kiki men need to be put under a microscope like they do us,just see how they'd like it.

September 20, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  97. ErinJones

I think she looks great but I am so glad someone finally addressed the size thing. I mean, come on, a size 4? I thought it was ridiculous when she said she was a size 8 on DWTS and looked like a 14.

September 20, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  98. jacquie

Well Gunn is part of the problem. Maybe they need to size clothes to their true size. Also, they make anyone more than a size 4 is a pig. It doesn't matter what size you are, they will make you feel insecure and not up to their unhealthy standard and frankly, if they can design clothes they can design them for normal sized women. I mean who the hell buys their clothes? What percentage of the population is a size zero? not many.

September 20, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  99. Sokman

So according to Tim Gunn in the 80's I'd have had a 16 inch penis? D*mn, too little too late.

September 20, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  100. alice

But who can blame her? A year ago I tried buying a dress from Amazon. I entered size 10, my size then, and suddenly all the models in the pictures started to appear "fat" looking and "overweight". Why change the pictures? To make me feel bad? To make me feel comfortable looking at pictures of chunky women like me and not to stick thin models? Again, why change the pictures?

September 20, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  101. Regina Morell

Tim Gunn is a bootlegged Mr.Blackwell.

September 20, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  102. thatJen

Dear Calif Girl? Who the F cares? This isnt a comment page about you, so go boast elsewhere, like a street corner, where someone might care

September 20, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  103. jen

so what was the point of tim's condescending statement?

September 20, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  104. Ann

Who cares? She looks good but more importantly, she slimmed down via exercise, not liposuction or insane diets. Atleast she won't have to worry about osteoperosis like the skinny actresses out there. However, she should tone down the Transformers type make up ;)

September 20, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  105. Sebastian

Fake eyelashes, fake pouty BJ lips, fake long exotic hair, fake breasts, lipo-suction & tummy tucks instead of 2 hours on the elliptical and 1000 calorie protien-rich [if you know what I mean] diets, fake bubble butt implants. Can anyone be surprised that dresses have under gone "vanity sizing"? Just give me a 12 to 14 inch waist to ass ratio with "B" cups and I`m a happy and whipped man.

September 20, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Calif Girl

I have all that, it's all natural (including the hair down to my butt), and too bad for you, I'm taken.

September 20, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  106. Carmel

While she is drawing deserved attention to her new svelte figure, she has ruined her image look with a face drowning under such hideous eye makeup. Lovely, sparkling blue eyes, hidden under waaaaaaay to much black charcoal eyeshadow smudged underneath her eyes and above.

September 20, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  107. V. P.

Didn't read the article because, I know that it won't be worth my time. Just wanted to say who cares, trying to keep myself in check (not the rich and/or famous). Have a great day all!

September 20, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  108. SUE

I'll give her credit, she's lost a huge amount of weight but she's not a size 4 and the makeup is way overdone and needs to be taken down several notches! But good for her, that's alot of weight!!

September 20, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  109. Amanda Lark

Micelle you're right,i'm black and forever in magazines i'm represented by being overweight.I'm always fattest,there coul be ten women and i'm never represented correctly.I'm twenty eight years old 5'8 1/2 I weigh 128lbs.,I was a track runner in high school and college,I workout and run everyday.I'm not bragging but I get a lot of attention from people of all races.I don't act 'ghetto'or'white' like I said i'm never represented.I guess the geniuses on Madison Avenue haven't figured out how to market me yet.

September 20, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  110. j

Size 4 or 6 or 8 – who cares – she lost serious pounds which is really hard to do. She is looking great!

September 20, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  111. Tobin Crenshaw

Still a lot of hard work and she should be proud!

September 20, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  112. @Lonnie Dee

Congratulations on the weight loss ! Now u only have a hundred pounds to go !

September 20, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  113. Michelle

They keep saying it's all about how you "feel" and then you look at every magazine cover and every movie poster and every sitcom star and they're these bone-thin guys and girls (more often girls, because a guy is allowed to be "husky"). I FEEL fat because I'm four times their size 2. Want people to stop obsessing over their weight? Find more people in between the thin person and the obese person (because casting obese people and saying "See, we have average people!" isn't representing those of us at the actual "average" size) and shine a light on their beauty.

September 20, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  114. Lonnie Dee

@Elle calm down it's not that serious,but you are right about her she does need to go some where and be thankful that she can now climb stairs without losing her breath.I myself am getting up in age my husband and I are going to be grandparents early spring and I lost thirty five pounds and I am so grateful to be healthy.

September 20, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Elle

LOL...thanks Lonnie....I needed that! You are right...it is not that serious....Not sure WHY this gets me so riled up! Have a wonderful day!!

September 20, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  115. Elle

Wow..did I mess that one up! Sorry ya'll! Everyone...have a grand and glorious day....from a Senior Citizen!!!

September 20, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  116. peggy

Gunn is right, sizes have changed a great deal over the past 20 or 30 years. When I was 18 and weighed 135 lbs., I wore a size 14. When I was in my 50s and weighed in the 150s, I wore size 14. But size isn't what really matters. It's the weight and general health that matters.

September 20, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  117. Elle

You are 100% correct Kash. Size does not matter. SHE just needs to get over it...stop talking about and LIVE! We don't want to hear about it anymore. Yes...she looks OK for a Senior citizen. But...she needs to stop talking sizes and LIVE!!

September 20, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  118. Kash

Meant to say doesn't in that response. My apologies

September 20, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  119. Elle

Kash....the main point is.....She needs to stop lying about her size and act her age! She is a Senior citizen who lost 100 pounds but she is STILL a Senior citizen! You talk aboiut "reliving the glory days" well, Darlin I hate to tell you but that is exactly what she is trying to do! She wants to be 20 years old again. She needs to grow up, act her age and be graceful about it! She is SO full of herself now! SHE NEEDS TO SHUTUP ABOIUT LOSING THE WEIGHT AND START ACTING LIKE A GRATEFUL LADY THAT LOST WEIGHT AND WILL LIVE LONGER! She just ticks me off sometimes and we are the same age!!!

September 20, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Opinyon

Since I've replied to so many comments this afternoon, you get one too. She wants to be 20 again? I bet she'd say no to that. Lossing a 100 lbs and dancing with the stars at 60 is pretty cool. If you're 60 too what do you aspire to do? What's wrong with engaging life at any age. Good for her. She's still alive and kicking. We could all be that lucky. Who would want to go back to being 20 again, yipes...no smarts, no money just youth. Churchhill said, Youth is wasted on the young. That's so right on.

September 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Kash

The guy (Gunn) sounds like nobody is paying him any attention so he comes up with this kind of crap to talk about. Look, it does matter if Kirstie Alley is a size 4 or 10 she still lost 100 pounds. He needs to worry about something that is actually important in fashion. Who gives a rat's butt what a size 4 was in the 90's? It is not that time anymore. It's time to stop trying to make people relive the glory days (unless you're talking about music but that's a different matter altogether) and get with the current times.

September 20, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  121. jb2817

Maybe she means she's a size 4 in dog sizes? So that would be a size 28 in people size

September 20, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  122. jimmy osmund

Where is my love Toni Tenille ?

September 20, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  123. AZ

What a jerk. Why is he making a public scandal about the size and contradicting her then saying that we are too obsessed with sizes. Stop trying to rain on her parade!

September 20, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  124. guy

Size 4?????????? Don't think so.....

September 20, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  125. Kenzie

I can year anything from a 2 to a 8. Depends on where I go. I think we just need to do like the men and do waist sizes in inches.

September 20, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  126. davinia

What, I believe, Alley puts forth is: Confidence, Charisma, and Class. That, in itself, commands attention and R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Women of the world, let us UNITE and rock what God have us and Don't Worry, but Be Happy whatever size you happen to be.

September 20, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  127. flossy

DANG she looks like shes been rode hard and put up wet. That eye makeup is HORRID lmao

September 20, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  128. allie

Much like Kim Kardashian is trying to convince me she is a size zero or a two! When you tailor every piece of clothes to your body and it fits it looks good! But the fashion industry likes to pimp age 14 year old models on runways as adult models. We need to adopt English standards when advertising clothes or products (no photo-shop, no decieving the customer)

September 20, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  129. SParker

What so many people don't take into consideration is height. I'm 5'6" and a size 6. If I were 5'2", I'd be fat and at 5'9", I'd be too skinny.

September 20, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  130. Klm

Did anyone notice the irony here? Especially you, editors.
    Gunn said 'People are too size conscious." And yet this article exists! Shame! The article should be about _that_ comment, not what size Kirstie or anybody else is.

September 20, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  131. DONT THROW STONES AT A GLASS HOUSE

SHOULDNT MATTER JUST PUT YOUR NOSES IN YOUR OWN BUSSINESS

September 20, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  132. klee

Is that what they're calling it? I knew something had changed with sizing when I shed about 30lbs back in 2005 and could suddenly fit into a size 3-4. I remember thinking that there was no way I could be that size since I had been a 3-4 after high school and the pants I was buying looked like what 5-6's looked like back in the 80's. Whatever, right? As long and they fit and are flattering, I'll take them.

September 20, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  133. 1who

That cow is ugly as h*ll.

September 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Nekki

She is not definitely not a 4. These clothes are so big now and these stores lie because you will shop more if you believe you are buying a 4 instead of a 14.

September 19, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  135. 1who

Kirstie Alley will gain back the weight in no time and will again look like a big old doo-doo ball.

September 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Kassie

Yeah... vanity sizing. Like the size "0"? Vanity for all the anorexics out there! Hooray! Or vanity sizing in terms of how no 2 stores sell clothing that fits the same in the same sizes? Or how some craptastic stores like Old Gravy have same sized pants that aren't the same from pile to pile? What's vain about that? Talk about designers and shops not being consistent. Fine. What is wrong with women that they need to strive to be under 100lbs? GROWN WOMEN with body fat like breasts and hips and butts... You want to weigh as much as a 13 year old who may or may not have even gone thru puberty yet? Talk about vanity!!! Get healthy, people. EVERY LAST ONE of these designers is out to make you feel bad about your body. Tim Gunn, let her think she's a size 4 in that dress. WHO CARES!!!

September 19, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea M

If that were true. Designers would never sell anything. Vanity sizes are there to make the consumer feel better about themselves ("oh look, I'm a size 2 in designerX, I thought I was a 4") and thus want to buy the product. It is a lie though and since I dispise lying to customers, my clothes are all made in correct sizes.

September 20, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
    • P.J.

The real truth is that all the clothes are made in China and are based on Chinese women's bodies. That's why nothing fits right in N.A.

September 20, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  137. Beautiful Vixen

Congrats to her. Hope she keeps it off and make it a lifestyle change.

September 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  138. teensyone

I thought something was up with sizing lately, though I'm getting older and thought it was just me... I'm around 97lbs and used to wear a size 3 jeans, now they're even sizes and I swim in a size 2 so I have to scrounge to find a size 0. The only jeans that fit me are Victoria's Secret; I've never had to return a pair.

September 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

If you were wearing a 3, it would make sense you'd look smaller. Odd numbers are junior sizes, which are cut more slender because they assume younger teenagers will be wearing them. Even numbers are women's sizes, which assume there will be a better fit post-puberty.

September 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  139. AJ

Gunn is correct she is not a true size 4 in the sense of terms in which he is talking. But that applies to all women not just this woman who is clearly trying to get her groove back. She is clearly not the 4 I was after closet with my satin booty shorts and heels on. Clearly I was thin and able to fit those sizes. She is definitely not the skinny girl 4 she proclaims. However, it is really not up for discussion her size. She looks great and that is what matters.

September 19, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Andrea M

Completely true. Vanity sizing is a great enemy of mine and I make all my clothes I sell based on the old standard American sizes. Since I make so many of my own pieces straight to my measurments, I have little clue what numerical size I am and find shopping very frustrating. I know my measurments, I know what looks good on me, and I know I'd rather make it than fight to find a size that will never fit as well as my own custom work.

September 19, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Reality Check

THANK YOU!

I keep hearing this size four crap and think ya, right. Apparently nobody minds being quoted in print in lies these days. The world is messed up.

September 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Pat

He is so perverted!! Who cares what he thinks...He makes me want to puke....

September 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Opinyon

Pat, Here! Here! I think there are a lot of folks who feel that way too.

September 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Sabrina

Who cares!! She has lost the weight. Vanity sizes schmanity sizes. Gunn man what's ur waist measurement?

September 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  144. C. Anderson

Mr. Gunn is right about dress sizes, but also right that Kristy looks fabulous. We are so obsessed with sizes, ages, weight, and so forth, instead of if just aiming to look great, being good people, being healthy and making this world a happier place.

September 19, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  145. les

She's a size 10 like I can sprout wings and fly! At least a size 14-16 come on....how much does she weigh?

September 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Niki

Weight is a number like sizing is a number. It doesn't actually mean anything or define anything. Not all size 14s will fit into a defined weight class. Just like not all size 2s will be tall and slender. Let us remember that the camera adds 15lbs.

September 19, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • P.J.

No wonder there is confusion. Back in the old days the camera added 10 pounds, now it's 15?

September 20, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  146. gc10

I am her age and though I'm not heavy, I wish I looked as good as her! She's come a long way and I commend her.

September 19, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality Check

I agree, and she does look great. But just keep size out of it. None of that is an excuse for lies.

September 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Edsr

She is a perfect 36,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,36-36-36.

September 19, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Moxie O'Connell

She is gorgeous, always has been. I hope to look as great as at her age. I envy that nose and jawline. I think she is a size 4, saw her on The View, and she was smaller looking than that Elizabeth Hasselbeck chick.

September 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moxie O'Connell

I do miss her dark hair though, she was so exotic looking. I hope she goes back to that one day.

September 19, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  149. poo don't lie

I doubt one of her turds would fit in a size 4, probably more like a 10. That lady can squirt out some real whoppers.

September 19, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moxie O'Connell

I wish there were less people in the world saying such horrible, disgusting things as you. I bet you we a bully in school, and never matured past it.

September 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Opinyon

No Moxie "poo don't lie' is the page boy for Tim Gunn. Don't worry about it. He'll come up to Tim's higher standard once he's out of apprenticehood.

September 20, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Searching for an Atheist Extremist

I'm so glad to have this new size thing explained – I though I was losing my mind. I haven't gained or lost any weight and I have had to shop in the kids section for around 5 years now just to find jeans that don't fall off! I wish they would go back to the old sizes because as a 30 something year old woman it's downright embarrassing wearing jeans with rhinestones and BFF embroidered on the butt...

September 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JenniferC

Hee hee! Good for you for neither gaining or losing weight over 5 years. Hilarious comment.

September 28, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Rudder

I thought she was beautiful In Star Trek II and Cheers. Now she is looking good again! Kirstie, you are a fox!!!

September 19, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  152. jeanette

Tim Gunn is correct about the size issue. Anyway she's apparently at 135 lbs and that's generally an 8 or 10 depending on the cut of the clothes and a woman's curves. If she's wearing a 4 or 6 the clothing is probably cut on a larger scale. Regardless, size is a vanity issue and if she looks and feels good that's all that matters. (Regarding the eye makeup – it was for her runway walk during Fashion Week).

September 19, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  153. ho hum

at least she has some curves, those skeleton-skinny chicks really turn me off. curvy girls are more fun in bed, too!

September 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  154. j

Nothing like "new money" people putting their 2 cents in to known people to down their happiness. Like isnt he a guy from Project Runway? Seriously

September 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  155. semmra

I think she looks great & she has a great personality to go with it! I loved watching her on DWTS! she had talent & she always had fun!

September 19, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  156. sam the bartender

Soooo....if y=4 and x=8, and timmy gunn= 0, all else being equal, obtuse triangles ans such.....equals WHO CARES!!!

September 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Opinyon

sam the bartender, I like this math especially ...if Tim is a zero.

September 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  157. summertime

What's up with her eyebrows?

September 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Burga

I think she's the perfect size. And in fact if my team ever needed a yard I would have no problem giving her the ball...you can't stop her.

September 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  159. kay

She is a good looking woman. I wear a size 6 shoe but really am a size 7. They really hurt but I like my feet to look small.

September 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

women.... *facepalm*

September 20, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Opinyon

Kay, that's funny. I had a teacher growing up. He had size 7 feet and was tipping the scale at 425. His feet looked like they couldn't hold him up in a wind.

September 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  160. corey

How about her age? She looks fargin great – age, size, the whole enchilada. Plus she is "real" and can laugh at herself.
    Don't get the scientology thing – but I don't get any religion.

September 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Lynn

Tim Gunn is just pointing out that the "sizes" on the clothes (especially women's clothing) have changed, and they still do. I am a size 10 in some things and a size 8 in others, depending on where it was made and who made it. High end clothing tend to lie a bit more, they want to deceive you into thinking you are smaller, they say it's a 6 and it's really an 8 or a 10. You think you're thinner, it makes you feel good, you buy more. The problem is you have to try everything on!

Kirstie looks great no matter what size she is now, she is a whole lot healthier too! Hope she keeps it off :)

September 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  162. rj

who cares what the number is---she looks good

September 19, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Cagey

Get with it Tim, Kirstie already tweeted last week that she is a size 6.. Stop trying to start drama!

September 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debrarae

Amen to that! He is really becoming 'Catty' in his 'old' age!

September 20, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Opinyon

Isn't it interesting how so many individuals that have been given encouragement for their work but can find fault in someone else? I think we should do an assessment on him. He's rude, lossing most of his hair, self-centered, demanding and life confused. What the heck. A Glenn Beck type prancing around in designers clothes and useless opinions. Perhaps the sizes have changed by the industry standards but what possible gain can this guy hope to get except negative attention. Yuck!

September 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Rain

Thank you! I think Kirstie looks gorgeous and at 60, amazing! But this has happened before where she claimed she never got over 200 lbs, and I'm sorry, but that was dishonest. This has gotten ridiculous. I've got friends that curve their weight by 15, 20, 30 lbs less and now so many out there have no idea what a woman who weighs 160 lbs would even look like!

September 19, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  165. rndiver

Hate to say it, but Mr Gunn is correct. A size 4 in today's fashion world is not the same size as it was even as little as 5 years ago. Women (for some reason or another) all want to be able to fit into smaller and smaller sizes because that is what is touted as "beautiful". If you look at Hollywood bombshells from the 50-60's, the majority were over a size 10 and all of them were amazingly beautiful women in their days. It would be interesting if clothing sizing went back to those standards, just to see how the fashion world would have a meltdown.
    It also depends on the designer of the clothing. Not all size 4's are created equal. Try it for yourself sometimes ladies. Pick out a pair of jeans, all the same size, but a different brand. It is amazing how different each one fits (or doesn't fit).
    I think she looks great either way, but I really don't think she is a size 4. Nor should she. She'd look beyond ill.

September 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • satirev

The actresses and models of the past were not nearly as overweight and obese as people are today. That's a myth everyone likes to believe. And per the article, if the clothing industry went back to the past standards dress sizes would be smaller.

September 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • CollinLeon

Too bad clothing can't be just sized in a purely objective measurement. At least guy's pants are still sized that way... Guy's shirts though are not really honestly sized (i.e. S/M/L/XL/...) since each manufacturer uses a different definitely for S/M/L/XL/...

September 20, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Christina

You are corrrect about past sizes. Marilyn Monroe was a 12 I think. Today, she'd be a six, and fashion moguls would complain that she was too big for their clothes to fit properly. Now clothes come in size 00.
      Have you ever seen a dress form from the 60s? They are tiny and don't even expand to today's sizes.
      Let's just try to be healthy, whatever weight we are.

September 20, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
    • S1N

If you REALLY want some misleading sizing, go to Wal-Mart. Madea could probably fit in one of their "size 4" pants.

September 20, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  166. Scott A

I like Kirstie Alley, but who is the girl that is in the photo? She looks like a Night Of The Living Dead victim that had been out dancing before she was zombified. When you lose a 100 pounds of weight, you shouldn't put 20 pounds of makeup on your face.

September 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Candy

My thoughts exactly!

September 19, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ree

People, look st the backround of the picture, it says mercedes benz fashion week. The article says she walked in a runway show therefore it is safe to assume that the makeup that everyone is complaining about was for that show and styled a stylist and the fashion designer and not Kirstie herself. She looks amazing and I hope she keeps the weight off.

September 19, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  167. lat2011

?

September 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  168. twinnie

I weight 105 lbs. and I'm not a size 4 because I'm curvy. The clothing lines have changed the sizing to make women feel better about themselves.

September 19, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Feeniegal

I agree. Two catalogs I've shopped from for over 10 years advised us that they were adjusting sizes. Last year I ordered some items and they had flyers in the package advising of the new sizing charts. Tim is not lying.

September 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marilyn

You are absolutely correct, twinnie, I know this sounds strange that I kept a dress from 1982 but I was very thin and the size of that dress was size 10!! The sizes were changed to sooth the vanity of women. So glad to know someone else noticed this.

September 20, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenna Lee

So Tim isn't LYING ... so what? Why did he have to find it necessary to attack a woman who lost 100 lbs? And the way he did it? Can we all say B***CH slap? That was totally not necessary, and totally uncalled for!

Why does he constantly find the need to belittle the success of other people? A true 'gentleman' (straight or gay) ... doesn't have to tear someone else down ... in order to lift their selves up! And THAT is what TIM GUNN did!

So much for HIM saying he doesn't condone 'bullying'!

September 20, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  169. Erin

so I'm not the only one that thought his analysis was a little over the top for someone saying we're "too size conscious"?

September 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Being cognizant and conscious are two different things.

September 19, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grace

Thank you for your sanity.

September 20, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Emma lou

You're not alone. Tim's comments are uncalled for, and completely 'over' the top. I am disgusted with his hypocrisy at every turn!

In another interview TG told of a overweight woman who came to him and asked for some help with her 'styling' ...... The JERK glowed with PRIDE as he told her to forget about styling and lose the weight!

What a HYPOCRITICAL JERK he is! That poor woman came to him for help, most likely at one of his 'shows' where she had to buy his book and probably buy a reservation to get in to meet him; and he ATTACKS her and REFUSES to even consider helping her.

And then we have Kirstie Alley who lost all this weight, and he STILL has to find a way to attack her.

He is a HYPOCRITE, and HE is a LIAR (especially when he says he is AGAINST BULLYING and then attacks people who are either STRUGGLING, or OVER COMING their struggles)!

I hope HE ROTS!

September 20, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • BA

For those of you saying that Tim is attacking Kirstie, I think the article states that he is answering a question during the interview. And he answers it with factual statements about changing standards in sizing, then says that Kirstie looks fabulous whatever her size.

September 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  170. amy

People are too size conscious, so I'm going to publicly debate what size I think she is, complete with a little experiment. There, that ought to help them be less size conscious.

September 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cassiev

Well said! Textbook example of a backhanded compliment.

September 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joanne22

Ha!

September 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lizzy10

I usually love Tim, but I have to agree, that was uncalled for. Kirstie looks great.

September 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

Above was funny true relevant, yours truly serious relevant.

September 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loveland

Totally! People are size conscience! In the 80s, my penis was 9". Now, 12" is the new 9"! But I digress... Seriously, she's always been hot. 'member cheers?

September 19, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • lillee

I agree with YOU and with some of the other posters who say that what Tim said is a 'back handed' (might I add – Beotch slap) comment! I also agree with the other posters when they say what Tim did (and IT IS BULLYING TIM) is totally uncalled for.

Must be nice Tim to 'say' oh I don't 'support' bullying, then do it time and time again ......while saying in your own DELUSIONAL WAY ......Oh I don't support it!

Tim face it ...................YOU ARE A BULLY, YOU ARE A LIAR, AND YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE! And with the way YOU are ENCOURAGING your designers to BEHAVE on S9, it's no WONDER that Project Runway's ratings are going DOWN THE TUBES! LOSER!

September 20, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Opinyon

Cassiev, I think it's a left-handed compliment not a backhanded one. Of course if Tim Gunn had a woman maybe he would give her backhanded compliments. Who knows.

September 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jbean

Touche!

September 22, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  171. SoYeah

So, let me get this straight. So, she bought a dress that says size 4... but she's a size 8... because a size 4 is really what a size 8 was 20 years ago? But the label still says size 4... so... wouldn't she be a size 4? I mean... you can't say a large shake is really a small because they useto sell them in a different sized cup decades ago. The menu said LARGE AND THAT'S WHAT I ORDERED! ... wait, what was I saying?

September 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leafonthewind

I;m right there with you, SoYeah.

September 19, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

I love it, and probably the most relevant comment yet!

September 19, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ifyagirlstepsupimslappindahoe

That was hilarious

September 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • lly

SoYeah – right on the target! And you all anorexes and starving people, we know the image you see in your mirrors every day are not there – they are in your heads, so please stop implying your agenda on everyone else who is healthy, especially above the neck.
      There way too many of you guys out in the publishing and entertaining :-)

September 19, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ToneInNY

So does that make what used to be a size 4 now a size 0?? And would what used to be a size 2 now be a size -2? Sounds like new math to me. Forget size numbers and adopt the sizing men use which is in INCHES. The new sizing usage isn't any more vanity sizing than just using the SIZE method to begin with! Take that, Mr. "Wow Factor" Gunn! ;0)

September 20, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • BronxGirl

LOL! Good one! People also need to realize that who cares what dress size you are as long as you feel good and look good. I know when I put on my size 12 dress I feel fabulous and look a lot better than some in a size 4. It's not how much you wigh, it's where you carry it.

September 20, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Rex Remes

So if yesteryear's size 10 is today's size 4, then what size are the previous size 4's wearing?

Regardless, Kirstie definitely looks better then her phat cow former self. But I have to agree with one of the commentors about her face kinda scaring me.

So ... will cornholing help Connie Cornhole's itchy butt?

September 20, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Bingo

You are SPOT ON!

September 20, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

_Or_ maybe she just lied....

September 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • vintge274

In 1962 when I was 14 years old, I was a size 5. I had a 20 inch waist. Today's size 4 presumes that a woman has a 24 inch waist. HUGE difference. Tim is right. People keep touting these ridiculous sizes which all women know change according to the store and the designer. Ever try on jeans? All the same marked size, some you can't zip up? The jump from an 18 in misses clothing to an 18 in plus size women's clothing is another multiple inch jump. Same number, whole different measurements. Some people who wear size 2 look fantastic; some look absolutely anorexic. Dress size is meaningless. Like Tim says, who CARES what her size says? She looks fabulous.

September 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Opinyon

That's correct! If the label says size 4 then let the truly little ones wear a size 0. Doesn't this smack of some type of yucky desire for attention on the part of Tim Gunn? Alley has had to really work at getting this weight off and deserves all the accolades for it. Good for you Ms. Size 4!!!!

September 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

I'm a size 4, and I think I'm pretty typical for the size. I don't have Kirstie's resources, however, so perhaps vanity sizing is more rampant in designer clothes than it is in Gap and American Eagle.

Not that any of the brands make it easy. Shoot, the women's clothing at Target comes in three main names (Mossimo, Cherokee, Merona) and I think I'm a different shirt size in each one. Pants can be the same way!

September 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Deeznuts

Who cares what size she is as long as she still has those big boobies!

September 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  173. berry

She's beautiful, naturally without plastic surgery. Eat your heart out, Cher!!

September 19, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

she gained 5 pounds just with her makeup

September 19, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

First thing I did think was about the make up though. A LITTLE less around the eyes maybe? But she looks fabulous, and that comment above about yo-yo weight is true, I hope she's careful. It's a toll on the heart.

September 19, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  174. nacho mama

I think Kirstie Alley looks great but if she really believes that she's a size 4 now, then she's delusional about her size and doomed to put on weight again. She's 5'8' so she should be around a sz 8 or 10 at the smallest.

September 19, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

Seriously. It could also have been the store she shopped at that day! But really, almost every store has a different size chart. And one size fits all? That's right, until you try on. They mean the hanger. It's enough to make you chew your own foot of.

September 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Calif Girl

The more expensive the dress, the lower the size. I tried an experiment once. At WalMart, I wore a 12. At Sears, I wore a 10. And at the most expensive store in town I wore a 4. All on the same day.

September 20, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  175. the Dude

Her face scares me.

September 19, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Then run back into your closet and hide, little feller.

September 19, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • whodacares

I don't think any of these people have seen the enlarged pix of her face. Obviously a serious smoker and her face looks like a withered old woman. Can you not even see that her face is a different color than her body? She looks like Ursula on a good day. I dare you to find the hi-res and then say her face is anything less than busted.

September 20, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • BioHzrd

I don't care what that makeup is for, it looks like someone give her a right AND left hook. The fashion world doesn't always know what it is doing...

September 20, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • mich81

the dude.......Her face scares me a little too. Way to much make-up, and her face is a different color than her skin on her neck, chest , etc. I think for the picture they did a little to much air brushing. I think she's had a nip and tuck too, but with her money or anyone else in Hollywood, without the nips and tucks they wouldn't be getting gigs!

September 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • melvinslizard

...and Tim Gunn... they're both fugly repulsive

September 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Louise

I hope she can continue to keep her weight down. This yoyo stuff can kill you.

September 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • lroy

I used to be a size five myself once upon a time (teens, early 20s). Then I grew up and out. Today, anyone that small my age (40 plus) borders on anorexic. Being too thin is as bad as too fat and besides, size is moot because many times it all depends on the way the dress is cut.

September 19, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • JG

So can being 60 years old.

October 13, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  177. Mayhem

Who cares? She is ultra hot for a 60 year old. Did you see her on DWTS? She has some curves plus some cool dance moves.

September 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • sdb

That's what Gunn was saying, and I agree with both o' you. She looks real good.

September 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • sosideirish

Absolutely agree. She looks fabulous, no matter what size she is. My only critique is I think her eyes were over-done. She doesn't need all that. Her eyes are gorgeous!

September 19, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • nldude

The dance moves that landed her on the floor? um yeah! lol

September 20, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • anna

Perhaps but she could do with a little less eye makeup.

September 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • BioHzrd

She herself looks fabulous! Good for her. However, her makeup artist needs a bit of firing. She looks like she got punched in both eyes (literally!).

September 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • S.

She looks like she had something done to her face! Maybe its just a lot of makeup, but that cannot be the only thing. Facelift maybe? Botox? Any thoughts?

September 20, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Balto Paul

Can we all agree to rename this show "Dancing with Attention Seeking Hags" and move on?

September 20, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • pm

I think she may be a nice person, but she is gross as far as her looks go but i didn't think she was attractive 20 years ago on Cheers.

October 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  178. portalpunk

And by jungle time I mean some Mc1ovin

September 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  179. lly

Portalpunk – he is hot but only for pretty boys...
    As for the woman, who cares about numbers, as long as she looks sweet and confident!

September 19, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Deb

Tim ought to know what a size 4 is...that's the size of his double chin! (can you say nip, tuck?)

September 20, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  181. Kiki

Why do we still have to keep talking about what size a woman is. I think we should flip the table around and start talking about men's weight and what size they are. I mean really who cares.
    http://www.thefashioncamp.com – win a free MISSONI throw

September 20, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  182. cheryl Lopez

HELLO!
    At CHICO'S, She is a size 4!

September 20, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  183. ladydi

I should look so good!!!!!

September 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  184. BFD

Who said she was a size 4. Maybe a 14, but a 4?

September 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Jane Brown

Who cares how much Kirstie weighs? It is nobody' s business but hers and anyhow who the hell cares. People should get off her back about the whole issue. and Hey Portalpunk – Tim Gunn has too much class to respond to you. If anything he is a very classy man – too bad he bats for the wrong team – so to speak

September 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Chartreuxe

TMI, Portalpunk.

September 21, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  187. Todd in DC

He does have the silver fox thing going for him.

September 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  188. f

Gunn may be a size 4 winkie.. She is NOT a size 4 anything except brain. She looks like a drugged out older version of Lindsay Lohan. Hey Lindsay! This is you in 10 years if you keep it up !!!! Party Hearty !

September 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Alison

I wish they would stop with the "vanity sizing". I wear a smaller size at age 51 than I did when I was 18, even though I am 10 pounds heavier now! I used to wear a size 4, and now I am a 2. I keep asking myself, "what sizes do the skinny women wear?" They must be wearing 00s, but I don't see very many stores selling size 00. I don't know where they go for their clothes, maybe the kids department.

September 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Sir Loin of Beef

And just what is Mr. Gunn's dress size?

October 2, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |