'The Secret Circle': Are witches the new vampires?
September 16th, 2011

'The Secret Circle': Are witches the new vampires?

[Editor's Note: This post includes spoilers for the pilot episode of the CW's "The Secret Circle."]

Attractive teenagers. Love triangles. Supernatural elements. Unexplained deaths. The CW’s “The Secret Circle,” based on the book series of the same name, is everything its target demo could want in a new program.

So far there’s no mention of vampires or werewolves, but “The Secret Circle’s” magic quality – sorry for the pun – should be enough to carry the show.

Unbeknownst to main character Cassie (Brittany Robertson) at the start of the pilot, she’s a witch. (She also knows how to change a tire, sans magic - or AAA - which is pretty impressive.)

While off changing said tire, Cassie’s mother becomes trapped in their burning kitchen. A man watching from outside the house lights matches - no doubt using some kind of cruel voodoo - until she’s engulfed in flames.

An orphan (her father died before she was born), Cassie moves to Chance Harbor, Washington, to live with her grandmother. Given the premise of the series, the quaint harbor town is most likely meant to give off a Salem, Mass., vibe.

After a less than favorable first day at school – people keep staring at her and she’s already encountered the school bully, Faye – Cassie heads to the local watering hole.

There she meets Ethan, who grew up with her mother. Ethan, a heavy drinker, tells her he loved her mom, and that their families are written in the stars. Cue Adam – Ethan’s son and Cassie’s potential love interest. Only problem: Adam has been dating Diana for three years.

Another run-in with Faye, and Cassie decides it’s best if she head home, but Faye has other plans. She uses her magic to lock Cassie’s car doors and make her engine smoke. Realizing that Cassie is unaware of magic, and thus, unable to save herself, Adam comes to the rescue. “I was testing her,” Faye proclaims.

That night, Cassie stares at the glow-in-the-dark stars strategically placed on the ceiling of her mother’s old bedroom. They begin to move, some shining more brightly than others.

Cassie looks for her grandmother the next morning. She needs answers. Her grandma is already in town meeting with Faye’s mother, Principal Chamberlain, to see if the kids are “practicing.” It’s safe to assume she’s referring to magic at this point. Chamberlain denies it, though something tells me she can’t be trusted.

Meanwhile, Cassie comes face-to-face with Diana’s dad – also known as the man who killed her mother. (Though she doesn’t know that.)

Knowing Cassie is distraught over the unexplained happenings, Diana agrees to get her up to speed. She takes her to an abandoned house. There waiting is Faye, Adam and the rest of the “circle.”

What we know so far:

• Each family has a book/journal that explains the family line
  • One person from six different families completes the circle (Cassie makes six)
  • Each of the teens lost at least one parent in an accident that occurred some time ago (The accident was magic-related, and, based on what we've seen so far, probably incorporated fire in some way)
  • Now that the circle is complete, they have to perform a ritual that will allow them to control their powers

To prove to Cassie that magic is real, Adam helps her use it to make the water droplets from plants and fallen leaves float into the air. One almost-kiss later and Cassie books it for the Boathouse.

She pumps Adam’s father Ethan for more information about her family. He tells her, “Bad things happen when you mess with fate,” and that her father was a bad man. But before he can explain, Charlie, the man who killed her mother, arrives.

With nobody else around, Charlie threatens to kill Ethan should he divulge any more information.

Then Charlie makes his way to Principal Chamberlain’s house. The pair decide they did the right thing by bringing Cassie to town - “She’s got the gift. … The circle will take care of the rest.” It seems these two are aware their children are “practicing” after all.

At the episode’s close, Cassie discovers her family’s book. Inside it is a letter from her mother: “I didn’t want you to have this life, but destiny isn’t easy to run from. … You’ve got incredible power inside you. … People will come for your power, they will come for you.”

What did you think of “The Secret Circle”? Will you tune in again next week?

Post by:
Filed under: TV recaps

1. Annie

The witches really are the new vampires. I am glad they got the circle together, but I believe Cassie needs to get rid of her black magic powers before something really bad happens to any of them. Also Cassie's dad has to be alive! I can not wait to find out on Thursday. I love this show and fully believe it is ten times better then the old charmed show.

January 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BLACK

doing a project about the secret circle need help :(

January 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Diavanii Regina

A circle doesn't need to be bound to control the powers when witches meet to include new ones. That's a lie. And demon possession as the basis for an episode so early on shows the show's writers are stretching, because they don't really know what to do next, so they fall back on old tropes. Before I stopped watching, I was glad to see that they didn't go all religious with the witchcraft in the storyline, like many of the modern one's out here in the public eye. (It's no wonder why we often choose to roll our eyes and keep to our own).

December 13, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. What this world have come to be

this show The secret circle is a teen version of that old witch show called Charmed. Nothing original and nothing fascinating. Same special effects! BORIINNG!!!!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pagan

oh Great now after the Vampire wannabe there is gonna be alot of witches that pretend that they even know what u are.
    The witches are not harry Potter! they are not making magic like on tv.....
    Personaly i have no problem with these series.They are interesting and entertaining but this is going to bring really wrong ideas for the young people.
    One advice for them:

DONT ACT LIKE SOMETHING UR NOT OR U DONT EVEN KNOW.

October 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Meret

It is so obvious who Cassie's dad is...

September 22, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. texasrhode

I read the series in middle school and loved it. The description above has some similar elements but typical of shows/movies based on books the events have been rearranged or changed to make it flow better (hopefully). Looking forward to checking the show out.

September 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lauren

LOVED THE PILOT EPISODE! so excited to see what's to come :) i already know that adam and cassie are going to become one of my favorite TV couples!!

September 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. meme

Drunken milf

September 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. nexus

After the years of Charmed drought, I am more than ready for any witchy show.

September 19, 2011 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. Aradia

If you want to know what real witches are about, google Charge of the Goddess. Blessed Be

September 19, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. LoJenkins

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

September 18, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. Too Stupid To understand - 2nd person

What's that for? the address?

September 17, 2011 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. lmao

^thank you for the laughs^

September 17, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. Beautiful Cookie Hiro Cowpunk

FIRSTY! no wait... be good.... ummm...who am I again? Doctor? Doctor?? where are my bipolar meds?

September 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. T-Rex

cookie = alecia

September 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  17. timmie

I hope everyone has a happy weekend. Even the trolls.

September 16, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. h*ll yes

Charlie c is no longer here so lets get someone we nail to the cross. Jerks..i have a life so i would love to stay here and cont this stupid game on trolling u guys but i have to go n enjoy my family and kids.

September 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. @babiyaga

and you know at BV is writing all that stuff bc you know her so well for her to get a slap...right? it seems here lately her comments have been ok expect a few that might be trolls posting as her. hey what do i know. all i know is cookie u seem to have a personal problem w her let me guess ur name starts w "A". must hurt when one has to spend a lot of money to get two plane seats. did u even know for sure she made that comment? man u ppl are all sad...lmao

September 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dumb

Azzes dont even know who is who anymore...lmao! man u guys should all go and jump of a cliff. some1 said it great on another blog... that U guys must wish charlie crack and his friends were still on here to troll on here. u don't even know if thats the real vixen or not...what azzh0les u'all look like...lmfao

September 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Once again

You idiots or should I say one idiot are trolling on yourselves. get a life...lol. Watch in 10 mins you one troll is going to have 10 comments up pretending to be different people...lmao. sad a$$h0le.

September 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. angel

its nothing like the books, its based on.

September 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. richard fores best friend

Lol u mad ? As I stated- – -lol.

September 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. @Richard Fores Best Friend

I don't know who you replied under because I'm on a phone. If your comment was directed at me, I'm not on here dishing out anything. I can't control the fact that people are using my name and saying stupid stuff. Trust me..if and when I dish it out, I can take it. Did I made myself clear to you, or, are you too stupid to understand?

September 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  25. timmie

It does sound like a possibly good show. I need to try watching it. I heard CNN deleted hundreds of post today with some really funny comments. Did you get to read them? I was in class so missed out. I always miss out on the fun stuff. Oh well. Have a great weekend.

September 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. richard fores best friend

U can dish butt u can't take it.

September 16, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Beautiful Vixen

@Portalpunk: Seriously..aren't you tired of f***ing around with me? I came on here to read what this show is all about and there you are again picking on me.

September 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cookie

@Beautiful Vixen- boohoo. it really sucks when you see people being annoying on a blog doesn't it? Cause I'm pretty sure I sit through you and your 18 different friends\personalities(?) on certain posts like this is a forum for r-tards. I've ALSO seen you and your friends troll a time or two.

Side note: only someone full of weaksauce needs others to defend them and troll with them. If you were a real woman you'd stand on your own.

Last note: The Secret Circle was good. I hope it turns out like Vampire Diaries and only gets better and better.

September 16, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babiyaga

@Cookie– also i've noticed Portal really doesn't TROLL unless someone gives him\her a reason. Though I've seen Vixen say and do a few things worthy of a ween slap to the face.

September 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. KajinPL

I hate to say it, but it does seem to be a pretty decent show more or less. Of course you have your typical teen characters, but I think the actual adult charcters are the most intriguing because of the mystery and subtle cruelty. So besides most of the teen angst it's pretty decent.

September 16, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Garry

Hey..I sorta kinda enjoyed it last night..thought it was a good start!

September 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. salley

I read these books in 1991 when I was in eighth grade. I read the Vampire Diaries that same year. I don't think these are "New" concepts.

September 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Richard Fore

It is the real me. You are all pathetic loosers. You may have known me in the past as Richard Fore Skin. This was my name until my handsome jewish life partner talked me into having a bris. Now I am just Richard Fore. Only half a man.

September 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. sasha

I just got back from luntch. Now feeling kinda wooozy. 2 six packs of malt liquor will do that to a girl, I guess.

September 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. JoeG

A decent start. I know it's Hollywood and all, but I'm really wary about shows like this advancing the stereotypes of the pagan religion. Contrary to popular belief, we are not freaks, we simply believe in a God and Goddess (or male and female divine), and spells are nothing more than prayers in which you concentrate the energy of your wish out to the universe to become manifest if it is meant to be. We can't start fires with our minds, fly on brooms, practice "dark magick", or anything of the sort. Makes for good TV, but it distorts the reality of one of the few religions it still seems OK to pick on because most people don't take it seriously.

September 16, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colleen

As a recent converter to paganism, I whole-heartedly agree with you. I wish more people would get a clue as to what it's really all about. I'll watch for entertainment value, certainly not education!

September 19, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Essix

As a fellow Pagan, I do agree that stereotypes find a way of spreading through society faster than most truths. However, this is a television show and completely fiction. The only people that look at it as a real representation of Paganism or Wicca are the young kids that haven't done their research to learn the differences and the Born Again Christians that suffer the delusion that their way is the only way. Most viewers will understand that people can't make fire vanish by willing it to do so.

September 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Confused?

Hope you don't mind a little "pale ale."

September 16, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  35. Confused?

Well, at least we know that's the real you and not some imposter.

September 16, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  36. Confused?

Aren't you the one who started the "fake posting" to troll others? LOL

September 16, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  37. sasha

So yesterday you were trying to use my name and now you're finally coming out into the open about your "preferences." Keep it to yourself, please.

ANYWAY, I think this show is GREAT! I'm sick of seeing vampire movies where most of the vampires are men... we need more estrogen on TV... witches are WONDERFUL... GIRL POWER!!!

September 16, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  38. Tatiana

If anyone has read the book A great and terrible beauty by Libba Bray will agree that witches are awesome!

September 16, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  39. Simon and Buttfunkel

Secret Circle Jerk!! OMG WHERE? We wanna join in!!

September 16, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Are you 13? You sure sound like it.

September 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

@Kate– 13-year-olds around the world are offended by your comment. Not all of us are idiotic airheads...

September 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hehe101

Tis true, I'm an honors student at a private school on scholarship. Not. I do want to go into politics, though.

September 19, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  40. portalpunk

As much as I love some scissors, I also like Jamaican men. It would've been a better show with Jamaican men and charlie crack in it with a cameo from Beautiful Vixen and Richard Fore. Beautiful Vixen can play the witch no one likes and charlie crack can play a vampire that comes in trying to be the good guy but gets staked by Richard Fore. Brilliant!!!

September 16, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  41. Louie

I guess people are getting tired of all the blood and neck slurping. Witches do cooler stuff.

September 16, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  42. JoeG

I'm a male, you fool.

September 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Time and Place

September 20, 2011
    5:00pm EST

1st Street SE and East Capitol Street NE
    Washington D.C., DC 20515

September 17, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  44. miss tang

Time to get back to your street corner, before some other girl steals your money making spot.

September 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |