'Hunger Games' shooting wraps in North Carolina
September 16th, 2011

'Hunger Games' shooting wraps in North Carolina

We’re one step closer to watching Suzanne Collins’ dystopian action series come to life onscreen. “The Hunger Games” has wrapped, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Principal photography on the Lionsgate adaptation was completed in North Carolina, where the movie was shot, last Saturday.

"The Hunger Games" was initially planned as a mid-budget flick for youngsters, but due to the wide-ranging popularity of the book series, it’s become a nearly $100-million production, reports the Los Angeles Times. Lionsgate is targeting movie-goers of all ages, not just teens.

The trilogy has over 12 million copies in print.

Gary Ross is directing the anticipated movie about teenagers forced to battle to the death for a televised event. Check out the trailer at the movie's official site.

Jennifer Lawrence stars as Katniss, and the film also features Josh Hutcherson (Peeta), Liam Hemsworth (Gale), Elizabeth Banks (Effie Trinket), Woody Harrelson (Haymitch), Stanley Tucci (Caesar Flickerman) and Lenny Kravitz (Cinna).

“The Hunger Games” has a March 23, 2012 release date, so you have plenty of time to pick up the book if you haven't read it yet!

« Previous entry
  1. cursos a distancia gratis

Hey There. I found your weblog using msn. This is a very smartly written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I'll definitely return.

March 31, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wabbles

8========D ~~~~~~~~

October 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mayday

You can find a description of Peeta on page 25 of the Hunger Games at the bottom of the page. He is decsribed as having a stocky build and medium height. I don't know where some of you got the idea that he was supposed to be a big, tall, muscular guy...

September 19, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. JeremyD

My serious concern is whether this movie will be rated R or not, or at least stretching the PG-13. I have read little more than half way through the book and already a huge fan. It's very unrelenting, it's not loaded with curse words but the brutality of its world should be shown properly. I found the book to be very serious and if they don't try to keep some of the grittyness it'll appear more like some fairytale about kids.

September 19, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. timeflies

Amazing book? What is considered amazing today is usually a lot of horseshytt!

September 19, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. kodok kampus

thats amazing movie with forest view. blogger nusantara blogpreneur indonesia

September 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ardian

I looked up all the actors and none of them are anything at all like the description or how i pictured them >=/. I hope they get all the action stuff right otherwise this is gonna kill it...And read the book FIRST, otherwise you probably wont understand it as well. I hope they make all 3

September 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mally

I have read the books so many times and I loved them! They have such a good message and there is so much symbolism in the series. I would suggest people who haven't read them already, so so now, because it's better to read the books first rather than watch the movie than read the book. I also hear a rumor that they are changing a lot from the book to the movie. I cannot wait .

September 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kv99

This book is a rip-off of battle royale, I can't believe she wasn't sued yet.

September 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jamie

i read all the books and feel in love i cant wait tell the movie. i will see it the night it comes out :)

September 18, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. iminim

This may just be a publicity photo, but I hope the clothing & characters look more scruffy in the actual movie than in this photo. The first book was pretty clear that these were very poor characters who lived tough, desparate lives. From this angle, Katniss' boot & jacket look too new and shiny. I have no doubt that Jennifer Lawrence can handle the role of Katniss after seeing Winter's Bone.

September 18, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Zippy

The books were pretty clear on this. All the 'contestants' have handlers and fashion consultants who design outfits for them. Did you miss those chapters.

September 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brittany

I agree about her clothes looking too new, because in this picture she is obviously talking to Gale in their hunting grounds. My major disappointment is that the jacket fits her perfectly, when she is supposed to be wearing her father's old hunting jacket. I doubt her father wore a woman's jacket. Gale's clothes do look a little patched up but not enough. They shouldn't be worrying about making the actors look good when District 12 is supposed to be poor.

September 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RosaF

I'm actually looking forward to this movie. The books are very good; I was pleasantly surprised by how dark the author was willing to go in them, and I thought just about everything was really well done. I had to roll my eyes at the whole love triangle thing, but the premise is interesting, the action is good, and the heroine is a bad*ss. Plus, the story is not so complex that it wouldn't translate pretty easily to the screen, so I don't have to worry about feeling cheated out of a side story that had to be cut, like I repeatedly felt with all the HP movies ("OMG Ron was robbed in this movie!!" "Wait, what happened to Kreacher? I loved that part!!")

September 18, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. reader

I read all the books in one week. The Hunger Games was required reading for my freshman son. I always read what his required reading is so we can talk about it. I loved these books. Someone mentioned that there seemed to be no hope, I have to disagree. I don't want to give anything away so all I will say is that history has taught us about empires falling and we all should take heed. Nothing lasts forever and if that does not give hope to someone than I don't know what does. I am so impatient with this movie coming out, it's driving me nuts. I just read somewhere that the opening was pushed to May. That sucks big time.

September 18, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. Skull Pirate

WOW...so you.take Battle Royale and add some Running Man–and you get this. #ideafail

September 18, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jazz

It's weird, I remeber Katniss as a blond. Oh well, I guess that means it's time to go reread the book before I see the movie

September 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. DARTH VADER

stephen king wrote a similar book under richard bachmann

September 17, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. brianC

Lenny Kravitz? He's much more a celebrity than he is an artist.

September 17, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bobzer

'Forced to battle to the death for a televised event' I haven't read the books, but from that description it sounds like 'The Running Man'. This looks like just another movie full of pretty people.

September 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mike

Check out Winter's Bone. Jennifer Lawrence is the perfect Katniss Everdeen.

September 17, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Aileen

totally agree. A lot of young actresses where fighting for this role. After reading the books and watching winters bone last year , Jennifer Lawrence is the perfect choice. The books are going to explode just like twilight and I hope the movies are not a let down! And hope these actors are prepared for their lives to change forever!

September 17, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jules

Seriously? These books sucked!!! All it did was depress me. There was no hope and none of the characters had any redeeming qualities. I hope the movie tanks.

September 17, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Kely

While parts of the book depressed me as well, I thought the book was fantastic. Just got done with the first one and can not wait to start the second. Will most likely read the trilogy more than once before the movie comes around. Lets just hope they do not change to much. I doubt you would know a good book outside of Dr. Seuss.

September 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. P.A.Kumar

i'm reading The Hunger Games right now, and so far it's not too bad.

September 17, 2011 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  22. Onlooker

The only teen series I have read is Uglies, which is based on a Twilight Zone."Number 12 Looks Just Like You" .
    Is the "Hunger Games" a modernization of an old sci fi novel?
    Aren't they younger in the books, (this seems like a High School Hollywood movie with 20 year old teenagers)
    And I have read reviews that panned the last 2 novels, which may mean they aren't cop outs. Or not.

September 17, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  23. @ Jan

Leave Portalpunk alone. Has plenty of friends here!

September 16, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. richard fore's best friend

@portalschmuck: you must be racking up the frequent firsty miles by now. what can you cash them in for?

September 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  25. FIX IN TX

@portalpunk ~ nice to see you back and firsty!!! @Elvis ~ knock back a few cervezas and enchiladas for me ~ Enjoy!

September 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Gordon Lightfoot

You don't know what hunger is until you're on a Iron Boat on Lake Superior when Witch Of November comes early. This one time, there was this boat...and it was in a storm....and the men were hungry, because the Dawn Came Late, And The Breakfast Had To Wait....hey, that kind rhymes...I wonder if I could use that in a song?

September 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Elvis

Man, just the word "hunger" makes me hongry! Well it's Friday, time for mexican food & cerveza! Y'all have a good weekend. Behave or you'll end up nekkid with a tag on your toe!

September 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Gordon Lightfoot

The should have set this movie in Wisconsin in the fall....and then they could have had a boat in the movie. There's a neat lake up there, the Chippewa called it Gitche Gumee'.

September 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill

Ummm.... From what the book says, the story is most likely in the Virginia area as District 12 mines coals. North Carolina is more fit than Wisconsin and there are no boats in the movies. Nobody important even lives by the water until book 2.

September 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • North Carolinian

I live in NC and understand why they chose this area. Aside from being beautiful, they had many of the sets already at their disposal. Disrtict 12 was an old, abandoned mining town. It is an erie, ramshackle area. The capital scenes were filmed in the beautiful downtown area of Charlotte. The company was able to save massive amounts of money filming in those locations. And if you weren't aware, NC is a HUGE film-making state, second only to California. Our geography and climate make it ideal.

September 17, 2011 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  29. timmie

I wish they would chain me up with heather. She has a beautiful name and sounds smart and nice.

September 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Heather

I don't understand why casting agents don't read the characters' descriptions before casting the movie. It's really important that Peeta be BIG. He's the baker's son and one of the only well-fed characters. Plus he's supposed to be blond because he comes from the richer part of town. The author put these details in for a reason. why ignore them?

September 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • footnotegirl

The author was also there for and approved ALL the casting decisions (very unusual). I have my qualms, but I'm going to trust Ms. Collins for now, and I believe they dyed the hair for Peeta's actor.
      I'm more worried about plot changes I've heard about like Madge being cut entirely out of the story. She's a small but very pivotal character.

September 16, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. stix69

me sooo hungy joe me eaty eaty wrong time

September 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Diana

I'm reading this book now..... and I really like it. My only complaint though is why is Peeta's actor so freaking short??? Peeta came off as very tall/ on the big side in the book and this kid is the same height as Jennifer Lawrence! This already bothers me. A lot. Like how Jacob from Twilight was supposed to be tall/big too... he'll always look like a beefed up child at that height. Ughhhhhh. Peeta's actor isn't that cute either :(

September 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill

Sorry to disappoint, lady, but I'd rather have an excellent but ugly (not saying he is) actor than a cute, bad actor. Casters don't pick people just because they have looks.

September 16, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Auds

They picked Josh Huterson because he's a phenomenal actor, thought I thought he'd have made a better Gale than Peeta! Weird how the casting went, but Taylor Lautner as Jacob turned out to be the best casting they did in all of that horrible Twilight film anyway.

September 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  33. timmie

This might be an ok movie but i kinda doubt it. There has been so much publicity and much of it sounds kind of boring. Oh well.

September 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • district12

Try reading the book before you say it's boring. It's one of the most amazing books ever written.

September 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You remind me of those brainless fundamentalist who criticize a movie before having even seen it. I'm not even close to the target age of the intended audience of these books (I'm 48), but I could not put them down. They were amazing from page one. Try actually picking up a book before being the automaton cynic in your judgement.

September 16, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • SJP

I read the book, and was not that impressed. Completely over-hyped.

September 17, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Joshl

The books were good, I read all of them, but "one of the most amazing books ever written" is SUCH a hilarious exaggeration!

September 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Auds

The books were excellent!! A little over exaggerated saying they're one of the most amazing ever written, but they were a fast paced easy & fun read. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the basic "everyone dies" plot line. It's easier to read deaths in a book than watch them on screen.

September 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • futureshock

Today's "amazing" means the book is equivalently entertaining to "Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck do Dollywood"!!!

September 19, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Caberg

Meh. The first book–Hunger Games–was entertaining enough. The last two in the trilogy went downhill. I had completely lost interest by the last book and could barely push myself to finish it.

I may check out the movie when it comes to Netflix.

September 19, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Terry

You need to read the books before you make a judgment, the books are very good I think the movie should do well, Look what happen to the twilight saga.

September 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. slap a moondancer

Momma chained you in the basement with the laptop again, didn't she?

September 16, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jan

How ironic that this sad little person makes every effort to be "firsty," yet has not once written an intelligent comment. Always first because she doesn't have to take any time to think of an intelligent comment to go with being first to post. Actually, not even an unintelligent comment. Not one. Just a brainless robot proud to hover at the keyboard for hours on end, waiting to simplypost "firsty." And that isn't even an original tag. She's likely without friends and has nothing better to do than wait for another article to be posted, so she can snap out a firsty. Amazingly sad. So many better ways to get peoples' attention, too.

September 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Joshl

What is wrong with you guys? Upset cause someone posted "firsty!!!!!"?? And Jan, I think that your entirely too long criticism comes across as far, far more sad.

September 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Alana

I'm with you, Jan.

September 17, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jan

Alana, I don't know how to say this, but my rant was actually my method of expressing my undying love for you...and roast beef sandwiches.

September 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Alana

Oh Jan, that's perfect, as my labiac bread encloses a roast beef like organ in appearance!

September 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jan

Oh Alana! And the smell is incredible! It makes me want to expunge my bowels and wear the result like war paint!

September 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  41. jroachman

Looks like 'joshi' needs to read a few more books and learn some proper grammar...

September 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  42. JoshL

oh it would take much more than just reading a few books to teach my proper grammar... and Jan, now you and Alana are just trying to turn me on, and it's workin ;)

September 17, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |