September 16th, 2011
09:40 AM ET
HBO has been promoting the Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight for weeks and they’ll square off this Saturday in Vegas. If only Pacquiao was Mayweather’s opponent, the match might be worth watching.
For those of you who refuse to purchase pay-per-view but like a dose of violence in your entertainment, consider watching movies known for their famous throwdowns instead. Besides, HBO will re-air the fight next weekend for free.
This week’s list is dedicated to memorable movie fights, the characters who fought them, and the trash talking that ensued along the way. What are your favorites?
1. "Rocky 3" (Rocky Balboa vs. Clubber Lang II): “You ain’t so bad!” – Rocky (Rocky vs. Thunderlips is a close second, but so are all of Rocky’s bouts.)
2. "The Last Dragon" (Leroy Green vs. Sho’nuff): “Now, when I say, ‘Who's da mastah,’ you say, "Sho'nuff!" – Sho’nuff
3. "The Empire Strikes Back" (Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader): “No. *I* am your father.” – Vader (Possibly the greatest line in film history.)
4. "The Matrix" (Neo vs. Morpheus): “Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that’s air you’re breathing now?” – Morpheus
5. "The Karate Kid" (Daniel Larusso vs. Johnny Lawrence): “Get him a body bag! Yeah!” – Johnny’s Cobra Kai Toady Tommy
"Fight Club" (Narrator vs. Tyler Durden) – “How much can you know about yourself, you've never been in a fight?” – Tyler Durden
"The Princess Bride" (Westley vs. Inigo Montoya): “I’m not left-handed either” – Westley
"Raging Bull" (Jake La Motta vs. Joey La Motta): “Come on, hit me. Harder. Harder.” – Jake La Motta
"Big Trouble in Little China" (Chang Sing vs. Wing Kong): “I was born ready.” – Jack Burton
"Die Hard" (John McClane vs. Karl): “You should have heard your brother squeal when I broke his neck.” – John McClane
"Gladiator" (Maximus vs. Tigris): “We who are about to die, salute you!” – Tigris
"Aliens" (Ellen Ripley vs. Alien Mother): “Get away from her, you b$%&#!” – Ripley
"Predator" (Dutch vs. Predator): “You’re one...*ugly* m.f.’er.” – Dutch
"Three O’Clock High" (Jerry Mitchell vs. Buddy Revell): “Today. After school. Three o'clock. In the parking lot. You try and run, I'm gonna track you down. You go to a teacher, it's only gonna get worse. You sneak home, I'm gonna be under your bed.” – Buddy Revell
"The Game of Death" (Bruce Lee vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar): The fight speaks for itself.
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.