September 16th, 2011

Charlie Sheen: That was all one weird phase

If you haven't noticed, Charlie Sheen is no longer spouting a Sheen-ism a minute, running from talk show to daytime program to nightly news segment exclaiming "winning!" and "I'm a rock star from Mars!"

Instead, he's bouncing from "The Tonight Show" to "Today" trying to explain what was going on with him during those crazy weeks. Interestingly, not even the actor himself has wrapped his head around what happened earlier this year.

"That was a time when, you know...I really don't know what happened," Sheen tells Matt Lauer on "Today." "It was one of those things where, boy, the planets were either aligned perfectly or imperfectly. I just said some stuff and it caught traction globally and instantly and I couldn't really put out that fire so I kept fueling it."

This tiger blood Sheen with Adonis DNA created something that "took on a life of its own," the actor continued. "People grabbed on to these catchphrases, these metaphors, as it were, and they just ran with it. It seemed like it caught a lot of people at a time when they needed something different to root for, or get inside and feel the energy of...I figured, all right, I'll continue to give people what they want."

These days, though, things are "a lot calmer," Sheen says. He says he's sober, no longer with any "goddesses" and is focusing on repairing broken relationships with the mothers of his children, Denise Richards and Brooke Mueller.

"I think it's important that people see that I feel that was just one crazy chapter, one weird phase, and that I was this guy before it started so I could be that guy again afterward," he told Lauer.

Thursday night, Sheen was just as humble on Jay Leno's couch. Reflecting back to his "winning" period, the actor explains, "I don't know so much that I was winning, but when you say it, you just feel better about yourself." He says what changed is that he "realized I was pretty much losing."

Sheen's Comedy Central roast airs on Monday, the same day that "Two and a Half Men" will premiere with Ashton Kutcher in Sheen's place. The actor admits that his firing is understandable.

"I would've fired [myself from 'Two and a Half Men'] too," he tells Leno. "It is what it is."

Filed under: Celebrities • Charlie Sheen • television

1. Jessica@work

No, dude... we were all totally making fun of you. " It seemed like it caught a lot of people at a time when they needed something different to root for, or get inside and feel the energy of..."

September 19, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LoJenkins

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

September 18, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Beautiful Vixen

Famous like my @nus!

September 16, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Superhiro

Lol, strange to come into a new thread and see someone commenting about you already. Makes ya feel famous :D. As for the topic... uhh yea, Sheen's crazy.

September 16, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Beautiful Vixen

Superhiro is a liberal stooge!

September 16, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. @rf's best friend

we didn't know 2 inch pen!ses could talk!

September 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PDXmum

Yeeeahhh...probably just running out of money at this point.

September 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. richard fores best friend

@elvis-i hate u but that was funny

September 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Upshire Court

The interviews Charlie Sheen are doing are his best performances. He is acting right now trying to convience everyone that he was just "Playing"....yeah right. He is still not doing well but I wish his way.

September 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Elvis

Charlie I hope you straighten out. It's embarassing if you do something stupid like get all drugged up and die on the cr@pper.

September 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

There is a reason its called "Bipolar" and this is the other pole

September 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fernace

OK, so Charlie Sheen has left Mars & come back down to Earth! It was only a matter of time, no1 can keep that manic, burn the candle at both ends going, without burning out! Welcome back, real Charlie, now we can hopefully see him get back in the swing of things, & do what he does best-act!!

September 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. timmie

yeah

September 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. timmie

I sure hope he will be ok. He used to be one of my favorite actors.

September 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

he is still one of mine he just has to come back making movies directed by talented filmakers (looking forward to watch the Coppola)

September 18, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. boocat

I dunno...I still like Charlie.....

September 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Beautiful Vixen

@Lee: lol..you described a troll. Maybe he is the one coming on here trolling on everyone. Anyway...I do hope he gets his head together. He does look like death and everything you said. He used to be a handsome guy. It's a shame what's going on with him.

September 16, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The Måd Råp3r

Charlie is just a normal, humble person like anyone else. Who among us hasn't gone on a bipolar/crack/meth/booze bender and gleefully cursed out their boss. I do once every couple years just to keep things interesting.

September 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

well said and actually this 'phase' had some very creative, colorful, poetic aspects, i liked it and now he can come back being more 'normal' and for that i like him even more, the guy is really human...and funny, and entertaining and charming well Go Charlie !! Looking forward to watch his next projects.

September 18, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  18. lmao

Richard fores wife left him. Left the children with him 2. Just like the movie me myself and irene egxactly like it.

September 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LEE

I saw part of his interview this morning with Mat Lauer. He looks like death and he has lost so much weight, his ears look huge. I felt like I was looking at someone who won't be here much longer. I hope I'm wrong.

September 16, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julia

He is really skinny in the Lauer interview but so much better on the Leno and Wendy Williams (actually good-looking and charming on the Wendy show) talk shows, maybe it is the lighting i don't know..it is amazing how everyone analize everything about this guy, he really live under a microscope must be hard imo.
      By the way i root for you Charlie, you are quite unique man.

September 18, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  20. Observer

From what I've seen, Charlie Sheen seems as clueless as the trolls on this blog.

It looks to be like a battle between Richard Fore and portalpunk/sasha/nancy...

September 16, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. dala gali

duh....meth.

September 16, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  22. slap a moondancer

@sasha aka portalpunk. You win again! Dork of the Day!

September 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  23. The Malibu Messiah

IM WINNING and you are a LOSER!!

September 16, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |