The Throwback: Joy, joy 'Ren & Stimpy' are 20
September 15th, 2011

The Throwback: Joy, joy 'Ren & Stimpy' are 20

"You EEEDIOT!"

"Happy, happy, joy, joy." "Hwarf." "No sir, I don’t like it." If this all seems like a random assemblage of words, then you’re not a child of Nicktoons (and I greatly pity you). The aforementioned are but a few of the indelible memories “The Ren & Stimpy Show” left singed in the brains of kids who grew up in the '90s, like a red-hot poker of cartoon lunacy sent plunging into our gray matter.

Back in August, the animated show about a neurotic chihuahua and his daft feline sidekick turned 20, sending shockwaves of nostalgia and terror through 20- and 30-somethings. And thanks to Nickelodeon’s recent surge of recycled  nostalgia programming, you can relive the classic series on Nicktoons (yep, we’re so old, the animation block has been given its own network).

Though “Ren & Stimpy” featured the familiar anthropomorphism, showtune-y music and absurd violence of Looney Tunes, it broke new ground for kids programming.

Sure, at first glance the five seasons we spent with Ren Hoek and Stimpson J. Cat were nothing but a vile collection of burps, boogers and other grotesqueries. And yes, the series was undeniably heavy on the scatological humor (“Son of Stimpy” consisted of the title character searching for his flatulence-cloud son…like Casper, but greenish). But it was so much more.

John Kricfalusi’s vision was incredibly creative and distinct, an apparently limitless palette of vibrant weirdness. He littered the show with a demented cast of creeps that seemed impossible to conjure with the human mind (like Powdered Toast Man, Muddy Mudskipper and the Tooth Beaver, among others).

Then there was the eye-catching animation. The characters’ faces were endlessly expressive, and those trademark close-ups showcased every glistening boil, throbbing blister, wriggling nerve ending…you get the idea. The images could actually make you SMELL the stink of the characters or FEEL their frantic rage.

Throw together all those elements, and you got a storm of crazed silliness that was irresistible to kids. But my parents (and countless others) loved the series just as much as their offspring. Adults could catch the sly commentary on corporate hucksterism (see: “Log”) and the portrayals of isolation and paranoia. The duo always seemed to be stranded - in the desert, in outer space, in the pound – and thus teetering on the edge of sanity. Such visions can only be fully appreciated by adults who’ve slogged through life’s minutiae.

What kids saw as silly and wild, adults saw as subversive and twisted. Children watched the protagonists jauntily sing themselves happy, while adults saw a message about the imperative to be optimistic, which maybe hit a little too close to home.

The seminal episode “Stimpy’s Fan Club” most perfectly illustrated the show’s duality. To kids, it was hilarious seeing Ren snap after Stimpy got all the adulation from fans: Ren began sweating profusely, speaking in weird tones, and generally behaving in a manner children would describe as “kooky” or “zany.”

Re-watching it now, I was enthralled by the darkness, the commitment to Ren’s descent into madness. I mean, I’m watching a character on a kids’ show contemplate murdering his sidekick (!) in a way that entertained oblivious children while hitting adult themes like power and envy.  The likes of “Shrek” and Pee-Wee could reach that level of layered humor occasionally, but “Ren & Stimpy” managed to do it several times per episode.

I’ll always be thankful my parents let me watch “Ren & Stimpy” as a belch-addicted tyke. I remember sitting with the family on Saturday mornings, bowl of Lucky Charms in hand, gleefully singing along to the anthem of the Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen. And I remember enjoying the show even more because I could tell my parents were digging it, too. A cartoon like that doesn’t come around very often.

So what memories of “The Ren & Stimpy Show” make you cry out “happy, happy, joy, joy” as the series turns 20?

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. Opium Mar - Otto Zutz Twitter

Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my blog so i came to return the favor?.I am trying to to find issues to improve my web site!I assume its adequate to make use of some of your concepts!!

November 22, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dan Hoek

What rolls down stairs
    Alone or in pairs
    Rolls over your neighbors dog
    It's great for a snack and fits on your back
    It's log log log

It's log, it's log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood
    It's log, it's log, it's better than bad it's good

Come on and buy a log
    Everyone wants a log

Log from Blammo

September 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Don Canard

he may be a blithering idiot, but he's _my_ blithering idiot!!!

September 19, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jp

Dont whiz on the electric fence!

September 19, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. IDKabthisCARTOON

This cartoon scared the crap out of me as a kid just like Beavis and Butthead, the Simpsons, and Courage the Cowardly Dog.

September 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JackofArts

I had a roommate who had collected every R& S on video that introduced me to such comments "Happy, happy, joy, joy". Given that the two of us were blessed with a twisted sense of humor, it was the funniest cartoon show aimed squarely for "adults" (AKA menchildren). Now that the both of us are parents, I wonder if he subjects his kids to that show. God I hope so-this next generation needs a twisted sense of humor to get through the crap coming in the years ahead due to the EEEEDIIOOTTS who are running this country.

September 17, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff in NJ

Don't wizz on the electric fence!

September 17, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bluecorns

I always thought this show was one of the most dementedly brilliant creations that television ever had to offer. So many conventions were flauted and satirized, mainly (I always thought) 1960's America: cartoons, TV, general mentality. It is remarkably entertaining to see how many other people still recall the ridiculous episodes and absurd dialogue. What a classic.

September 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SO HAPPY!!!

Space Madness is one of the most popular mentions here but "Stimpy's Invention" (the Happy Helmet episode) has got to be right up there as one of the funniest ones ever also.

Ren, are you angry? Your darn tootin' I'm angry!!!!

September 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. OldFan

I remember seeing FireDogs for the first time not knowing what I was watching just in absolute disbelief saying, "What the hell is this?! This is ridiculous!!!" With my face hurting from laughing so hard.

September 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Space Cabbage

…how I love to clean filthy cat boxes for STEEEEMPPPIE!!!

September 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BassMan

I remember seeing my first episode..."Fire Dogs" with a bunch of stoned friends in 1992...I almost died from stomach cramps, I laughed so hard! Have all the seasons on VHS! :-)

September 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Xanatos

funny to this day!!!!!!!

September 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. stevebeagle

i still have thee ""SPACE MADNESS "' !!!!!!!!

September 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dean

Ohhhhh, the big wooden chicken lived in the bush.
    The big, fat bush, full of worms.
    Big, fat worms and they ate the chickennnn...
    And they all died the very next day.

September 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Von

...."Huuuuuuge PECtoral muscles..."

September 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. EP

No sir, I didn't like it....

September 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Gossamer44

God I miss this Cartoon !!! Loved Ren and his Sarcasm !!!

September 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN!!!!!!

September 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. horse

mmm hmm, mmm hmmm, uh uh, no sir, I don't like it!

September 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Laura Myers

Lost in Space was great, especially after a few beers. "You didn't believe me! Why didn't you belieeeve me?"

September 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kristine

One of my favorite toys growing up was my Stimpy doll. I'm not sure what happened to him in the end, but when you squeezed him he made a farting noise and his tongue rolled out. I sure do miss that show!

September 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Walther Shmit

Belay that nosepicking cadet!

Thou hast besquirteth me; the maiden be thine!

Hey buddy, where's you're tag?

Is it steeenky? Just the way you like it!

September 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Greg

The golden hairball was one of my favorites.

September 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Leo

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!! The comics still are worth jack-squat!!!!

September 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. COBRA

DONT WIZZ ON THE ELECTRIC FENCE!

September 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Szur

I was in college when it premiered. I loved it immediately, my friends thought it was daft. I had a hard choice to make... forget the friends! This was genius then and is now. Ren: "At night, while you were asleep, I'd wipe my butt with your tongue". Stimpy: "I wasn't asleep". And the Ball of Bandaids. I still mutter that damn phrase this day.

September 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. SJ

Three-fingered Hoek: "You need look no further, Mr. Sheriff; for it is WE who are your villains!"

Mr. Horse: "They're horse thieves, you morons!"
    Sheriff and deputy: (after a long pause with the Jeopardy music playing) "HORSE THIEVES! HANG 'EM!"

Deputy: "Hey sheriff, we cain't hang these fellers."
    Sheriff: "Why not?"
    Deputy: "The skinny one don't weigh enough, and the fat one ain't got no neck."
    Sheriff: "Aww, who we gone ta hang now?"
    Deputy: (resignedly) "I guess we'll have to hang each other..."
    Both: (elatedly shriek with joy)

September 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Double J

It's better than bad, it's GOOD!

September 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Pete

Stimpy was voiced by the same guy who does Fry on Futurama.

September 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. lew4kids

What about Big House Blues? 3 square meals a day, roof over your head, what do you say boys? Yeah yeah food shelter. Where are they taking Phil? He's going to sleep. The Big Sleep!!

September 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  32. SciFiChickie

Happy Happy Joy Joy... brings back memories...

September 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  33. andy h.

mmm - glazed ham.

September 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jay

Come out and see the moon Ren

September 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. kramsnilloc

I remember watching with my kids...and the episode where all of Ren’s teeth fall and he puts the roots under his pillow for the ‘Root fairy’, made my 3 year old daughter decide stop using her ‘pluggie’ (pacifier) (threw it in the waste basket) when I told her that the same would to her happen if she continued to use it…she turns 22 this month…

September 16, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  36. John K

Ren and Stimpy indeed a great show..nice and subversive. Hearkens back to a much earlier cartoon that also was ostensibly for kids but appealed broadly to parents as well...the great Bullwinkle J Moose and Rocky the Flying Squirrel!

September 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  37. rob

What a great show. Wilbur Cobb, anyone?

September 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. LisaP

I forget what episode it was but there was something in a museum, Ren and Stimpy were sitting on the Lincoln Memorial and the 'toon cut to one of those crazy detailed stills. I don't remember quite what it looked like, but I was eating and thinking it was so gross I wanted to throw up! EPIC!

But my favorite is Space Madness for sure. My mom still believes in the land of left socks- even after I left home and graduated college.

September 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dave

LSD with Ren and Stimpy. Where did all that blotter go? Now THAT is entertainment!

September 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  40. jj

I remember learning about Ren & Stimpy at the 1990 WorldCon when Harlan Ellison raved about it.

September 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  41. skeeter

"It's okay Stimpy, you still have your magic nose goblins collection"...........Classic

September 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Patrick

The funniest episode was when they were wrestlers

September 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kali

Anyone remember the episode where Stimpy becomes obsessed with playing with his bellybutton and is transported to a different reality?? I've seen every R&S a million times, but this one seemed to air once and disappeared! I'll never forget it though! (the references to mastrubation when I was just myself learning the meaning of that word were obvious!)

September 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  44. KajinPL

"The little creatures of nature. They don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny. A fly marrying a bumble bee. I TOLD I'D SHOOT, BUT YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE. WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME?!! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

September 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. scimom

Does anyone remember the cool merchandise? The Ren doll would talk when you pulled the belly button string and Stimpy had a hair ball. Too Cool! Wish I still had them.

September 16, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  46. GG 206045 Allin

Frank Zappa as the Pope.

Bwahahahaha.

September 16, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. oldblindjohn

Why won't they leave me ALONE!!!! Is my e-mail alert.

September 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  48. BH

The first season was absolutely gold. Every episode was brilliant and funny on so many levels. Unfortunately the show got old as they resorted to gross-out episodes (at least in my mind) later on.

To me the ultimate episode was Space Madness. I'll put it up against an episode of any anitmated show ever as the greatest of all time.

September 16, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  49. TS

My favorite was "Don't pee on the electric fence." Loved it – had a theme song and all.

September 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

Satan: So you whizzed on the Electic Fence, didn't ya?
      Jingle: Don't Whiz On the Electric Fence.

Priceless.

September 16, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  50. theAntiELVIS

The original half-dozen or so episodes remain the best – especially the one where they are on the planet of continuous morphing. It's like Salvador Dali meets Hannibal Lector....

September 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  51. DS

Only episode I remember as a kid/teen was when Ren and Stimpy sell hairballs. Stimpy hairball production finally declined and he resorted to licking peoples backs to make hairballs. Classic and disgusting all wrapped up in one 90's package!

September 16, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  52. SJ

You there, Yak! Stop!

September 16, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. BLV

"You sick little monkey!"

September 16, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  54. the_dude

I was never one of the lame bandwagon-jumpers that pretended to like this stupid show when I was younger.

September 16, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  55. jo

Frank Zappa played the pope opposite Muddy Mudskipper.

September 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  56. dacva

Space Madness!!

September 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Greg

My favorite was the Space Madness episode. Probably the best episode of any animated series I've ever seen. To see it thrown in amongst a series of otherwise blandly cheery Saturday cartoons was amazing. And we all know we'd never resist the jolly, candy-like history eraser button.

The closest spirtual successor is probably SpongeBob – the first time I watch SpongeBob I rejoiced because I thought it was made by the same people. But the lesser known Invader Zim series was also fairly close.

September 16, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  58. jon

The first couple of seasons of this show were classic. I could watch them now and LMAO. The show kinda lost its charm in the later seasons as it seemed like they were just rehashing the same jokes over and over again.

September 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Green

Loved that show! I have a '94 Ren and Stimpy calendar in my office now (it's the same as 2011), right next to a framed Ren and Stimpy poster I've had since the show ran. My son and I would sit in front of the sofa and watch till we cried. Good stuff.

Didn't John K leave after the first 3 seasons? Seems like it wasn't nearly as funny after.

September 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Paul

Civil War Re-enactment log. It was the log, a boot, and a saw. Funniest thing I have ever seen on TV.

September 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  61. ggkthxnore

This show had some great PSAs too, Don't whizz on the electric fense? Those are words to live by.

September 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Reese

Favorite episodes: Stimpy's Invention, In the Army, Sven Hoek, The Great Outdoors, and last but not least, Visit to Anthony

September 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Pliny

Sadly, John Kricfalusi couldn't meet a schedule to save his life. So he got pulled off the show early on. It's a shame...because he did bring an edge to it. And he hasn't done jack-squat since then.

September 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Ruin

The gay episodes ruined the thoughts of my childhood, it was completely gross I'm the pitcher your the catcher. You even saw giz flying through the air while they were on the bed...yuck. so they were extremely gross gay guys? I remember Ren hooking up with girls in the old show so he's Bi? Great animation coming from an animator.... but the spike episodes ruined the show. Maybe that's why it was canceled right after that

September 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • VW

Ren always preferred the company of human women, but short of that, he'd settle for Stimpy.

September 19, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  65. Reese

I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!!!

September 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • DK

All the little critters of nature...they don't know they're ugly...

September 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jude

"Unwashed liederhosen"

September 16, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Tom

Wasn't there one where they had a baboon or something as a pet..

September 16, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  68. NOT MY CHAIR

Log rolls down stairs
    Alone or in pairs
    Rolls over your neighbors dog
    What's great for a snack
    & fits on your back?
    It's Log Log Log

September 16, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jayvulpix

let's not all forget BILLY WEST! who went on to do great voicework for Futurama

and the backgrounds drawn by Bill Wray are still the best. he also did work for samurai jack. his painting are really great.

September 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Nick

Flying Butt Pliers

September 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  71. phearis

DON'T PUSH THAT YOU FOOL! IT'S 'THE HISTORY ERASER' BUTTON!!!

September 16, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  72. RH

I remember my brothers going into the woods and giving my mother a "log" for her birthday. She didn't seem to thrilled...but I thought it was hilarious!

September 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  73. PowderedToastGirl!

Its Big, its heavy, IT'S WOOD!

September 16, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  74. ronk

How bout the little giant "He's barely huge" "He's merely enormous"

September 16, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  75. npg

when Kricfalusi was forced out of the show after the 1st season or so, the quality went into the toilet ....true fans noticed the decline immediately...the failure of the article to go into this is unfortunate

September 16, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • fuadramses

npg – totally agree. I'm surprised no one mentioned that until you. Once John K. was gone, it just wasn't funny anymore. It was gross and crude for the sake of being gross and crude.

September 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • BLV

Agreed. Stopped watching after John K was kicked out. Nickelodeon made a huge mistake in letting him go.

September 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  76. The Crimson Chin

Powdered Toast Man always flew backwards.

September 16, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  77. RCognition

I remember all of the episodes well but the one with the kilts always cracks me up. Great series.

September 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Frank

'the shiny candy like button' ... foreget the kids, I was in college in the early 90s and this show was always on!

September 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Yakobi.

Oh, boy! My first material possession!

September 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Kevin

They think I'm crazy...but I know better!
    It is not *I* who am crazy...it is I who am *MAD*!!!

September 16, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  81. MDS2011

CALL THE POOLLIICCEE!!!

September 16, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Yakobi.

Maybe I should make _another_ mistake...maybe TWO mistakes...

September 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Steven

Powderrrred Tooaaaast Maaaaaaaan!!!

September 16, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  83. Maggietabby

Not only am I proud to be Canadian, I am also a resident of Ottawa, John K's hometown! It is awesome that this grey government town could spawn a mind so delightfully twisted. Or maybe that's the reason. At any rate, the Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen salute you, John K!

September 16, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  84. Getting old

"And our saddle sores are the best!!"

Made me proud to be Canadian.

September 16, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  85. RichM

Ok, what do ya want to drink? Meat.

September 16, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  86. Maggietabby

"You EEDIOT!!!!" "Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence!" "If you ain't the mother of all liars!" and, of course, the Frilled Ren.

September 16, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  87. Ren's Cousin

Ren and Stimpy were great, sometimes a bit off, but great! Those that didn't like or understand them... Go back to watching Barney.

September 16, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  88. Dolt Patrol

I'm completely serious, by the way. It's on huluplus.com. Check it out for yourself. Ren and Stimpy Adult Cartoon. They ruined it.

September 16, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • jayvulpix

yes it was on spike TV when it first changed over from TNN. and yes, it wasn't that great, although john k. was trying to push some serious boundaries. i think the original show (original season, really) did the best by pushing boundaries that no one had pushed before... something like that.

there are also other "unedited" adult ren and stimpy you can find online that has nudity and religious overtones. now that's true john K.

September 16, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Dolt Patrol

It's too bad they re-released the cartoon and made Ren and Stimpy gay lovers. It's not so much that they're gay, the humor just sucks.

September 16, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  90. DCZ

"What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
    Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
    What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
    It's Log, Log, Log!

September 16, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  91. Chucky

Stinky Wizzleteats

September 16, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  92. Vincent

One of the best jobs I ever had. A studio chocked to ceiling with great people and amazing talents. While making most cartoons is a joy, I doubt many crews have been lucky enough to have the fun we had making Ren & Stimpy. It was all new frontiers, and grand hopes of things to come, after a decade of little to no artistic freedom. Ahhhh mammaries.....uh I mean Memories.

September 16, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  93. wjmknight

One song I remember from teh show:

Well the Lord loves a hangin' that's why he give us necks
    It tightens up our vocal chords and loosen ups our pecs
    so if you are a horse thief and guilty to the bone
    go ahead and blame a friend and you won't hang alone

Oh...it...might be hard to swaller'
    but you;ll be 3 feet taller
    and find new ways to entertain you friends
    You call yourself a villian
    but carry around petunias
    so go ahead and steal yourself a horse

2...3...11...or...5....7

Well the Lord loves a hangin and so do we by heck
    So go and find yoruself a lasso and decorate your necks
    Oh we is mighty ignorant and uglier than sin
    so, go ahead and cut us down....and hang us all again!

September 16, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • jayvulpix

hah i remember that song. i think the count goes "2, 4, 11, K!" not sure though! haven't finished watching all episodes again on netflix yet

September 16, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

"Never fear, for it is WEEEEEEEE who are your villains!!"

September 16, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Lil Lucas

IT'S LOG LOG LOG!!!

September 16, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  95. Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

Look no further - it is we who are your fire dogs!

September 16, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  96. T

It's the greatest animated series of all time. And it came on Sunday morning, not Saturday.

September 16, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  97. Colleen

Loooook at heeem, loved by meeeeelions.... I could keel heem in his sleep......

September 16, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  98. smith

sitting in my fraternity house in college with the brothers watchin Ren n Stimpy on endless loop with a beer in one hand and a joint in the other.

September 16, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  99. Tatiana

"Stimpy, YOU IDIOT! :D

September 16, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  100. Grumpster

I watched R&S regularly...but now watching it, they really are outdated. They did break ground for a lot of newer and nastier cartoons....some of that isn't necessarily a good thing, given how far things have gone south since then...speaking of South Park....that would never have been except for R&S and Beavis and BH too.

September 16, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  101. Spümco

Zillions of great moments – but one of my favorites was the episode when Ren and Stimpy are ushering immigrants through Ellis Island, and the guy just ahead of them in line gives his name as "Chad Jones" to Stimpy, whereupon Stimpy replies that it's too complicated and foreign-sounding, and rechristens the man "Bagayho Bagdasarian." I still chuckle when I hear that name. Dammit, there nothing like this on TV anymore...

September 16, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • zak

dude if you know what episode this is, please tell me the name, my friend and i have been trying forever to find the 'bagayho bagdasarian' episode!

November 16, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  102. AstraNavigo

I'm 57 (!) years old, and I adore Ren and Stimpy.

As my wife put it once, "This show is for adults. Kids may think it's funny, but the humor's directed squarely at us." I couldn't agree more. Who doesn't like Stinky Wizzleteats, and his cart full of sausage and pre-chewed gum? These were the things us Boomers thought about and discussed amongst ourselves at age 10, but could never say in front of our parents.

Ren and Stimpy, along with Beavis and Butt-Head, were the final justification of what we all knew Back Then.

September 16, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  103. Max

You can watch every Ren & Stimpy Episode on Netflix streaming.

Netflix Streaming has awesome TV shows.... especially good one's not on TV anymore.

September 16, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  104. Brian

I was a childless adult in the 90's, but still watched Ren & Stimpy. My favorite episode was the one where they got jobs at the Lincoln Memorial because they heard there was a treasure in Lincoln's head. Ren gets stuck in Lincoln's nose and its up to Stimpy to save him by dropping a coin in a box that reads: "See the President Pick His Nose. 5 Cents"

September 16, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  105. katj012

My favorite was the "Don't Whiz On the Electric Fence".... that is one of the weirdest games ever, but I still crack up at the thought!

September 16, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  106. R&S Fan

Remember when they would open their mouths and they had wood and nails in where teeth were supposed to be? They had all kind of wierd stuff when they would show close ups or inside views.

September 16, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  107. Aaron

What would you like to eat Kowalski? MEAT.

September 16, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  108. Mark C.

Can't forget the wrestling episode with "The flying butt-pliers"! I'm forty-five and I LOVE those two!

September 16, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  109. Emil

@bob.Without Steamboat Willie we wouldn't have any of this.

September 16, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  110. Kash

Saw that show many times. Fully enjoyed it. Wish they would bring that style of cartoon back (though I will say that cartoon network does a hell of a job at times too). But aeon flux and ren & stimpy really pushed the envelope.

September 16, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Junkpile

I second that. The show was hilarious especially on LSD, I laughed so hard my jaws hurt the next day. " MY OPERA RECORDS GOOBERED IN BUBBLE GUM YEEEEEAAAAAA". lol. Charlize Theron was a good choice for the aeon flux movie.

September 16, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • melvinslizard

The Bill Plimpton cartoons were awesome, too!

September 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Onslow

Loved Ren & Stimpy! Loved the style of animation. I got hooked on the first episode I saw when our lads were fire dogs; and when the fat woman was falling from the tall building, grinning, and had re-entry fire on her butt.

September 16, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  112. TEd

ahhh, the memories. Has that much time really gone by? Where we all be in the next 20 years.

September 16, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  113. Mills

Back in the day, this was the highlight of an evening with several friends, drunk off our azz. That provided clarity to one of the truly demented cartoons ever produced. Nevertheless, thanks John K!

September 16, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  114. Peter- New Jersey

My wife could never quite figure out why our 3 year old daughter liked to watch R&S with me... but mom figured dad and kid sitting, singing, and laughing together was a good thing. Wacky Ren & Stimpy made our other favorite show, Pete & Pete, look like Meet The Press in comparison.

September 16, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  115. Tortilla

STEEEEEEEEMPYYY!!

September 16, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  116. tortilla

oh man.. great times watching this show, although i still remember seeing naughty things on this show, it was awesome

September 16, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  117. nakisha edwards

I was out and I found rs in the adult section of the video store it was hella funny im glad to see it again

September 16, 2011 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  118. Mike

From Space Madness, to Croco Stimpy; From Powdered Toast man ("grab hold of my buttux!") to the horse (" No sir, I don't like it!"); From Log (by Blammo!) to Griity Kitty Cat Litter (" Stays crunchy, even in milk!")...

And the Tooth Fairy episode!

So many classics, and really – pure genius.

September 16, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • jayvulpix

grab a hold of my buttox! "both of them??"

September 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • indydave

"Quick man! Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" I had a sound file on a Mac back in '93 or so of that quote, and got a very dirty look from a sorta-supervisor at work when it happened to play at an inopportune time. Trivia question: Who voiced the Pope character in that episode?
      Frank Zappa.

September 16, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Aaron

How about the, "Don't Pee on the Electric Fence" episode?

September 16, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • melvinslizard

First, I'm going to rIp your LIps off!
      Then, I'm going to tear your arms out of their socketz!
      Then, I'm gonna hitcha, and yer gonna fall, and I'M GONNA LAUGH! :)

PRICELESS.

September 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  120. jay

I like how Powder Toast Man farted powdered toast before he flew away.

September 16, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  121. Kathy

Best cartoon of the 80's! "What eez it,man?!"

September 16, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  122. lakatalina

My kids started watching R&S after they found me laughing hysterically at one of their first cartoons. "Space Madness" is classic! "What eez it, man?!"

September 16, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  123. lakatalina

September 16, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  124. laura

I've had this ice cream bar since i was a child!

September 16, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  125. SuztheGoose

I remember Stimpy's collection pf nose goblins under the table lol

September 15, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Jessica

What's great for a snack and fits on your back?

September 15, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Wendy

I knew John K. when I worked in animation in L.A. Very, very nice guy!! Hope he's doing well, he deserves it!

September 15, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Sid

That show was meant for kids? We used to get stoned and watch it in college!

September 15, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Tariq

cat dog outdoes them all!

September 15, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Guest

SPACE....MADNESS!

September 15, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Beefburger

I have that stupid "RUBBER NEEEEPLE SALESMAN" etched into my brain like it was done with a wood burning kit. Just ask the magic nose gobblins about that.

September 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • indydave

"Call the Police!"
      One of the best episodes ever, without a doubt.

September 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Guest

Maybe not ha ha funny,but surreal.I liked it

Remember watching this at times with Liquid Television on Mtv

Back when you had to watch what was on,and not what you wanted.Spoiled kids

September 15, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Absolutely! I haven't thought about liquid tv in ages.. Sunday nights on MTV used to be pretty bad azz! It's unfortunate that teen mom programming and wannabe pro-drunken mafia types are apparently the norm nowadays.. Happily, I have never seen an episode of jersey shore or that teen mom crap..

Happy birthday, R&S!

September 15, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  133. bob

as a few commenters noted, R&S's lasting impact was in the cartoons it influenced, from the immediate followers like Dexter's Lab and PowerPuff Girls, to SpongeBob Square Pants. Without Ren and Stimpy, we wouldn't have the kind of stylized character design, bright color palettes and willingness to ditch rules about how a character could move or how their body could be shaped that we have in cartoons now. "The Simpsons" shows that cartoons don't have to be cartoonish, while Ren and Stimpy showed that cartoons can be more cartoony than we had ever imagined.

September 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • R&S Fan

Don't forget that it also influenced Pinky and the Brain as well!!

September 16, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Stan

I'm not so sure it influenced Pinky and the Brain; they were contemporaries more than anything.

The best episode was where Powdered Toast Man becomes president and throws the bill of rights on the fire to warm up the Oval Office. You don't often get that kind of social commentary sneaking into a kids show.

September 16, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  134. cyan22

"What's this? An ingrown dewclaw. DISQUALIFIED!" i simply luv Ren & Stimpy...anyone who is too young or simply don't remember them...i feel sorry for

September 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  135. cyan22

"What's this? An ingrown dewclaw. DISQUALIFIED!" i luv Ren & Stimpy...anyone who is too young or doesn't remember them...i feel sorry for

September 15, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  136. W8n4Je5u5

I love Ren and Stimpy! Go Ren and Stimpy!!!! <3

September 15, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Admiral Kent

Happy(happy, joy, joy) Ren and Stimpy! I still consider Sponge Bob a shameless ripoff!

September 15, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Gotha

You can't have MY ice cream bar!!!!!!

September 15, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  139. SPACE MADNESS!!!

My favorite episode by far is Space Madness.

September 15, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • nemoviegirl

How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to erradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button?

September 16, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • voopie

My beloved ice cream bar! How I love to lick your creamy center!

September 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  140. phatgyrl36

Wow how time flies. Muddy mud skipper was the best show within a show. My favorite episode was when. Ren wouldnt brush his teeth and all his teeth fell out and he had stinky gum holes. Funny as hell. Boy I miss the good ol days

September 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Chris

I had two Ren & Stimpy posters in my room. I had the stuffed toys, the video games, t-shirts, and the VHS tapes as well. South Park, Adventure Time, and any cartoon show worth watching these days would be nothing without Ren & Stimpy. Thanks for the weird and wondeful memories!

September 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  142. The Truth

You Idiot!!!!

September 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Kenzie

This was my favorite show ever! And now I get to watch it with my daughter :) It's pretty nice!

September 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Ree

Such an amazing show. I remember me and my brother running around the house shutting off the lights to get the full effect of the strobe action when Powdered Toast Man showed up. And how can we forget Gritty Kitty?!? I may not be the president, I may not be the Pope. But as long as I have Gritty Kitty.. I shall never mope!!!

September 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  145. BrofromtheO

Reading this article has definitely brought back some interesting memories. Knowing that the series is 20 years old really isn't sitting too well with me. It reminded me I'm not as young as I once was. Thanks a lot Bin Laden.

September 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  146. BrofromtheO

Reading this article has definitely brought back some interesting memories. Knowing that the series is 20 years old really isn't sitting too well with me. I reminded me I'm not as young as I once was. Thanks a lot Bin Laden.

September 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  147. fan fan

Ive had "happy happy joy joy" as my alarm clock and ring tone for almost 3 years. my mom and girlfriend believe this would drive me insane but i am still so happy about it. I wouldn't want to start my day with any other song :D

September 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  148. the Realness

Ren & stimpy was epic. Happy Birthday. !!!

September 15, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Peaceful guy

H Elswick, that's the Queen Bean and all the other beans are the little worker beans!

September 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Malkntnt

*'Ren & Stimpy' are 140

September 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  151. jeff

im 49,me and my kids loved the show.My favorite show now is spongebob,the first couple years of the show were cutting edge.Most of the stuff goes right over kids heads

September 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Aunt Dandie

sassy!

September 15, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Snarfy

I absolutely loved the Happy Happy Joy Joy song. That was a hilarious cartoon.

September 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  154. professional wrassler

Beavis and Butthead could kick rin and stimpys butts. I saw them wrassling once. They are karate men ! Karate men I tell ya !

September 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  155. donald

Yeah. They should do an article about Beavis and Boothead. That Beavis is one funny guy. FIRE ! FIRE ! FIRE !

September 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  156. BieberFAN

They were ok but nowheres near as great as Beavis and Butthead. B&B were cooler and funnier and had good music videos. Plus Terrance & Philip is a gooder cartoon too. And SouthPark is way betterer.

September 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • mxp5769

first of all, your name says it all.... & since you're a beiber fan, it figures you'd like B&B...what a bunch of crap!

September 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • grumpette

If you can say "NOWHERES" instead of "nowhere" I guess you're about the same IQ as Beavis.

September 16, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Beeberh8ter

Wow...great grammar there. Gooder and Nowheres.....oh joy.

September 16, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Biebersvcks

R&S were first...the others are improvements...sort of, over that. R&S broke the ground they now tread on. And by the way, it's not "nowheres," it's "nowhere." Also, "gooder" is not a word. I guess you spent all your time watching cartoons instead of reading your homework books. Good job, welfare boy.

September 16, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • LoopsFroot

You poor thing. Obviously you missed the whole point of this article. B&B catered to a different age bracket and was on MTV no less. Ren & Stimpy ran with the Looney Toons pack, nothing but wild and chaotic craziness and those of us who enjoyed it would take them over B&B anyday.

September 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  157. kpn

It was all about "Space Madness" for me. I watched it a few months ago during a blizzard and it had me rolling uncontrollably across the floor.

September 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoFlaGal

Space Madness was beyond awesome. "We're not hitchhiking anymore...we're RIDING!" Ahahahahaha! John K. is an amazing, subversive talent. There's a line in Raising Arizona, when Nic Cage's character is wondering what effect he's had on little Nathan Arizona, Jr. He says that he hopes he's broadened the boy's horizons a little, "even if he can't remember just how they got broadened". That's what Ren & Stimpy did for kids everywhere – broadened their mental horizons a little. Anyone who dismisses it as a bunch of fart jokes has got it all wrong.

September 16, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
    • BLV

"This is MY ice cream bar! I've had it since I was a child!"

September 16, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • snotlocker

"No one will covet my luscious ice creeeaaam bar!"

September 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  158. H Elswick

"Dear Dr. Stupid. What's that floating on top of my can of beans?"

September 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimmyrulestheworld

"That's the queen bean....and all the other beans are worker beans!"

September 16, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  159. Azureblue

I loved your article. It brought back a lot of memories, and I agreed with you on every point you made, which you did elegantly. These days as a late 20 something I get my fix on Spongebob Squarepants. Spongebob carries on those same "trademark close-ups" and "how did they come up with this s!@#?" started by Ren & Stimpy. Anyway, well done!

September 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  160. KajinPL

Man, the stuff they used to get away with when I was a kid. I listened to "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy" a couple years back and laughed hard. That song will make an unbalanced person kill themselves.

September 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  161. NH

My favorite cartoon! I loved Egg-Yokeo.

September 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  162. mgs

Loved the songs- a little embarrassed to admit I can still sing most of them from memory ("I'm going to be a monkey," "don't whiz on the electric fence," "LOG," and "The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen" theme). I had the soundtrack on cassette tape. It was bright orange and could usually be found in my walkmen.

September 15, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  163. PLUNA

my kids and I will still sing the "log" jingle and of course wish we had the home version of "dont pee on the electric fence" also...play hide and seek...."i'm in the closet....like an idiot"!!!!

September 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  164. San Jose

It's log, log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood. LOG! LOG! LOG!

September 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

It's better than bad, it's good.

September 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • magruber

everyone loves a log. Your gonna love a log. Come on and get your Log. Everyone Needs a Log!

September 16, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Double J

The International Log! Translates into many different languages like French! Spanish! And now...even New Yorkese!

September 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Kendall

Ah....memories.

September 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Reddie

Yea I remember that crap,I thought they sucked when I was a toddler and they suck now.

September 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  167. tracie

I watched this cartoon when I was sitting on the toilet one time.

September 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whadder

Yhouuuu eeeeeediot! Are you krazy man? Whhhatt where yhou theinking!

Watching TV while giving birth is not a really good idea I don't think.

September 16, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I remember taking shrooms and watching about 5 minutes of an episode, had to go outside / couldn't breath I was laughing so hard, truly great humor.

September 16, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Viking23

...and then the Phantom stalks his victims, tear them limb from limb, but not before he bores them with endless hours of showbiz talk!!

September 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |