Whitney Houston sought for 'Sparkle' remake
September 13th, 2011

Whitney Houston sought for 'Sparkle' remake

In other remake news, the 1976 musical drama “Sparkle” is getting an update, and Whitney Houston is in talks to star as Jordin Sparks’ mother, CNN can confirm.

Sparks has the female lead in the girl group flick, according to The Hollywood Reporter, and director Salim Akil (“Jumping the Broom”) is reportedly working on getting Houston for the film, but the singer's rep tells CNN that there's no firm deal yet.

It shouldn’t be difficult to get Houston on board with the role. As THR reminds us, the R&B diva has wanted to remake “Sparkle” for a while. She was once set to produce a Warner Bros. version that would’ve starred the late Aaliyah.

The original “Sparkle was loosely based on the story of The Supremes. Sparks will play the titular character Sparkle, one of the three Williams sisters, with Houston (hopefully) as her mother Effie. Omar Epps is slated to play Satin, who marries one of the sisters.

"Sparkle" is said to have been the inspiration for the Broadway show and film "Dreamgirls."

This will be the acting debut for “American Idol” alum Jordin Sparks.

1. spa

Useful information. Lucky me I found your web site unintentionally, and I'm shocked why this coincidence did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

June 2, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. court order

I've been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i am happy to show that I have a very good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I such a lot undoubtedly will make sure to don?t forget this site and provides it a glance on a continuing basis.

April 2, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. ME623

This remake is so badly casted, I think it's gonna suck big time. They've cast Mike Epps as "Satin Struthers". Chandler Bing voice: Could this beee any lamer?! LOL Not gonna waste time or money on this.

October 26, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. The One

I loved that movie,Can't wait to see what thay make of it.I pray withney do well.....

October 25, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. freddy j

dont forget peeps...they have pitch correct machines now they use for recording and live, so she can hit bad notes. Its what they are using on most singers now. How do you think Glee sounds so "polished". Idol was using it live for a while for thier group sings until they got complaints about people lip-syncing. was this "sparkle" remade with Mariah? and you know that was a flop. If the script is bad, it does not matter what kind of singers you have.

October 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. annie

remakes will always be in the 70's they remade 50's movies etc etc but whitney needs to just stop retire and try not to smoke up what money she has left and try being a good parent for once and keep her daughter off drugs the whole time her kid was growing up she was high poor Bobbie Christina

October 18, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tony

Whitney is on set in Detroit and has already begun to shoot Sparkle so build a bridge and get over it. I believe this will do well and I can't wait to see it.

October 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. amor cabarles

i really love whitney. i hope she would one moment in time to have a concert here in manila,philippines. for me she's one of my favorite divas. god bless you and your family. more power!

amor

October 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eliza

Sparkle has been done. Dreamgirls has been done. Whitney will never be clean and off drugs.
    Why bother?

October 12, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. Blackheywood

The great actress Mary Alice played Effie Johnson , Sparkle mama.In the original movie Irene Cara was the star, but actress Lonette Mckee who played Sister stole the movie.It was a miscarriage in music history that those women did not record the album SPARKLE. Aretha covered it well, but I believe Sister and the Sisters would've made the album and movie a great classic.

October 9, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kalifa

I love the movie sparkle and can't wai to see it. I saw a pic of whitney recently and she looks greta. I think she wil do well as Efie. She has a lot to pull from and she;s one of the producers. Not sure about Jordin Sparks but I'm willing to give this movie a shot.

October 9, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Giggles

Sparkle was a good movie an if they do remake the movie i hope she gets the part. im just happy that it wont have the cast from dream girls new people that hasnt been on the seen for awhile.

October 9, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. ohsnap

The only remake she should do is The Bodyguard. Her personal story would fit right in as a sequel. Best movie she ever made.

October 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. diamond benjamin

she lok good 4 her age

October 3, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Shaun

I agree. SPRAKLE is a fantastic movie and should not be touched. Whitney is a great artist but could not play Effie as the mother in the movie. Lonette McKee can never be replaced in that movie either as Sister. If I could choose my cast for this movie for the closest of characters they would be. Edris Elba: Silk. Micheal Ealy: Sticks. Diana Ross: Effie. Mariah Carey: Sister. Kandi Burrus: Middle Sister. Jordan Sparks could play Sparkle....she may have the potential to carry the role>

September 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blackheywood

Mariah is to old to play Sister. Other than that good casting.

October 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Joe Mama

Nothing is sadder than an old has-been, who looks 78 years old from years of smoking crack, who has cemented their reputation as a druggie, trying to get back on top. Cocaine is a hell of a drug. Crack is wack.

September 29, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  17. Sam

I love Whitney and just like Michael Jackson when she is alive haters will hater and make fun of her, but once she's gone everyone will realize what a great icon and legend we lost, and they will all cry and listen to her again. Everyone was saying "jacko wacko" and all crap about MJ, but when he dies it's "I love you MJ!". It's too bad that these people do not show these superrstars the love when they are still with us, just because they struggled with their personal lives. So make all the jokes, but she's doing her own thing and just like all her movies, real people (not the few trolls online) will go see her.

September 20, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Thank you Sam, at least i have someone that feels the same as i do, they are just some bunch of lazy, caused and confused people who live their lives trying to bring others down. they cant succeed with the World's Famous WHITNEY HOUSTON....SHE IS A TIMELESS LEGEND

September 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jared

I loved this movie. I can't wait to see Whitney in this. I think she can do it. alot of the issues mirror her life so she has a lot ot pull from. Sister's shoes gon be hard to fill.

Good to see Whitney back on the screen.

September 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. derp

Sparkle? Isn't that what happens to a big rock of crack when you light it on fire.

September 15, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  20. black

I think Whitney Houston will do welll...... Her name alone can push sells........ it's funny that everyone has something negative to say about a person that doesnt know exist..... #imjustsayin

September 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Cammy

This is exciting! Love Jordin, love Whitney!

Check out what Jordin Sparks had to say to UPTOWN Magazine at New York Fashion Week about style and her upcoming role in "Sparkle"!

September 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. shawakatima

I heard Whitney tried to smoke a box of sparklers once. At least the movie will find her in new hair, teeth and tongue. Come on back Whitters!

September 14, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. brownsuga710

Whitney as Effie? No. That character was too dignified for Whitney to play. Ugh. And Jordin Sparks as Sparkle? No. And there isn't anyone, IMHO who could match the performance of Lonette McKee. It would be a sad attempt to remake a classic. Why can't these movie people come up with something freakin original?

September 14, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Get a room (@ brownsuga710)

Because original ideas take original thoughts... and time. People have not only gotten lazy, but in the process of being lazy, they decide to just go with "what works" or "what worked" to sell tickets. I agree... sometimes original movies were never meant to be remade.

September 14, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  24. Whitney Houston

I I I I b up to it foolz. Wayz bobbeeh...HEEEEEYYYY BOBBEEEH...Way my crack pipe b? Fiyuh it up bobbeeh...YOW less git HIGH!!

Crack is whack and Whitney aint neva gun b fat.

September 14, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Get a room

LOL!!!

September 14, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • jason 81

if this is really you wit , i got your back , i believe in you , do what you do, and turn that film out to show these non talented people they don't know who they are dealing with.

October 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Namaste

Sparkle? Isn't that a window cleaner?

September 14, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  26. LisaLisa

I don't think Whitney is up to it. The producers are going to blow a lot of money because she probably will be so strung out she won't show up on the set. Loved her WAY BACK. But I don't think she's dealt with her addiction. Truly sad watching such an awesome talent (**incredible singer**) go to waste.

September 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • jason 81

well lisa, lets give her a shot and see what happens, she deserves it. she may surprise you, she wasnt bad in her other movies.

October 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. TJ

Curtis Mayfield's songs were so fitting for the movie Sparkle & Arethra Franklin did a fantastic job with the movie album!!

September 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Too Far Gone

Epic fail.

September 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lucy

Whitney should play Sister as the mother never sang in the original.

September 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blackheywood

Whitney is "to long in the tooth" to play Sister. Plus Sister was FINE, a stone cold Fox. I would drink her bath water.

October 9, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Iva

Some movies are best left alone and "Sparkle" is one of them. If you haven't seen the Sparkle, I highly recommend you rent it. It was a great movie with top notch acting (Lonette McKee as "Sister" and Irene Cara as Sparkle) and directing. It was made in the mid 70s so naturally it was overlooked by mainstream Hollywood. It was much better than "Dreamgirls".

September 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Tracy Green

Whitney please spare yourself and the world, do not embarrass yourself trying to do the remake of Sparkle until you stop smoking and get your voice back. The last time I viewed you on stage, the fans were so upset that I couldn't stop laughing at the things they said. Honestly I am a Whitney Houston fan but don't want you to humiliate yourself anymore.

September 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Tracy or what ever you call yourself you are not a true fan of WHITNEY HOUSTON no true fan of hers would say such things you typed up here...

September 20, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • leevonta

Wow u call yourself a fan come on now. U are a fan of her singing what she do on her own time is up up to her n the GOD that she beleave in. Please understand Whitney houston is not telling you are any one else to do the things that she have done. She living her life not yours. I have love whitney since day one and still love whitney. Also u got to understand miss whitney is 50 now. She not the young girl that she once was. Her voice change just like anyone elses if u dont take care of it. I still love whitney voice these days

October 3, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • jason 81

what about some respect with the fact that she gave us hits for 20yrs and was on point, if she wants to have an experience of doing drugs , let her have it, she still was amazing singer and person . what you judge in some way or form , you become. one day tracy your have your moment .

October 10, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Inhale

"Crackle"

September 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  33. @Policeman

perhaps you need to stay off the pipe yourself.

September 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  34. fernace

Not Ready 4 Doodoo Time Players, hmm, tracie??Lol! I'm all for getting Nippy back in the game! She was a generations best vocalist, inspired the next generations & she's trying to get it all under control, y'all, don't hate! This & the new Exhale movie (in discussion) should let her talents shine again! Yep, I'm on team Whitney!!

September 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Policeman

Will they pay her in crack?

September 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. tracie

Anybody ready for doo doo time??

September 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dude Dee Buble

I have been eagerly awaiting a doody bubble since 2005. No luck yet. Bah-Baaaaaaay!!!!!!

October 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jillmarie

secondy? Not a fan of Houston's- will skip this.

September 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • jjac401

I am againt this remake of Sparkle. And I am even mre gainst Whitney Houston being cast in it. I doubt this will make much money at the box office. They need to can this "project." And Whitney needs to focus on really getting well.

October 17, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. portalschmuck

Firsty! A thinly veiled remake of a remake.

September 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |