September 13th, 2011

Remembering Tupac: 15 years since fatal shooting

On September 7, 1996, famed rapper Tupac Shakur was exiting a Mike Tyson fight in Las Vegas when he was shot multiple times by an assailant. The following week, on September 13, Tupac died at the age of 25.

It's been 15 years since but his murder still remains unsolved, landing the shooting of Tupac in Time magazine's Top 10 Unsolved Crimes, along with the still-unsolved murder of fellow rapper the Notorious B.I.G.

But thanks to his impact on the industry and the musical legacy he left behind - and, we suppose, the insistent meme that Tupac is alive, well and walking among us - Tupac's name is still often spotted in headlines.

One of his songs, "Changes," made its way to the Vatican's official MySpace playlist in 2009, the rights to a screenplay he penned while in jail were acquired in May, and a potential film about his life has been talked about for the past few years.

The superstar rapper may be gone, but he is clearly not forgotten.

Filed under: Music

1. Jaiden

I've been inspired. I Have a strong feeling like Tupac would come back and take over the industry again.
    Buh No idea about where he would be coming from coz i can reckon his cremation.

December 14, 2013 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. juan Davila

Best rapper ever

June 27, 2013 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. Georgian man

Georgians like American rapper 2Pac, Eazye ,biggie!

July 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TRUTH GANG OR DIE

Tupac is still alive .

June 23, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DC VA Emergency Board up

Undeniably consider that which you stated. Your favourite justification appeared to be at the web the easiest factor to bear in mind of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as other people consider concerns that they just don't know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as well as outlined out the entire thing without having side effect , other folks could take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

June 21, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cisco Routers

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I get actually loved account your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing for your feeds or even I fulfillment you get entry to persistently fast.

June 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. money rate conversion

I just like the valuable info you provide on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at again here regularly. I am slightly sure I'll be told lots of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

April 23, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. donthate_85

he died 2006 today its 2012 that 6 years (i dont know why they say 15yrs) you can leagally fake your death for seven years and come back under completely some other name etc. as long as you prove to the government that you life is in danger and after biggie was killed i dont blame him .... he super smart

April 21, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • RealTalk

pac died in 1996. get ur facts str8

May 17, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Notorious1234

Are you retarded? He died in '96. If this was a Tupac test, and "What year did Tupac die?" was on the test, you would have gotten a
      BIG
      FAT
      F

May 31, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. webuyanycar

Remarkable things here. I am very happy to peer your post. Thank you a lot and I'm looking ahead to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

April 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. WYNAJEM SAMOCHODÓW GDAŃSK, WYPOŻYCZALNIA SAMOCHODÓW GDANSK, WYPOŻYCZALNIA SAMOCHÓDOW GDANSK LOTNISKO

Thank you, I've recently been searching for information approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I have discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure concerning the supply?|What i don't understood is actually how you are no longer really much more neatly-appreciated than you may be now. You're very intelligent.

April 17, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. top stock picks

I'll immediately clutch your rss feed as I can't to find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me realize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

April 17, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. kelsie

I see alot of ignorant comments. Fist off people need to realize he was only 25 when he died, so he had made some mistakes in his life but he wasn't a bad person and he was not a gangster, his death was NOT gang related. For people to say he deserved to get shot is disrespectful, he did not deserve to be murdered. Tupac was not only a rapper but an activist, he made people think he he spoke for people who came from similar backgrounds to him. He was exposing the flawed government and became a threat.

September 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. derp

After he got his ball shot off, shouldn't he have changed his name to "One Pac".

September 15, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. snoopy

Rip the king of hip hip.

September 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. J.T.

It's crazy how everybody hates. I don't understand how some people on are here and are reading this article if they don't like the guy. Don't hate, just move on. If you don't understand the music or the lifestyle don't worry about it. Go play angry birds or go read about Justin Bieber or something. It's that simple.

September 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. f

Is he still dead?

September 14, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  17. Mr. Myxylptlkx

SO MUCH TIME AND ENERGY SPENT OVER YET ANOTHER NIG-NOG TALK ARTIST WITH A HACKING GRUNT AND A BACKBEAT MESMERIZING OUR YOUTH SO THEY CAN HAVE ANOTHER SOLID-GOLD CIGARETTE LIGHTER IN THE BACK OF THAYS CADILLAC...

September 14, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mike Linski

Wow, 15 years later and I STILL DON'T CARE!

Pull your pants up and turn the music down you spear chuckers.

September 14, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. NotForYou

Just another dead piece of crap.

September 14, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. Bible Clown

People try to tell me he's alive, and I ask where the new music is then. I don't know much about rap but I know Tupac would not be silent this long . . .

September 14, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  21. Dieyoung

Tupac might be gone, but he will live on forever. J.Cole is not the next Pac... Z-Ro is the next Pac.

September 14, 2011 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  22. NobodySpecial

R.I.P. Tupac Shakur

You left a legacy that echoes today. But you leave many a fan who still keeps you in mind.

September 13, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. rachel

RIP tupac
    I appreciated his music..very real stuff...important to listen to today.......

September 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ralk

I have never heard of him.

September 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ruben

who cares??? Rest in Hell!!!!!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Wade

I'm a 53 year old white male and still think Tupac was a GREAT artist! The mans music made you think and showed a window into what minorities have to deal with every day. It's a shame that ignorant people have posted on here about what a thug he was... I saw a dynamic and talented young man that got cut down in the prime of his youth... Miss ya' Tupac!

September 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. SO WHAT

So what .. lame news

September 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jason

R.I.P N**A!

September 13, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. @ Crystal

People mock because they can. Taking "freedom of speech" to record-breaking lows... but hey... that's the society we live in. Boundaries were meant to be broken... as has been evidenced over the years. Look at how things were perceived in the 50s... compare it to now... so yeah...

September 13, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Giggles

TROLLS!!!! Talking Reckless Over Lines Losers Suck. however Tupac was one of the best rappers in his time that paved the way for others. Just keep in mind his children is old enough to review these comments. WWJD

September 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  31. itsamemario

@rocker go ahead n take nickleback with ya n play in heavy traffic..

September 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. itsamemario

rest in peace pac, the bay area will always remember you..

September 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  33. rex

I dont know him

September 13, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Rocker

No great loss. He should have taken another 5 million with him.

September 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. fernace

Pac& Biggie were poets who showed the world (mainly white, uninformed folk) how the ghetto is survivable, but never escapable! Neither will be forgotten & when you think of the death of 1 you automatically think of the other! They are tied in death as they were in life! Whoever killed them, were also tied together! Gang war, vendetta, whatever, they are gone yet will always speak of a common cause, if you listen to their lyrics!! Ps. Pac is obviously hangin' with Elvis, lol!!

September 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. erich2112x

Back when we had real rappers. Now the record industry shoves these artists down our throats that aren't even from the life.

September 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. esmiles

PAC was one of greatest hip hop artists in rap history. His personal life and how he lived his life had nothing to do with his music...Those of you commenting on this post in a negative fashion will never understand..those true lovers of hip hop will.

RIP PAC your music is truely missed.

September 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. bwells

RIP Pac...True Poet

September 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Tupac Lova

I miss Tupac, can't believe it sometimes that he is gone. He may not have lived a blemish free life but he taught us a thing or two about putting real life into music without it always being sleezy or dramatized. But one thing I have always said and will always stick to, I think Tupac and Biggie were killed by Puffy's crew!! He didn't like being in Biggie's shadow and made it look like it was beef between them and they caused eachothers death. Something to think about

September 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Craig from Pa.

Never missed him......

September 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Craig from Pa.

Good for you. I am not surprised and I don't blame you for not caring.

Having all those Garth Brooks CDs really narrows your horizons... maybe you should try exploring a bit.

September 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. R Kelly

After I got fru wif stuffing 2Pacs butthole I wut take a big ole smelly mall licka pee in his girly face. He lubbed it.

September 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  42. makizzle

stop judging his life. only God has that priviledge. all you haters so caught with his life worry about your own. you are either racist or just jealous or have not life at all. your life is consumed of making comments about somebody who more known than u get a life. RIP MAKAVELI

September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShytKizzle

Where FuudgePacker landed the only God is Satan and he basicaly doesnt care.

BURN 2PacR BURN!

September 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Attn: All Troll Haters

calling all of u idiots would be an insult to all stupid ppl. folk clap when they see u but they clap their hands over their eyes

September 13, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Retired Troll

Maybe the trolls are trolling me here... but I do get quite upset knowing that today's trolls are really garbage... material is so bland that even stale bread would be better.

For some half-witted comments, trolls today are doing okay... but damn, standards are mad low... please work on your material, trolls.

September 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. distant memory

I think it is silly that most of you are on here dogging each other. This article was meant to honor someones memory, be respectul of one another no matter what your personal opinion is! With that said, I think that Tupac was a very great talent, you can talk about his lifestyle all you want but that will never take away from his abilities as an artist and poet! Give the man some respect, especially in death! Always, remember to look in the mirror before you say something hurtful to someone else and imagine what others could say to you before you speak!

September 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • RIP Tupac

Good one, distant memory.

It's harder to hold your tongue when someone says something you don't agree with rather than lash out in response... a lot of human beings do that. It's not correct, but that's just how it is.

Trolls just prey on human emotion. As long as you're smug behind a computer, there really isn't anything you can do... just roll with the punches.

September 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • LumberJack

AHEM! I think you mean "just troll with the punches."

September 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Selfish Meme

Artist and poet?

Please.

September 14, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  45. Joe

Live like a thug, die like a thug. Simple as that.

September 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  46. @Evil Queen

you've got the perfect weapon against muggers hun..ur face. use it well

September 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  47. penny

Suge would put 2packer in a headlock between this buttCheeks then blast away with smelly onion, egg and horseraddish farts. 2packer love it and would afterwards kiss Suges bigBlackAss.

September 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ penny

Excrement talk doesn't get you many points... try again. I'm still waiting for a funny joke.

September 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Just 4 the record

Uhhh. *POOOOT* <-smell that one!

September 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  49. sam the hung pig

Lmao..look at u stupid ppl getting worked up over trolls. man what idiots

September 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ sam the hung pig

You need a more creative name that doesn't scream "dumb white boy."

September 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Evil Queen @ [lol]

If they only knew..lmao. old n ugly hag..not.

September 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • [lol]

I meant it for both you and the reply to you, actually.

I don't think people with heart problems would be on here... too much trolling for a heart to handle. You need thick skin or a sense of humor or the sense to just not care... or the ability to ignore stupid comments.

September 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Just 4 record

Trolls win bc idiots like u get p!issed off at their comments..lol..everythong is done just 2 annoy u ..from spelling.to.grammer. who's the idiot now. gettin mad over a troll on a blog..lmao

September 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Just 4 record

You can't determine anger through typed comments. Just saying...

I think doing "everythong" wouldn't annoy me... that would be pretty awesome.

September 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Takin a Deuce

Im sitting on the toilet pushing out many little tupacs.

September 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  53. R Kelly

I pee on that midget tupac.

September 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Evil Queen

No matter how old you are or get, there is always a kid in all of us. Stop being so uptight. I bet you have heart problems.

September 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Evil Queen

I bet you're an old hag who isn't desired by men.

Or you could be a drag queen.

September 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • [lol] (@ Evil Queen)

Lashing back at someone who is voicing his/her opinion? Really?

September 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. The Måd Råp3r

I miss the old days when a blog like this would have 300 replies, 1/2 of them at least humorously passable trolls. Man, y'all trolls fell off, can't thug like back in the day...

September 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  56. david

R.I.P. Pac

September 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  57. D$

Tupac helped get me laid. Therefore, Tupac is the man.

September 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Randa

15years.. WOW! I remember when I heard about his death. I was saddened by it. Tupac was a "thug" and he lived that life, It is what he knew unfortunately and could never break free completely. That was his "comfort" zone. and at the end of the day, that is what got him Killed.
    He was a tourtured soul with a god given talent and it's a shame that he is gone. We would have seen really big things from him. but He will live on through his music and I personaly appreciate what he left behind. I am not a Huge Rap fan but I do like alot of Tupac's music because of what he had to say in it. My favorite song to this day is still "Changes"
    RIP TUPAC~!

September 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  59. JR

Fatal Shooting??!! Pac ain't dead.... Just picked up his latest CD. His best jams in 5 years!!

September 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Simon and Buttfunkel

Suge Knight used 2packer as his own personal butt-plug.

September 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Josh

Please check out Tupac at Mcdonalds.. just do a google search. He's still alive and kickin it. awesome.

September 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simon Cowell

That made me chuckle a little. 7/10. Don't get used to it.

September 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  62. michaelfury

Why didn't this unsolved murder make the list, Time?

September 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  63. michaelfury

Why didn't this man's death make Time's list?

September 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  64. You Ar All Idiots

u r all idiots. i think u r more so an idiot bc u ppl come on here saying trolls r mean a u ppl r just as bad. such pigs. u all must live in barns and take baths in animal waste

September 13, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ You Ar All Idiots

You do realize that when you call people idiots it puts your comment under a microscope, right? Any mistake you make will pretty much make you look a lot more pathetic than the people you try to bash.

September 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve-O

Your rant would be more meaningful if you knew how to spell.

September 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annas still dead

Come back when you can type in English.

September 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

Please use words.

September 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  65. RIP Tupac

So far I'm not impressed.

September 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  66. WAR PIG

Pac was a hater and got the very life he so cherished.

September 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  67. @ Joe

Get used to these horrible comments... trolls these days are 13-15 year olds living with their mommy and daddy hiding behind a computer that's probably their dad's. Probably surfing the pr0n too because they can't get any. Bored out of their minds because schools and parents have spoiled their bratty little minds to the point where they are complacent and not responsive to any productive thought.

September 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • A local troll

Actually your wrong, use trolls (me at least) are sometimes older professionals who get a little levity from the daily grind by coming on-line and busting chops with people, no harm-no fowl. (udder dan ur poor hurt feelins)

September 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ A local troll

For an older professional, you sure have some poor spelling. Then again, I guess McDonalds has no problems hiring people of your caliber.

If you're an older professional and choose to come online to a forum to troll... it must mean that you never outgrew your childish ways and that your life must be a meaningless waste of oxygen... sad truth. There are other ways to get through the day... play angry birds, surf the net on your phone, etc... I'm not trying to be a guru, but honestly, trolling at "your age" is just plain sad.

September 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • @@ A Local Troll

And trolling a troll is so much more respectable...

September 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • litlboy

U r right @Joe, I'm 15, but the $100 I paid your mom last night for her services, really made me feel a lot older!!!

September 14, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  68. RIP Tupac

Waiting on the racists/trolls to start spamming this thread. Make your jokes/comments funny or don't make them at all.

September 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • RichG

RIP Too-Shot Shakur. Your music was shi++y and you couldn't act either.

September 14, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  69. KajinPL

1st. Gosh, I feel old. I was in junior high when this happened. Such a shame he couldn't leave that Thug Life alone. That's what happens.

September 13, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Annas still dead

@ Riding: tupac was a loser. Just like you!

September 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • frank

stupid THUGLIFE is an acronym he created. Has NOTHING to do with what you think it does. The Hate U Gave Little Infants F*** Everybody... do your research before you speak

September 13, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Annas still dead

And you are excrement that needs to be disposed of.

September 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casey Anthony is very pretty and was a good mother. I want to marry her!!

Thuglife = LOSERLIFE!!

AHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA....HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA...LMAO!!

September 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JCOLE

THE NEW PAC, J. COLE. COLEWORLD: The Sideline story 9/27/11 CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Selfish Meme

As its said, tried and true:

You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

September 14, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  70. try again

You can do better than that.

September 13, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Joe

He can't do better than that...he's a troll on an online chat forum.

September 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  72. joe

making fun of dead people? Check

Misspellings? Check

Tinges of racism? Check

I think you've got it all covered! Only a racist, not too bright insensitive idiot could not respect Tupac when you really get to know who he was. But, you're right...he was a black. You got him there. Moron.

September 13, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Simon Cowell

That was utterly horrendous, penny. Please stick to your day job.

5 out of 10 for effort... and I'm in a good mood today.

September 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Crystal

Best comment on here. How can you people sit there and mock a mans death?? All because you didn't listen to his music or because he was black? I am a 36 year old well educated white woman from a country town in Iowa and I loved Tupacs music and what he stood for...my children know who Tupac is and what he stood for as an artist. Also, if this article didn't interest you, why even read it or comment....losers...for real.

September 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  75. fignweton

there wasa noting about tupac deserving of anyone's respect. Live like a thug, die like a thug n datz de wae itiz brutha

September 14, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  76. KajinPL

Wow. Someone understands.

September 13, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  77. The Selfish Meme

Why?

Because he was a thug. And thugs are part of a criminal culture.

Its not because he was black. Worse actually because gangsta rap replaced R&B, Soul and Funk. It was a self-destructive genre that effed up popular so bad that you STILL see the effects on its new minstrelsy on kids today. Its like self oppressive culture.

I don't often say, its sad... but whats more sad than a thug dying by the sword the thug lived by is that YOUR KIDS KNOW who tupac is and what he stood for.

PLEASE say you are joking because there are SO many much more important people in history that were much more meaningful and positive. If youre not joking, you are an utter fool to the definition. Look it up.

I didn't read the article, but an opposing view has got to be stated.

You glorify, support criminal culture, don't go crying when that culture affects your life by association. I live in the inner city, I've seen it all, and it always plays out like that.

Gangsta rappers up until this day, still are glorified, remembered, and NOT ONE person speaks about the ills that brought to a mass culture and how it was like sound-crack destroying much of the African American community. Regardless of what they say, it IS WHAT IT IS.

So, carry on. All of you who glorify and admire... the thug ... life.

September 14, 2011 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  78. The Selfish Meme

That was in regard to Crystal's comment^

September 14, 2011 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  79. humtake

In a perfect world, you would be right. Unfortunately, we live in a world where even those "respectable" people in history have done their fair share of bad things. We live in a world where priests molest young boys and Presidents commit adultery. Those we are supposed to look up to because they are in "respectable" positions are sometimes the worst offenders. By your logic, we should stop glorifying the presidency of the United States because Presidents have done bad things throughout history.

September 14, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  80. The Måd Råp3r

We should stop glorifying the office of president, they have been nothing but criminal filthbags and human cancer as long as I've been alive.

September 14, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |