NBC bringing Walter Mosley's 'Easy Rawlins' to TV
September 13th, 2011

NBC bringing Walter Mosley's 'Easy Rawlins' to TV

Walter Mosley's private investigator Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins is moving from fiction to primetime.

According to Deadline, NBC is developing a project called "Easy Rawlins," based on Mosley's best-selling series.

The novels feature a self-taught black detective who finds himself solving crimes amidst the changing social landscape of Los Angeles from the '40s to the '60s, but NBC will narrow the show's focus to the latter decade. The character is one that moves easily between the segregated worlds of L.A.

The first novel in the series, "Devil in a Blue Dress," made it to the big screen in 1995 and starred Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle. Fans of Mosley's work will be happy to know that he's co-writing the television series with "Southland" exec producer Cheo Coker.

There's another iconic character rumored to be in the works as well. According to ComingSoon, French studio Gaumont is creating a television studio stateside, and one of the projects in the works would focus on Hannibal Lecter.

Details are few, but ComingSoon cites a press release that suggests the TV project would focus on the serial killer's early days, specifically when he goes "head-to-head" with FBI agent Will Graham.

Now it's time to play casting agent: Who could portray Easy? And would you want to see Hannibal Lecter on the small screen?

Filed under: Books • television

1. 萬用行動電源

Sullivan's piece seems to miss, whether deliberately or by accident the dual audience from the feedback, particularly comments via independent channels such as Tweets. The writer from the material becoming commented on, and their host publication if any, is one audience, but fellow readers are another audience. 萬用行動電源 http://www.powerbankhq.com

June 22, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ron covington

Jeffery Wright as Easy. Mos Def as Mouse. They were actually going to do those roles in an HBO adaptation of Cinammon Kiss a few years ago. Guess the project fell out of bed.

November 23, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. john jones

This would be great T.V. I have been a fan of Mr. Moslley's books for years . I always thought it would make a good show for the networks There hasn't been a good program with a black detective lead since the show "Hawk" on A.B.C. I hope they find the right Easy Rawlins for the part , cause peoople will be watching that closely. I hope the network dosn't give up on putting this on the air .

November 15, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. GUNTHER

BONEHEADS! Erik is right FRESH BLOOD!

October 18, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. dj plan

Chi Mcbride or delroy lindo as easy....terence howard or snoop dogg as mouse.

October 7, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Niya V

Easy played by Idris Elba, Terrence Howard (maybe),
    Mouse played by Mos Def (that would be great), T.I. (could pull it off too)
    However, word has it that they are looking for Mouse's character to be portrayed by a white actor.

I don't think that will work because Mouse is a stone-cold killer and if the subject matter is taking place during the civil rights era, it wouldn't be realistic. I would be interested to see how they would develop a white gangster type character that matriculates in the black community and gets away with killing several black characters during the civil rights movement...see, it just doesn't work.

October 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • john j

I agree that Idris Elba is the right choice for the role . He has the swagger for the role , but also can show tenderness , like Easy would show toward his chileren , and lady .

November 15, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. Marcy

I'd love to see Don Cheadle as Easy, even though he played Mouse in Devil in a Blue Dress. He's doing TV now, right? So... I'm not against the idea of Idris Ela, though. Please not Terrence Howard.

October 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Erik

This is the TIME FOR SOME NEW FRESH BLOOD! Get use to it, because I am coming for it!!!!

October 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sladewilson

Idris Elba as Easy would work. He's done with Luther for the time being. As for Mouse, that's the hard part. I actually like Larenz Tate for it but T.I. has the look. Hopefully maybe Mr. Mosley will have some say so in casting as well. One can hope...

October 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Erik

I would love to have the opportunity to take this role! http://www.erikmckay.com

October 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Greg

Michael Jai White,Tony Todd,Idris Elba,Terrence Howard as Eazy Rawlins

Larenz Tate as Mouse

September 30, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. mdchoc

NO, NO, NO to Terrence Howard!! He is NOT Easy Rawlins! Idris Elba would be perfect! As for Mouse, whoever is chosen would have to be good to compare to Don Cheadle's work in "Devil in a Blue Dress."

September 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Frank Silvera

I'm likin' Idris as EZ, as for Mouse...maybe DMX,, Micheal Williams (Omar) or Wood Harris (Avon) as Mouse

September 15, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RB

I've read several of Walter Mosley's books and loved each one. I'm a "white" female over 55 and I would watch Easy Rawlins and the other characters come to life on the screen. Usually when reading a book, you see the characters in your mind but sometimes when they cast the characters – the actors don't fit the character you've pictured them to be. For example, I was disappointed with Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles characters portrayed by Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander. I'm looking forward to watching James Patterson's character Alex Cross on TV – love me some Alex Cross.....

September 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Leafonthewind

We already have a fascinating serial killer on cable. His name is "Dexter." I don't think Hannibal the Cannibal would be nearly as much fun.

September 14, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Liz

It would be nice to give someone else a chance instead of always casting the same stars, but they probably need a big name to get viewers to watch. I am in love with Mosley's new character, Leonid McGill. Check this series out!

September 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jo

Even though I think this would be better suited for cable tv, I will definitely tune in. I have enjoyed the books! I like Mos Def as Mouse, not sure about Easy yet. Idris Elba is acting in "Luther" (I think it was picked up for a second season).

September 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. andy

i think Dick Cheney would be a perfect Hannibal lecter

September 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leafonthewind

Finally, somebody on here with a good sense of humor! However, if they plan to portray Lecter in his early days, Cheney is out. He's older than dirt.

September 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Bumba

Always saw Don Cheadle as mouse...Terence Howard as Easy- he has that world-weary thang going on to hit it off.

September 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • mw-maryland

I agree but switch the roles around. Don Cheadle played the hell out of Mouse in the movie but in the books Mouse was described as light-skinned. I love these books and I hope they don't ruin the characters on TV.

September 14, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. steve

Blair Underwood would be PERFECT FOR THE ROLE!!!

September 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

I like this Blair Underwood idea for Easy, but what about Mouse??? I've not seen anyone mention a good nominee..

October 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jay

Love, love Walter Mosely. Michael Ealy as Easy would be perfect. Hard to say who should play Mouse. Maybe a new up and coming Cat?

September 14, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  22. Detroit

Mos' Def as Mouse......Terrence as Easy. I can't wait!!

September 14, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  23. RB

BTW I will be watching for sure as the Easy Rawlins series is my favorite and I have always wondered why Hollywood has not jumped on this before now. Also hope they take the time to do it the justice it deserves.

September 14, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  24. RB

Agree with Mos Def as Mouse though I can also see Hill Harper in that role. Idris Elba as Easy possibly though the English accent tends to bleed through in some of his roles. Michael Ealy would be a good choice. Blair Underwood would be a good choice for an older Easy. Sorry but Terrence Howard is the same guy in any role he plays.

September 14, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  25. Rioliaden

Very well said, Craig!

September 14, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. Craig

I don't get it. People ask for more black shows on TV especially major networks. Here you go! Don't doom it to failure. Watch the freakin show!

September 14, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Evelyn

Well said, Craig!

September 14, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Angela

THANK YOU!!!!!

September 14, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • kake79

I don't want more "black shows" on tv. Then again, I don't want "white shows" or "Asian shows", either. I want good shows. And I'd like those shows to reflect the world I see around me. So, would I like to see more black actors in good shows? Yes.

September 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Palmer Walker

I can see Mos Def as Mouse...I'm up in the air over the Easy role...

September 14, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  28. Alan

I share the concerns it will flop, but on the chance that they get it right – and honor Mosley's vision – I'll tune in every night. Good luck to all involved

September 14, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  29. Deborah

Larenz Tate is available now that "Rescue Me" is done. He would make a great Easy. I like Danny Glover but he's too old.

September 14, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  30. Geoff

EPIC FAIL!
    I'll give it 6 episodes before its cancelled.

September 14, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. Debbie

I absolutely adore Easy, and I will definitely watch.

September 14, 2011 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  32. Arizona

Love this idea. All of Mosley's characters are great. It may not succeed but at least it isn't your typical moron TV show. Rescue Me found an audience and this will also.

September 13, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  33. cincyempiro

Although I love the books, this show would work best on a cable network. Easy is a real man with masculine proclivities and the network will make a sham out of great writing by Walter Mosley.

September 13, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Rusty

I'll tune in for Easy Rawlins. Just finished Cinnamon Kiss and enjoyed it. I don't understand the Hannibal Lecter thing. Sounds like nasty subject matter.

September 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  35. memstyle

I think Mos Def would be an interesting choice for Easy. Or maybe Common. Both musicians, yes, but both with acting chops and two guys I would like to see more of.

September 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

I like Common but if he is Easy, then I'm sure to tune out. He can't pull that off.

September 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • PrintHead

Great choices, but too young– esp. if the show is telescoped to the 1960s. Danny Glover? Like the two folks you propose, he'd keep the show politically honest. Or as much as network TV can be– got to admit the idea of this show on a risk-averse broadcast network makes me nervous.

September 14, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  36. Marcus

Terrance Howard as Easy, Katt williams as Mouse. Done.

September 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JaeB

Brilliant casting. Wow! I love it!

September 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • nb3

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Easy, T.I. (Clifford Joseph Harris, Jr) as mouse.

September 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Great choices! Im feeling nervous about some of my favorite books getting ruined like most books to movies do, but that would work, hopefully Mr. Mosley has creative control.

September 14, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Christina

Katt Williams as Mouse??? No way. He's not even close to a 'Mouse character...That's going to be some difficult casting though. I won't watch it if they don't cast good people.

October 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kare

Who ever said Terrence Howard as Easy, and Kat Williams as Mouse......Genius. I love these books, and rarely read a book twice, but Walter Mosley, and Sister Soulja. I'm so looking forward to this and hope it really happens.

December 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. mytchyb

How many different ways, in how many different languages can you spell FLOP IN THE MAKING??? Is this going to only be on BET network?

September 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

I have been waiting for them to do this for years now. I think it will be a great series. The article said NBC. What made you say BET I wonder?

September 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evelyn

Well, I know where you're coming from. BET indeed.

I think Idris Elba could pull off Easy Rawlins, but Terrence Howard is a good choice also.

September 14, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • sterling Jones

I'm loving it,but do a good job on a great book.This would be the best place to start showning new and upcoming Black actors.Just do a good job.

October 5, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |