Kournikova on 'Biggest Loser': I felt like a parent
September 13th, 2011

Kournikova on 'Biggest Loser': I felt like a parent

When Anna Kournikova was announced as the newest trainer for NBC's "The Biggest Loser" back in May, some scoffed at the choice.

Although critics may have viewed the move as NBC's attempt to boost ratings by hiring a woman not known for helping people get healthy, Kournikova dismisses those who question her selection.

"I've always been criticized for being too beautiful, but I must have done something right," Kournikova said. "People have these preconceived notions about me, but I don't mind."

The 30-year-old will get a chance to silence her critics when "The Biggest Loser" begins its 12th season on September 20.  Kournikova and fitness expert Dolvett Quince will join veteran trainer Bob Harper in guiding contestants through a journey of weight loss and healthy lifestyles.

Kournikova, who is also a certified trainer, says she will bring her years of knowledge from the tennis court to the "Biggest Loser" stage.

"When I was a competitive tennis player, I worked with the best nutritionists, coaches and sports psychologists.  I was always being told what to do, but now I tell people what to do. It brought me back to the discipline and organization I had when I was a player, and you need that discipline to live a better, healthier life."

But don't expect Kournikova to be a strict disciplinarian on the show.  She says the weight loss competition actually lets her be more than just a trainer.

"I felt like a parent to a number of children who wanted to lose weight and get healthy.  It was challenging, and it was new to all of us, but everyone realized that it wasn't rocket science.  It takes a lot of hard work, but they made it work."

For Kournikova, doing the show had more to do with helping people than being in the spotlight once again.

"I didn't want to do 'Biggest Loser' to be famous or be on a magazine cover, because I've already been through that," Kournikova noted. "I wanted to live and breathe exercise and nutrition.  I wanted to play a role in helping people change their lives for the better."

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. we don't care about mitt---pin head

thanx

May 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. drapes1

getting her s8xy ID threat going...drapes?

May 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brendan Dimitt

Hair typically grows all over the human body. Hair can become more visible during and after puberty and men tend to have thicker, more visible body hair than women. Both men and women have visible hair on the head, eyebrows, eyelashes, armpits, pubic region, arms, and legs; and men also have thicker hair on their face, abdomen, back and chest. Hair does not generally grow on the palms of the hands, the lips, certain areas of the genital structure, or the soles of the feet.[',

Check out all of the newest short article on our very own web site

May 13, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. datesandtimeslo

done 3, 454,245...good try.

November 28, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. charles?

34, 561, 982

November 28, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. Vanetta Hagens

Anna kournikova is very very pretty, she has those attractive legs. –

<a href="Most up to date write-up from our internet site

November 28, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. theme

Wonderful points altogether, you just won a new reader. What would you suggest in regards to your publish that you just made some days ago? Any positive?

May 17, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Daly

. but there is always btteer out there than what you usually see on Tv .. the world is a big place.. You know men usually prefer women with hourglass figure and nice legs.. Anna K. has nothing any closer to an hourglass figure her legs seem skinny and she has broad shoulders.. Real women are Sophia Loren, Brigitte Bardot, Veronika Zemanova, Adriana Lima and so on..

April 24, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dishwasher Soap for Hard Water

Normally I don't read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice article.

April 14, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. @PM

GOT AN EDUCATION????? please tell us where anna kournikova got an education? i dont think she even graduated high school and if so i would like to know also where did she get her college degree? LMFAO on her back like many have said here if shes running from thinking shes even attractive then she should be back in RUSSIA by now! please find out where she graduated high school and college and let us all know about this HO HO

September 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sarah

Anna Kournikova has never, to the best of my knowledge, been criticized for being "too beautiful". What people criticized her for was the fact that she was never one of the top tennis players in the world and yet she was one of the most famous – because she is good looking. Personally, I don't really get criticizing her or disliking her for that – I'm sure she would have liked to have been recognized more for her tennis ability given the amount of time and effort she must have put into it. It is kind of sad to realize that the world would rather reward beauty than talent, but she does have a little bit of both and either way you have to give her credit for that. Andy Roddick is her equivalent on the men's side and while his tennis career has been a little better than hers, he doesn't seem to draw as much negativity as she does. It's ironic because there are women out there (and I know some of them) who hate Anna Kournikova yet love Andy Roddick ("because he's so cute!!!") and they fail to see the hypocrisy in it. I think she is as qualified as anyone to be a trainer on the Biggest Loser – she was after all a professional athlete and she is a certified trainer. It's not like it takes a ton of brains or background to advise someone to eat better and exercise more.

September 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • prof trainer

Youre an idiot to say the least unless this is anna kournikova writing this she may know how to train and eat healthy that doesnt mean she is qualified as Jillian Micheals who has all her degrees in professional training and we are dealing with obese people who have mental issues as well as weight issues, where are anna kournikovas degrees in this matter? Shes nothing but a money hungry woman always was she even said it herself and she has some bad reputation out there for those who dont know her she known to be flat out on her back and i dont mean playing tennis but with many many many men and she is not a person i would want to help me in this situation she will probably be in the mirror for 3 hours getting ready putting on her tons of makeup before she hits the show shes an annoying waste of time and the show made a huge mistake taking her on i hope the people on the show get the real help they need! And i hope anna kournikova will get lost ASAP!

September 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • pm

Hey 'Prof trainer'...If The Biggest Loser asked you to work on their show, i guess you wouldn't take the job because it would make you a 'money grubber'?? In this era of professional athletes self destructing, blowing millions and comitting crimes, why would anyone take offense to a woman who has taken control of her life, got an education and is trying to help other people live a healthy lifestyle through fitness. For all the haters commenting about her looks...she is still beautiful and HELLO, that is what she has been running from her whole adult life. People only wanting to judge her on her looks when she obviously has much more to offer.

September 14, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lori

I didnt even know that was anna kournikova she changed so much and may i say not for the best she looks like a different person maybe she had alot of surgery she is 30 years old now.

September 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mr. Ed

K i confess! im the 1 that was trolling on every1 lately. not a d*mn thing u can do bout it...lmao

September 14, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. @ @ Evil Queen @ get a room

Do you even no who is who anymore h*? that goes for you 2 @get a room. .. you think its that person but really is not. lmao. what a bunch of clowns. You troll on each other & turn against one another. I was going under richard fore & nobody could figure the real or fake. bunch of a$$ez hatin ea other & being mean to one another & its not even the person you think it is. who is king now ?!!!!

September 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get a room

I never said I was the king of trolls. I made one other comment on this article (that Kournikova is a loser) and that's pretty much it.

September 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nonya Business

I'd plow that like there was no tomorrow...

September 14, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. jb2817

I could show her the best 5 minutes of my life

September 14, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
    • MARK WAL......

YOU BETTER GET MAKE HER GET TESTED FIRST AND I WOULD WEAR ABOUT 6 CONDOMS!

September 14, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • inyadreamsbuddy

ANNA WHAT NOT GIVE YO A SECOND OF HER LIFE.................UNLESS YOU ARE BILLIONAIRE, HANDSOME AND GOOD IN BED. OF COURSE, YOU CAN'T BE AMERICAN. SHE HATES AMERICANS.

September 14, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Evil Queen

@Get a room: God forbid you are nice for a change.

September 14, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Evil Queen the Obsessed

Stop obsessing over Get a room. If you feel the need to respond to every single post of his/hers, then you probably need to check yourself.

September 14, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  18. mike

wow she changed man shes a nasty looking roached chick now.

September 13, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. enriqueluvsBRAZIL

ANNA KOURNIKOVA IS BEAUTIFUL? ok maybe in her eyes LOL shes a stuck up arrogant money hungry HO old looking Russian hag and her so called hubby in reality is in love with another gorgeous babe he never got over just listen to his songs in EUPHORIA ????????? a bunch of Dumb as-s

September 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Karen Gordon

Anna is super condescending to say she felt like these participants were her children. And the whole beauty comment, whatever. Beauty is on the inside and she seems to be another poor choice as a host for this show.

September 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. truthhurtz

Anna critized for being too beautiful???????????????????? NEVER HEARD THAT ONE!!!!! Anna was critized for being more focused on her appearance, getting modelling work, not for being what she thinks she is "beautiful". Anna was always looking around, making she the camera and all the attention was on her. She is a show pony. Her mother encourage this. Anna was the family "cash cow". Now Alla Kournikova has had another child and turned him into a cash cow. I see a pattern here!lol.
    Looking at the above phot, I dont find you beautiful Anna. Sorry. You have lost it. Maria S is prettier and she can win tournaments.

September 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. realitybites

SO ANNA THNKS SHES "BEAUTIFUL""""????? THAT'S ALWAYS BEEN THE PROBLEM WITH ANNA. SHE THINKS SHE'S THE PRETTIEST AND THE BEST AND TOO ARROGANT TO LISTEN TO ADVICE. AS FOR BEING BEAUTIFUL? NO , I DON'T THINK SHE IS. HER FACE IS VERY AVERAGE NOW, IT ONCEWAS "CUT" OR "PRETTT" BUT NEVER "BEAUTIFUL". ANNA WAS FAMOUS FOR HER BODY NOT HER FACE. AS ANY RUSSIAN WILL TELL YOU "IN RUSSIA, ANNA IS JUST AN AVERAGE LOOKING GIRL, NOT PRETTY BY RUSSIAN STANDARDS. YOU'LL SEE A GITL SELLING FRUIT AT THE CORNER WHO LOOKS LIKE ANNA, SHES JUST AVERAGE LOOKING RUSSIAN GIRL".

September 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Antonio

If Russian girls look like this selling apples on the corner, then I think I should go to Russia!

September 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • pm

Hey CAPSLOCK...you don't have to yell to make your point. In America, we have many beautiful women too...many more than Mother Russia, but that is the point. She is trying to lose that lable of being beautiful but untalented. How many people on this site were in the top 10 in the world at anything in their lives? None, so quit hating.

September 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. AndieF

Why don't you just say your a really good tennis player instead of 'too beautiful' .... remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

September 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dslguy

Miss k i feel sorry a bit for you as your beauty has been more a curse than anything, it has helped you become famous and yet a target for the green/envy of you as it is something the haters can never become and just spew hate, your very beatiful indeed but i know your just a regular person wanting the same as most of us and thats to be happy, loved and just be with no real expectations, i wish the best for you knowing it has'nt been easy but never stop trying to be who/what you want and for goodness sake whtch out for users who don't really love you but what you have. Much love and good luck i'll be watching the show to see how ya do.

September 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. arch

What makes her a fitness expert? She tried to play tennis, but failed at it. Now they hire her for this stupid reality show. Did they hire her for her lack of knowledge on being a trainer or did they hire her for her looks? The whole thing is pretty stupid. All of these reality shows are worthless. Why do people watch them! Watching a bunch of overweight people get knocked down mentally and physically by a person that isn't as heavy proves what! Just because this girl had a trainer when she played tennis doesn't make her an expert on fitness. Once again we see a network hiring someone for looks and not quality! It will be a great day when all of these idiotic reality shows go off the airwaves! The sooner the better! Run some shows like Natl Geo types, where there is quality not stupidity!

September 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billy

"Just because this girl had a trainer when she played tennis doesn't make her an expert on fitness." The article clearly states that she is a certified trainer.

I don't disagree with you about stupid reality shows. I don't care for them either. but the fact is they are a show who wants to attract viewers and Anna K. is a visible celebrity that was a professional athlete. She seems like a natural fit for the show in my opinion.

September 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • pm

Hey Arch, What planet are you from? Anna may have not won a major but she was ranked in the TOP 10 IN THE WORLD in one of the most demanding professional sports around. Anna trained with the best trainers money could buy for years and is more fit than 99.999% people on the planet ...besides she is also a certified trainer (read the article). She can't help that the press turned her into a "tennis star" because of her looks, before she even played a full year on the tour. Don't be a hater, life is too short to be bitter about other's success.

September 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. brazilsux

WHO GIVE A CRAP

September 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Enrique Iglesias

I do, brazilsux. Go back to your pokemon and leave my on-and-off lover alone.

September 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. FIX IN TX

I don't think the show will be the same without Jillian. Anna, you have big shoes to fill. Maybe now, Bob can produce a winner.

September 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Trazey

She CAN'T be any worse than Jillian Michaels and her ridiculous pop psychology LOL trying to get them to cry and reveal their trauma to someone completley unqualified. If she'd stuck to screaming at people I could have tolerated her. Good luck Anna

September 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Get a room

She fits the mold perfectly... she's never won a single major in her entire career... biggest loser indeed.

September 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agnim

Her Slam doubles win(s) don't count? lol

September 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Realist

Really! She is actually a model who is an unbelievable tennis player. You are the loser. She makes tons more money than you, is way better looking, and would kick your butt on the court. Troll.

September 14, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Get a room (@ Realist)

Yes, because making money really means everything in this world. I made a point that has evidence to back it up, and you threw insults in response... maybe YOU are the "Biggest Loser" indeed.

Wake up, you tool.

Doubles doesn't count... you have a partner... and wasn't her partner Martina Hingis, the #1 at the time?

September 14, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • hey Realist... reality check

She's better than Tiger Woods and Britney Spears at tennis, so what's your point here?

Flawed argument from a sad, angry fool.

September 14, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • hey there..

She may just be a loser but her butt is definately a winner :p

September 14, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

accutually your wrong. Like everybody else. Kournikova acutally won 2 events on the ITF, which it seems to me was made to give new or lower rank players an oppurtunity to win and make money for smaller tournaments that only included 32 players on the wta and there were no other events during the week. These tournaments were mostly tier 3,4,5 events that count as wta wins. Hingis has plenty of these wta wins when she was younger. These wins are the same as those wins.

September 19, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  30. Athena

Going by her words, Kournikova is a good choice.

September 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Not impressed

unless it's portal

September 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamdi

I want to win the Lauren Moshi Happy Face tank because I am a HUGE fan of Lauren Moshi. Her desnigs inspire me to create my own desnigs. The Smiley tank is one of my favorite desnigs because it describes my personality as a happy go lucky kind of girl. I can see myself totally pulling off that tank with a cute blazer and a vintage bag. When wearing a Lauren Moshi shirt, I want to stand out and make others want to purchase her clothing.Her desnigs are SO unique and BLACKLABELBOUTIQUE is the best/my favorite website!!XOX

April 26, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. notcaseyanthony

make me the meat in an Anna and Jillian Michaels sammich.

September 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |