'Spartacus' star Andy Whitfield dead at 39
September 12th, 2011

'Spartacus' star Andy Whitfield dead at 39

"Spartacus" actor Andy Whitfield has died, CNN has confirmed. Fans of Starz Entertainment's original drama "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" know Whitfield as the titular gladiator.

According to the New York Times, the 39-year-old passed away on Sunday in Sydney, Australia from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Whitfield leaves behind his wife, Vashti, two children, and a sister.

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield,” said Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht in a statement.

“We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life," Albrecht continued. "Andy was an inspiration to all of us as he faced this very personal battle with courage, strength and grace. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time. He will live on in the hearts of his family, friends and fans.”

"Spartacus" creator Steven DeKnight shared his thoughts on Twitter, writing, "No words to express the depth of such a loss. You will be deeply missed, my brother."

Whitfield rose to stardom on the Starz series, but took what was intended to be a temporary hiatus following a check-up in March of 2010, the NYT reports. Starz ended up using a variety of actors for a prequel, "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena" as they waited for Whitfield to return, but he never became well enough to do so.

Australian actor Liam McIntyre was tapped to fill the lead for the second season. At the time, McIntyre commended Whitfield for his work on the show, and said that "everybody hurts that he's had to give up that role, myself included."

Whitfield's co-stars are chiming in with their condolences as well. In a statement on her fan site, "Spartacus" actress (and former "Xena" star) Lucy Lawless is quoted as saying that  "Obviously, Andy Whitfield left an indelible mark on all of us in the 'Spartacus' family."

"He was a gentle man who never said a bad word about anyone, a gifted photographer, engineer (no really!) and a brilliant actor," the statement said. "Andy's incandescent film presence made men want to be him and women want to marry him. Andy's two babies will always know that their Daddy cherished them and their mother, Vashti, above all things. How lucky we were to have him grace all our lives. Godspeed, Andy!"

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. richard

May is children live to see the glory of the lord

May 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Your a Bore---Colt is much more exciting --

April 15, 2013 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. ofertas ultima hora caribe

You can certainly see your expertise within the paintings you write. The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

April 15, 2013 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. Maylene Judith Scott

Truth Never made the list once....the other cable connection always seems too be there though....

March 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Colt never makes the list.....meow

March 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philamenyha

similar last name....

March 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. 6chuccepay

Data Center Firm Colt Expands Cloud treatments in Europe

This expansion into Europe can assist customers store and access data anytime, just about anyplace, While meeting the data protection criteria of their organization, Their small business, And the countries in which operate.

firm already offers private dedicated clouds for its customers as well as enterprise public cloud fitflop shoes. services with its VMware vCloud Datacenter service.

By extending Colt project cloud services from the UK into mainland Europe, Colt customers usually access local enterprise private cloud services from local data centers by the end of 2012.

This ensures that customers can choose to store their data in the country in which they operate to address the compliance, Taxation and IP challenges caused by the data privacy and contractual requirements concerning storing data in the cloud across Europe.

Colt customers are already using cloud services throughout Europe for projects such as test and sourcing for new services, Executing projects that can scale up and down rapidly without building large server platforms, And to build on the funding expenditure efficiencies already achieved through virtualization.

The program will also deliver the capacity for other managed IT services such as on demand high volume data storage, certainly reducing the cost and resources required for data analysis and disaster recovery.

Colt locally hosted cloud services allow customers to use only the storage services they require, Reducing the need for a dedicated server structure on standby in case of disaster.

Customers are very turning to cloud computing to help transform their business. there is however a growing recognition that cloud computing does not solve every problem, considered Carl Robertson, Chief traffic generation officer at Colt. Customers are really asking for is an information delivery platform, A means of work network, Data centres and IT service providers. They need flexibility and agility while keeping control of how and where information is delivered across the business. because of this, The CIO focuses on deriving business benefit from information rather than managing infrastructure. works a 21,748-Mile network in 39 major European cities with direct fiber cable connections into 18,000 constructs and 19 Colt data centers.

March 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Telli

My beau and I were just wondering what happened to Andy, now our hearts are heavy. I was praying for you to pull through. Our hearst and condolences goes out to your family and friends, you will always be missed. :'( <3

December 30, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. see more

I simply could not go away your website before suggesting that I really loved the usual info an individual supply on your visitors? Is gonna be back continuously in order to investigate cross-check new posts

September 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. microsoft royalty free images

Let's talk on this theme.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows13icons.

September 14, 2012 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. click here

I take pleasure in, cause I discovered exactly what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

September 2, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Images of the Prettiest jailbaits and youngest teens on the web.

Thanks for some other fantastic article. The place else may just anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect approach of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I'm on the search for such info.

August 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Poetry

It's really a great and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

August 25, 2012 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. custom wood windows

naturally like your web site but you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to inform the reality nevertheless I will definitely come again again.

August 19, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. affiliat marketing

Thank you for any other wonderful article. The place else may just anyone get that type of information in such an ideal approach of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I'm on the search for such information.

July 23, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  16. Terry(Varro)Peebles

Rest in peace brother, One day cancer will be eradicated, like you did Quintus! Love you man, you will be missed. The Varro in my name is in honor to who you were as an actor, but most importantly..a person =) RIP

May 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. julius

there is no one can duplicate andy in the role of spartacus he is the original spartacus goobye andy may you rest in peace with our lord jesus christ

April 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Master wedding planning,professional wedding planning,wedding planning,wedding planning guide,wedding planning tips

I simply couldn't leave your web site before suggesting that I extremely loved the usual information an individual provide for your visitors? Is going to be back incessantly in order to check out new posts

March 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Johnny Deep

this is really sad, i'm expecting him to still play his role on Season 3, not excited to watch it anymore.

March 29, 2012 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
  20. costy blinks

For me he is the best..

February 14, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mkmedia01

The show is the "best"! The role of Spartacus only comes around once in a life time, and an actor like Andy who was soo tailored and perfect for this role, he played the role with passion, and grace, Andy you will be missed, and I miss you. Rest In Peace, and brother we will meet in Heaven one day.

February 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Howard A Thompson

He is with all of us who have faith in Christ for he has been called for the greatest battle of all that is the one called ARMAGEDDON

January 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. dianne dunn

mrs. whitfield, I hope that the actor was as great a man as the movie betrayed him to be. I'm a wife, mother, and a grandmother much older than you but i loved the show and the man that played the part. HE will be missed my hope is that you and your family will be blessed in the future.

January 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. graysonr21

Andy's talent that he put into his character by far made it well worth watching the series Spartacus. I will continue to watch, but no man/actor will ever be able to replace the presence Andy Whitfield has brought to this series or the character Spartacus. Rest in Peace Andy and God bless you and your family! Andy Whitfield is Spartacus!!!

January 24, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jan Nicholls

He looks so like the Actor who starred in AVATAR, who is also Australian, I think. Never watched Spartacus, but he seems to have been a much loved man.

January 11, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Muhammad Usman khan

Infact this news is really shocking and mind losting that Andy is no more, i really dont explain my feeling, because i like him very much as an actor, as an Idle, as an hero. This time i did not believe about his death, in fact i really thinking that every body is jocking. if any body has his last snap then please send. me so i believe. i really in shock plz.
    Muhammad Usman Khan
    +92-3143070000
    Usman.se@gmail.com

January 4, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  27. MDA

I just found out about the passing of such a great man. My prayers go out to his family and friends and may you rest in peace.

December 4, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mahmud adebayo

Am not happy 4 hearing this our dear brother rest in peace.

September 26, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  29. Joe

Andy, you were a great man and a great human being. You touched the lives and souls of countless people all over the world as evidenced by all of the emails above that I just read. My condolences to his wife and children and to all of us who will miss him. I am terribly shocked and affected by his death as if he was my best friend. I can't explain it and tears are coming forth as I write this. I only wish that I could have met him but I bought the complete Spartacus series as soon as it was available although i can't bring myself to watch it yet.

September 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. emmanuel kyei

hmmmm...we will forever miss him as spaRctacus..may his soul rest in peace

September 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  31. donna gilliam

DEATH HAPPENS TO US ALL. THIS YOUNG MAN ANDY WHITFIELD LOSSING HIS BATTLE AND LEAVING BEHIND HIS WIFE AND 2 SMALL CHILDREN AND SEEMINGLY TO HAVE A PROMISING CAREER IS WHAT IS AFFECTING US ALL FOR THOSE WHOM REALLY DID NOT KNOW HIM. HE BROUGHT US ENTERTAINMENT IN "SPARTACUS" LIKE NO OTHER, FOR HE WAS PERFECT FOR THAT ROLE. HIS SOUL IS AT REST AND I KNOW THAT WE ALL WHOM HAVE
    BECAME FANS WISH HE WAS HERE INSTEAD OF THE HEAVENS. FOR WHATEVER REASON HIS TIME ON THIS EARTH
    WAS NOT LONGER, HIS MARK IS FOREVER LASTING. GOD BE WITH HIS WIFE AND KIDS THROUGH THIS DIFFICULT TIME AND HIS NOW NEW ROLE OF GUARDIAN ANGEL CONT TO KEEP WATCH OVER THEM.

MR ANDY WHITFIELD REST IN PEACE {R.I.P.} AND KNOW THAT ALL YOUR FANS ARE GOING TO FOREVER MISS YOU!

September 20, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  32. Anyaegbunam Kosiso

Your a real man Spartacus.

September 20, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  33. Classiebelle

I was shocked wen I heard of his death from a friend but I didn't want to believe it was true untill I checked nd found out it was really true! Although, I knew him on d screen but I'll forever miss him. Rest in peace Andy! My prayers goes to his family. Spartacus can't be the same without him!

September 16, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  34. jason

My heart felt condonlensces to Andy's family and friends. I know this is hard for everyone, but I know Andy is looking upon us all and wanting us to whats right. Bless you Andy, we'll all miss you teribly until we hoist another pint. ;)

September 14, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Samuel

His death touches me as though he was one of my own.i hope the wife can accept my codolence.

September 14, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Ryan Boussum

I cant believe this has happened deep sympathy sorry for your lost. Wife and two children that are left behind, Andy was a great actor and person one of a kind I do not and didn't never Know him personally but hearing his interviews you can just tell that he is and was a great person we all miss you (rip) Andy, you are my hero.

September 14, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  37. stanley

I felt so sad when had the great andy,is no longer with us,is to bad say goodbye,I wish u good staying in heaven,may the almighty jah strengthen your family....I will definitely miss you.I won't light a candle for you.if am been given the chance,I will born the holl forest for u..............

September 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Robert

Andy,

You brought real emotion, intensity and power to this show. I was so sad when i first heard of your illness. Far to young, and certainly to young to pass, and in your prime. I send good vibes to you and your family, you will be missed, but not forgotten.

September 14, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  39. Linda S. J., Amelia,Ohio

Our hearts goes out to his family and friends and his co-workers, he was well known and liked by all he touched! He was a fine actor as which he was a person I'm sure. He'll be greatly missed by all whom loved and cared for him, by Gods graces he'll suffer no more! R.I.P.

September 14, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  40. krs

Andy Whitfield was Spartacus and he will be missed. My condolences to his family. As far as I am concerned he stands with the immortal Kirk Douglas in the Spartacus pantheon.

September 13, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Alex Quiroga

Andy I wish you are in heaven my friend when I found out you were sick I felt like crap. You were great and when they decided to another series to buy time. I was hoping to see you again you are and will always be my top actor in a TV serie and I will see you in heaven.

September 13, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  42. lc dean

I'm a huge fan of Spartacus, Blood and Sand. Andy Whitfield you will be missed and hardly can you be replaced. My condolences to your family who truly love you most.

September 13, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Sparticus Fan

Truly stunned! Had no idea his cancer had progressed! Absolutely loved the show because of him. He was beautiful, talented and in great physical shape.... Was hoping and praying that he would beat this :(
    Rest in peace Andy. May your family be filled with solace & peace as they reflect on your life. You brought so much happiness to your fans as well as loved ones.

September 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  44. IxNay

he did not look well in the picture posted here. sad.

September 13, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  45. jorge

one of the best series i been seen in a while andy bring life to spartacus now he is going to be missed love to all is loved ones a big fan so cruel to die so young rip

September 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Alondra

I am so sad still that I can hardly speak. He was made for the role of Spartacus... there could be no other. I don't know if I can continue to see Spartacus with Liam...He will be a constant reminder of Andy's passing. I purchased the complete first season of Spartacus because of him. He was so special in his acting. He was so natural. He WAS Spartacus! I will miss him terribly. MY deepest heartfelt condolences to his family. I am jealous of his family for having had such an incredible man they enjoyed sharing their lives with...however so short...rest in peace gentle warrior...

September 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Yoli

I think we are all in a state of shock, he was so full of life and vigor. We were certain he would beat it. A decent person with a young family and a career that by watching that series we all knew he would go far. Shame. Hate cancer.

September 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. NG

Wake up call. So sad. Bypass the BS and enjoy life.. It's too short.

September 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  49. jdyblk

I am so saddened by Andy's death. I was diagnosed with NHL right before him in 2008. I was shocked to see his first round of treatments were so short. I went through 10 rounds of chemo before I went into remission. I still have to get pt scans and check-ups. It can always come back. You never know. But...when it comes back, it's more resistant to treatment. I was praying for him and Michael C Hall. Seeing them helped me in my battle...which continues. Godspeed to Andy and his wife and children. May you find peace and comfort in knowing that there are many of of us out here who truly repsect Andy and will always cherish his work.

September 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Drama

VIIIICTORRRYYYYYYYYYYY!

September 13, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  51. catherin

siento mucho la muerte de Andy actuaba buenisimo en las película
    tu fans numero 1 siempre estaras nuestro corazones toda tu fans siempre te vamos recordar como tu eres guerrero héroes y ballata que lucho por su familia esposa hijo hermanos y amigos amigas

September 13, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  52. Morgan Lefay

OMG I can't believe this happened. I loved watching him and for someone to die so young and I was looking forward to seeing him in many more roles. My thoughts and prayers goes out to his family and friends. I was and still am a big fan.

September 13, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  53. Ray Hopkins

They can recast him, but they can never replace him. Even if the show goes 6 or 7 seasons, he's the man that hit the homerun out of the park.

September 13, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  54. Megan

Too, too heartbreaking. He was practically just a baby-taken far too soon. It just isn't fair when people are taken this young. God Bless you, dear. And God Bless your family.

September 13, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  55. Krys G

I was devastated when I heard Andy Whitfield passed away because I thought he would definitely bounce back and beat this illness. There will never be another Spartacus like Andy...R.I.P.!!!

September 13, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  56. sasha

I am sad to hear he had passed on. I was hoping that he would be able to overcome it

September 13, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  57. LEE

If there is ever 1 actor I fell in love with, It's Andy........I remain your greatest fan.....wether in live or in death................Adios Gladiator.........The Bringer of Rain..................R.I.P

September 13, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  58. E

Why does the good die young, Great show on Starz R.I.P.

September 13, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  59. bundu

miss a gem, a very brave and hardworking man. the whole world will miss u ANDY.

September 13, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  60. uduak godwin

may his gentle soul rest in the bosom of the lord

September 13, 2011 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  61. patrick

Love from India Brother. I saw the news only after my work. It was too painful to hear the news. I was shocked to death. God Bless your Family. Love.

September 13, 2011 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  62. monjack

As I watched dis ACTION package wit immense excitement I cuidn't help d tears. Always dream it, act it & even very farmiliar wit his intelligent remarks. RIP my ANDY anyday, anytime

September 13, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  63. Bryant Hayre

Although I've never watched the show, it seems that he really devoted his energy into being a top-notch family man & a stupendous role model in his character. For that reason, I will continually "B" inspired in reaching out. Thanks Lucy Lawless~ I can't stop now for you I'll take a bow!;~0

September 13, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  64. akay

He was a great actor and although spatarcus was too bloody for me I continued watching it because of him. He will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family. RIP

September 13, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  65. anna conkin

My heart goes out to his family.andy was a brilliant actor may he rest in peace

September 13, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  66. JMW

I'm so terribly saddened, he was a brilliant actor...tuk thw role in Spatacus to a different level
    He wod be sorely missed...its devastating..if I'm feeling so sad how hez family n frends wod...I pray they find comfort in fond memories of our dear Andy
    May God comfort them...
    Andy, u were and will still be our dear warrior..
    I hope I can still watch spatacus as it wod never be the same. Andy captured that role perfectly..

RIP

September 13, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  67. Liis

Wayne, i know it is hard but we weren't made to fit in. Find a good bible. One you can understand and let God show you. You are unique as you are special made for a tremendous purpose. Pray tha God will how you yours. Take care brother. Liis

September 13, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  68. Liis

God took one of his special ones clearly. I rejoice that he is in heaven and we all will be there to be with all our loved ones through Jesus! God Bless his family. know that he is always with you. My condolences. Liis

September 13, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  69. Rose Jones

My heart goes out to his family and friends.God will take care of him,and his not hurting any more.R.I.P. may the angles watch over all that loved him.

September 13, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  70. wayne

Dear Andy, thanks for being my hero, you are true beauty in ur heart and soul, I cant stop crying girls, I am heart broken and needed a hero in a world where I dont fit in. I love u hero, ANDY WHITFIELD, just a gay boy. GOD PLEASE PUT HIM IN UR ARMS, ETERNAL LOVE WAYNE

September 13, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  71. Spartacusloyalist2010

I was devastated to hear the news...really gonna miss Andy as Spartacus...a graceful gladiator! May your soul rest in Peace...and condolence to the family!Our prayers and love from the Philippines are with you!

September 13, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  72. wayne

I love you Andy, love Wayne

September 13, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  73. jonathan davies

Wat a great lost!andy whitfield u're the best among the rest,so sad and painful to hear u are death.best know to me I believe death is evictable One evry man must leave dis sinful world,u've reached ur BuS stop may thy grant ur soul broda,Rest in peace.Adieu

September 13, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  74. mickey

I wonder if he is in elysium..

September 12, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. z

Who is Andy Whitfield? Never heard of him until today.

September 12, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  76. sandra

It’s an absolute shame i am deeply saddenes that Andy Whitfield’s passing..Condolences to the family. Rest in peace

September 12, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Raven

The Angels came for you today...
    They held out their hands and took you away...
    They replaced your shiled and sword with gold Angelic wings..
    Music was in the air as they all began to sing..
    Your eyes were blue as the deepest sea...
    Now they shine brightly within the galaxy...
    The tears fall from my eyes like the pouring rain...
    My heart cries inside from all of the pain...
    God called your name among the Angels holy band..
    With one gentle touch He reached out his hand...
    He took you into Heaven to become his new bright shining star...
    One that will guide us below to wherever you are...
    When we look into the starry skies at night...
    Yours will be the brightest shining light...
    We will see your bright smile and your beautifiul blue eyes..
    As they will be the one that lights up the darkened skies...
    You will be missed this is oh so true...
    One day we all will be together, standing next to you!
    So soar through the Heavens with your bright Angelic Wings...
    And listen to the bells on the church as they softly ring...
    With each bell that rings will be in memory of you..
    For we all here on earth will always miss and love you..
    Farewell my friend, the one and only Spartacus that will never fade away or die...
    I say goodbye with tearfilled eyes....
    May God take your hand and gently walk you through the other side...
    As he knows you are a hero, a fighter, one who has a lot of pride...

September 12, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Aldo

I will always remember Andy as a true life gladiator . A great actor, a great friend for all and most of all, a great husband and dad. Your talent and on screen charisma will be missed greatly.

September 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Denise Thomas

"Andy Whitfield", You was truly your own hero in this life... you have touched many lives when you did the movie "SPARTACUS"....you are so loved brother and you will truly be miss by all...R.I.P.....

September 12, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  80. BralenX

I will miss you Andy.

September 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Dewyac

R.I.P Andy. God bless!!!

September 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Maria b. Copacel

i 'm so verrry sorry for the passing of 1 of a kind Actor & Brilliant Star ANDY WHITFIELD, he was my hero,i loved him in SPARTACUS", a lot & i will always love,miss & thinking about him & I miss him dearly already. Lots LOVE af prayers to his loving wife,childrens,the rest of the family & cast members!!! SAFE JOURNEY & GOD SPEED,ANDY! you will not be forgoten! P.S. I jest got the news ,i can't bealive . R I P .

September 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  83. ZetaPrime

10 year olds are not supposed to die yet it happens every day from easily preventable/treated diseases and starvation, yet most don’t lift a finger to stop it. Each of us could save a life every day for less than the price of a happy meal, yet we lament the passing of an actor because he is handsome and famous. I have nothing against the man, but his death is not any more tragic than any of the others that happen daily.

September 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  84. xueen

RIP, Andy! You will be missed dearly.

September 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Mike

Goodnight my brother. The only good news to come out of this is the knowledge that your pain and suffering is over. Godspeed to you and we'll see you soon when its our turn to pass through the Light.

September 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Mr. N

I'm 39 and look nothing like Andy. Sure it was his job to workout and stay cut, inspirational nonetheless.

September 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  87. frederick d

sooooooooooooooo sad loved the movie and loved him even more (and i'm a guy) cant believe hes gone R.I.P

September 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  88. bman

he made quite an impression...he IS spartacus...and should not be replaced. the new guy should be spartacus's brother artacus...RIP my brother, job well done on Spartacus.

September 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Jupiters Co ck

My roommate got me into Spartacus... u were a grwat actor and will be missed!

September 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Fkitchen

May the Gods watch over his family now and may he be resting in joy along the Elysium fields

September 12, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Francine

I bought the series this past spring and my husband and I watches the entire thing over a 4 day period while I recovered from uterine cancer surgery. I find it so hard to believe that the brightness of his glorious eyes has been diminished. He was able to show so much emotion with that soul searching gaze. He brought so much to the screen and he will be missed greatly by his fans. I wish much luck to his loving family and I hope they realize how much comfort and entertainment that he brought to others.

September 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  92. cynthia lyons

So sorry of his passing please allow family time to grive

September 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Mike

;_;

September 12, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Phil

Sad news, Travel well

September 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Michael Parker

I was sad to hear of Andys passing,im a Big Spartacus fan & was hopin' he would back back for season 4 in 2012.He will surely be missed & forever be our "Spartacus.

September 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Jennifer D

A beautiful man, a beautiful life (though short). May you Rest In Peace, and may God give strength to your family.

September 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Trip

MORITURI SALUTEMUS!

September 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Aura Rosales

Andy's family is in my prayers. Im sorry for your loss he was a great actor and forever will be missed. He was not only talented but he was also a beautiful soul. Spartacus is one of my fav shows and i will forever watch it. May you rest in peace Andy Whitfield. I hope that his family has some peace in knwing that they are not alone and we all hve them in are prayers and are hearts. Wishing the best for all of you. <3<3<3<3 Andy will always watch over you as your guardian angel <3

September 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  99. David Buchanan

We all lost a great actor saturday. You always stole the show. Rest In Peace.

September 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  100. CAP

Sad that Andy Whitfield is gone. Even more sad because his death reminds me of my mother's death......same cancer, same age.

September 12, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Terri

Just heard the heart-wrenching news about Andy Whitfield (Spartacus), how I loved Andy and the role in played in the show, I couldn't wait for it to start again. God Bless Andy & his family, He will be sorely missed. A true gladiator in this world, he brought the story to life. Regrets to all his cast members.

September 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  102. mejazzbo

Wow! So sorry...

September 12, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  103. KC

I nevr watched Spartacus, but I know that he was quite popular. It seems that he was thought highly of–not only as an actor, but as a person. I hope his wife and children can take some consolation in knowing that he brightened many lives.

September 12, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Kat

It's an absolute shame i am deeply saddened by Andy Whitfield's passing it's a incredible shame when an absolutely & incredibly gorgeous man leaves this earth! Talented & fit! You will be missed Andy!! best spartacus ever!!

September 12, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Playjojo

So, how long have you been an actual idiot? How dare people mourn this womans death? Is that the feeble point you're trying to make? And because it was a show from the south (Which has nothing to do with her) you're throwing in teabaggers? Wow...just, wow.

September 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  106. AgrippaMT

Sad. He was a very fine actor.

September 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  107. GSR

Sorry to hear about the guy dying. But how can anyone be a "gifted" or "talented" actor if 5 year olds can do it? I don't get hit.

September 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  108. scranton

Truly sad. Condolences to the family.

September 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  109. habberdash

That's the good Hodgkin's right?

September 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  110. David from FL

Life is so fragile. This was a healthy and fit guy that got diagnosed with a horrible disease. Who would have thought 2 years ago that this man would be dead today? RIP.

September 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  111. The Truth

Godspeed Andy, you will be missed. Thank you fior the memories

September 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  112. mike hunt

isnt non-Hodgkin's lymphoma just lymphoma?

September 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • living with NHL

It is just lyphoma when you don't have it.
      It is diffrent when you do

September 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  113. JamesWinter

I am very sad about this loss. Rest in Peace Andy.

September 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Nasia

Though we've never met, you will be deeply missed. In fact, I miss you already. I'll remember you always, as a hero that I adored. :`)

September 12, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Darryl2755

Prayers for his Family. A good Actor who will be missed.

September 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Matthew Jandecka

Out of this fleeting mortal breath. Out of the valley and shadow of death. Into the light of the perfect way. Into the freedom of perfect day! Sleep in peace Andrew!

September 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Prince ade adedapo

R.I.P Andy, we will miss you. Spartacus u're my HERO

September 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  118. demetri

I am deeply saddened and shocked.

September 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Bucktooth

Loved him! That was talent!

September 12, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Abraham

R.I.P Andy

September 12, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Greg

A big R I P for the Andy man!

September 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  122. JKL

"the flame that burns half as long burns twice as bright"

September 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  123. tyrexden

I usually like to be sarcastic and cynical in these comments, but i feel for the guy and his family... I mean, dude was in tip-top shape, and it still got him. Very unfortunate. Shows how unfair life can be.

September 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Wanderer81

You battles are over...the crown is yours. Condolences.

September 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Living with NHL

I have N-H Lymphoma as well just before Andy did.
    I don’t understand why his treatment was so short, just a few months.
    My was 6 month, plus 2 years of Rituxan.
    This is just so sad. Way too soon
    They been telling me that non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is the best you can get now,
    Due to it so treatable now days

September 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Eric in Fed Way

Sad day indeed. Andy MADE Spartacus.. he was absolutely amazing. I remember watching the first couple episodes asking myself who in the heck this actor was. I wasn't much of a TV watcher, but he definitely made me tune in (and no, I'm not gay :P ) and I definitely became a fan.

RIP...

September 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  127. The Selfish Meme

I'm kind of waiting on any information as to HOW or WHAT caused his cancer?

I think men, even women can learn from these sudden tragedies.

September 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sabrina

I'm not trying to be cruel or anything, but my sister's friend died of the same thing except he was HIV positive. And his family refused to come out and state that fact. Friends and associates made educated guesses, but no one came out and said he died of HIV or tried to take this sad tradgedy as a means to educated others

September 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  128. mike jones

who? never heard of this dude.

September 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Shawn

A wonderful actor whose life was cut unfairly short you will be sorely missed.

September 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Dan

I'm deeply saddend to hear this news. I don't usually get hooked on episodic TV shows, but I watched every episode of Sparticus the first season – First time I used the DVR. I hoped he would pull through when I first heard he would not return to season 2 of Sparticus, due to this illness.

Jame's Dean, John -Eric Hexum (sp?) ... Perhaps it's true, the flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. May his soul live on, in his children, and comfort his loving wife. I'm going to go have a little cry now.

September 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  131. none

It reminds us that our time on this planet is limited. But for him, it seems that he used the little time he had wisely, having a wife and children and being remembered through his art by a lot of people. R.I.P.

September 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  132. twistintusa

may the gods grant you quick and safe passage across the Styx, you fought like a true gladiator in real life and even though you will be missed i shall always remember you as someone who brought history to life before my eyes. All hail Spartacus!

September 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  133. watchman5

Our condolences to his family and friends.

September 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Anonymous Fan

Andy we will miss you. My condolences to his family. It is so sad that he passed so young and he will not be able to see his children grow up. It is sad that bad things happen to good people all of the time. I enjoyed watching the behind the scenes on the Spartacus Blood and Sand DVDs.. and Andy seemed very good natured and very fun to work with. Spartacus was such a technological breakthrough series (on the small screen) and he was instrumental in bringing the character of Spartacus to life in a CGI world... He really was a perfect match for the role and made the series. RIP Andy... It is comforting to know that you had your beautiful family with you when you passed.

September 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  135. irem

My condolences to Andy Whitfield family...
    I'm truly sad about this... He was definitely a talented actor who was genuine in real life
    R.I.P

September 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Mario

We Jamaicans loved the show and would rush home on a Friday justto watch it. He made the rolse of Spartacus his. He'll surely be mossed

September 12, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  137. ruben

my condolences, Spartacus is a triumph production, and Andy brought so much to the program. Talented actor, and gifted human. A great loss . . . in the words of the arena games . . . for those about to die . . . we salute you . . . peace and honor andy . . .

September 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  138. steve

Only the good die young, RIP.

September 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Brooke

Spartacus quickly became one of my favorite shows, namely because he was just so damn genuine to watch on screen. An amazing actor, a beautiful soul gone entirely too soon. Thinking of you and your family always. Rest now sweety.

September 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  140. R.I.P ~ Andy

God saw that he was getting tired, and a cure was not to be, So he put his arms around him, And whispered, "Come to me." ~ With tearful eyes we watched him sleep, And saw him fade away; Although we loved him dearly, We could not make him stay. ~ A golden heart stopped beating, Loving hands were laid to rest; God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best. ~ R.I.P. Andy ~

September 12, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  141. emmanuel temiwumi

Presently I can`t still believe this shocking news

September 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Fred

My condolences to Andy's family and friends. He was an amazing actor but his mind and soul were even more powerful.

September 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Tj and Michelle

There are no words to express how deeply saddened we are to hear of this. We hoped he would recover from his battle. So much talent has been taken away from the world on this day. His achievements on Spartacus will be a lasting legacy no one should ever overcome. Spartacus forever. You were taken much too soon from this world.

September 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Woody

Gods' Speed, R.I.P.

September 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Kisa Kisa

How sad and tragic ...

September 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Marie

I am 66 year old grandmother who enjoyed his great acting, I loved it so much i brought the series after i saw the whole thing on STARS. Andy RIP I will miss seeing you in the movies

September 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  147. sparta85

One of the greats.. Will be missed.

September 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Ms Kira

He was SO BEAUTIFUL...... I watched every Spartacus... I used to think it was way over the top sometimes but I couldn't stop watching it..... Guilty!

September 12, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Eric

I guess this is the reason why the 2nd season was a prequel to the 1st. Sorry the hear this. The show was one of my favorites.

September 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Carlos

A big loss of a father husband actor
    A gentleman, he fought bravely againt an illness that attacks mostly young people
    My deepest sympathy to his sister , children and wife.

September 12, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Pamela

May he rest in perfect peace.My deepest condolences to his family.

September 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Rebecca

Oh my God!!! I can't believe it. I watched every Spartacus episode and loved his character so deeply. I was praying he would recover. I just can't believe it. I love you Andy. The Goddess holds you in her arms now. My heart goes out to your family.

September 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  153. BD

Spartacus will never be the same without Andy, no matter who they get to replace him!!!

September 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Edward

noooooooooooooooo! :(

September 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  155. peggy

I don't understand this. With all of the supposed advancement, people are dying this young! sorry man, sorry/ Rest peacefully forever.

September 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Bob

He was talented and didn't die of a drug overdose. Wow. That's a first in Hollow Wood.

September 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

No you moron, just the first that you'll admit, because everyone else is in your face telling you it's cancer. If you just read it was cancer, you'd poo-poo it, and say they were covering an overdose. People like you don't except natural early death, or flue deaths, etc, in famous people.

September 12, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Bob

I am so saddened to hear of Andy's passing. I hoped that he would recover and feel as if I have lost a friend. What a wonderful tribute to him as an actor, husband and father that so many have taken the time to express their sadness at his departure from this mortal coil. Rest in peace Andy, no more worries.
    "In another life, you and I might have been brothers . . ."

September 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Madeline Rodriguez

Heart breaking news....

Terrible loss. I am an adoring fan and feel terrible – just terrible about it.... : (

Condolences to his loved ones....

September 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Matt D, San Diego

He was an amazing actor, and Spartacus: Blood and Sand is one of the best shows on premium TV! I was holding out hope that he would recover, and it's very sad to learn that he has passed. I was very shocked to learn that he had died as the last I had heard was that his treatment was going well. It's definitely not going to be the same show without him.

September 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Oreoluwa

He defined the series with his performances. Wonderful actor in tune with his role and the era portrayed in the series. His performances inspired men and seduced women. A true performer whether clothed or not.. Sadly he was human and mortal as all of us. Goodnight dear sir. Sleep well .

September 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Dan Salazar`

Great Actor he made that series makes you think how short life is. He made the Spartacus series great and enjoyable.

Dan from Texas

September 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Kim

I am deeply saddened by the loss of Andy Whitfield. I had the plesure of meeting him and Shane Abbas (director) when their movie GABRIEL had just been released. They were at WonderCon in San Francisco, sitting in the back of the room in the dark while the Starship Troopers panel discussion was going on. I looked back and immedaitely made a beeline to tell them how much I had enjoyed thier movie. Andy was so gracious and kind. Truly humble and thankful for our enthusiastic response to the movie. I will always remember his beautiful smile and kind words to me. RIP.

September 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Jodey

Andy Whitfield was a talented and goregous actor. He will be missed.

September 12, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  164. idowu dare

YYY? Its so sading 2 hear d news.even though I don't realy watch d movie bt pple luv it. Great man die soon but bad man lives sha. Its a great lost ooo.RIP

September 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Norma Jean

We are so heartbroken over Andy's death. He was a wonderful person and too young to die. He was the best Spartacus and will be so missed. Our prayers go out to his family and friends. RIP, Andy. You will not be forgotten!

September 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  166. John

Blood and sand rocks, god of the arena sucks

September 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Don_J

@Matt Olien... actually they did... over the weekend.

September 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  168. susan

Will miss seeing him in Spartacus, I am glad I TiVo'd all episodes so I can watch it forever. My wishes are that his family get through this, celebrate his life and enjoy all the memories of him.

September 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  169. mike a

I am a huge fan of the original Spartacus film and the show. This is the only show I looked forward to for years. I don't know what the man was like to know in person, but he took a role and made it his own. I will honestly miss those performances and, for someone who never knew him, I honestly feel upset at his passing. It is strange, but I don't think I've felt this way since Stanley Kubrick died

September 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Raven

The Brightest Star that shines at night!!
    Will be yours, our guiding light!!
    God needed an Angel to soar through the skies on golden wings..
    He chose you to be the Angel to open people's heart and make them sing..
    You will be missed by those of us who loved you so very dear...
    No one knew that your end was so near...
    Rest in Peace, my friend, as now you are free from all of the pain..
    As tears fall from my eyes like the pouring rain..
    One day In Heaven, we shall see you again!!

September 12, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  171. mike

My condolences to the family. Andy was the greatest Spartacus ever! Will miss him if another season is done, don't know if the new actor will meet up with Andy's performance.

September 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Anonymous

They misplaced the quotes . . . should have read Spartacus 'star' Andy Whitfield. RIP dude, never good to see young people go.

September 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  173. jim taylor

Hey Buddy you know you will be missed but knowing you are in heaven is a blessing. God bless your family and take care of you.

September 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Lisa

Gone too soon. Andy may you rest in peace.

September 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  175. ANGEL

RIP... My condolences to his family; I know he will be truly missed....

September 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  176. ding bat80

what a sad story. RIP man! you will be dearly missed.

September 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  177. YAYSpartacus

I I thought Andy did a great job in this series and I never missed an episode. His work helped to make this one of my favorite TV series of all time. he will be missed and the new guy has a lot to aspire to.

September 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Dale

Very sad. I watched a few episodes of Spartacus. I frankly didn't care much for it, but I noted that Andy really seemed to be a very capable actor. I'm sure he would have gone far. And, of course, even more, a terrible loss for his family and friends.

September 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Kristin

It is always sad to see someone so young dies. For once, an actor dies of something other than an overdose.

September 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  180. John-Paul

I felt sick when I read this. I got a tight feeling in my stomach. I thought he was getting better....
    He was a fine actor and I offer his family my condolences.

September 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Jon Unruh

May the Gods have a throne set aside for Andy's arrival, a true Gladiator who fought cancer bravely, he will be missed and although I will watch the rise of Lucretia, I know it will not be the same without Andy!!! Thanks for your brilliant portrayal of a Gladiator!

September 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  182. History Buff 99

Enjoyed the show, and his protral of a real historical figure was a main reason, even if the show wasn't particulary accurate. I wish his family peace and hope . His acting will be missed.

September 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  183. the1calleddoc84

One of the best shows to hit to in a long time and I dont think they could have a better actor to play the role. The show will not be the same without him. May he rest in peace and may his family heal from the pain. RIP

September 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  184. FRANKLIN DURU

AM GONNA MISS HIM. RIP WHITFIELD, GOD BE WITH YOUR FAMILY.

September 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Catspells

Andy, your work on the show was incredible! I wish you peace and your family prosperity and revelation.

September 12, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  186. anevay

I will no longer be envious of the women who get to make out with Andy because the new guy although great, doesn't hold a candle to Andy. I didn't know him but I feel connected because of how much I loved the show, and the more I discovered about Andy as a person, the more I liked him as an actor. Why does the world have to suck....

September 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  187. MissAndyLikeCrazy

I literally burst into tears when i heard, hard to believe, hard to take. Cant believe I won't see him on anything again. Don't even know if i will watch Spartacus again, he literally made the show (not to take anything from the other actors, but he is the reason i tuned in each week). My prayers are with his family & friends.May he rest in peace. Love you Andy!!!

September 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Fixer2010

So sad. I had been praying for him – he was an exceptional actor and I loved every minute of him on Spartacus. There can be no replacement for him. Much love.

September 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  189. muhamed mboge

wow i dont belief it,may his soul rest in peace

September 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  190. MoeTheArab

R.I.P. May God Bless you're family in these times of hardship the show will not be the same without you.

September 12, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Ghost

I really can't believe this news.....Spartacus will never be the same without Andy....RIP...you will be greatly missed...

September 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Bryan Lofton

Great actor, I was hoping he'd pull through for the sequel. My condolences to the faimly.

September 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  193. franz

Very sorry to hear this. I was hoping he would recover. Spartacus was a good series and he was a very good actor. He seemed like a great person as well. Condolences to his family

September 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Vadim

Very sad

September 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  195. RIP.

This is sad news indeed. I did not know who this man was but I saw him last night on a TopGear rerun. It is amazing that a person of such kindness leaves the earth this early. I will always remember him as the guy who did not learn to driver until over 30.

September 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Andy

@gladys....stfu hag. No one said anything about HIV. Show some respect.

September 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  197. M Burt

WOW!!! I am stunned. I was waiting with excitement for the previews of the upcoming season with Andy in it. He is the true "Spartacus" They need to change the name of the show for the new guys sake. Peace and blessing to his wife and children.

September 12, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Heath

I just heard about this five minutes ago and was thoroughly shocked. Andy my thoughts were with you and devastated that you lost the battle with cancer. Everyone that watched your work truly could not wait to see the episode/movie that you would star in. Mrs. Whitfield thank you for sharing your husband with us, the fans. As Lucy Lawless said "Andy's incandescent film presence made men want to be him..." I was one of those men. I'm sorry he had to leave us so early. My condolences to Mrs. Whitfield and children. Rest in peace, Andy.

September 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  199. MFG

I thought that he was going to recover, just as Michael C. Hall from the series Dexter, as he had left the series for a while as well because of this same disease. Since I hadn't heard anything for a while, I thought that it was all under control. What a shock to read today that he has died. So, so sad – what a beautiful man with so much to live and give. Life is definitely not fair. My heart goes out to his family.

September 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  200. skee76

R.I.P. Andy...My heart goes out to your family :(.....much love

September 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  201. Giovanni

My brother I wish you the best journey in the next life unitl we see each other again...... May God be with you and your family....... I was waiting for you to beat this sickness but God took you instead I love the Spartacus in you, been a sword master myself I will miss a "Gladiator" I'll see you in the arena of God >>>.>>

September 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  202. ballaz126

Being eployed overseas was the time I was introduced to the Spartacus series. I feel in love witht he show and when it ended i caught myself craving more. Andy was by far the best person for that role and it saddens me to have to come in to work here in afghanistan and hear the tragic news. Andy Whitfield you will be greatly missed as your battle with cancer came to an end. My prayers go out to your family and co-workers who lost such a wonderful actor. May you R.I.P Andy

September 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Babak from LA

I was watching him in Avatar this weekend ... Sad news... Thank you for the entertaiment ...RIP brother. May your family find the strength they need to face tomorrow.

September 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Modmom2010

I'm so sorry to hear about his passing. I loved him in Spartacus. BTW he wasn't n Avatar, Sam Worthington another English-born Australian actor.

September 12, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Modmom2010

That should say: BTW he wasn't in Avatar, Sam Worthington another English-born Australian actor was.

September 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babak from LA

@Modmom2010: He was the main character in the weelchair .... I just looked it up to make sure... Either way .. Thanks for trying to educate .. Be well.

September 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

Well put. It's all just so sad.

September 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Z

I don't know where you checked your infos but you're wrong. Sam Worthington is the actor in Avatar, not Andy Whitfield.

September 12, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Kid

That was Sam Worthington, not Andy Whitfield.

September 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Cedar Rapids

Loved the show and thought he was great as Spartacus. The replacement has some pretty big sandals to fill.

September 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  205. jen

May he rest in peace.. I lost my father to this terrible disease last month...I knew nothing about it until my dad was diagnosed..they told us it was "very treatable" and got our hopes up.. the chemo makes you sicker than the disease itself. I hope the death of this great actor will bring more attention to the cause.

September 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  206. tina

September 12, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  207. Spendlove

Rest in peace Andy, you leave behind a wonderful family and a great career and you will be missed.

September 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  208. mark

A great actor to portray a great hero! One of the best series on TV ever!

September 12, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  209. Mrs. Bee

I literally burst into tears when I saw he had passed away and left behind a wife and two children. Such a loss of a great talent and apparently a good human being. Unfortunately trolls don't care about anything besides saying horrible things on any post to rile people up. Usually I just skip the comments because of how annoying it is. But this time I felt compelled to say, that my friends and I had wished the best for Andy Whitfield when we had heard of his illness. We loved watching him in Spartacus, and felt he had a great career ahead of him. But beyond that to know that he was a good man taken away from this life by an illness like Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma was truly heartbreaking. My condolences to his family and friends.

September 12, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  210. Harmony

It's very sad to hear that Andy is no more. My heart goes to his family, he was indeed a great actor. May his soul Rest in Perfect Peace, Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  211. donaldo

Death is something dat must be,it is a call from God ,r.i.p my hero

September 12, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  212. Ari159

RIP Andy. You'll be missed!

September 12, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  213. Nex

A great Man ! R.I.P.

September 12, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  214. denise

So sad. So young and handsome. I am sorry for his families loss.

September 12, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  215. salome

Brother it's so sad that you are gone. Rise if possible. Everyone will surely miss you.
    Good night brother.

September 12, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  216. bella693

Andy made the Spartacus role come alive, such an incredible actor you could feel the pain the sorrow, the happiness he portrayed. I agree with Lucy Lawless, "he was the kind of man that men wanted to be and women wanted to marry". 39 years old is way too young to die, but what we forget is the pain and suffering he no longer has to endure. Rest in Peace Andy and God bless you and your family. You will never be forgotten and will always be loved.

September 12, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  217. Ben

Man that sucks. I watched all the Spartacus Blood and Sand Behind the Scenes stuff and this guy was hilarious and seemed like a really great guy. Horrible that he had to die so young... but im sure if there is a heaven hes secured about 10,000 places in it. RIP.

September 12, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  218. G.Mack

He was one of my favorite actors. God rest his soul for he is no longer in pain.

September 12, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  219. Dan

Andy Whitfield is dead. My ex-wife lives. Proof there is no God.

September 12, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  220. nana

Sorry to hear the sad news. Love Spartacus and the fact that it has such a great cast of actors and talented people involved with it. I'm sure it will continue to be an excellent show. Andy was a wonderful spirited actor and his role will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends. All the best to the show and its cast.

September 12, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  221. Tha Chikin

Bummer... :(

September 12, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  222. Jeff

So sorry to read this. We knew he was sick but thought he was in remission. So sad, Andy RIP you will be mised! Prayers to you and your family.

September 12, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  223. FUKUCANCER

don't know the dude, but I wish his family the best.

September 12, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  224. CarmenSo

I was so sad to hear this new, RIP and my hearts and prayers are with his family

September 12, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  225. Ene

Spartacus gods of the arena.U left too soon.RIP Andy.

September 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  226. mxmiller1

This sucks. RIP Andy. YOU made Spartacus the awesome show that it was. I never missed a show.

September 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  227. Asterix

A true tragedy. He was a fine actor and I really enjoyed watching him in his role as Spartacus. I am especially saddened that he passed away at such a young age (39 years old). It is so ironic that the real life Spartacus was 38 when he died at the hands of the Romans.

September 12, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  228. ola

really missed him.may God grant him a peaceful rest and also forgive him of his sin and grant his family the strength to forget this untimely death

September 12, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  229. Babushka

I wasn't able to get into the Spartacus series, but even from the few I watched it was apparent that he was going to go far. He was a talented actor and, to hear his coworkers tell it, a great person. May his family heal quickly and find happiness.

September 12, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  230. nodule

Sad. Great show and he did a fantastic job on it.

September 12, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  231. Mojisola

May your soul rest in perfect peace. We love you but God loves you more. Gudnite

September 12, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  232. Phil

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE! THIS MAN IS MY HERO, REST IN PEACE ANDY WE ARE CRYING FOR YOU AND MISS YOU, WE WILL SEE YOU AGAIN< YOU ARE MISSED.

September 12, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  233. USAR SOLDIER

I can not believed he died. He was such a good actor and did very well in the role of Spartacus. So sad to see a man with such passion go down like he did.

September 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  234. lynda

Sorry to here of the passing of this young and great actor he will be missed by all.

September 12, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  235. Tammy Haugsby - Gonzales

You will always be in my thoughts and dreams an I will miss you! My thoughts are with your family at this time ! God bless you

September 12, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  236. Elyse

R.I.P. Andy. I hadn't even planned on tuning into Spartacus until I accidentally tripped over a 'making of' special with you sitting there talking about it, and instantly, I knew I had to check out the series, and became an instant fan of it. When I heard of your illness, I prayed that you'd be able to overcome the cancer, but it was not to be. My prayers go out to your family and friends in this dark time. Rest in peace, Andy. You will not be forgotten.

September 12, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  237. Nats

My heart goes out to his family, sorry for your loss.

September 12, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  238. ecstasy

Rest in peace brother!!!

September 12, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • gmualum08

AMEN! As his arch enemy in the series says "You have earned a glorious death and will die as a Gladiator!" I'm sure he fought gloriously against this cancer.. he will be missed tremendously, I boughtt he whole series on Blue Ray and still watch it a lot to this day, one of the best series I've ever seen. So sad, he is only 10 years older than I am, such a tragic loss for one so young and talented.

September 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  239. Lakitta

Im sadden by Andy's Dead I send Prayers to his Family and friends

September 12, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  240. Henry Walson

God of the Roman arena, may ur brave soul rest n rain at the right hand of Jesus.amen

September 12, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  241. Stoner Kola

If he was born in 1974, then he died at 37. NOT 39. RIP Andy.

September 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Kerry

Seems to be confusion, Wikipedia says 1974, TV guide says 1972, but various other sites say 74 as well. Can't find one that states without a doubt. Regardless, he was awesome, and he will be missed. r.i.p. Andy.

September 12, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  242. Mary Ann

Truly sad. I loved him in Spartacus. RIP Andy and blessed thoughts to his family and friends.

September 12, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  243. banna

hmmm! this has left a sour taste in ma mouth, Whitfield.. why so soon. it is true that great pple dnt last on earth. may his soul rest in perfect peace.

September 12, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  244. Ali Ahmad Janjua

Andy Whitfield was the most Normal Man....i ever watched on a TV series. No words can start to express how i feel right now.....R.I.P....Goodbye.

September 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  245. Juan

My condolence to his family he was a great actor I loved watching spartacus godspeed Andy

September 12, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  246. @8719Noc

I'm gonna miss him big time, he was great A̶̲̥̅̊₪D̶̲̥̅̊ awesome!!!
    Death why????
    What a̶̲̥̅̊ tragedy!!! RIP

September 12, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  247. Adeoye moshood

I dont no why good people dead and bad people live .....hmmmmmm spartacus, i love evrytin abt u do n u urself....gud 9it .......... R.I.P

September 12, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  248. Diane

It is sad for such a young person to die. My heart goes out to his family. I love the show and wish all the cast members well as they carry on without such a talented young man.

September 12, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  249. jdurand

Very saddened to learn of Andy's passing. In my view, he largely made Spartacus the show it is. My thoughts are with all his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Andy.

September 12, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  250. Adebowale

I feel so sad to hear this.He was so great in spartacus.Such an immense talent talent gone so soon.We'll all miss him.R.I.P bro.We all love u.

September 12, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  251. man

39 years old is so young. nature can be cruel.

September 12, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  252. @Todd in DC

September 12, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • mag

"@Todd in DC
      That was a stupid comment. Just say RIP if you have nothing to say instead of saying something so dumb. What world do you live in? You belong on true blood blog."

You sir, are the Hater. Todd was making the comment that 39 years old is too young to die. He is correct. You are the one with the Hater problem. You are the one that should go troll somewhere else.

September 12, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  253. bankole oladapo

A great loss and an unfillable void.

September 12, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  254. Kore Low

Such a tragedy. Hopefully they will find someone with almost as good acting as Andy had to replace him in the series "Spartacus", even though it won't be the same now. R.I.P.

September 12, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  255. todd in DC

39 year olds are not supposed to die.

September 12, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • ZetaPrime

10 year olds are not supposed to die yet it happens every day from easily preventable/treated diseases and starvation, yet most don’t lift a finger to do it. Each of us could save a life every day for less than the price of a happy meal, yet we lament the passing of an actor because he is handsome and famous. I have nothing against the man, but his death is not any more tragic than any of the others that happen daily.

September 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  256. emmanuel trevor

I miss him

September 12, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  257. that guy nupe

Damn! man I am so sad about this. He was a great actor. I love this show! R.I.P Sir...

September 12, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  258. EmeraldCity

39 is so young. Not fair. r-i-p

September 12, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  259. my heart is broken

You will truely be missed! I loved watching Spartacus because of Andy! I will continue to watch the show, but it wont be the same without him. My prayers for his family and this tragic time.

September 12, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  260. Anonymous

Give Liam a chance... Andy would have wanted that. I know Andy was an amazing actor and played spartacus so well but its either liam or no show....and i dont know about you but i love this show...

September 12, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  261. acey

We wl all miss hm

September 12, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  262. Dusty

Very sad. Great in Gabriel, and great in Spartacus. I believe he was 37 though.

September 12, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  263. M Ammouri

A terrible terrible thing for one so young. I have had cancer twice but was lucky by the grace of God to be a survivor. As Mary said I watched also because of Andy. I am very sad to hear of his passing. Yes his happy face will be missed by millions. My deep condolences to his family.

September 12, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  264. Vee

R.I.P. Andy Whitfield. You were truly a remarkable and beautiful individual!

September 12, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  265. Fan

I am saddened to hear about Andy Whitfield. The role he played in Spartacus made me a huge fan. It seems so tragic that he secured such a huge role only to be taken away from him by illness. But I realize that this role was only a small part of his life. His biggest accomplishments are his children. I hope they come to realize the man their father was and the joy he brought through his work. My prayers will go out to his family.

September 12, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  266. Fátima M. from Portugal

Undoubtedly the best series I've seen so far ... this talented young man turned out to be "Glorious" in this series. It is with great sadness that I receive the news of his death, it was shown to have immense talent. Andy are great. My feelings for the whole family.

September 12, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  267. Peggy

Awwwww =( I was hoping he would recover. Thats very sad. He will be one hard man to replace on Spartacus he was very talented. My condolences to his family.

September 12, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  268. Fan

Totally inappropriate.

September 12, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  269. LBW

What a shame. Such a handsome young man. Prayers to his family and friends.

September 12, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  270. logical

I loved him in Gabriel, and I loved him in Spartacus. I'm so sad that his wife and 2 young children had to lose him so soon. I hope that wherever he is, somehow he can still make his love and presence felt in some way.

September 12, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  271. Mary Gean

I am deeply saddened to hear about Andy...I NEVER missed an Episode of Spartacus BECAUSE of him!!! He was so thrilling to watch and Very Nice Looking, And from what they say He was beautiful inside too. I hope I can still watch Spartacus, but I know it will not be the same! I know I don't have the excitment for it like I did. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family! RIP!!

September 12, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Hank

Agreed! Very sadden. May Andy rest in peace.

September 12, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Ffej

If you have the opportunity to watch the DVD/Blue-ray extras on one of the Spartacus Series, you will see he seems to always be smiling and adding some humor to their days filming. He looked like he had a great charisma.

September 12, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Celimene

I'll miss you so much Andy... Repose en paix mon ami.

September 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeanne Sharff

Never missed an episode! My love a prayers go out to his wife and children... so sad :(

September 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • TarHeel

He was very good in Spartacus and brought life to the character. He will be hard to replace.

September 12, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sammo

Well said...RIP Andy!!

September 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Xerxes 2010

I was a Spartacus fan. I didn't have cable until I saw an episode of this at my friends house. I immediately called ot order cable just to watch this. If Spartacus could run for president, he's get my vote!

September 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Desiree

Well said but I am soo deeply hurt still. Something about his presence left a mark on me. =(

September 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheyrl

May you R.I.P. I feel in love with the show...because of you...it will not be the same without you. Prayers are with your family.

September 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jellomundo

This was sad to read. I don't have Starz and haven't seen this particular series, but I have seen him in other works and know he is good. I will seek out the series based upon his talent and the comments from so many others who loved it. R.I.P. Andy!

September 13, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • ella

Oh my God...i just can't believe he's gone...he had everything ..a loving family, many fans who loved him, a great talent as an actor...God...how could this happen?? we hope..or..we know that God gave him a great place in Heaven and he's watching us from above :( R.i.p!

September 13, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Sorry about the lost!! He will be deeply miss. RIP!!!

September 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • jason

My heart goes out to Andy's family and friends. Bless you Andy, we'll all hoist one together soon enough ;)

September 14, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck Gough

RIP Andy. Spartacus will not be the same.

September 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fannie

Oh my goodness! I just heard that Andy passed away. He was the reason why I was so Obsessive to purchase "Spartacus Blood and Sand". I am so hurt because he was such a perfect actor for that character. I hope the new actor can live up to his legacy. My condolences to his family, he really was a great actor.

September 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

I was so upset to hear this !!!!! I hate the new Spartacus !!!!! He doesnt play the part as good as he did. i am so sad to hear this and feel for his family he had to leave behind :(

February 2, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  272. adam

ian- this is not the place to discuss your condition.

September 12, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  273. Mirrorview

Let people RIP! Those of you that take pleasure in suffering and loss of 1 that did no harm to you or mankind will have no mercy from me or a good number of us. I will try to turn the other cheek but will slap the F–in cr*p out of you so you never will forget!

September 12, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  274. bella693

show some respect, a wonderful man just died. and maybe his family reads things like this to console themselves in their time of grieving.

September 12, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  275. Matt Olien

Hey CNN, obviously you need to have a story on the Spartacus Actor's death, but you have yet to have anything on Cliff Robertson who died over the weekend and actually won an Oscar. Doesn't Mr. Robertson warrant a story too? I would certainly think so.

September 12, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  276. Steve

Go away you jerk.

September 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  277. Phoebe

Shut up Kanye West.

R.I.P Andy. You were HOT.

September 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  278. Jhn

I'm not sure how, so this is a rhetorical question - could you be any less appropriate? Writing your complaints here on what amounts to a tribute page to Andy?

September 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  279. Linda

Matt.. they actually did have a story on him, it was on the main page right after his death

September 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  280. Ms Kira

Why don't you just go leave a comment on a page for Cliff Robertson? no one if forcing you to read this.
    Its 2011 and more people probably just know who Spartacus was so CNN covered the story that gets the most views....

September 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  281. Matt Olien

Linda, I must have missed it (Robertson obit). It certainly wasn't there Sunday morning, the day after he died, and I only heard about it Saturday night.

September 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  282. Weaver

Before using PayPal or your credit card...send an email asking for their home address as they stated they would give in the website. Ask for any other information and see if you get a reply. Then you can decide if this is a scam.

September 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |