'Curb' pits Larry David against... Michael J. Fox?
September 12th, 2011

'Curb' pits Larry David against... Michael J. Fox?

It's been quite a season for Larry David: getting divorced (and I gotta admit, I really miss Cheryl Hines); relocating to New York; getting into multiple fights with – and then saving the life of – Ricky Gervais; and infuriating Susie on a regular basis (some things never change).

Monday night's season finale saw him shushing his upstairs neighbor, Michael J. Fox, in a restaurant, after which he mistook (or did he?) a Parkinson's shake for Michael looking upset about being shushed.

Next thing you know, Larry was getting shaken up bottles of cola from Michael, and hearing stomping upstairs. Larry believed that Michael was messing with him, but Michael insisted it was Parkinson's.

The last straw took place at a fundraiser for Parkinson's, with Larry's innocent "playing the violin" hand motion getting misconstrued, and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg stepping up to demand that Larry leave town! (Don't you hate when that happens?)

It was all the usual trademark politically incorrect humor we expect from this show, but Larry's "outing" of his girlfriend's son, by giving him a sewing machine and declaring him "pre-gay," hit the mark even more than the Michael J. Fox plotline. But things really went horribly awry when her son became fascinated with Larry's Hitler sketches and gave Susie a swastika pillow sham.

However, my favorite scene of the episode was the final one, with Larry avoiding yet another fundraiser by moving to Paris (with Leon in tow, of course). The pair of them carrying on with their usual behavior overseas – Larry getting in an argument with a Frenchman about his parking – was a great coda to the season.

However, after eight seasons, I'm still not ready to say goodbye to this series. Just one more season, Larry – please?

What about you? Did you like the finale and the season as a whole? Do you hope to see more? Share your iReport or comment below.

1. gimpy mom

This show is brilliant! I hope it never ends.

September 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. marieee

Funniest show ever, Larry and Michael were great.

September 16, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. llanette

larry is hot

September 15, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mims

I, too, miss Cheryl. Loved this finale, but haven't been wild about this season.

September 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MGF

Larry David is hillarious and I hope that he continues to do what he does best. Hopefully, he might end up doing a season in France?? That would be priceless! Last night's episode, in my opinion, was stolen by that young "pre-gay" kid. The kid was amazing and it was hilarious! I much preferred that bit than the one with M.J. Fox – as it was too predictable. I too, miss Cheryl Hines, as I don't particularly like to see Larry in those romantic entangles.

September 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Skippy

Michael's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...

September 13, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Curbo

However gotta say i Loved MJF in that episode i still watch Back to the future trilogy with my daughter to this day. Was great to see the man once again. You the man MJF

September 12, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Curbo

Was a pretty funny season. Its hard to make a new season thats supposed to be funnier then some of the old episodes Nothing in my mind will ever beat the Wendy Wheelchair and denise handicapped episode. That was truly a masterpiece and one for the ages

September 12, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MC

As a Parkinson's patient and Curb fan, I say BRAVO to MJF and LD...Having sense of humor is my best coping mechanism for dealing with this disease. Once again for 30 minutes last night I forgot about my symptoms. Keep up the good work guys. No sacred cows = laughter, which really is the best medicine.

September 12, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cajr

this show is the only reason i keep hbo. years before it was oz, then the sopranos and after big love. and the truth is leon does bring a funnier aspect to the show. like last night when ld said with all this fine french cuisine, your eating taco bell and leon said believe me larry, if i could put mother f'in french toast in this i would. i was rollin.

September 12, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dukembe Motumbo

Larry David looks like Larry Fine. only Larry Fine was funny!

September 12, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. al

i'm clearly in the minority, but this season was terrible. it delved into the dumbest humor possible, which could make people who never saw the last seven seasons rave, but people who've followed the show from the beginning cringe. it wasn't funny. and yes, i do believe that cheryl hines needs to be on the show, as her character was a great 'straight man' to larry david's antics.

September 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lemuel

The show needs Cheryl. Without her it is all Larry, and Larry's obnoxious behavior. The stories were contrived and often borrowed from elsewhere. I quit watching Rosanne when John Goodman left, and should have quit watching CYE this season.

September 12, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joan Sinclair

Larry David has the funniest show on TV.....Last night's episode was hilarious.....Larry PLEASE RETURN WITH MORE EPISODES.....Don't stop now..PLEASE

September 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lean6

This was the first season that I watched Curb. Pretty funny stuff. Michael J Fox was a pro, playing the hand that he was dealt. You gotta have a sack to write a finale like that one in these tImes. Lol.

September 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Cuki

I thought this season was hilarious. I loved it being in New York. It seemed to have so many more situations to find humor. I loved the whole season. I don't miss Cheryl at all and I'm really starting to love Leon. He's a better Cheryl, for sure.

September 12, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Laura

I am a longtime fan of this show and I think this season was one of the best yet. Please keep them coming.

September 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Snarky

This show was funnier when it was called Seinfeld.

September 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |