Reese Witherspoon: I'm relieved I remarried
September 8th, 2011

Reese Witherspoon: I'm relieved I remarried

We've heard celebrity parents admit that raising kids isn't easy no matter what your day job is, and Reese Witherspoon is joining the chorus.

The actress, 35, married fellow actor Ryan Phillippe when she was 23. The couple had two kids, Ava (who turns 12 this month) and Deacon (now 7), but went on to file for divorce in 2006.

"I was hard on myself when I got divorced," Witherspoon says in the October issue of Marie Claire. "And until I got remarried, I don't think I realized how stressed I was."

Witherspoon tied the knot with Hollywood agent Jim Toth in March, and says their union has taken some of the pressure off parenting.

"I feel so much relief. I don't think I recognized how anxious I was about being a single parent. It was really, really stressful," she tells the magazine, adding that she thinks that applies to anyone parenting on their own.

"I think Nora Ephron says it in one of her books, 'You know, don't kid yourself, divorce is really hard on your children. It's really hard. Children will not be better for it."

However, the "Water for Elephants" star adds that she does think there are "extenuating circumstances."

"I'm sure everybody's life is different, so I shouldn't say that," she clarifies. "But it's really traumatic. Now I feel I a great sense of relief and an incredible amount of support from my husband."

Witherspoon has spoken about being smitten with Toth before - she gushed earlier this year about how lucky she felt to have him - and it turns out her marriage has also proved a nay-saying friend wrong.

"You know, somebody close to me once said, 'Oh, no man will ever accept your children.' And I just thought it was the most horrifying thing someone has ever said to me in my entire life," she said. "I was determined to find somebody who would make that not true. And I got lucky. I did. I got very lucky, and he's wonderful. And so wonderful with the children. I'm very blessed."

Read more when the October issue of Marie Claire arrives September 20.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Luisa

Posted on The great thing about a blog is that they are oazrniged in chronological order, your latest entry is displayed first, Myspace Layouts Quotes, %[, Sample Business Letter, jye, Long Hairstyles With Bangs, 156, Mother Of Bride Dresses, 8O, Overnight Summer Camp, %))), Louis B Mayer, =D, Plaza De La Catedral, 405986, Limitation Of Liability, lktwdq, King Of Prussia Mall, zdw, Searching For Bigfoot, 8-], Midwestern State University, 995375, Pakistan International Airline, 04125, Central Hardin High School, >:[[[, Pass The Plate, 400, Online Accounting System, zpmdb, The Hollow Man, tml, Brain Tumor Symptoms, bcblh, Poems For Free, iifpuy, Picasa Web Albums, xkgxf, California Earthquake Authority, hwc, Imagine Peace Tower, shcz, Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy, 8935, Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy, 468249, Free Streaming Online Movie, =((, The Palace Of Versailles, %-(((, Pokemon Pearl Diamond, 037111, Cell Phone Plans Cell Phone Plans, tuezza, Lake County College, sspsff, Sherman Oaks Hospital, dip, Michigan Great Lakes, 535, Union City Ohio, 654, Pet Photos With Santa, 38977, Toddler Games Online, 475390, World Kidney Day, %-[[[, Gentile Da Fabriano, 971, Quantum Cascade Laser, %-OO, Princeton University Library, xrjodi, Missouri Humane Society, 932, Point And Shoot Cameras, znpyyr, Maritime Coastguard Agency, =DDD, Free Download Norton Antivirus, %PPP, Invented The Internet, redg,

February 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sari

Nora Ephron is wrong. My parents divorced because my mom was a bi-polar drug addict, and my siblings and I are all better off for it.

September 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LoopsFroot

She's co-dependent.
    That's it in a nutshell.

September 16, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. malsings07

She's newly married and everything feels great but that wears off and your in a real relationship as a family. It sounds like she just didn't want to be alone to raise her kids; I hope she really loves this guy.

September 15, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. anonymouse100

I don't feel pity for someone that has it all, including the ability to buy support in the form of a man. I think she's lucky, but not that great otherwise. Her kids will still suffer, but she didn't think about that when she had them. She had to be a mom. And that must come first: Reese.

September 14, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. anesa

y r ppl being so mean? regardless of having money or not, raising kids alone is soo hard. sure u have money to give them wat they want but its not wat they need. having support in a spouse is priceless. every one needs to take some time for themselves and having a nanny doesnt make up for the loe of another parent. and where is their father in all this???

September 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Glen

Imagine a single parent plus Active duty in the AF for 13 years!! Tell me about stress...My oldest is now on High school and my youngest on her last year of middle school, so even when I love her movies, thats sort of a lame excuse for someone with the money and resources! Still God bless her!

September 11, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Eltrip

Hmmm... I gues a fish does need a bicycle....

September 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Roxy

I wonder if her chin is registered as a lethal weapon...

September 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Important Events at CNN

This just in:
    nothing is happening
    Over to you Ollie...

September 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Meh

Nobody cares about your kids. We just want to see more pics of you with your legs apart like the 2nd pic. For gosh sake...kids...who the F cares about your kids.
    If you were so desperate, I didnt see you knocking on my door asking for some bang bang to tide you over until your new sucker arrived to take you to the altar.

September 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chana

you guys are stupid as hell, stop hating that this woman moved on with her life, your lives must be miserable and no man wants you lol

September 9, 2011 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Rock

Im a man and Im very happy that no other man wants me – plus I get to keep banging Snookie. The fat jerk who wanted to hit her got her all riled up and she took it out on me that night. Quite a ride indeed.

September 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rita

She's seem naive and desperate for a man. Just wait, in a few months we'll hear that Toth has cheated on her too. They all do.

September 8, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock

Do you hate the man for the act or nature for giving the man the drive to perform the act?

September 9, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. its

Mary joyce or alecia

September 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. An Angel's Crime

@FAKE An Angel's Crime ~ lol..feel better after posting that?

September 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. uncle crimmas

Bet she dranks liquor straight from the bottle. Probly doesnt even share any with her kids.

September 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. lurlene

I agree with you Betty. I bet she eats doodoo. Smelly soft serve doodoo on an icecream cone.

September 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. An Angel's Crime

After seeing some of your comments, you must have drove your wife to it. I take back my kind words about you.

September 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. FIX IN TX

She's still in the honeymoon phase. She probably felt all these feelings with Ryan too. Let's see how long this Hollywood marriage lasts. For the sake of her kids, I hope it lasts at least 10 years. That way if it fails they will at least be old enough to understand. Not that age helps the pain of divorce be minimumalized any. That being said, I wish them the best of luck.

September 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Pliny

Where's traci?

We need to hear the same poop joke being told for the 10000000th time.

It's funny when you repeat yourself over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Almost as funny as that moron, portalpuke, and his 'firsty' fetish. Yeah...when your life's ambition is to be 'firsty', I think we all know that portalpotty will be doomed to a hairnet-job.

September 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • tracie

Pliny, he's a nice surprise for you, open wide........... Aaahh, a nice doo doo for you to choke on.

September 9, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  21. NOYB

You're an idiot, betty.

September 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  22. An Angel's Crime

I hope this time it works out for her. I'm sure it must be hard raising kids altogether, but, (for an average person like myself, if i had any, or Richard above) must be twice as hard especially if you are doing it alone. I'm sure is wasn't as hard with her because she is rich. Having money, i'm guessing, would make is so much easier.

September 8, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • slhrby

Divorce and raising kids alone is by no means easy, no matter if you are rich and famous or dirt poor. I have one of the most easy going 11 year old sons and the divorce is really starting to affect him. Certainly doesn't help that his dad is not there for him and it is just me. But, we make do with what little we have and I try and make it as easy as possible for my son. It is stressful, but you have to try and find ways to relieve the stress.

September 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • naysayer

I don't think the amount of money someone has, qualifies love. People have to work at love, and work at raising kids. We all have feelings, emotions, a soul . . . regardless of how much money is attached to our name. The sooner ya'll realize that money doesn't buy happiness the better!

September 8, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. betty

what a weak and pathetic woman, she gave birth to them, who told her it was easy!! She's dropped in my book. Sounds like you were so desperate and hardup that you needed to marry this guy or you just couldn't go on. Grow up.!
    If your need for assistance is what this marriage is based on...hope you signed a prenup.

September 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evel Knievel

I wish more women were like you, @Betty.

September 8, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • carrie

She is only human and has problems like everyone else, and you do not know how much she really makes, she has bills, rent and food and children to raise. It takes money and time to raise 2 kids in this time of crazy parents who let their kids run the streets at night.

September 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • jjfancypants

You're a bitter idiot, Betty. Parenting is difficult. I am relieved I get to take this walk with my husband. Why shouldn't she feel the same way with her husband? Never did I hear her say "I need this man in my life because I can't handle my kids." Take a chill pill.

September 20, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Richard Fore

she's rich, what does she have to worry about. try raising 3 kids on your own while trying to keep them from your meth head ex all on $35K yr.

September 8, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Wow, we have parallel lives!

September 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • OwesME20GRANDinBackSupport

Amen Brother!!! (Hulk Voice)

September 9, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • laurab68

Was he doing meth when you first met him? I raise my 2 kids on my own (dead beat dad) on 38K. Their clothes and shoes are bought from Walmart and Zellers. I buy groceries depending on whom has the best sales and only what is needed for meals and snacks for lunch bags. Luxuries like junk food are only if there is extra money at the end of grocery order. Nutrition comes first. My luxury is the internet & cable at home. Our entertainment is taking them to the park and just doing things with them.
      I wish I had the money to put them in sports, but it is what it is. They have a roof over their heads, good food in their mouth, clothes (as fashionable as I can afford), a car to drive them to school and back and thank goodness daycare is subsidised here but it's still $280.00/month for both of them at school daycare. So to say $ is tight is rediculous and sometimes I have to take part time weekend work for a little extra cash, so I know where you are coming from.

September 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I have always said, you can't be a single parent and be selfish... – it will humble one...

September 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • carrrie

She is human and everyday like YOU do. So get a reality check and come back to human race.

September 11, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • hen

I hear your violin playing in the background..

September 12, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |