New 'Beetlejuice' movie coming our way
September 8th, 2011

New 'Beetlejuice' movie coming our way

Hollywood is reviving “Beetlejuice," reports Deadline, but don’t call it a remake.

Producer David Katzenberg and writer Seth Grahame-Smith plan to make a sequel to Tim Burton's 1988 hit through their newly formed KatzSmith Productions.

The duo reportedly plans to continue the original “Beetlejuice” storyline as one of their first projects.

Michael Keaton starred in the original as a depraved ghost hired by a recently deceased couple to scare new owners out of their house. The quirky dark comedy also starred Alec Baldwin, Catherine O’Hara, Winona Ryder and Geena Davis.

“We want to make big movies based on big ideas and inspired by the comedies we grew up loving,” Grahame-Smith, who wrote the bestselling novels “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” and “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter,” told Deadline. A “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” movie is slated to hit theaters in June 2012.

Producer/writer/director Katzenberg (son of DreamWorks head honcho Jeffrey Katzenberg) created the MTV series “The Hard Times of RJ Berger,” among his other credits.

Do you want to see “Beetlejuice 2”?

1. Marissa

I would LOVE to see a 2nd Beetlejuice!!! That'd be WONDERFUL! I just love Michael Keaton.. I've seen almost every movie he's been in & I love them all, I'm a big fan of his!!! Beetlejuice was 1 of my favorites with him & I still love it now!! Batman is my 2nd favorite of his. It's be even more amazing if they had the same people play in it too. I think they should definitely come out with a part 2!!! I'd LOVE to see that happen!!!!!! Love Michael Keaton!!!! =)

November 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. M.J.

YAAAAAAAY!!!!! brilliant!!! Can't wait, It will be awesome!!! Been waiting for years.

June 25, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Day

I feel like this is a bad idea : /

November 3, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ted

Only with original cast

October 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

If Michael Keaton plays juice im defiantly interested in seeing it. I almost never go to the movies, but as long as they stick to the formula they used last time it should be good.

October 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Russell

Yes, but only if all the orginal cast and director are involved. I love that movie!!

October 4, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Nighthhaaawwk

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! How about some of you overpaid writers and producers coming up with something......(wait for it!)...
    ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!

October 4, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Anonymoose

Maybe if it was like the cartoon and more about the Netherworld. But it has to be Keaton, and it has to be stop-motion.

October 2, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mike R

Here's an original idea... Beatlejuice, the Prequel. Before Keaton becomes the juice, he is haunted by johnny depp and the actress that is married to tim burton. special appearance by paul rubens who played pee wee

October 1, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Day

In all seriousness, a prequel would be awesome. It'd be interesting to see just how BJ lived/died and how he gained a partnership, then screwed it up. Also where his name came from, if it's his actual name.

November 3, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. spambrando

Sylvia Sidney, the woman who played Juno, the "throat-smoking" caseworker Robert Goulet, who played Maxie Dean and the over-the-top Glenn Shadix, who portrayed Family friend Otho has all passed away. Otherwise, bring on Part 2, with the rest of the original cast. Or, don't bother.

September 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dammit

It doesn't matter who is in the re-make...the fact is that there is no reason to continue re-making movies that were great the first time. Didn't anyone learn from Psycho! The second version was a pathetic attempt.

September 28, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. SmartPotato

Oh for DOG'S SAKE. LEAVE THE '80S ALONE.

Why isn't Tim Burton jumping up and down about this? SAVE US, TIM!

September 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 2011 Hollywood CEO

You guys are all wrong. First off, it will be an exact remake of the original but with a current cast. Adam Sandler will be Beetlejuice, Beyonce will take Winona's role, um who else is really hot this week? Oh yeah, Snooki will play a wacky new character that's Beyonce's best friend. The roles of Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin will go to Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber.

September 24, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Amalia

I guess they decided to turn up the juice and see what shakes loose.

September 23, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ranzabar

Why????

September 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Denman25

too bad heath is dead... he could've just played the joker all over again and called it beetlejuice 2.

September 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Joe

Charlie Sheen or GTFO.

September 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jmikulas

What happened to coming up with new ideas instead of rehashing old ones. Come up with your own concept. Only chance I see this on rental is if Michael Keaton is in it.

September 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. aler

mmm... anybody can direct a movie about beetlejuice like tim burton!!! I THINK THAT HE SHOULD BE THE DIRECTOR AGAIN!!

September 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Benzuda

Ok, what's next? Ferris Bueller's FMLA leave?, Spartacus, The Next Generation? The Passion of the Christ, Zombie Jesus' Revenge?

September 19, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. DP

I love Shannon's idea of Beetlejuice vs. Gremlins. Gave me a thought...What about a follow up to Fast Times at Ridgemont High? It can be setup to portray the actors in their lives 30 years later. Sean Penn can be a Senator, Phoebe Cates will have 20 kids, and Judge Reinhold will still be managing the fast food place.

September 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. FauxNews

Someone should do a movie about Hollywood having an original idea...naaaah, too far out to believe.

September 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Elvis

Y'know WHY the original Beetlejuice is such a personal fave among so many? IT WAS ORIGINAL!!!! For the sake of everyone with a brain, Hollywood – TAKE SOME CHANCES ON N E W S T U F F !!!!!!

September 16, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Elizabeth

This is terrible. :c If Danny Elfman isn't composing for this then I will not enjoy it. If Tim Burton doesn't direct it I'll hate it. If Michael Keaton doesn't play Beetlejuice, then I'm not watching it.

September 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  25. PhilG.

All of the main actors in the original movie were caught together at critical times in all of their acting careers and lives.

That combined young life energy fed into the first movie.

The Original Beetlejuice was a riot.

I hope no one from the original cast is used and the people that replace the original actors make their own spin on the characters.

You cannot reenergize the original feel of the first movie.

It was magic and special.

To try too is to just run the original into the ground.

Go new,with respect for the original but use actors the same age as the originals when they made the first movie.

They should have done a sequel a year and a half after the first -not decades later.

September 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SmartPotato

THANK YOU for this post. I am fed up with Hollyweird. WRITE YOUR OWN STUFF, PEOPLE.

September 26, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. KajinPL

If they are going to do this it better be Jim Carrey, which I highly doubt.

September 13, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Argle Bargle

Once was enough. Let the characters rest in peace.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  28. Thabang Nkunyane

Its old time favourite,they should most def do a another one with same cast.

September 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kisa Kisa

oh wow, really?? After all of these years...

September 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Justin.S

Instead of this they should do a Goonies 2 that fans will love and wanted.

September 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  31. random

i'm down for bj2.. as long as michael keaton, winona ryder, geena davis, catherine o'hara and alec baldwin are signed on!! oh and tim burton/danny elfman are involved in some way..... all that or GTFO!!!1

September 10, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Expensive Pizza

Dear God, NO. The original film was a perfect confluence of the right cast with the right script (and anyone who's read the early drafts of Beetlejuice online knows just how bad the film could have been). Even with Keaton, who I agree is the only person who should or could play Beetlejuice, you can't capture the magic and uniqueness of the original which old fans like me love, while trying to charm new viewers without disappointing everyone. I've seen this attempted on too make sequels, and the result is godawful. Quite obviously, the motivation is to make money off the Beej franchise, so instead of a sequel to the movie, do fans a favor and instead release Beetlejuice: The Animated Series on DVD.

September 10, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  33. Kit

Yes, we wanted to see a sequel to "Beetlejuice" – 20 years ago.

(And Keaton owned that movie. Great cast, clever, right amount of growing-up sentiment, and lots of fun.)

September 10, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  34. jan

hellllooooo! lets keep original cast! im not watching the movie if thats not the case.

September 10, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  35. Dan

I have been waiting for a sequel for SO LONG!!! I hope it will match the quirkiness as the original movie. Yes, Michael Keaton is the best for his role.

September 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  36. AJ

A better move would be making a sequel to Demon Knight, the story featuring Jada Pinkett. Not the dumb story that followed it.

September 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Captain Slapaho

Other sequels that I think would be great:
    Gone With The Wind II: Look What the Wind Blew In
    Out Of Africa II: Back To Africa
    Casablanca II
    Even Faster Times at Ridgemont High

September 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  38. V in Chicago

Only if Michael Keaton is Beetlejuice. Seeing anyone else in that role would be a disappointment and I don't think I would "pay" to see it. When I first heard about a remake, my first response was "I hope Michael Keaton is in it or it won't be worth seeing". The original itself was not a "great" movie, but Keaton's role was awesome and no one else could fill those shoes.

September 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. RobbeeBobbee

Don't make it without Michael Keaton. He is the ghost with the most!

September 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. meko

I will only go see it if micheal keaton is playing beetlejuice..No one can do a better beetlejuic

September 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Tatiana

I love the original and I always will. I will give this new one a chance, why not? If it sucks it's not going to "ruin" the origianl one for me. It's not a big deal to me. If you're so against it then don't go watch it!

September 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Shannon Nutt

"Beetlejuice Vs. Gremlins"

Why ripoff one old Warners movie when you can ripoff two?

September 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  43. KajinPL

This just makes it official. All movies are going remade from the past 20 years.

September 9, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  44. cyndy

only Michael!!! where has he been? he needs to be in more movies or tv – love him!

September 9, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  45. chana

i agree that the old cast should def do the new one, just hope its a good one...mmm we shall see

September 9, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  46. Andy

Michael Keaton IS Beatlejuice! No imitations will be accepted!

September 8, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Richard

YES YES YES !! I Would love to see another Beetle Juice Movie, but Michael Keaton Has to Play the part or it want work.
    Richard Parnell Exec.Producer of the GTN Network.

September 8, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Cat

Hmm, we have no original ideas, and wrote a book ripping off a Jane Austen book, I know, let's recycle hit movies that most young people don't know because they were born after it came out and we'll have a hit!

September 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  49. tracie

Me TOO ! Adam Sandler would be perfect ! Plus he really is a joo.

September 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  50. pinto

I would like to see Adam Sandler in the role.

September 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Stephen

Get those Oscar speeches ready, KatzSmith Productions! Beetlejuice 2 is gonna sweep the Academy Awards!!!

September 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Pliny

I think Traci would make a good Beetlejuice.

But only if Beetlejuice tells the same 'poop' joke 1000000000 times, and still works under the infantile delusion that it's funny.

September 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Denephew

Mike Meyers or Eddie Murphy would make great beetlejuces.

September 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Call Sign Sarin

Mike Meyers ISN'T funny

September 8, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gerky

No they wouldn't.

September 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

Mike Meyers was funny for about 1 year in the late eighties. You need to update your sense of humor

September 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • mcdesign

That's "BeetleJeece" as the plural

September 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • happytam

Ugh! If you're going to start a list of unfunny actors who hollywood is tryng to convince us are funny why don't you just add Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and Ben Stiller to your list.

September 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Huginkyss

It has to be Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice. I would hate to see someone recreate the character or even worse do a bad impression of him.

September 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jupiter

WHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYY?????? Please stop making these remakes they aren't good. Dont seem to be big box office hits and totally ruin the credibility of Hollywood to be at the creative forefront of movie making world wide. I'm bored with you Hollywood be creative!

September 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Absolutely! Why do these Hollywood types always screw with perfection – money, that's why. Leave Beetlejuice alone. Damn aren't any of these guys creative? Come up with something new, clever and inventive.

September 9, 2011 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  56. jo

this is THE WORST IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD – when will Hollywood learn to leave well enough alone and stop ruining our childhood films....Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull, anyone?

September 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really??

Worst idea ever? Really? What if I proposed you stick your hand in a running blender and then throw some salt on it afterwards. Because THAT is a pretty bad idea.

Stop being such drama queens. Everyone wants to be a martyr for every movie they have ever seen that is being remade.

September 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  57. KajinPL

"We've come for you daughter Chuck. WaaaaaaaaHahahaha". Why would you want to destroy this?

September 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  58. just wondering

Jimbo is timbo still grounded ? I hope they don't mess up this movie, the first one was good.

September 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Superhiro

Even if they somehow got Keaton back, I would still be very VERY iffy on this.

September 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Snorläx Sleëper Cell

This will suck with the force of 1000 Lohans.

September 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Vicky

Another way of saying, we can't come up with an original idea, so we're going to copy other popular work. I would never go to see it.

September 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • cmaninbam

You go girl!!!! You hit it dead on the mark!!!! NO NEW IDEAS!!!! Next we'll see remakes of "Fast times and Ridgemont High", "Taxi Driver", "9 to 5" "Rhinestone Cowboy" and the classical hit of the 80's "The Stuff" lol!!!

September 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyran

Goodfellas 2: Betterfellas

September 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachaeleigh

I totally agree with you, it seems that after the writer's strike movies got worse not better. Maybe it's a sign that the world is coming to an end when all you can is remake good movies with B-list and C-list actors, and make a follow up to a movie that came out almost 25 years ago. Maybe a Ben-Hur 2 should be next, or Gone With The Wind? Oh wait they did that, and it sucked. Thank God for Blu-ray and dvds, or I'd have nothing to watch.

September 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Well,there arent too many Ideas left out there,plus with the access to media we have nowadays,and the fact a lot of stuff was based on other influences;books,plays,etc.

Granted there is a lot of crap out there,but theres also way more than there used to be,we are exposed to way more media,our expectations are higher,age and nostalgia,theres a lot of reasons why things arent as good as we thought they used to be.

September 10, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • torq

The Lunch Club

September 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  62. jimbo

that packs fudge !

September 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • I left a butt weasel in your vegetable crisper

The first beetlejuice was for shyt. Why bother with another pile of turds...

September 12, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • geoff

well, i lived in a haunted house, my name is deetz, my mom made strange sculptures, we had a small town in our living room, my father put gravestone rubbing on the map with his book and i grew up talking to a ghost...plymouth mass 1975.............we had strange friends come from new york.......need ideas for the second....ask me! i lived it

September 23, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  63. lia

Yes, Only if Michael Keaton playes beetlejuice.

September 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

Michal Keaton or G T F O

September 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

*Michael Keaton or G T F O

September 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristinia

I agree, altoough I'd much rather have the entire original cast, awesome movie!

September 10, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • skigirl

agree!

September 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron L.

I agree, Michael keaton or gtfo. Tired of Holylwood ruining remakes and what not. If Tim Burton directs this then I'll watch it.

September 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Agreed. I would like to see Winona in it also, but DEFINITELY Keaton. Without Keaton on board, it will flop.

September 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

No...no re-hash with the old cast. Have you seen Geena Davis lately? Ugh. Alec Baldwin is over-exposed, and Michael Keaton just stunk from the start. Is Tim Burton going to direct this also? Hmm......given what he's done with Depp and getting dumber and dumber every time, I hope not.

September 16, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • DP

Totally agree. Only Michael Keaton and Wyonna Ryder. What happened to the lady that processed paper work? Remember she apparently died of smoking and had the smoke coming out of her throat? I think this was the scene where the head shrinker was sitting there.

September 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

MICHAEL Keaton or FLOP

September 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • BD

Indeed, more Michael Keeton; stop letting him make stupid comedies or lame dramas. He always shines in dark movies, drama or comedy (i.e. Night Shift, Batman, Beetlejuice). The original was a great movie, even the animated series that was based on it was good.

September 26, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |