Celebrities commemorate 9/11 anniversary
September 8th, 2011

Celebrities commemorate 9/11 anniversary

Stars are teaming up in all sorts of different configurations to remember and honor the victims of 9/11.

From Broadway to the ball field, various projects have been planned to commemorate the tragedy’s 10th anniversary, and observe the 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance.

In one of the biggest memorial projects, over 30 actors, singers and sports figures (as well as survivors of the attacks and relatives of victims) appear in the “I Will (Pay Tribute)” campaign that began this week, reports Look To The Stars.

Lady Gaga, Samuel L. Jackson, Mariska Hargitay, Hilary Duff, Jordin Sparks, New York Yankees’ first baseman Mark Teixeira, Fran Drescher, Joe Jonas, Pauly D, Nas, Julianne Hough and Drake Bell are among the celebrities encouraging people to do good deeds in observance of 9/11.

In a PSA for the campaign, New York native Lady Gaga recalls witnessing the 9/11 attacks.  "We were in disbelief," she remembers. "We all watched the second tower fall together."

The service campaign asks, "What will you do to remember?" and “Jersey Shore” star Pauly D pledges, "I will call all my family members on that day."

To join the movement, visit 911day.org.

In the theater world, Billy Crudup, Melissa Leo, Edie Falco, Susan Sarandon, Chris Noth and Kathleen Turner will share their personal experiences at the 10th anniversary benefit reading of the play "110 Stories,” reports Entertainment Weekly. The event will take place on September 8 and 9 at Manhattan’s Skirball Center for the Performing Arts.

Proceeds from the reading will be donated to the New York Says Thank You Foundation, which sends volunteers from New York City all over the country each year on 9/11 to help rebuild communities affected by disasters.

Broadway talents like Matthew Broderick, Harvey Fierstein, Bebe Neuwirth and Brooke Shields will commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in Times Square with a tribute performance, reports Playbill. The show, which will include the classic song "New York, New York," will begin at 4 p.m. on September 9.

“Ten years ago Broadway united with the city to communicate that the shows must go on, just as life must; and now Broadway is banding together again to inspire participation in charitable projects in honor of those lost,” says Broadway League chairman Paul Libin. The Broadway community is working in collaboration with the “I Will” campaign to encourage the 9/11 tribute movement.

Patti LaBelle and country singer Alan Jackson will join President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama at the Washington National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. for the “Concert of Hope” on Sunday, reports Essence. President Obama will speak during the evening’s televised event, which concludes a three-day commemoration of the 10th anniversary. The event will air at 8 p.m. on September 11 on ABC and the Pentagon Channel.

TV shows are remembering 9/11 as well: According to the New York Post, "CSI: NY" will be paying tribute to 9/11 with a special storyline.

The premiere of the upcoming season yields answers about Mac Taylor's (Gary Sinise) wife, Claire, who was killed in the attacks. Sinise helped raise money to finish the Brooklyn Wall of Remembrance, and the show will film special scenes there for the episode. The episode will air just after the 10th anniversary of 9/11. FX series "Rescue Me" also honored the anniversary with their season finale.

And while many professional teams are commemorating the anniversary of 9/11, here are just a few:

NASCAR announced a special in-race tribute – a three-lap moment of silence – to take place on Saturday, September 10 during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.

The NFL will pay their respects with the Jets season opener game against the Dallas Cowboys, reports ESPN. Fans will receive flags, there will be pregame tributes and 9/11 ribbons. The national anthem will be sung by Mary J. Blige. Robert De Niro will narrate a halftime moment honoring family members of 9/11 victims.

The Yankees held a pregame ceremony at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday, where the baseball team honored veterans with former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

Are you planning anything to observe 9/11?

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Lady Gaga • Music • television • theater • Yankees

1. JOHN

Star Motivator-Personal Trainer NYC, "I motivate you". John is a master adviser.Image consultant
    Date coach and Business consultant.Servicing the client:We are New York City best personal trainers, and Suitable to service clients in any state. http://www.motivationamust.com

November 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ed Forbes

What will I do to remember?
    What can I do to forget?

September 12, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Richard

9/11 was a horrible day but it may have been the most important day in American history. The terrorists caught us with our pants down and if there had been nuclear, chemical or biological weapons on one of those planes, we would be talking possibly millions of deaths and life as we know it in the US(Possibly the world) would have changed beyond repair.

At least now we don't have our heads buried in the sand and maybe we can stop something like this from ever happening again.

God bless everyone who lost someone on that tragic day and to all of our brave soldiers who give up their lives so we can feel normal for at least one more day.

God Bless America

September 12, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Gladys Fogg

Richard. I would love for you to catch me with my pants down and really ream out my butt.

September 12, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. Roxanne

I was 11 years old, sitting in my 6th grade reading class when the principal came over the intercom and told us to turn on the TVs. I remember sitting at my desk watching the towers burn, wondering what exactly was going on. I don't think it really hit me how serious it was until we saw the towers fall.
    10 years later, I am 21 years old and currently deployed to Afghanistan. My decision to join the Marine Corps was definitely influenced by what I saw that day. I am proud to serve my country and happy to fight to make sure that Americans never have to go through that kind of heart break agian.

September 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Denise

I had just dropped my son, 4 at the time, off at preschool, came home, turned on the tv, saw the coverage, then watched the second plane fly into the 2nd tower. I couldn't believe my eyes. Then the Pentagon, just a few miles down the street was struck and I could see the smoke from my balcony. My husband worked on the next block. I called the school – they had heard, and asked if they could keep our son for the full day, as usual, which would give me time to check out the coverage. I did. I spoke w/my husband several times.
    As usual, I picked up our son from school, brought him home, he saw the coverage, and immediately went into fix-it mode: He took the vacuum cord and stretched it around the legs of the rocking chair and created an area where he placed his fire trucks in the middle of the circle, and police and emergency vehicles around the perimeter. I asked what he was doing and he said I'm taking care of it, Mom, see, I've cordoned off the area and put the police around the perimeter. We will fix it but it's going to take a lot of work. And he was busy the rest of the day working hard to make things right.
    We will remember by spending time together as a family working on our house to make it better and right, and remember all those who worked so hard to make Ground Zero right.

September 9, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

I was in middle school we were getting ready to take a social studies test. A teacher from another class came in and said we're under attack in New York. We spent the rest of the time watching it on TV. I didnt realize it till later but the teacher cut the TV seconds to when the the first tower fell. Now 10 years later I currently serve active duty USMC.

September 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pliny

Never forget....arab muslims did this.

And in 10 years....they've done nothing to stop it from happening again.

September 9, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Caroline

Ohhh please like the American government hasn't f-ked up and massacred infiltrated countries and killed far more in numbers around the world...!!!!Enough already 9/11 was horrible, innocent people died...but check the numbers of civilian deaths in Iraq and afghanistan nothing can be clearer....!!!I wished this day would be commemorate in private....!!!It seems like when Americans loose someone it's oh soooo horrible but people are suffering all over this freaking planet...!!!!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

September 10, 2011 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ganan

Was Lady Gaga even ALIVE when 9/11 happened? Why does she even speak?

September 9, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Granny

I too was in the DC area at a training class for the USMC. Class was stopped as a TV was rolled into the room and nothing was said for a few moments as the class had both marines and civilians of the USMC; after we saw a few a bit of the tradgety unfold the instructor told all of us to contact our commands for further instructions as all bases were on "lock down". They then sent us back to our hotels to await further instructions. Cell phones were nearly impossible due to the volumn of calls. I eventually reached my son (USAF) he was packed to leave in support of the air strikes. I repeat the comment "may this country never see this kind of attack again". All First Responders and those who went to help during 911 God Bless you and God Bless America. It was without a doubt a day that will stay with all of us forever and bless the families and friends who lost loved ones our prayers are with you all and WE WILL NEVER FORGOT..

September 9, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Portugal

There you go, dedicated to y'all...have fun translating, it´s worth it!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQZ9qDS8RvY&w=640&h=390]

September 9, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kay

Its just sad that it takes something like 9-11 to bring us together, we should be working together anyway. Why does it take a tragedy to remind us we are Americans? As far as celebrites asking us to do a good deed, I don't need them to ask me to do anything. Helping my fellow neighbor is a daily ritual and it doesn't take a tragedy to remind me to help out whenever possible. The arrogance of them to think we need them for anything!

September 9, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Anonymous

I was a 10th grader and in class when this sad tragedy occured. The teacher turned the T.V. on and the whole school came to a stop to listen and watch the events unfold. When one of the towers collapsed, their was screams and tears...remember that these were all young teens so we were so confused as to how anyone can do this. I remember that whole days as a blur because there was at least 1 out of 10 students that knew someone in New York and was impacted. I will never forget that whole day because the attacks surrounded us all day. For the whole year, everything changed and so did the whole nation.

September 9, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. Anonymous

I remember 9-11-01 like it was yesterday...I was only 6, they closed schools and no one knew what was going on, until the videos started to stream across all the tv screens. Worst thing that has ever happened in my life time.....

September 9, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. C. Zastrow

I was on duty as a firefighter/EMT/HAZMAT Technician in one of the nation's largest chemical plants that morning. When the first plane hit, we thought it was an accident...then the others struck....and we realized this was no accident. Being a strategic target, the plant went into lockdown mode, security was tightened, and we all waited anxiously to see if we were next. We watched in horror as our fire department brothers and sisters perished along with EMS, Police, and the innocent civilians of NYC and Washington DC. Anger, sadness, fear, pride....we all ran the gamet of emotions that day, and to some extent, we still do. We will never forget that fateful day....and must ensure that generations after us are told the stories of bravery and sacrifice that occurred that day.

September 8, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. OutYourHands Up

I love Lady Gaga!! Her word is law!!!! I think there should be a holiday named after her!!! Lady Gaga Day!! :D

September 8, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Anomic Office Drone

I remember 9/11 vividly. It was tragic and horrific. I still feel the pain of it to this day.

That said, I'm sick of hearing about it, and I'm disgusted by my country's reaction. Did we soldier on and proclaim they could never beat us? No we proclaimed they would never beat us as we spent our way in to oblivion and gladly gave up on our civil rights. Grow a pair, America. It's been a decade.

September 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. FIX IN TX

I was watching the morning news as the 2nd plane flew into WTC. I stood there in disbelief. I then called my parents to make sure the were ok. Then the reporters started talking about Washington D.C. and as they reported it they initially said the attack at the Pentagon happened it was reported as being at the Federal Credit Union. That totally made my heart stop because my brother worked there. I could not get call through to him because everybody in this great nation just about was checking on loved ones. As the day went on, I watched in disbelief. I went outside and could here not a sound for 2 days it was if the world stopped. Then neighbors and strangers united side by side in pray and at blood drives and all other means of volunteering to help firefighters from across the nation went to help. On this 9/11, I will go to church and pray for all those lost, injured, recovery, servicemen & women, and this great nation. God Bless the USA this Land I Love!!!

September 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Carl S

A radio station in Las Vegas has created a POWERFUL tribute song that features a girl reading letters to her father as she grows up over ten years without him http://cbskluc.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/dj-sammy-heaven-kluc-9-11-rmx.mp3

September 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. leelanau

Yup, I was dying to know what all these self-absorbed characters are planning, so that I may model my own response accordingly.......yeesh.

September 8, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. @Maryann

Exactly right! You go girl!

September 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Buddy

@Cherry Pie First off, we did not go to war with Libya. It was a military action, which does not require Congress' approval. It was a joint effort with our United Nation's members. Congress did vote on going to war with Iraq, due to the misinformation from the Bush Administration, it passed. Not trying to put you down, but your facts are wrong. Google it!
    I would never put anyone down for remembering 9/11.

September 8, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • leelanau

Are you really still tasting that Democrat party line Kool-Aid on your lips after all these years?

September 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • cherry pie

first off there was no misinformation and 2nd off both of the "wars" are military operations and you using google to back up your argument is funny because of the misinformed and uneducated information that inhabits those top sources found using google....thank you for not having the intention of not putting people down for 9/11 buddy... and @maryann...Alqaeda in Iraq stood up after the war but Al-Qaeda was already formed since the 80s and already had a presence in Iraq before they stood up after we rightfully invaded their country to get a demon out of power....so maryann can you please get your facts straight

September 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Maryann - Orlando FL

I am shocked and amazed that after a decade there are still some people who think that Iraq attacked us.

cherry pie – please get YOUR facts straight. Al Qaida in Iraq did not even exist until AFTER we wronly invaded that country.

Vip – I know that you are young, but please research history instead of just believing what your parents told you.

September 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • leelanau

MaryAnn, me thinks you only believe what you want to believe......I've attached some suggested viewing you've never seen on CNN.....

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JE48XHKG64&w=640&h=390]

September 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. @buddy

LMAO you're not the smartest one after all!! @richard. Please keep your comments to yourself!!

September 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Buddy

@VIP First off, the president can not take us into a war without the approval of the house & senate. Second, Iraq did not attack us. It was Bin Laden. He was in Afghanistan. We went to war with Iraq under false pretenses made up by the Bush Administration. Remember, weapons of mass destruction, which were never found! You are obviously not very fluent with how government works. Stop watching fox news & learn the true facts!

September 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • cherry pie

first off the president can go to war without approval of the house and senate. He just has to let them know. now after the 60 day period he does need permission however a couple presidents have ignored this law most recently presiden Obama in Libya. Next is VIP said the Iraqi terrorists not Iraq themselves which is who Bin Laden was in charge of the terrorists. Yes he was in Afghanistan but only for safehaven while his group Al-Qaeda in Iraq continued devistating the country. So you should get your facts str8 buddy before you try to put someone down you is trying to remember 9/11

September 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really "Buddy"?

"First off, the president can not take us into a war without the approval of the house & senate"

Really "Buddy"? What is Obama doing in Libya?..... He has just called it a Kientic Action instead.... and did what he wanted

September 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Call Sign Sarin

Here is the gouge, the President CAN send in the Marines without congress' approval. That power can be extended to the Navy to support the Marines with carrier and firepower. To bring in the army and airforce (the permeating forces) some kind of approval must be obtained. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and happend in 2003 for what ever reason you believe ( WMDs, oil, whatever....) Iraq started as UN security council military intervention, which has its own set of rules. Lybia is similar but with NATO instead of UN. For Afghanistan there was the authorization for use of military force against terrorists which was passed by congress on 9/14/2001 (whiched passed with 98 ayes and 0 nays with 2 not voting) which authorized the use of the armed forces to use all "necessary and appropriate force" against those who planned, authorized, committed or aided in the 9/11 attacks.

September 8, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Vip

I was in the 5th grade when the Two Towers were struck. I remember doing Math in my classroom and the teacher getting a phone call. Carefully, she put the phone down on it's receiver and turned on the TV. She told us to stop doing our problems and pay attention to the show. I remember watching and, when she explained what had happened, I thought, "What's a world-trade center?" I didn't understand how devestating it was until my Mom explained it to me.

I was happy to see Americans come together and demand justice and I was glad when Pres. Bush decided (WITHOUT CONGRESS, I might add) to go to war against the Iraqi Terrorists. I was glad that Americans came together to pray for loved ones and families that they did not know. I was glad about the unity that sprung forth, but I was sad in knowing that it would not last. It took a year for us to forget why were were in Iraq and what had been done. It took a year for Americans to go back to being "normal." A year and it's only gotten worse.

Hopefully, this anniversary of the Day when America was attacked will spark a rememberance that we, as a nation, will never forget.

September 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • RJVegas

"I was happy to see Americans come together and demand justice and I was glad when Pres. Bush decided (WITHOUT CONGRESS, I might add) to go to war against the Iraqi Terrorists." That's one of the problems after the attacks.....they were NOT Iraqi terrorists...mostly Saudi and some UAE citizens. Now you might want to study why Pres. Bush decided to go to war with Iraq when the terrorists weren't there or from there.

September 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. @ Richard

At least, I have something to comment on. Again, with the attacks. Nothing pleases you, does it. Get a life! It was a very horrific day. I will always remember all the people I encountered that day. The shock, the sadness. One good thing that did come out of that day, I've never seen the American people come together in such a united stand of patriotism. This probably doesn't interest you, but I was commenting on the article. Isn't that what you wanted? Sorry it bored you so much!

September 8, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fore

If were on personal speaking terms, please, call me Dick.

September 8, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  27. LBW

I will burn a candle. I do this every year. That day was one of the saddest days in my life.

September 8, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • ralph

I will walk with my head held high and do what I always do. While I respect the dead, I will not let this tragedy take another moment of my life. Stop being afraid – that is what terrorists live for.

September 9, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Happy Cow

Those poor people jumping out of windows and off the roof is about the saddest thing ever. Poor guys. Gosh.

September 8, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  29. Happy Cow

I was working away from the office with no radio. Didnt hear anything about it until late in the afternoon. When I asked a friend if she had a good day, she said not really. Later I heard what had happened. Im always behind or slow. moooo.

September 8, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Doodee Pot Pie

I jumped on my neighbors trampline, pulled down my pants and took a huge poo poo while jumping. I imagined the stinky pieces bouncing around were people jumping from the towers then squashed them with my dirty behind.

September 12, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  30. MoonDancer

On 911, I was in Virginia after a little vacation time. I was in my hotel packing to come home, when the footage started coming on the tv. Shocking was the only word I can think of. We headed to airport listening to the radio about the coverage of the attack. They had not shut the airports down at that time. By the time we got to Richmond, everything was being shut down. In the airport, people were in shock. I talked to this young airline pilot. I said to him, "I'll bet you're glad you are not in the air right now". He said, "I just flew in from New York, I flew right over it. I don't think I will ever fly again". To those who were lost in this horrific tragedy, the innocents, the first responders, & to the families who lost their loved ones, we will never forget. Our thoughts are with you! May this never happen on our soil again.
    God bless America!

September 8, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • america45

I agree, god bless America and help the families who lost loved ones. When 911 happened i was in 2nd grade and all i could think was,was that something was wrong and nobody would tell me what, then the next day i was watching the news when i first saw the footage, till this day i can't believe that this happened and am really sad it did

September 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

We had just gotten back from our honeymoon 2 days before. I had joked that no one would hijack our plane because there was not enough fuel. I don't even know why I said it. Then, we get home and we are in our little apartment starting our lives together when I get a call from my very shaken spouse who commanded me to go to the in law's office (we did not watch tv at home and had no cable). With my father in law I saw the towers fall. It was eerie. I am from a country that has been war torn forever so I know what that is like. But I never thought the US would be so open to attack like that. I think the US needs to wake up and realize they need a stronger military. I am disappointed that NYC has not rebuilt the towers. I believe the rest of the world needs to see that the US is tough and that we do not lie down and cry. It's time to heal and move on.

September 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |