Kristin Chenoweth on faith, gay rights and lessons learned
September 7th, 2011

Kristin Chenoweth on faith, gay rights and lessons learned

Singer Kristin Chenoweth is crooning about "Some Lessons Learned" on her fourth studio album, due out September 13, and it sounds like one of them is to stick to her guns.

The 43-year-old star has been open about being a Christian and a champion for gay rights, and as she explains to the Advocate, her position isn't one that's always readily accepted.

In 2005, the Oklahoma native was hired to be the singing spokeswoman for a Women of Faith concert, but wound up fired after the organization learned of her stance on gay rights. The Advocate notes that Chenoweth has called it "the saddest moment" in her professional career.

"I read my Bible and I pray and all of that - I really do. But at the same time, I don't think being gay is a sin. Period," she tells the magazine of her view. "I also think there are a lot of Christians who believe like me...My Grandma Chenoweth told me something when I was growing up. My [gay] best friend...I asked Grandma Chenoweth, 'How can it be that he's going to hell? I just don't think that's correct.' And she said, 'Well, Kris, I read the Bible like I eat fish: I take the meat, and it serves me well, but I don't choke on the bone."

After Chenoweth came to the defense of her "Promises, Promises" co-star Sean Hayes, who was targeted in an article that claimed gays can't convincingly play straight characters, she says there were some who weren't on board with her viewpoint.

"Most of the feedback was positive, to be honest with you," she says of the reaction. "But I did read online that some people were disappointed to hear that I felt that way. And that makes me sad. But what can I tell you? I'm sorry if somebody is offended by what I say, but it's the truth of how I feel."

Consider it one of the lessons she's learned.

Speaking of her album, Chenoweth says this record offers both the "good and frustrating, hard and wonderful" teachable moments she's had.

"Mostly," she tells the Advocate, "I wanted it to be full of hope and inspiration for women like me: women that have had love but haven't found the right one yet."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. this

Thank you, I have just been searching for info about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I've discovered so far. But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain about the supply?|What i do not understood is in reality how you are no longer really a lot more smartly-favored than you might be right now. You are so intelligent.

August 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. web xem phim

Superb post but I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be really thankful if you could elaborate a little bit far more. Thanks!

July 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ペニス

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out much. I'm hoping to offer something back and aid others such as you aided me.

July 19, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Auction Goods

I am extremely inspired with your writing abilities and also with the format for your blog. Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to look a great weblog like this one these days..

July 14, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Morning AFter

Everyone loves Kristen Chenoweth!
    Check out the 200th Episode of The Morning After on Hulu

[hulu id=5afHrqPv-BV_zpkCCUi3CQ width=500]

October 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Giggles

God didnt create Adam an Steve if we are true women an men of God an read the Bible then we know that it is an abomination in his eye. Now i wouldnt say hate the Gay people. However dont have to like there ways.

September 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tony

You are 100% right VIP people read the word and your eyes will open seek god the lord JESUS!
    Men is for Woman only woman is for man only ! Only a true christian will understand and believe that no gay person that died all ready has walked in the gates of heaven ..... this is a very sick sin!!

September 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robert C

I saw Promises Promises on Broadway and was very excited that both were in it and Shawn nailed it as the male love interest and as a comedy star. His turn with the 60's mod chair was better than anything Jerry Lewis or Carol Burnett ever did with slapstick. May Shawn and Kristen be on Broadway forever. By the way I am straight and who cares about me and who should care about anyone else!!!!

September 9, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. JoAnn

I'm with Kristin and many of the other posters here, too – Christ's message was about radical love. And yes, with that love comes a host of moral demands, all of which are to be carried out with love.

I believe and I stand with my brothers and sisters that may be black, white, straight, gay, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, etc. that are wonderful, loving, life-affirming people. And I for one am glad to see a celebrity that not only do I identify with, but can genuinely admire.

September 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. DJ

No cheeseburgers:

Exodus 23:19 and Deuteronomy 14:21. These verses form the basis for the prohibition against mixing milk and meat in Jewish law.

If people like Gigi and don would like to criticize Ms. Chenoweth for her "cafeteria" Christianity, then I would like to turn the tables back at them. Are you folks *really* sticking to *everything* the bible says we're supposed to be doing? An easy place to start is to ask if you're keeping kosher.

After that, we can ask how many snakes you've been talking to lately, but that's just too easy . . .

September 8, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • don

DJ – You fail to see the difference between ceremonial law and moral law.

By the way, you have real issues with talking snakes. Did Sir Hiss in Disney's "Robin Hood" scare you when you were wittle?

September 8, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Christopher Nelson

I never did understand how someone could call themselves a christian yet reject the parts of the bible that they do not like. Apparently her grandmother is on equal footing with the word of God. Lukewarm christianity is just so fantastic.

September 8, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

Well Don, I guess you told them ! Lol

September 7, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Mary – I'm sick and tired of people criticizing something they haven't bothered to really investigate with an open mind. They just spout these typical moronic cliche's. It would be like me criticizing Einstein for his Theory of Relativity when I've never even taken a physics course. Get some knowledge before you spout off.

September 8, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • cb1kanobi

Don is in the wrong from my perspective. He obviously follows a Pauline Christianity which is definitely NOT the Christ of love that I read in the Bible. Paul's teachings are the foundation of today's american Christian Religions. I take his writings with a grain of salt. Anyone that considers the bible to be literally the word of God has not done his homework. Don and maybe you Mary need to read up on how this sacred book you call the bible came to be. I agree that some of the works on it are really inspirational and a good guide to life, but so is Deepak Chopra's works. All you "Christians" that believe that God literally gave us this Bible need to ask yourselves why you believe that? I can understand the faith side of it, but you cannot deny the historical and science part of it. The Bible that we use today was an eventual result of King Constantine's efforts to manage the masses of conflicting Christians in the roman empire around AD 325. The Nicaean Council ( powerful men in Constantine's empire) went through a tedious process of picking whose scriptures they would accept and whose they would not. There was NO divine intervention. It was really purely politics as evidenced by the truly Christian (not) practice of exiling all that did not agree in the Nicene Creed (Bible), and then proceeding to burn other writings of Christ's Followers and apostles that did not fit in with the MAN-MADE set of laws, rules, values, beliefs, and regulations that they put forth. Oh yes, I almost Forgot. And of course there is the beating, stoning and killing anyone that did NOT agree. Where do you think that the practice of Killing Heathens (from the Crusades), and the inquisitions of old came from? This was not limited to the Catholics (Universal Church) but the Protestant movement have their fair sharing of showing their Christ Like attributes by burning, exiling, tar and feathering, torturing, and even killing all that believed different and did not fit in with their Christian (not) creeds. There are many historical facts showing that this occurred throughout the ages, even in our United States. Just ask the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, 7th Day Adventist's, etc... what they know about religious persecution. Ok. I know I have shared a mouthful but I am on a roll. One last note:
      Fighting against those that are different may be a Human thing but it really is not a Christ thing.
      cb1knaobi
      Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea#The_Biblical_Canon and you may get enlightened.

October 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David Fake: Orlando, FL

BRAVA! to Chenoweth! I could not be more proud of this true "Woman of Faith" for saying what she believes knowing the backlash that would surely ensue. Even more so, I praise her forward-thinking grandmother, another great "woman of Faith," who obviously understood the true message of the Bible. These two women have spoken out to their world, their audience. More importantly, they have also shown that they practice these teachings by imbuing truth and love in and to others. Far too often it is the narrow-minded and self-righteous that take to their soapbox and stand for their interpretation of the Bible—their belief that anyone or anything that differs from it must certainly be wrong, an abomination, damned. If viewed through an unfiltered glass, it appears that these are the individuals with an agenda that is more closely akin to perversion. Ironic, isn’t it? Even more heartbreaking to me personally is that some of my own family and friends who I love with all my heart fall into this category. Still, I ask this question to everyone who preaches judgment and damnation, "Is there really anything more inconsistent with the teachings of The Bible, the book that you claim to love and cherish so dearly, than to perpetuate intolerance, fear, insecurity, and perpetuate hate?"

September 7, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Is there anything more inconsistent than a person who claims to love gays, but sits idly by while their unrepentant sin comdemns them. See, the difference between your love for a gay person, and a Christians love for a gay person, is that the Christian desires to spend eternity with the repentant gay person. Do you think we do this because we have some kind of quota we must meet, or we get a bonus check when we get to heaven?

September 7, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pmo1346

Amen..what others are stating is "religion" not the teaching of Christ. All the haters need to now stop supporting gays by turning off their tvs, stop seeing movies, stop watching sports, politics, big business, turn off your electricity...you will be supporting gays at some point. You might want not support them by stopping your comments on social media..they are there too! Now, while you are reading the Bible because you have no tv on, actually read it-not someone else's commentary. In other words think, have compassion , and love for yourself. and smile Jesus loves you too!

September 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Fake: Orlando, FL

Shouldn’t we all be proud of who we are AND our faith, whatever faith that is? Shouldn’t we challenge ourselves daily to increase the acceptance, tolerance, peace, and love in our own little world—the world we affect? Isn’t that the baseline message of The Bible? And, and shouldn’t we do this regardless of the harm that some ‘resounding gongs/clanging cymbals’ have done to the reputation of God, The Bible, religion?  One thing we seem to all do agree on is that it isn’t God who has made the mistakes, it is us. Again, ironic, isn’t it?

September 8, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey David – The "baseline message" of the Bible is that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior and that, "no one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6). Christ's words not mine.

September 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DJ

The bible also says you can't eat a cheeseburger, shrimp scampi, or barbecued pork. Oh, you're also supposed to sell all your wordly possessions, give them to the poor, and spend the rest of your days wandering around telling people about the good news. Finally, it says that a talking snake tricked a woman into committing the first sin, and she tricked a man into committing the 2nd one. God was so angry about this that he had to impregnate a young woman so he could be born so that he could have himself executed as a ritual sacrifice to convince himself that he should forgive the people descended from the people who were tricked by the snake.

This makes sense to people exactly . . . why?

Meantime, Ms. Chenoweth should be commended for her bravery and then someone should FEED HER.

September 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gigi

Most people commenting here seem to be responding emotionally to a very superficial understanding of Christianity. For example, DJ says the Bible says you can't eat cheeseburgers, which is funny because cheeseburgers didn't exist in the time the Bible was written. I've been studying the Bible for 40 years and I've never seen the verse that prohibits the eating of cheeseburgers. Thank you, DJ, for that nugget of wisdom. The most common thread seems to be that people treat their "knowledge" of the Bible as something they can massage based on their feelings. Ms. Chenowith disagrees with certain things in the Bible. That’s fine. But she seems to have missed the point that she’s actually disagreeing with God because He is the author of these principles and standards we are live by. Nowhere in the Bible are we told “If you feel like it” or “if you want to.” The Bible is very absolute and direct in its standards. Believers are people who have chosen to follow God and His ways. If you love God you are a believer. If you don’t, you aren’t. That’s not to say that people don’t make mistakes, even honest mistakes. But when people fool themselves by trying to straddles the fence – calling themselves Christians while throwing out important parts of their theology, they have a problem. They have to start asking themselves if they really are believers or not. It’s just a question of honesty.

September 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

DJ – your interpretation of the Bible is astounding. I'll bet you could perform open heart surgery just because you know how to use a steak knife.

September 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rj

The whole religious topic is very touchy.. No one, not even a saved believer of Christ has the right to say who's going to Hell and who isn't. The thing that super religious people FAIL to understand is that god doesn't HATE a certain group of people. If that were true then it would be very HYPERCRITICAL of Jesus and god himself to be teaching the people of Love and Forgiveness if hes gonna be teaching people to HATE a certain group. Don't you think?.. That's why so many young people who identify as LGBT have more suicides due to the fact of religious leaders and the people who follow tell them to HATE and that its okay to bully and wrongfully JUDGE. Don't you all think people who do that sort of stuff should be accountable for the deaths? Its not the concept of SIN that made them kill themselves its the people and ministers that preach gods word who twist the word around to what they think feels right for them. God doesn't HATE, I honestly don't know why people seem to think that he does... Its very annoying, and god says in the Bible "Don't hendur my children from seeking me." Which means don't turn people away from GOD. And yet Christian leaders and the church congregation always does. Its sad.... God loves all of his creations, he knows ahead of time what kind of people we all are gonna become. He knew from the time we all are conceived who and what we all are gonna be. So people really need to stop spreading the word of hate... Its stupid.

September 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • cb1kanobi

Thanks Rj. You are so RIGHT ON !!! I couldn't have said it better.

October 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. T. Jenkins

The Bible was not written by the hand of God, but rather by schollarly, religious men. It was written by people who included their own prejudices. The men who wrote the Bible believed being gay was a sin. Why are we wrong to disagree with them and say they were wrong? We have had 2000 years to think about and ponder over what they wrote down. Doesn't society have a right to learn and change over time? Why must we be stuck back clinging to the values written by men 2000 years ago? Those same men also thought the earth was flat.

September 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • JM

The Bible said the earth was suspended in space WAY before man ever found that out.

Job 26:7
      He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.

September 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

The men who thought the earth was flat was the same scientific community who told you that you evolved from an ape.

September 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Istenno

Don, why are you defending the bible? nothing you have said in any way indicates that you are a follower of christ.

September 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Istenno – are you judging me?

September 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • istenno

what a strange question to ask. i'm not actively judging you...do you feel judged? i don't think you are someone i would like to spend much time with, though. i am curious about why you imply that you have some sort of concern with christianity and yet speak so rudely and uncharitably.

September 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Istenno – that’s called sarcasm. Nonbelievers are so quick to tell Christians they’re being judgmental, but never consider their own comments to be judgmental.

As to my rude and uncharitable comments, I have no respect for someone who trashes my God and my faith. You have to admit though, it is better than killing the infidels.

September 8, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • istenno

and yet, with those words, you trash it yourself. is it possible you have strayed from the path illuminated by Jesus Christ?

September 8, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • cb1kanobi

Right On Mr. Jenkins.
      Thanks for enlightening some here. However, being blinded by the light and the evil construction of Science, History and the like, I fear that they will continue to believe that there really are no Dinosaurs, That Darwinism is evil, and that that The Almighty took time off from his busy day and Physically delivered to us this inspired work that many strive to live their lives by, no matter how confusing and conflicting it may seem at times.
      People just need to catch on that Christ Like Living and Religion are NOT the same thing.

October 11, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MikeMazzla

Ive got a great idea.. how about we grow up and realize that its 2012 and that the bible is basically a story made up years ago to try and explain things that were not understood by people who were otherwise ignorant of the way life began etc. Lets try that one on for size.

September 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Ive got a great idea.. instead of commenting on something you know nothing about, i.e, the Bible, why don't you stick with what you do know. That would probably be a record for the shortest post on this blog. Lets try that one on for size.

September 7, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

By the way, the last time I looked at my calendar it was 2011; boy, you really are more advanced then us neanderthal Christians.

September 7, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mikemazzla

Religious people are funny

September 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Joyce

I am not a big church goer, but, I have picked up the "good book". It does say in there somewhere-"man shall not lay with man". What do you suppose that means?

September 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mikemazzla

It means some idiot back in the day wrote this story and for some odd reason here you are in 2012 and believing it a/o running your life based on some idiots moral code from back in the day

September 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jj

It's hard to picture Sean H playing straight. But he must have done it in the beginning. But now we all know, and he has to overcome our disbelief. Of course gays can play straight. Blacks can play whites, Women can play men. Dumb can play smart... He was likely cast in this role for to sell tickets, and it sounds like it didn't go over well. (?). What other explanation can their be, when there are so many talented actors waiting tables?
    And you judgmental bible-readers out there – are you sure you are reading a real bible? Closely? There are a lot of words and rules in there, and they are sometimes contradictory and hard to understand. I doubt if you are living your life as the bible says. From the pope to the monthly church goer, we are all cafeteria Christians!
    And if you truly believe gays are going to hell, you need to think for yourself and stop believing what men wrote in the various books. It might help if you meet some gays in real life. They aren't much different than you are. And while you're hating gays, how about our soldiers who are killing women and children? Corporate leaders sending millions out on the streets, while buying private jets? It's a complicated world out there. Try closely judging yourself, first! Gays are nothing but an easy, misunderstood target for your hatred.

September 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

"There are a lot of words and rules in there, and they are sometimes contradictory and hard to understand."
      Wow, spoken like a true Bible expert.

September 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Randy

Gay people can't convincingly play straight?
    Then how do you explain half of the newscasters on Fox?

September 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Chris Candide

"But at the same time, I don't think being gay is a sin. Period"

Well then, you reject clear the clear and unequivocal teaching of Scripture on the matter, ma'am. Better advice than what granny provides is this" If you call yourself a Christian and you find yourself disagreeing with God's Word, it's probably wise to assume YOU are wrong, not God.

September 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom-ay

the bible condemns women, justifiies slavery, and killing jews who do not believe... are you folliwing thsoe portions too? Its okay, Hitler was too.

September 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tickled Pink

The Bible isn't wrong, just as the Koran isn't wrong, just as Grimm's Fairy Tales aren't wrong. They all make for nice (and gruesome) stories that no one in their right mind believes in.

September 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Tickled Pink – can you share with us what "one in their right mind" believes?

September 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tickled Pink

@ don: Certainly. Someone in their right mind does not accept that there is a god just because a group of people claim there is. It's fiction.

September 8, 2011 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Tickled Pink – that's the second time you've stated what "someone in their right mind" doesn't believe; I asked you to state what "someone in their right mind" does believe.

September 8, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Tickled Pink – maybe asking you to state what you believe was a little too personal. Instead, prove to me that God does not exist.

September 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. derp

Christians blow!

September 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Derp – it doesn't take any courage to criticise Christians; why don't you tell us how you feel about Christ?

September 7, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Christ blows too!

Is that better?

September 8, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • St. Satan

Of course he does! It says in the Bible he's sitting on the right hand of God. It doesn't get my gayer than that!

September 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

And when you finally meet Him, He's going to blow you away.

September 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sgt. York

""I read my Bible and I pray and all of that – I really do. But at the same time, I don't think being gay is a sin. Period,""

Then she's not really reading her bible...just the parts that make her feel warm and fuzzy.

September 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. tobiasjericho

remember protestants can interpret the Bible anyway they see fit.

September 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  26. D.

The Bible says it's a sin. There's no way to deny that without just ignoring the parts of the Bible that you don't want to see, and that's not how life works. You don't get to pick and choose what exists and what doesn't.
    THAT SAID, the Bible says that we're all sinners. Not one amongst us can claim to be pure free from sin. That's why God sent Jesus to us... because he loves us, even when we sin.

So, it's not for anyone to say who goes to Hell and who doesn't. That's up to God. But anyone who thinks that they are free from sin themselves and yells that someone else is going to Hell is ignoring chunks of the Bible as well.

Neither extreme is right, if you want to discuss the topic strictly from a Christian point of view.

September 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

So you're saying the part of the bible that says women may not speak in church, or where it's ok to beat your slaves to death as long as they don't die right away.. You obviously follow those rules too, since you can't pick and choose

September 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.

I'm not preaching here. I'm not getting on a soap box or debating this issue with you. The fact is, the Bible says one thing and if you claim to have faith in the Bible, you can't close your eyes and ignore what you don't want to see. So the question is, what do you do with that information?

Sorry if you want to take issue with that, but honestly, this is about as middle of the road as one can get. People have free will to live how they want. It's not for us to judge who goes to Hell and who doesn't. It's not for us to pretend that any of us are without sin. Therefore, throwing around judgement is silly. But this is as true with "they're not going to Hell" as it is with "They're going to Hell". Simply put, it's way above any of our pay grades to even try to determine those answers.

For the record, I neither go to church nor own a slave.

September 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Me – would you be so kind as to provide me with the book, chapter, and verse of the Bible where God is quoted as saying the things you claim He condones. And just so I know you're quoting the Bible and not your bible, I'll make it easy for you and provide you with a website – biblegateway.com.

September 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

@Don

Exodus 21:20-21

September 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

@Don

September 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Jon – these verses deal with the abuse of power that some Jewish masters were exercising over their Gentile servants. If the servant were to die under the hand of the master then the master was to be punished. If the servant were to survive a day or two then it was obviously not the intention of the master to kill the servant, and his punishment was limited to the loss of the servant which could represent a serious financial loss.

I realize that this explanation may not satisfy, but the Gentiles were not followers of God, and if you’re not a follower of God you’re an enemy of God.

The good news is that God accepts all who name Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior into His Kingdom, whether Jew or Gentile, master or servant.

September 8, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Vip

Sadly, if you support h0m0s3xuality, you are not a Christian. Love and support are two different things. Jesus loved the harl0t, but did not support her lifestyle. In the same manner, He loved the pharisees, but did not support their ways. Jesus said that ANY and ALL s3xual immorality is a sin. Man was made for woman and woman was made for man. If you believe any differently, you cannot be a Christ-follower.

September 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosemary

Vip, you are so wrong.
      I pray you'll see the light.
      Best wishes.

September 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marc Angel

I am so tired of hearing how if you support this then you can't be that, No one has the right to judge. Everyone is born of sin. Not one sin is greater than the other. No one has the right to tell another person that how he or she feels is wrong and that they will go to hell for it. Wonder why there are so many Suicides. It is because of all the hate that is being spewed from the ignorant mouths that call themselves "Christians". Oh and by the way Jesus died for his followers sins. The Jewish followers. So if you want to argue with me read the Bible again. I support good people that actually care about one another. I also believe in myself. If I am wrong then so be it. I know for a fact I will be seeing most of you were I am going.

September 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tickled Pink

You may be right about Christians not being able to support the gays. But then, being Christian is a choice. Being Gay isn't.

September 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Confused

Define support. Jesus didn't let them stone Mary Magdalene, was that supporting her? I'm not gay but I don't object to anyone who is. I am less concerned about gays than pedophiles since I have kids.

September 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Tickled Pink – you mean they found the Gay gene?

September 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Oh grow up. Jesus was not a real person. The bible is a book of fairytales. Too bad that you are such a loser in life that you must hide in a religious cult.

September 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doc

Seems to me what really would prevent one from being a Christian is trying to justify your prejudices in His name. I believe that's called blasphemy.

September 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

Hey Tom – you're as ignorant of history as you are Christianity. Whether you believe the Bible is the Word of God or not, it is one of the most accurate historical records in print.

September 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. fernace

Good for Kristin Chenoweth for standing up for her faith & her principles! The fact is, it's up to God to judge & it's is not our job to hate people! I'm totally on board with what she's saying & love all my friends, gay & straight, black,white ,brown, Christian, Jew, Muslim, atheist! It's hard enough to find True Friends, I'm not gonna exclude some1 for predjudicial reasons! That would be shallow & hypocritical, like I'm upholding myself as some sort of paragon of virtue! I truly support people with this mindset! Go, Kristin!!

September 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Aprilcot26

Thank you, Ms. Chenowith, for showing that not all Christians are closed-minded bigots.

September 7, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • ProperVillain

Amen to that!

September 7, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joanne

Agreed!!!

September 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosemary

Oh yes, I so agree!
      From the very proud Christian Mum of a gorgeous delightful gift from God – my gay son.
      Best wishes.

September 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Amen to that! She makes all of us proud! And as a bonus, it drives the haters crazy! Particulary, Chris Candide, who is obviously a closet case.

September 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Confused

Wow! Gays can't convincingly play straight – ever hear of Rock Hudson? This lady has a lovely voice and apparently a lovely spirit to go with it.

September 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey

Thank you for showing that not all people who call themselves Christians are Christians...as you can't just take what fits your ideas from the Bible and dismiss others because you don't agree with them. There are Christians and those who call themselves that...a big difference.

September 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aimee Maude Sims

Check out RAW: A Poetic Journey – Finding a Way from Conflict to Revelation it's an anthology of poems from LGBT Christians and friends around the world sharing their testimonies of how faith helped them overcome bigotry ... published by NuWine Press!

September 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hate Is NOT a family value

@Joey

Please read this with a earnest heart and pray about it.

Matthew 7:1-5
      1DO NOT judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves.
      2For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you [use to] deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you.
      3Why do you stare from without at the very small particle that is in your brother's eye but do not become aware of and consider the beam of timber that is in your own eye?
      4Or how can you say to your brother, Let me get the tiny particle out of your eye, when there is the beam of timber in your own eye?
      5You hypocrite, first get the beam of timber out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the tiny particle out of your brother's eye.

September 9, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  30. theDude

Bad advice from grammy Chenoweth. Should have left that advice in the nursing home.

September 7, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  31. Double R

And you're an idiot!!!

September 7, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  32. lightness

Wow, you must feel like a hateful, dirty, anrgy person inside to leave a comment like that. I pray God will fill your heart with true love and kindness for others.

September 7, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |