Eddie Murphy as Oscars host – Good or bad choice?
September 7th, 2011

Eddie Murphy as Oscars host – Good or bad choice?

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced that the coveted, highly anticipated host of the 2012 Oscars will be comedian and actor Eddie Murphy. Now this is not an easy gig.

Last year, the Academy tried to make the telecast more youthful by having young Hollywood superstars Anne Hathaway and James Franco co-host – a decision critics bashed after the show fell flat and Franco seemed to show a lack of interest in his hosting gig.

Now the Academy is putting its faith in Eddie Murphy, who also follows in the footsteps of past comedian/entertainer hosts like Bob Hope, Whoopi Goldberg and Steve Martin.

So far, it seems like Hollywood is on board with Eddie too. I caught up with Whoopi at the season premiere of “The View” and she thinks Eddie would be a great choice. She says, “You have to have a funny person. You have to have somebody that loves the movies, you have to have somebody who’s engaged and I think Eddie is engaged. He knows our business, he gets what the audience is like… I love the idea of Eddie Murphy.”

"Showbiz Tonight" also caught up with actor Nick Nolte (Murphy’s co-star in their classic flick “48 Hours”) at the premiere of Nolte’s new film “Warrior” and he also thinks Murphy is a great choice. “He's going to be great,” Nolte says. “You know with Eddie, it’s a pure genius. You just don't know what he's going to bring. He'll bring a lot of humor. A lot of fun to it."

I think Eddie’s got the right personality for this gig and he should be great. The question is though, is he relevant enough to draw in viewers? Although Murphy used to star in many hit movies, his biggest recent role has been “Donkey” in the “Shrek” films, although Eddie was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for “Dreamgirls” back in 2006.

What do you think of Eddie Murphy as this year’s Oscar host – is it a great choice or a terrible choice? Post below and join us tonight for this debate at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN.

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. comprar perfumes baratos

Hello my loved one! I want to say that this article is amazing, great written and come with almost all significant infos. I'd like to peer more posts like this .

September 30, 2012 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. NYCMovieFan

Murphy is a much better choice than this year's show, but he really needs a sidekick, someone to talk at/to during the show. You know, that moment when Billy Crystal walked out last March was the only moment worth watching. We were hoping that he would say, fooled yah, I'm really the host! Hathaway was too busy changing outfits, and Franco clearly just wanted to go home – you need someone with people skills, quick wits, stage training and an interest in the movies to pull off the hosting job- things that this year's co-hosts did not have at all. I would invite a bunch of standup comedians – Crystal, Steve Martin, Jack Black, Bill Maher, Chis Tucker, Whoopi Goldberg, Robin Williams, Jerry Seinfeld – to make walkon appearances during the Oscar show and to support Eddie Murphy. He'll do fine, but he needs pals along the way to increase the surprise element and to keep us watching. And don't lean on lame stuff like social media – that's what you do when there's nothing better to do, so my advice to the producers is to be bigger than that dumb stuff. Should not be too difficult!

September 9, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. MomInRi

I actually think it a good idea. Oscar should be a fun party with lots of jokes. The host can't do a good job if he/she has to think about their Hugo Boss commercial image...:-) This is a good choice, if the writers pull it together.

September 9, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. DaveLucas427

Eddie's going to do a great job. And when it's all over, he can "PARTY ALL THE TIME, PARTY ALL THE TIME, PARTY ALL THE TIME!!"

September 9, 2011 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. TheRoyalPenis

Excellent!

September 8, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. eric

I think it will be good for new hollywood to get a taste of experienced hollywood. His wit and creatvitiy will hit a home run that night....especially if he gives us some of the BELOVED characters (costume and all) that night.

September 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Socrates

He was very funny in the 80s and 90s, now he is to stiff. not natural. Anyway, I don't care much about it.

September 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MadCityBabe

I prefer someone a tich more eloquent for the Oscars

September 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raw-fan

BEST CHOICE EVERRRRRRRRR! About time they picked someone who actually has real MC ability! This article failed to mention one of the greatest hosts of all time: BILLY F-ING CRYSTAL!

September 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jillmarie

I'm not a fan of his- I wish they would pick someones else, IMO.

September 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bill Reed

Murphy left in a Huff (that's a small Italian sports car) mid-ceremony after not winning an Oscar in 2006. I'm surprised that the MPAA is so forgiving. Or maybe they just have a short memory. The audience better yuk it up this year or Murphy might just take another flyer. Oscar writer Bruce Vilanch really has his hands full making Murphy (who hasn't been funny in years) come off as even remotely amusing.

September 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. KajinPL

I say it's a good choice. It would be great for him to be on stage again. Hopefully it will have save face a little from all the other setbacks in his career.

September 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jim holland

Go EDDIE! Great choice!

September 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lewis

He will be great. I'm actually looking forward to watching him host. Last year was so dry and canned.

September 8, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. AmazonBeauty

Eddie can be funny, but sometimes he can vulgar. Hope he can pullit off.

September 8, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  16. Lorene

I don't think Eddie Murphy has been funny in many years. If he pulls this off I will be shocked

September 8, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. mindybell

Eddie Murphy Named Next Academy Awards Host http://bit.ly/njMHCK

September 8, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  18. La Bori

I liked Eddie in the 80's, especially in Coming to America but ever since he dicked over Melanie B. with the whole paternity thing, I haven't been much of a fan. He may be funny onscreen but he seems to be an a** offscreen.

September 8, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

Yeah. He's been one of my favorites for a long time, but I don't think he can live that down anytime soon. He should have just stepped up on that one.

September 8, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Guest

Bad choice. Eddie Murphy has the ability to be really funny, and a good host. However the Oscars has to appeal to worldwide viewers too. Some of his jokes may not come across the way it is intended to global audience, rather than funny, they may come across offensive. If Mr. Oscar, Billy Crystal express an interest to host, the academy should have gone with him. He hosted the Oscar several times and understands how to reach across different cultures better. Besides Bob Hope, there isn't anyone who is linked to Oscar as closely as Billy Crystal. He would have been able to raise the rating of the Oscar better than any other possible host.

September 8, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Bully

Man, there are a lot of haters on here, but hate on, Eddie will MUCH better than Billy NOT funny Crystal!!

September 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

@Bully, I am not saying that Eddie Murphy has no potential to be a good host, only that his humor does not always come off the way he intends.

September 8, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sokman

What have you done for me lately Eddie?

September 8, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. Vin Heffernan

The most obvious choice this side of the 21st century. ultimate professional, extroardinary talent, who exemplifies the very best of Hollywood and what it has to offer. One of the most capable pairs of hands around doing a job that suits him, a match made of wishes and dreams, and a marriage made in heaven. The selectors got it right this time, congratulations all round.

September 8, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  22. janet

Eddie, my entire family will be cheering you on! bout time we got some talent to host the show!

September 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Val

Murphy will be great.

September 7, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Elenore

What's with all the ageism here? Eddie is going to be great, as long as he's not too polite. They already tried 'trendy' hosts, and that obviously didn't work. Can't wait to see what he'll come up with!

September 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. cyndy

cmon – of course he'll be good/excellent

September 7, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Seany

Eddie's reverence for old hollywood will no doubt be great for the Oscar's. He loved Jerry Lewis and old time comedy. His stand up routines are still quoted to this day. Amazingly, his clean stuff is the funniest parts. I don't know anybody who has ever been funnier than the great Eddie Murphy. He's off the cuff and can improvise. All he has to do is look at the camera with that Eddie Murphy look, at the opportune moment, and he'll have me rolling. Bob Hope could do the same thing, as well as Johnny Carson. Greatly underappreciated. So much greater than other big name comic actors like Sandler, Myers, Carrey, Carrel, Fey, etc. Although my dream host would have been Chris Farley. That would have been the most amazing train wreck, full of sweat, muttering, nervousness, and broken stage props.

September 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Ashley

Bad choice. Eddie Murphy is not even a good actor, not to mention he is a total a**.

September 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Filmsnork

Read what I have to say about the Eddie Murphy hosting duties on my new blog: http://filmsnork.blogspot.com/2011/09/coming-soon-otay-to-oscar.html

September 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Dean

whoopi goldberg is not funny, how she is famous is beyond me besides the movie Ghost, and even in that she cant act, a rock on stage with a happy face can get more laughs

September 7, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. lanray

You won't catch me watching Mr. Ego - arrogance reigns.

September 7, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bobby Mervy

Eddie don't save these elitist.

September 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Just a Fan

I think he would be hilarious at this job. He is a standup comedian and used to large crowds. I believe he has a natural ability to be funny and hold a crowd. Most upper teens and 20 year olds will have a chance to see a comic genius at work.. Ok Eddie the ball is in your court...!!!

September 7, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Over the Hill

There is absolutely no doubt that Eddie Murphy has enormous talent and will work the Oscars to submission. Talent always wins out.

September 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. 2Smokey

The Oscars have sunk from the top motion picture award show to try to be a comedy, but I guess ratings are more important than quality..
    But then, Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, etc. had class and dignity and hosted great Oscar shows, though they were comedians, they were also great hosts.

September 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  35. shinytoys

It's a miserable job and no one wants it...

September 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. mrs mas donus

He was excellent when he hosted the first time! He will certainly be much better than the hosts that they have had in recent years. I like Ann Hathaway and James Franco in films, but Oscar hosts, they are not.
    I say, give Eddie a chance!

September 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Inigo

I'm sorry but you are wrong; he has never hosted the oscars! I think its a great choice

September 8, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  37. Al

He should do wardrope changes from some of his characters in SNL, movies and stand-up. Like Mister Robinson, Buckwheat, Bill Cosby, Mr. T, Rasputia in "Norbit". Finally, the Oscars got someone who is interesting!!

September 7, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Anomic Office Drone

It's only a good choice if we get Raw Eddie Murphy and not Christmas with the Klumps Eddie.

September 7, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snarky

Raw Eddie Murphy died as soon as the 80s ended. RIP funny Eddie Murphy

September 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • state1205

I totally agree. I really want him to come out RAW. If Pluto Nash comes out, then I will have to turn.

September 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Evel Knievel

Great choice! For the 1983 Oscars.

September 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Victor

Great choice!!!!!

September 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Charlie Murphy

Yo my brother is one serious cat and I guarantee you he is going to bring back that hype to the Oscars that nobody ever seen before...think silver back!!

September 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • La Toya Hall

...so nice of you to support your brother! I think he's a great choice!

September 8, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Davita

Eddie Murphy ROCKS!! He always has and he always will! He is so talented and I honestly believes that he has not yet gotten the credit that he deserves for being so talented. Playing multiple characters and doing voice overs can not be pulled off by everybody. Eddie will shine just as he always has and there's nothing or nobody that can steal his shine. He will shine just that bright. God Bless!

September 12, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  42. Lori

Great choice! He's so funny. Been a fan of his since he started out!

September 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Happy Cow

MOOOO He was funny along time ago when he was a Saturday Night Live regular. He did a neat Mr. Rogers neighborhood. That was about 30 years ago though. Im an olderly Happy Cow. MOOOOOO. HAPPY MOOOOOS TO EVERYONE ! : )

September 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Snarky

Is this better than Anne "Terrible" Hathaway, and James "High Times" Franco? Probably, but only by a miniscule amount. That said, using Eddie Murphy for anything tends to be a pretty bad idea outside of the 1980s. Oh... and also, Firsty :P

September 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |