Beatles ‘1’ is No. 1 – again
September 7th, 2011

Beatles ‘1’ is No. 1 – again

Beatlemania never really dies, does it?

The Beatles album “1,” a collection of the Fab Four’s No. 1 hits that spent eight weeks as the nation’s No. 1 album in 2000 – and was the top-selling CD of the 2000-09 – premiered on iTunes Tuesday.

You won’t need eight days a week to predict where it debuted. Yep, in the top spot.

And not just in the United States. “1” also hit No. 1 in Canada, Japan, the Netherlands, Mexico, Sweden, Spain, New Zealand and Greece, according to a press release from Capitol/EMI. Not bad for an album of songs that are already available on iTunes, thanks to the release of the Beatles’ entire catalog two years ago.

Indeed, the Beatles have proven to be among iTunes’ biggest artists, along with such upstarts as Adele, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Lil Wayne. Worldwide, the band – which broke up more than 40 years ago – has sold more than 9 million songs and 1.5 million albums on the downloading service.

Leading the hit parade is nothing new for the Beatles. Over the course of the band’s career, the Liverpudlians had 20 songs and 19 albums hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts – including such post-breakup records as “1967-70” (the “Blue” album), all three “Anthology” CDs and, of course, “1.”

Artists will be paying tribute to John, Paul, George and Ringo over the next couple weeks, thanks to a Twitter hashtag - #MyBeatles1 – with which such folks as Coldplay and Foo Fighters will tweet about their favorite Beatles No. 1 single.

In a tweet released by the label to CNN.com, Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl cast his vote for “Hey Jude”: "Perhaps the greatest rock and roll anthem of all time. The one song that I'd send into space to help the aliens understand the human race.”

Coldplay went with “Something”: “Our favourite Beatles song is ‘Something.’ Because just when you thought Lennon and McCartney couldn't get any better, Harrison comes along and writes the best song of the lot.”

What’s toppermost of the poppermost on your Beatles chart?

1. Freddie

COME TOGETHER. Enough said.

April 30, 2013 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Buy Content

Wow, wonderful weblog layout! How long have you ever been blogging for? you made running a blog glance easy. The whole glance of your site is fantastic, let alone the content!

April 29, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dennybop

Maybe the surest sign of their genius is that it is impossible to name one single "best song". In fact it would be impossible to come up with a top ten-top twenty or top thirty that most could agree on.
    I'll add my two cents in and say *my* personal favorite is 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. I aint dumb enough to argue with anyone else's opinion.

October 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kloey

Wow, couldn't agree more. Very well said. My personal faves: Here Comes the Sun, Come Together, Help, Hey Jude.

October 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chas47

All you need is love, is a philosophy worth living too...

September 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NOT MY CHAIR

abbey road is still their best album, what a great flow that album has

September 23, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. NOT MY CHAIR

beatles, Adele, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Lil Wayne. which one seems out of place on this list?

September 23, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. coyote4611

If I had to pick only one, I'd go with Dave Grohl and say Hey Jude. A 3 minute song with a 4 minute singalong that builds and doesn't stop. Musically, lyrically, performance and production...it's pretty flawless.

September 22, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. kmd-57

"Day Tripper" for Harrison's guitar work and Ringo's tambourine. Also for just plain killer lyrics," Yesterday" and "The Long and Winding Road." Best live recording: "Twist and Shout" from "Live at the Hollywood Bowl."

September 22, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. wayne field

furthernore to chickadee jenny and cranberry sauce...the beatles are in a class that includes Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Hank Williams, Chuck Berry and so many others who will live forever through their music....nobody making music today will ever come close to membership in this elite club...you need to get your ears checked and if thats not the problem then you need serious psychological therapy...I truly feel sorry for you...

September 20, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. NickF

"All You Need Is Love... Love... Love" Three acts changed the face of pop music forever... The Beatles no doubt wrote the best tunes. They will be remebered as the twentieth century's version of the Johann Strausses (1 & 2)... Second act has to be Bob Dylan who wrote the finest lyrics od all time... He's the William Shakespeare of our generation. And finally Jimi Hendrix who changed the way a guitar's played forever. No historical comparison.

September 20, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Beatlearl

And the band plays on.

September 16, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TheAlex

I can't decide – honestly – Blackbird, Let It Be, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, In My Life, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps...

The most incredible part about their music is they created the perfect anthem for anything which anyone could face... Their songs can touch you in different ways no matter where you are in life or what you are going through. And you don't even realize it untill you are in that moment, with life going on all around you, that a Beatles song you haven't heard in years all of the sudden starts to play itself in you mind.... That's the magic of the Beatles. That's why they will always be #1

September 16, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Billy Shears

"It's All Too Much" off of Yellow Submarine is the best unknown Beatle song, and my current favorite. "Rain" and "You Never Give Me Your Money" are other perpetual faves.

September 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dan

Who are these other Con-Artists you people are talking about? They are why The Beatles can still outsell anyone today. You know, like SONGS with melodies & guitar riffs. Fab Four Forever!!!

September 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. CGA - Computer generated artists

Sad, there are people out there who think Justin Boober has talent.

September 14, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. Dan

Wouldn't be as popular today? THEY STILL outsell all these CON-ARTIST'S today. Something about GREAT songs! FAB FOUR FOREVER!!!

September 14, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. gary l weiss

i like ANY TIME AT ALL. as well as I'LL BE BACK

September 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Pat

Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd wouldn't have even existed if the Beatles hadn't "came along at the right time" as you say. They (Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd) would have been "widely ignored" (especially in the US) if the Beatles hadn't opened the door to British artists and worldwide talent. The Beatles inspired such groups to form bands and write their own songs and play their own instruments. Had the Beatles debuted in 1970 they would have been just as popular and Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, et al, would have still come along later following in their footsteps.

September 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Always_Amused

Well said! I agree completely! I am a HUGE fan of Led Zep and Floyd, but clearly, the Beatles blazed the trail that they later followed! Without the fab four, Led Zep, Floyd, Cream, and many others would have NEVER been offered record contracts!

September 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kloey

Agree completely! And all the bands that came after them (like Led Zepp, Floyd, Cream, etc – all of whom I love) repeatedly give props to the Beatles as their inspiration for picking up instruments in the first place and as creative inspiration to try and top them each time the Beatles came out with another new innovation such as Rubber Soul, Revolver or Sgt Pepper.

October 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mike H.

The Beatles came along at the right time. Had they debuted in 1970 they would have been overshadowed by the much deeper and more thought provoking lyrics of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. The Beatles would have been widely ignored.

September 12, 2011 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Always_Amused

I disagree! I am also a HUGE fan of Led Zep, Floyd, Moody Blues, Cream, etc. But, I strongly disagree that Zep and Floyd lyrics were any deeper or more thought provoking than the best songs of the fab four! There are many deep and thought provoking songs on Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, White album, Abbey Rd and Let it be! You haven't spent nearly enough time listening to the Fab Four and analyzing their lyrics! As they matured, so did their songs and concepts!

September 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jim

"In My Life," "Here Comes the Sun," and "Rain"

September 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. TuathaBlue

The Beatles at #1 never surprises me. I can't even imagine this lifetime without them.

September 10, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Rod Singleton

Oh, by the way I like all of You LOVE The Beatles & all the great songs#1 for Ever.

September 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rod Singleton

Alright The Beatles # 1 album is on itunes & can be downloaded to our players, & just to think the album has been in the stores for about 10 years now= Wonders will never cease!!!

September 8, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Virginia Staffa

This is a re-mastered version of the original 1 CD. I have that one too, but did order this one, because I've run the old one into the ground! Some of the songs actually skip. I didn't think that was possible on a CD...

September 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Foo's Fan

The tweet from Dave Grohl does not exist ... where did this supposed quote come from?

September 8, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  25. QUEEN

During their career (1962-1970) 6 Beatles' albums became the best selling album of all time (including "white album" which became the best double-album of all time).

September 8, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  26. Rock Singer

1's still hasn't surpassed "Thriller" as the best selling album of all time, but it's still on track to do just that.

September 8, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. Prince

michael jackson wasn't a musician. And only 32 songs are credited 'michael jackson' on his discography. (4 songs on 'thriller')

September 8, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

Michael Jackson was a vocalist and performer. He appreciated creative input from other talented people. That's what he was great at. Not to mention that he was a huge fan of The Beatles. Just like MJ, The Beatles made timeless music. Now that I think about back when in the Jackson 5 days with MJ, Smokey Robinson practically wrote nearly every song that came out of Motown Records. lOl

I have a lot of respect for those guys especially Ringo Starr. He's the maestro of the beat. lOl They will always remain in my playlist. Beatles will always be No. 1.

September 8, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • forever

Yes, Beatles were great but Obla di obla da kill me every time a heard it.
      Some of the songs are so stupid and meanless. It is not music to invite you to dance like Michael Jackson was.... the best.

September 12, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  28. suzycreamcheese

Dear Prudence

September 8, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  29. fake ratings

sorry but michael jackson will always be number one. no one has sold more albums then him ever. the second closet , ACDC is only at half , HALF of what he sold on one album, Thriller.

beat that.

September 8, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Where do you get your musical history knowledge? The Beatles are the biggest selling music act in history. Over 1 billion sales. Elvis is stll the biggest selling solo act. Check your guinness book of records.

September 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • arone64

I bought Thriller many years ego because there was Paul.That was main rason.And i am not only one.

September 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • I buried Paul

Fake ratings likes to make up fake numbers.

September 14, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  30. Evan

For me, the best Beatles song is between Hey Jude and "You've Got To Hide Your Away", which might be John's best. As for George's best, I disagree with Coldplay – I think "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" takes the cake. The acoustic version on Anthology is haunting, and Clapton's guitar work on the canon version is the best on any Beatles song.

September 8, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  31. Chickadee Jenny

What's the big fuss over the Beatles? I mean, seriously! If they were around today they'd never be popular. Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Britney are true talents who are way more better than the Beatles ever thought of being!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Yes, I'm sure we can all agree that, if they traveled through time, the band would simply throw in the towel when confronted by the fact that "they'd never be popular" in a world populated by such "true talents who are way more better than the Beatles ever thought of being" as Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Britney.

I mean, how can anyone argue with such a logical and well-presented case for "way more better" "true talents"?

I anxiously look forward to the chart-topping career retrospectives that I'm now sure are coming in 2050 for Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Britney.

September 8, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • chris

...Your everything that's wrong with the world.
      'True Talent' ? Those s l u t s have the collective talent of one of John Lennon's finger nails.

September 8, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • We are Fab

True talent ?!?
      BWAH-HA HA HA HAA !
      Seriously ? The Beatles are light years ahead of those late-comers, kid.

September 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Katy Perry?..Rihanna...Britney?...wow....true talents?....man,shouldn't you be in school right now anyway....???..I forgot how well they all play all of their own instruments,and have been relevant for over 50 years....silly me.....

September 9, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Imagine

Oh yes, "hit me baby one more time" and "i kissed a girl and I liked it" display so much raw musical talent. Such indepth knowledge of music. Because Katy Perry and Rihanna have composed in album that flows seemlessly into the next song. Oh wait.. that was Abbey Road by the beatles, silly me.

Let me try that again, Rihanna has created songs that have stood the test of time and have actually meant something. Like "imagine", "let it be", or "revolution". Wait... that was the Beatles

September 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • DMF1120

Let's see Chickadee. The Beatles were the first band to record predominantly their own songs on their initial couple of albums and then ENTIRELY their own songs on the majority of their recordings as well as playing most of the instruments. With a little help from their friend (pun intended) created 8-track recording. Sgt Pepper so stunned their contemporaries that Brian Wilson shelved Pet Sounds for years because he felt inadequate after listening to that masterpiece. And of course they are still influencing the music industry though they haven't put out any thing significant in forty years. Let's check back win 2050 and see if folks are still talking about Kate Perry and Lady Gaga.

September 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beatlefan_4ever

Jenny, If not for the innovations developed by the Beatles (the overlaying of track on track, etc), today's artists wouldn't be around. Where would Britney, Christina, the boy bands and even some rappers be without the autotune. Still waiting for something to make them sound like they have talent. The Beatles helped build the foundation of what music is today.

September 10, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
    • motleyhoople

You're obviously either 12 years old, or you have the mentality of a 12 year old.

September 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ISeeWhatChaDid

Nice Trolling!

September 11, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Hysterical

Chickadee – You poor young clueless thing. If it wasn't for the music revolution created by the Beatles, your list of current lowly wannabes would not even exist! Katy, Rhianna and Britany WISH they had a fraction the talent shown by the Beatles!
      They are not even close! ....

September 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • stormcrow

If it wasn't for the Beatles you wouln't be hearing these people today. the Beatles changed pop music and how the public listen to it

September 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

oh chickadee, chickadee, chickadee, what to do with you? John, Paul, George and Ringo, if around to day, couldn't hold a candle to Ree Ree's steamy outfits or enlarged rump, or even Britney's flaming blond hair and steam bath antics, or Katy's "Fireworks" world. you are so right! that's true talent! Who cares about the music, right? even if the Betales would sound better than them playing under water. I reckon if they had size 36D's, packing better racks, with modern lip gloss, they would have been so much more popular than they were. Just like your girls!

September 14, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Cranberry Sauce

********Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Britney are true talents who are way more better than the Beatles ever thought of being!!!!

I feel sorry for this chick.
      The Beatles revolutionised modern music.
      Todays artists (Like the ones above) can be made to sound good, just run em through a computer
      instant pop star.........
      Just garbage.
      But thats the crap being fed to people today, so they dont know any better.

September 14, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?!?

"way more better" pretty much sums it up.

September 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • wayne field

i cant believe you said that...a few years from now nobody will remember those people...the beatles music will be loved and played forever everywhere always...

September 20, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Dennybop

I couldn't have said it better myself, Chickadee Jenny. But then I'm a notorious troll.

October 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. OOTCK

So many fav's, I couldn't just pick 1. I still have my old Beatles albums! Do they still make turn tables?

September 7, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Joe

My number one wouldn't be one of their singles – though all of those are 'gear' – but rather an LP cut like "I Will" (Paul), "Tomorrow Never Knows" (John), "Long, Long, Long" (George) or "Don't Pass Me By" (Ringo).

In my book, they're *all* Number 1, now and forever.

September 7, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. A.D and Zee

Yes, what Happy Cow said. Also luv the one by John Lennon that gets played, come Christmas time. You know, the one with the chorus 'War is over...'

September 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. FIX IN TX

I agree with your picks & David Grohl's too. Have a moootastic night Happy Cow!

September 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Happy Cow

: ) MOOOOOOO : )

September 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Happy Cow

I still thunk the LET IT BE album is happy. So is LUCY IN THE SKY and COME TOGETHER. Those are good happy strawberry fields forever songs. Hearing happy songs like those make me so sad the way life and everything in the world has turned out. But I am a happy moo cow in the happy field! : ) : ) mooooo : ) : )

September 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Robert

Back when The Beatles first hit America (and The World), we KNEW it would be The Fab Four Forever, and we have been proved to be right!

September 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |