Baz Luhrmann's 'Great Gatsby' begins production
September 7th, 2011

Baz Luhrmann's 'Great Gatsby' begins production

The star-studded cast of “The Great Gatsby” has arrived in Sydney, Australia to start production on Baz Luhrmann’s 3-D vision of the American classic, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The cast of the anticipated adaptation includes Leonardo DiCaprio (as Jay Gatsby), Tobey Maguire (as Nick Carraway), Carey Mulligan (as Daisy Buchanan), and Isla Fisher (as Myrtle Wilson), among other talent. The movie began production on Monday.

The adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's Long Island-set novel has a $126 million dollar budget. Filming will take place over 17 weeks, with over 400 cast and crew working on the movie. Another 30 weeks will be spent on post-production.

Luhrmann will “create his own distinctive visual interpretation of the classic story, bringing the period to life in a way that has never been seen before," said Warner Bros. Pictures of the big budget film. (Warner Bros. is owned by the same parent company as CNN.) Locations in Sydney are being transformed to replicate the Jazz Age New York and Long Island spots in the book.

One way the director is bringing "Gatsby" to life is by shipping in a fleet of vintage cars from Volo Auto Museum in Illinois. The vehicles reportedly include two 1929 Duesenbergs and a 1929 Packard (to be used by DiCaprio's Jay) – rumored to be worth nearly $3 million each.

“Fitzgerald’s story defies time and geography. The vision and the goal of our remarkable cast and creatives is to do justice to the deftness of Fitzgerald’s telling, and illuminate its big ideas and humanity. This is our challenge and our adventure,” said Luhrmann of shooting in his native Australia.

The film reportedly qualifies for a 40 percent rebate on the production budget from the Australian government, an incentive to produce movies Down Under.

Luhrmann (“Moulin Rouge,” “Romeo + Juliet”) is directing “The Great Gatsby” as well as co-writing, co-producing and co-designing the movie through his company, Bazmark Films.

“The Great Gatsby” is expected to be released November 2012.

1. a property affair

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I had been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered bright transparent concept

May 24, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Anomic Office Drone

Who keeps giving this no-talent joke funding for more movies?

September 8, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. movie avoider

Sorry...I should have said Sam Waterston

September 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. movie avoider

3D! WOW I will be sure to see the murder of a classic book....woohoo...NOT NOT NOT! Why dont you come up with somethng ORIGINAL!! Since when did plagurizing someone else's work such a great thing to do. I know I will AVOID that theater. What a waste of time and energy. LOSERS! I will stay home instead and read the book again or watch the only version woth watching with Sam Watterson and Robert Redford...aaaaawww

September 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sandra

Carey Mulligan as Daisy?! You have GOT to be kidding me. She is one of the homeliest people I have ever seen! Charlize Theron would have been perfect for the role, or even Natalie Portman. The audience needs to feel empathetic towards Gatsby and I just don't think he has it. Ryan Gosling with his puppy dog eyes might have been a good choice. Even Matt Damon. Tobey McGuire as Nick however is a great choice.

September 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BLUTO

And Johnny Depp as the beaver.

September 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. NYCMovieFan

Sad that the real Long Island house that inspired Fitzgerald was demolished in April 2011 – just a fraction of this movie money could have saved it – but a developer wanted the land, so the historic mansion was torn down. And isn't the cast of this movie too old for the roles (other than Mulligan)? May be 10 years ago, diCaprio and Maguire would have been fine choices, but not any longer. The tragedy of the novel was the early promise and dream of each person being lost – but this cast seems beyond that stage in life, and hard to see them playing younger. Cannot understand the plans for this film at all. Sad, sad, sad.

September 8, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sandy

All I need to know is that Leonardo DeCraprio is in a movie to avoid it like the plague. 'Manboy' cannot act IMO and stinks up just about every movie he's in. DeCraprio for the fail. The rest of the line up doesn't inspire either. How about being adventurous and going with an unknown instead of producing just another yawnfest of a remake. Gonna be tough to top Redford as it is but DeCraprio? Just laughable.

September 8, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. j

The Greater Gatsby?

September 8, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ted

crazy11, I'm sure your boycotting of 3D will get the studios to sit up and take notice. Michael Bay is quivering in his boots right now.
    betty, you're an idiot. "ethnicity" is race. Luhrmann is white. You want "nationality". Moron.

September 8, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Ty

Tedd, I don't speak for betty, but I believe she was making an allusion to the similar arguments that are made about films closely associated with a particular ethnicity and being directed by someone not from that ethnic group. I don't think that The Great Gatsby is necessarily a caucasion only story anyway. It is traditionally a very iconic American tale, but I'm likewise not sure that its message is limited to an American perspective.

Since it seems few people still read these days I'm just excited that this might actually expose a few of them in some way to a great piece of American Literature.

September 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. betty

You know how everyone gets offended when a person of another ethnicity dares to meddle in material not native to them ? Can't we find an American to direct this decidedly American film? And judging from the disaster "Australia" this could be a trainwreck. That was the worst movie.

September 8, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. crazy11

I will not pay to see this if they make it in 3D, Im sick of 3D and the money gouging on ticket prices just becuase. They will not see one dollar of my money just to prove a point. I hope every summer blockbuster that comes out next year suffers becuase they are doing them all in 3D.

September 8, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

So, instead of $100,000,000 the movie will end up making $99,999,990. Oooooh, way to take a stand!

September 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Namaste

Decaprio drive a gas guzzler? Thought he would demand a Prius.

September 8, 2011 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sokman

The 3D I can do without, but The Great Gatsby is a great story. Just hope Decaprio doesn't stink it up like Romeo & Juliet

September 8, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

LOL I saw you used the word 'stink' in reference to DeCraprio .... I had to laugh cos I wrote my comment and then went back to read everyone else's and thought it divine that others think DeCraprio stinks too. I don't know how he keeps worming his way onto movie sets.

September 8, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Um...DiCaprio was the entire reason Romeo and Juliet was a success. Get a clue on talent and acting in general. He and Claire Danes made that movie.

September 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tracie

can I have cow pies for dessert when I come visit?

September 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Happy Cow

A 3D Great Gatsby ! MOOOOOO ! : ) Im a moo cow and I even think that is just a tad bit goofy. : ) : ) Happy MOOOOS to everyone. Maybe things will get better for everybody. If not you can come visit me in the happy green pasture. : ) moooooo : )

September 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Snarky

Wowzers, a 3d remake? How, f-ing, original. I like how this article called it a "vision" rather than a remake.

September 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |