Anderson Cooper scores exclusive with Winehouse family
September 7th, 2011

Anderson Cooper scores exclusive with Winehouse family

CNN's Anderson Cooper is debuting his new daytime talk show on Monday, September 12 and he's announced his first guests.

Cooper will sit down for an exclusive interview with the parents and boyfriend of Grammy winner Amy Winehouse, who was found dead at the age of 27 in her North London home this past July.

Mitch and Janis Winehouse will discuss their daughter’s very public battle with substance abuse and how they have been coping since her death.

According to a press release about the show, the pair are hopeful that in speaking out about the realities of addiction they will be able to reach other families dealing with similar situations.

Anderson is also slated to talk to Winehouse’s boyfriend, film director Reg Traviss, about her state of mind before her passing.

Other guests later in the week include comedienne Kathy Griffin, Snooki, Sarah Jessica Parker and the cast of  "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Judy

Anderson - I've been a fan of yours all along, but am disappointed to see you join in the general sleaze that is daytime television.

September 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ruff Ruffman

ANDERSON COOPER?! At least I am not taking his truth away from this gentleman. Amy Winehouse! I have a picture of u in all black clothing on my phone and laptop.

September 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. t.hanksandhulceaddict

Lord, Amy! You brought that crappy alcohol and drugs all on yourself. What were you thinking?

September 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tammy

I so agree with "Disapointed + The Donald" There are so many haters of
    AMY WINEHOUSE. U talk with people + that's all u hear is how trash she was.
    Really, her personal troubles should take away her unique talent? AW.. I THINK NOT! It is so OLD! Incase U haters hate 2 HEAR this U CAN'T TAKE A TALENTED artist + say that's TRASH? She didn't win 5 Grammys 4 nothing!!!! Right is right! AMY deserved to be acknowledged 4 her Talent. All u close minded idots look farther than than ur own back door+ give it a rest. U don't k crap about nothing. Further more they should all b ashamed of themselves, she had issues don't we all?? I JUST DON'T GET IT!! HOW SAD...I personally LOVED AMY RIP AMY fed u with ignorance people.I wouldnt miss Coopers
    interviews he rocks!

September 11, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Clark

I so agree with "disapointed + The Donald" There are so many haters of Winehouse. U talk with people + that's all u hear is how trash she was. It is so OLD! Incase U haters hate 2 HEAR this U CAN'T TAKE A TALENTED artist + say that's TRASH? She didn't win 5 Grammys 4 nothing!!!! Right is right! AMY deserved to be acknowledged 4 her Talent. All u close minded idots look farther than than ur own back door+ give it a rest. U don't k crap about nothing. Further more they should all b ashamed of themselves, she had issues don't we all?? I JUST DON'T GET IT!! HOW SAD...I personally LOVED AMY RIP AMY fed u with ignorance people.I wouldnt miss Coopers interviews he rocks!

September 11, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Clark

I so agree with "disapointed." There are so many haters of Winehouse. U talk with people + that's all u hear is how trash she was. It is so OLD! Incase U haters hate 2 HEAR this U CAN'T TAKE A TALENTED artist + say that's TRASH? She didn't win 5 Grammys 4 nothing!!!! Right is right! AMY deserved to be acknowledged 4 her Talent. All u close minded idots look farther than than ur own back door+ give it a rest. U don't k crap about nothing. Further more they should all b ashamed of themselves, she had issues don't we all?? I JUST DON'T GET IT!! HOW SAD...I personally LOVED AMY RIP AMY fed u with ignorance people.

September 11, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. mija

I have always like Anderson Cooper, i support his show but hope he finds better stories to cover as the weeks go on... I think the majority of the world could care less about addicts like Winehouse, Lohan and Spears! Snooki? Really Cooper?!? If running ur mouth, dressing trashy and drinking too much makes celebrities, we need to go back to the age of Judy Garland when being in the spotlight meant better public personna!

September 11, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. KathySanDiego

Anderson Cooper is an awesome reporter and probably weary of only tragedy. Cut him some slack. He never used the Vanderbilt to get ahead, he did it on his own. If you don't like the guest don't watch. Snooki no way, Kathy Griffin absolutely. Next time you want to try something new I guess you better get permission from we whack job CNN bloggers. I love you AC!!!

September 10, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mfr

Too bad Anderson has decided to join the ranks of all the other washed up daytime interviewers. He will not be under a new lens. People will not respect his evening reporting.

September 10, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bucktooth

I DO NOT understand why Kathy Griffin is famous for anything! Idiot!

September 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. the cracked pipe

Next they say go to rehab you should just go.... go.... go

September 9, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. In my opinion

Score a week one interview with Gadhafi I'd be impressed. But Snooki?!?!

September 9, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. Hot Summer isn't it

Feeling like a pickle, this is the greatest moment of my life and yet I am gassy.

September 9, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. lena

Now why in the world u would have Snooki?? She is NOT famous at ALL.......Explain this please

September 9, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. Gary Villani

Break a leg, Anderson. You're a born entertainer/(in)credible journalist!
    Here's a question I have to ask...since I assume you're having someone comb through these comments for the cream of the crop...

September 9, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  16. The Donald

Who really cares? This girl, (for a reason you or the ones close to her may never know) is dead. Pain is what created her and what destroyed her.
    People are flawed, no divinity...sorry!
    How about start treating EVERYONE better, and start the long process of slowing down the self destructive paths people travel.

September 9, 2011 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. jolene

Amy Winehouse was inspiring and its a damn shame that addiction took her, like so many other inspirational artists. May she now be at peace and continue to inspire other aspiring artists because she was beautiful and unique!

September 9, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  18. mauri cooper

Anderson is Awesome watch 360 ALL THE TIME AND HAVE READ HIS BOOK MOMMY DIDNT GET HIM WERE HE IS HE IS VERY SMART YOU PEOPLE SHOULD READ HIS BOOK YOU WOULD LEARN ALOT ABOUT THE REAL MAN

September 9, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  19. Disappointed

Why, Anderson why??

September 9, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. pat

Anderson is hot

September 9, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  21. chuck

Is he a reporter or paparazzi?

Anderson, you sir, are a joke.

September 8, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. WilmaWonka

I love Anderson and wish him well.

Snookie is not famous and I can't stand her but she's been on Anderson's Ridiculist so many times I think the interview will be a hoot.
    The Winehouse family is probably very willing to finally come forward. It's my understanding that they want people to think well of their girl. I think they want to stress that she was getting clean and they believe that she ultimately died from withdraw.
    Kathy Griffin and Anderson are old friends so I think that interview will be fun.
    SJP? same as Kathy Griffin.
    Lots of new shows/interviewists have easy first weeks. I think Winehouse is the only hard hitting interview. The rest are just fun and there's nothing wrong with that.

BTW, yes, his mother is a Vanderbilt but his father was a very good writer. Anderson is a good journalist and I doubt that his mother had to pull many strings if any, for him to get a gig.

September 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. John

Snookie is still not famous by the way?

September 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jeepers

I hope he asks her mother about the comments she made long before Amy's death resigning herself to the inevitability of it. I just can't imagine ever giving up on one of my kids like that...ever. And I hope he asks her dad if he might have been in denial about everything being all right. I know it must be very hard to have someone you love going through that, but there's usually something at the root of it. Most of the time it leads back to the parents. That being said, I'm a parent and I'm well aware how easy it is to make mistakes that could very well screw them up for life.

September 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mordac

Wow, what hard-hitting journalism!

September 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Elizabeth

Really Anderson??? Snooki, Kathy Griffin, the housewives???? I used to like your style... but i think no more :(:(

September 8, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  27. Kevin

The question I want to hear is what happened in her youth that drove her to this. You can hear the pain in her voice in every song, and I'm betting there is a lot behind the addictions. Her whole persona was one of someone who suffered major physical or emotional stress in her youth

September 8, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  28. erich2112x

Hey, is Anderson gonna' have those DNA tests on his show, the one's to find out who the Dad is? I like those.

September 8, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  29. ACgeyboi

After Snooki, Kathy Griffin et al as first week guests I am sure he'll be wondering why no one takes him seriously as a 'journalist'

September 8, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  30. Rolyat

Anderson Cooper being the son of Gloria Vanderbuilt and coming from a wealthy family has given him a wonderful career. I'm not saying he did not work his way up to his current status. But being a Vanderbuilt certainly got him to the top much quicker. A CNN contract and now his own daytime talk show. His net worth is in excess of $300 million. Not sure why he needs two jobs. He already has fabulous wealth.

September 8, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  31. Sokman

Winehouse couldnt die quick enough for the media. They'd prefer to be running these stories on Lindsey or Brittney, as they would provide bigger ratings, but Amy will have to do. Heartless media b*st*rds.

September 8, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  32. smitty

Great journalist

September 8, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  33. Arivera201150@yahoo.com

I dont believe that anderson cooper is capitalizing on tragedy unlike a certain politician rudy giulani whenever he for office all he talks about is what he did on 911.when anderson cooper speaks he speaks from the heart.mr. Cooperis one of the few journalists left that speaks the truth. he is not afraid to speak his mind.thats a quality very few reporters have.keep up the good work.well done

September 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jerome

talk about jobs and how turm limits would shake up things it should not only be for obama but for all in gov

September 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. *** Dude ***

Does being dead suck?

September 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jo

Chuck, thanks for the comment about the keyboards.:)

September 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  37. UNCLE CHARLIE

Bring back the 60s!!!

September 7, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  38. chuck

nemo. why didnt they get an interview?? most of them are dead.. duh

September 7, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. mejazzbo

Giggle me this, is Anderson Cooper following Katie Couric in aggressively climbing down the ladder of professional journalism? Sure looks like it.

September 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. HATERS

GET A LIFE GUZ JEALOUSEY ISNT BECOMING ANDERSON COOPER TALKS TO HIS FANS DONT LIKE STICK YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND

September 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. nemo

Timothy Leary's dead! Elvis was a dope head. So was kurt cobain,andrew wood,most of the brady bunch,some of the partridge family...the manson family....and who could forget....steve-o! Why didn't any of these people get an interview? I'm confused!

September 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  42. rob

billy. are you coming out of the closet?

September 7, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Billy Bueno

If he had the balls he would have gay haters on
    And he could rip apart the idiots.
    Now he just put himself into the celebrity profile like
    .....Unfortunately snooki.

September 7, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Chuck Beard

I've always had alot of respect for Anderson as a journalist. Except for Winehouse's family and Sarah Jessica Parker, I'm stunned that he's starting off the series with such low-life guests. Doesn't look hopeful for Anderson....

September 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

It's sad that you have such a harsh opinion of Amy, she was someone's daughter, she had terrible issues, shame on you for being so nasty, & then you wonder what is wrong with people, have you no heart?

September 9, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  45. Kdawg

And he's jumped the shark.

September 7, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  46. lil wayne

aint nuttin wong wit drugs. ho jus did to much fo sho. go by my abum. it hot. dogg

September 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  47. william gundry

Having lost our dear son to drugs a feveryw months ago, I can closely relate to the devestation caused by addiction.

September 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ruthie

Like it or not, snooki's famous. For now.

September 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Pen

What? He's going to ruin what he had on AC360. Why when journalists get popular do they want to start their own daytime talk show. After Oprah going for over 20 years, I've had enough.

September 7, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Say it ain't so

Bring disco back

September 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  51. guilable

AC is cool.

September 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  52. John

Snookie is not famous!

September 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike F.

I don't care much for her either, but the fact that we all know who you're talking about without benefit of her last name seems to prove otherwise

September 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  53. aly

Well we have to help does who can't help them self bottom line, drugs is a very hard addiction

September 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. alecia

Thats not a very impressive week 1 lineup!

September 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Snarky

This guy sure loves to capitalize on tragedy. Makes his name in Katrina and now he "scores" an interview with a dead celebrity's family.

September 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  56. cg

Firsty!

September 7, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  57. sandra

you're an idiot

September 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  58. BarbC

And wouldn't that be "whom he blew"?

September 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  59. lol

You only use proper grammar if you use proper technique. Don't forget to play with the balls.

September 9, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |