'True Blood': Original Eric is the best Eric
September 6th, 2011

'True Blood': Original Eric is the best Eric

[Editor's Note: Yes, we're a little late with this one, but it's because we wanted to savor it. By the way: This post contains spoilers for the September 4 episode of HBO’s “True Blood."]

Season 4’s penultimate episode was a real barn burner. There were some great moments, as well as a setup for the finale that had me clutching my pearls. "True Blood," I’m really going to miss you when you go.

At Moon Goddess, Sookie told Marnie that the vampires were prepared to attack and a freak out commenced. When one young witch tried to escape, Marnie killed her. Antonia had an “Aha!” moment and once again vacated Marnie.

She confronted Marnie over what she’d done, and only Lafayette could see both sides of their conversation. Marnie cast a binding spell to force Antonia to stay with her – double your power, double your trouble, you know? Although Antonia fought the spell, Marnie ultimately won.

But Jesus had a plan! He pretended the dead witch was still alive and told Marnie he could try and save her. While Holly and Sookie tried to talk Marnie off a ledge, Jesus went about gathering ingredients for a powerful spell that would draw Antonia out.

Outside, Jason stopped the vampires from blowing up the building after recounting everything Sookie had done for them. Bill and Eric agreed to come up with a backup plan that Pam strongly disagreed with. The lady has a way with words, no?

Marnie later decided she wanted to negotiate. She agreed to let Sookie go, but only if Bill and Eric committed suicide. And it really looked like it was going to happen – Sookie even broke out the ugly cry for the occasion.

Her sadness was short-lived when Pam took matters into her own hands and fired a rocket at the building. Her efforts backfired – literally – when Marnie’s wall of protection repelled the explosion, leaving Jason badly burned. Jessica healed him and they made up, so there’s your moment of squee for the episode.

Elsewhere, Sam continued on his quest to find Marcus and avenge Tommy’s death. He and Alcide had no luck at the bike shop until Luna showed up in a rage saying that Marcus had abducted Emma.

Emma later called her mom from Alcide’s house, where Marcus stopped by to persuade Debbie to run away with him. Despite his promise of children, she declined his offer and said that she couldn’t leave Alcide. Can you blame her?

The boys showed up and Sam and Marcus fought. Sam took the high road and spared Marcus’ life. Marcus then attempted to shoot Sam but he was stopped when Alcide tackled him and crushed his windpipe. Hot. He also broke up with Debbie, who immediately went into meltdown mode.

And then there’s the sad tale of Andy Bellefleur. Remember poor, criminally underused Andy Bellefleur? He’s kind of flown under the radar this season because up until Sunday, it seemed that he’d been stuck with the short straw when it came to storylines.

Briefly: Andy had been nursing a season-long V addiction until last week’s episode, when Arlene and Terry discovered his habit. Terry drove Andy out to the middle of nowhere to give him a stern talking-to and then left him there to think about what he’d done.

You’re now caught up. Lame, right? Well steel yourselves, because it gets worse.

So on Sunday, as Andy made his way through the woods, a light appeared that could only mean one thing: fairies. So much ugh, you guys.

Anyhow, out of the light appeared a fairy named Mirella and she made Andy vow to protect her by taking part in some dumb ceremony that would have even E.T. facepalming. Then they had sex. Good for Andy, I guess.

So, what, the fairies are now on a crusade to bring Sookie back to their world and Andy’s going to help them do it? Whatevs. Andy arrived home after the encounter and overshared with Arlene, who thought he was crazy.

Back at Moon Goddess, Marnie looked into a pool of the dead witch’s blood and asked to see the future. When she saw herself with a bullet between the eyes, she ordered everyone to participate in a spell that, unbeknownst to them, lured the vamps toward her wall of protection, which just so happened to be made of sunlight.

Jason beamed his thoughts to Sookie, who then fairy-blasted the circle and broke the spell cast against the vampires. Marnie then punished her with a spell from Johnny Cash’s Big Book of Witchcraft and encircled her in a ring of fire.

Meanwhile, Jesus’ spell worked and he freed not only Sookie and Antonia, but he broke Marnie’s protection spell as well, giving the vampires access to Moon Goddess.

When Bill and Eric entered to kill Marnie, Roy – the most loyal little witch there ever was – told them if they wanted to get to Marnie they'd have to go through him. Eric took him up on his offer and ripped his heart out. The cherry on the cake of my life was when he drank from one of the valves like it was a straw. Let there be no question, Original Eric is the best Eric.

Bill made quick work of killing Marnie, but with one episode remaining there’s still plenty of fun to be had as her soul resurfaced at Lafayette’s later that night and possessed him.

I’m totally amped for the finale, especially after last season’s lackluster end. What did you think of Sunday's episode? Care to make any predictions for this season’s cliffhanger? Place your bets in the comments!

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood • TV recaps

1. Looking Boyfriends Online

Hello there, just become alert to your weblog thru Google, and found that it is truly informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate should you proceed this in future. A lot of people shall be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

June 15, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JohnnyBKK

I know this is late but hopefully the editors will view this. TOTAL RECAP. This doesn't discuss anything about Eric's character and how it relates to Sookie. I bookmarked this to read later since I was behind in viewing. OMG what a waste to do that. Just blah, blah, blah about what happened in the episode. Rehash, not substance. Thankfully TB is over until next Summer and I won't blow it reading junk on here.

September 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kobella

I agree – the original Eric is the best Eric! I hope Marnie is gone for good – so sick of her character. Hope that Jason & Jessica can get together more – bring it on!

September 11, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. kittaru

i want more warewolves – i think its going to be a fight to have Alcide as packmaster(as he is in the books). If you have read the books, Sookie is still with Eric.. and their relationship is just awesome. I want the whole witch thing to be over though, its old and just boring now. We need a season of the warewolves fighting it out :)

September 9, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mxp5769

I really have had enough of the witch & fairy crap. The shifters (including werewolves) havent gotten as much play but seem much more interesting than what has been getting all the attention. Glad Marnie is gone gone GONE! Nan needs to go away too...she's getting really boring. We'll have to see how things wrap up..... : )

September 9, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Emma

I'm afraid the season ender will have Sookie looking at both Eric and Bill, trying to decide which to choose. Then we'll have to wait 9 months to find out! I have no idea what Andy and the fairy is all about. Love that Alcide abjured Debbie so she can go crazy on Sookie!

September 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Amie

I still want Eric and Sookie together. I liked Bill in the begining, but she has better fire with Eric. Bill cheated on Sookie alot.

September 9, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rich

I hope that Sookie and Alcide don't hook-up, that would basically make her a paranormal party favor. Alcide will become the new pack-master, anything involving Jessica will be awesome because she is so rocking hot and has become more fun in the last couple of episodes "just as long as I get to kill something" was a great line and having the rocket launcher was perfect. Good to see that Eric is back, I like him teaming with Bill. Pam and Jessica will make a good Thelma and Louise team, I could see the two of them forced to go on a quest together. Hopefullly Sookie gets taken by the fairies so we don't have to put up with her whinyness.... Andy can fill the comedic role especially if it speeds the sending of Sookie to Fairyland. Tara, Lafayette and Jesus should get something fun to do next season. The old smart ass Tara needs to come back, this hand-clutching damsel in distress Tara is getting almost as tiresome as Bill and Sookie. Hoyt could turn dark and angry (be an interesting pairing of him and his mother as antivamp villians). Thank god that Jason is done with the were-cats. They bugged me. He would make an interesting Sheriff while Andy is continueing his melt down...

September 9, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sandy

Love this series but enough of the gross blood and guts – keep the one liners that make us laugh! Sorry, but Bill needs to be killed off – I am so over him and definitely don't want to see a 3-some with him, Eric and Sooke. Now, Alcide, Eric and Sooke ... yummy! Bill just looks weird and fake all the time. Let's get back to the real story line of the books. I like the fairies, and want to see more fairy blood show up in Jason and would love to digress more to "the other side". Also, Pam needs to gain weight – she is just "dying" to eat in real life – she should do it – she looks awful this thin.

September 8, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brinda

I thought that it was the best yet. Can't wait for the last episode. Next season should be a real barn burner.

September 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BG

Cliff hangers.... something is going to happen with LaFayette and Jesus that will make us kick the tv because we have to wait until next season. Hoyt has got to witness something going on with Jason and Jess. Pam, if Eric and her don't make up, I can see her either team up with Ms. Pelt to go after that "g___ in a sundress" or finally make herself a child which is against what Eric would allow. Bill will be business as usual. I don't see anything hanging with him nor the witches. Now that the Fae are back, something has got to happen with Sookie that will send Eric and Bill in a tizzy until next season. Alcide, now that he killed the packmaster will have to deal with the rest of the pack, his life may be what is hanging until next season.

September 7, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CK

tired of the Bill character, truly.

September 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Susan

I thought this was the best episode so far. There was a lot going on (which I love) and thrilled that Eric is no longer acting like a 12 year old child. When Sookie was with him, it seemed more like a mother-son relationship. That made everything they did together seem "icky" to me. It was evident he was 100% back, when he drank out of dip weeds heart, like it was a cherry coke.

September 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CK

The best part of the whole episode was Eric drinking out of the heart. We were dying! So great to have Eric back. The show is just so much fun, not deep, just pure popcorn fun! I hope the finale has us literally hanging on the edge of our seats! Will be a long 9 or 10 month wait for next season!

September 7, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Poodlegirl

Here we go, cliffhanger prediction. Hoyt catches wind of J. and J.s love in a truck...Jesus has to harm his squeeze to get rid of Marnie...Eric kills Pam and goes into a nosedive...Bill walks in on a Sookie and Alcide hookup (Yeah !!!)Fairies become the new nasty bunch...the fun just keeps on coming.

September 7, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • CalifGina

Eric telling Pam to get lost was probably the most significant event of the episode – and no mention? I found that moment very upsetting, I love their relationship and hope it is not irrevocably damaged! Pam rocks! Loving having old Eric back, but still waiting to see if his time with Sookie had an impact...

September 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jo

The scene with Eric using the heart as a juice box was the best scene in a long time. Gotta love original Eric. I hate that the season is just getting good as it nears the end.

September 7, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  17. brittany phillips

I hope none off the main ppl get killed off esp eric he my favorite kill of the with tho I hate her lol I was disappoint when her spirt entered the one guy on there

September 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Another child left behind
      Try reading what you write. If you can't make sense of it no one else can.

September 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. brittany phillips

Kill the witch off keep. Eric

September 6, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. RS

I liked it. I really did like Eric sucking blood out of that heart valve like it was a straw. I laughed over that. I like both versions of Eric. Curious to see about the whole Andy situation, I really enjoyed this season, it's been really cool.

September 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |