Bruce Springsteen, street performer?
September 6th, 2011

Bruce Springsteen, street performer?

You never know who that guy playing music on the sidewalk might be! Bruce Springsteen has been spotted busking in Boston, reports the Boston Globe.

It seems that Springsteen and wife Patti Scialfa were dropping their son off at Boston College last week. While in town, they dropped by the Public Gardens on Thursday and listened to street musician David Gonzalez play the Spanish guitar.

The couple quickly left after attracting attention, but returned to hear more.

“About 30 minutes later, he came back and we had a long conversation,” Gonzalez said. The Argentine-born guitarist told The Boss he tried to see him in concert once, but didn’t have the money.

When asked to play, Springsteen declined, but ultimately put on a show for passersby, borrowing his new pal's guitar and playing a riff from one of Gonzalez’s tunes. (The short solo is on YouTube.)

As he was leaving, The Boss tossed a tip into the musician's guitar case.

“He said, ‘This is for that trip you never made,’’’ Gonzalez shared.

What a sweetheart, that Bruce.

1. bigman

notafan, even Reagan said he used to like Springsteen.

September 10, 2011 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Notafan

Guys who like Springsteen tend to be somewhat "gay". They would probably s his d if they had the chance.

September 7, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB!

No, but I would have Shot your Dad before he made you if I would have had the chance. I'm guessing you'd probably let Eminem and TI tag team you

September 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • mill worker

Notafan...you are obviously looking for attention so here it is. As a straight male, who holds politically incorrect opinions of gays, yet does not let this hinder his work or friendships...I'm sure there are some gay fans for Bruce. Hate to break it to you...it crosses all music lines...from the obvious (Cher, ?Lady? Gaga) to Sahikira, Rihanna, and more. You can pretty much name any group, and they will have a portion of gay fans (boy bands, girl bands, rappers [Nikki Minaj], etc). So your message was a non-valued one. With the exception of your new education.

September 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tracie

I hate Springsteen, but I LOVE poo!

September 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

Big Boss fan. Good guy and good for him. Now if only he'd stop selling everything he can put his name on...stay classy Bruce.

September 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. HockeyMinny

As a "Dad" who just turned 50, I value very little of today's performers and their music. Not only is the music void of any message but the language is usually garbage. I cannot say that about the Boss or most of the 70's and 80's entertainers. Sorry Lil wayne...

September 7, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • lil wayne

Sorry if you think my music is void of any message. While I have an completely different style than Mr. Springsteen, if you actually listen to my lyrics or google the meaning of "How to Love". You can also google the lyrics if my delivery is to quick for you to understand. Although I appreciate them, but would still do my work without them, theres a reason I am up for 18 nominations and my closest fellow artists are up for 8. Bruce sings for his streets, I draw from mine.

Do we say that we shouldn't listen to Clarence Clemon's if he is only playing the sax, because there is no message? No we listen because of the talent and emotion this amazing man brought to Bruce's band and the world itself. Choose your reasons to explain not appreciating an artist correctly.

September 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. f

My wife always said she was going to marry Bruce....until she married me ! The Boss is great.

September 7, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. MikeAustinTX

This is not the first time he's played in the street. Check out this video on YouTube:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzpefkdPl0&w=640&h=390]

September 7, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. Scott

A life long fan of not only his music but him as a person. He does these types of things all the time.

September 7, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. Redirect..

A good Boss has character. Bruce Springsteen has a lot of character.

September 7, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

Wonder if he still dances in the dark ?

September 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. harleysporster883

neat story.... loves the Boss!

September 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bailoutsos

Give something back at no charge. Fans appreciate it.

September 6, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. not a fan

cool gesture. seems okay, not really into Bruce, though. not gonna say anything mean, just there are other artists I like better. my choice.

September 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. itsamemario

@lynette why so surprised? anyways yea the boss is definitely one of my favorite artist, hope to catch one of his shows sometime..

September 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tomball_PAX

Absolutely, the Boss. Great musical, spirit and plain old fun in concert. Impossible to buy a better time. First time I saw him was on the Born in the USA tour. Can't imagine what a difference it will make without the Big Man.

September 6, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. suzan

bruce always will be the 'boss'. i've seen him 12 times over his career. each show different from the rest. i admire his love for his fans. one time in atl he asked people to bring cans of food for the food bank. so much was donated in his honor. a wonderful humanatarian whose words and music always amazes me.

September 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Lynnette

Wassup mario!?!

September 6, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. itsamemario

bruce is cool for that one..wassup all..

September 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mike G.

I like musicians who "get it".. Springsteen is one of the few that "gets it". Well done.

September 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan Marino

Exactly! That's why Bruce really appreciates Austin musicians. Because they are all musician's musicians. :-)

September 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. gahh

The older Bruce gets, the better he sounds.

September 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Doug Shiloh

One more reason he's The Boss.

September 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. alecia

Ive seen Springsteen twice and you couldnt ask for a better show!

September 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. SHOP GIRL

What a man!!

September 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Byrd

Street cleaner is more like it, once you uncover his "secret name" as he calls it. Jesus, how stupid can people be....

September 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • borntorun45

Byrd, it's sad when children are allowed to play on their parents' computer. Go to bed now, and let the adults have a conversation.

September 6, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • borntorun45

What I've always loved about Springsteen is his compassion. He sets up a donation pot at every venue so people can give to their local charities, to which he also contributes. He donates millions per year to charity, quietly – you never hear about it – plus he gives dozens of free concerts on behalf of various causes. At every concert I've attended (20) he has set aside a block of tickets to give away to those who came hoping to buy tickets at the gate. But one of the most amazing things I saw his guys do was at a concert I attended in Tacoma, WA. I was sitting next to an extremely drunk guy who I thought was going to fall down the stairs, he was that out of it. A guy from the show came, took him by the arm, and as I watched, he took him to a safe seaat on the floor of the Dome where, if he fell, he wouldn't fall so far. I couldn't believe it – but we saw it happen with several other drunks, too. Amazing.

September 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. portalpunk

Long weekends always make me FIRSTY!!!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |