Madonna publicly thanks ex-husbands
September 2nd, 2011

Madonna publicly thanks ex-husbands

In a curious show of affection for her ex-husbands, Madonna has publicly thanked Guy Ritchie and Sean Penn for their help with her second directorial effort, “W.E.”

Madge expressed her gratitude in a press conference at the Venice International Film Festival, reports The Huffington Post.

"I am and was attracted to very creative people which is why I married Sean Penn and Guy Ritchie, two very talented directors," Madge said of her film industry exes. "They both encouraged me as a director and as a creative person to do what I did, and they were both very supportive."

While she’s gotten good reviews for her acting in movies like “Evita” and “Desperately Seeking Susan,” Madonna’s directorial debut, “Filth and Wisdom,” was a wash.

And so far, British royal period drama "W.E." isn’t faring any better. Despite help from Penn and Ritchie, "W.E." is eliciting scathing reviews at the film fest, reports MTV.

Critics “slammed the garbled narrative structure, cheesy dialogue and directorial trickery that seemed to serve no other purpose than Madonna's look-at-me self-servitude.”

“W.E.” hits theaters in December.

1. Hallux

Uhm, haigh evriwun... huu iz zis Madge perzon zey kip goink ahn uhbowt?

September 16, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tuttysan

And when did we start calling Madonna Madge?

September 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. self

w.e.

September 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Old School

I'm fond of the 80's Madonna. Lucky Star is my fave song of hers. In the 90's, it seemed she incorporated her kabbala beliefs into her music which wasn't appealing to me so I didn't buy any of her albums.

I like her...she can dance and sing well. But let's keep in mind that she was heavily influenced by African-American soul and pop. She was the Britney Spears of her day.

Just keeping it real y'all. :-P

September 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kristin

You people are absolutely ridiculous. Madonna is her own person and exploring other creative outlets. Who do you people think you are, to criticize so scathingly another human being that you don't even know?!?! She doesn't need your judgment of her explorations, nor your "find god" advice, or criticism over her relationships. At the end of the day, she is a human being, who happens to be in the public eye. Blow off and away – cause you'll never have a fraction of what Madonna has, or ever know what that woman has been through. Grow up.

September 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. patricia

She is always reinventing herself. At least she is not boring! Streisand has over 6. O albums!

September 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Madonnafan

You're all wannabes, every last one.

September 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. K.B-Bradenton

Most Great actors have had their share of "woop's" so what if she's had a couple. Madonna is a smart business women! I think it's very mature and a smart move to thank her exes and I wish her the best in whatever she does.

September 6, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anton

I'm a fan of singers. But I can't sing. U idiot Madonna.

September 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JB21

The most influential woman in the history of human civilization. Whether positively or negatively. I salute you, Madonna, in spite of myself.

September 6, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. opra

she is a washed up has been who has no talent. do everyone a favor madona. retire. you cant act and cant sing.

September 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. alecia

Madonna may not make very good movies but you do have to hand it to her that you never hear anything bad about her children. That being said, Betty Christianity teaches tolerance and I for 1 believe that God doesnt care where you pray or believe as long as you do!

September 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mammy

Puh-leeze! I cornholed a dude last night that had more talent in his man-gina that Madonna has in her whole body.

September 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Betty

MADONNA, IF YOU ARE READING THIS KNOW I AM NOT TRYING TO TRASH YOU! JUST TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION...I KNOW OTHER RELIGIOUS LEADERS, HAVE TRY TALKING TO YOU, SENDING YOU BOOKS FOR YOUR CHILDREN TO READ... AS A LOT OF US, HEARD ABOUT THEM SAYING THEY WOULD BE PRAYING FOR YOU...AND YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE BEING TARGET LOOK AT JENNIFER LOPEZ, SHE CAN NOT SING TO SAVE HER SOUL, BUT SHE IS HOWEVER A GREAT ACTRESS...IF SHE IS EVEN AT TOP OF THE MUSIC CHARTS, IS BECAUSE SHE HAS RAPPERS HELPING HER SING AND SHE IS A VERY PRETTY LADY! THAT IS IT. WHICH AMAZE ME HOW SHE GAVE ADVICE TO THE AMERICAN IDOLS TEENS WHEN THEY SOUNDED BETTER THEN HER THAT'S WHY SHE WOULD NOT ALLOW THEM TO SING ONE OF HER SONGS? MADONNA, NEEDS TO SURRENDER TO JESUS CHRIST AND THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, THE GOD, OF ISRAEL TOTALLY BEFORE ITS TO LATE, HE IS READY TO TAKE YOUR LIFE AND TRANSFORM IT FOR YOUR GOOD... BUT HE WON'T FORCE ANY ONE....
    I WILL BE PRAYING

September 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Betty

I LOVED HER 80's music.... after that her music sounded like she was chanting witch craft...lead people to believe she could no longer carry a note... so chanting made up for the lack of... Perhaps Pa,PA don't preach had a real meaning for her in terms of her father trying to get her to stop being a rebel...and as for her her punishing her daughter for not cleaning up..Madonna, you are getting what you have sown.... the Bible reads you will reap what you sow... if you look real close its a mirror of your self when your Mom, died you rebel against all and any Authority!!! I FEEL SORRY FOR MADONNA, DAUGHTER BECAUSE SHE HAS NO GODLY ROLE MODEL...ONLY A MOM WHO WANTS TO PRETENDS SHE IS STILL YOUNG.... MADONNA, PLEASE DO NOT BE LIKE OTHER TRASHY MOMS, CHER, MILEY CYPRESS MOM, LINDSAY LOHAN MOM.... BE BETTER THAN THAT TAKE YOUR CHILD TO A BIBLE BASED CHURCH AND NOT KABALA OR WHAT EVER ITS NOT TOO LATE FOR Madonna, to come to JESUS CHRIST! AND STOP TRYING TO MANIPULATE HER OWN LIFE AS WE KNOW SHE HAS NOT DONE A VERY GOOD JOB LATELY. WHAT EVER SUCCESS SHE MIGHT OF HAD IN THE 80'S it over NOW!!! I LIKE MADONNA, FROM THE 80'S THE MADONNA, NOW IS DISCUSSING MY OWN TEENS AGES 15, 18 THINKS SO TOO... HOW SAD IS THAT? THEY FEEL SORRY FOR HER CHILDREN, FOR A MOM TO TRY AND DATE A YOUNG MAN IN HIS 24 YOUTH THAT IS NASTY...MADONNA GROW UP YOU ARE AN OLDER WOMEN NOT MRS. ROBINSON.... STOP IT!!!

September 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ron

The 24-7 nonstop idolization and attention..enough to make anyone crazy or at least narcissistic. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't reading this/posting on here, maybe she's the one who wrote that Madonna's better than that other limousine liberal flake Streisand.

September 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bezerkur

yeah lets compare daughters. Chers' turned out just fine huh? what a train wreck.

September 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bezerkur

i believe her daughter is all grown up now. "weeks"? i doubt that.

September 5, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. princess zelda

Madonna is not a human being. She makes her daughter wear the same clothes for weeks if she doesn't clean up her room. Neglect much? As for her talent, that is laughable. Her voice was altered in the 80s to make her sound younger...something that Cher never had to do. And anyone remember her friendship with Rosie?

September 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ashley

September 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. bezerkur

talent is in the eye of the beholder. although i dont agree she has the singing talent of the likes of Aretha or Streisand, her contributions to the industry paved the way for many artists. "Crazy for you" will always be a cherished song of my youth. She broke alot of barriers and stayed true to her beliefs. salute.

September 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mary

She has a nice voice,but she is no streisand

September 5, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. joeblack

modonna is crazy as hell if she thinks she can make any movie.

September 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. vivian Nicholas

Still loving madonna!still hears the echo of her voice...when you call my name its like a little prayer,I'm down on my knees,I wanna take you there...

September 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Comic

Madonna is truly a genious. She has an amazing voice and the ability to use it to make a difference. She has Grammys for goodness sake(they don't just give those away). All you trolls sitting behind your " invisable" screens and passing judgement take a look in the mirror before talking crap. She has done broadway, written amazing literature acts circles around most and sings circles around the likes of Aretha or Streisand! So shut the f:: ck up already.

September 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Hizzle

Madonna...time to retire...

September 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. John doe

Madonna still pretty as a peach, right Peirs???

September 5, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  28. Christina

Madonna DOES have talent!!! What have you morons got to show for yourselves. I just love how "commoners" have so much to say but little to show. I bet you're Lady Caca fan Mammy.

September 5, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  29. Ron

Whatever.
    It is difficult to find interest,patience or empathy in and with these self-loving egomaniacal freaks who furthermore feel the need to embrace the most archaic religions or despotic tyrants to prove their uniqueness and relevance. For pure undeserved vanity, however, none of these can match Barack.

September 5, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  30. Mammy

More Breaking News on CNN – Madonna has no talent!

September 5, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • like her early music

and her evita role, the rest has been just bad... she is interesting however and fearless

September 5, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  31. Kash

Wish I could make a comment. Guess I'll have to wait 'til december then.

September 5, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |