'The Help' earns more than $100 million at box office
September 1st, 2011

'The Help' earns more than $100 million at box office

Book club moms have been jumping into their minivans and heading to the theaters in droves!

The big screen version of Kathryn Stockett’s best-selling novel “The Help” has surpassed the $100 million mark at the domestic box office, DreamWorks Pictures announced Wednesday.

“We never imagined this film, which began its journey inspired by the enthusiasm of a small group of Mississippi friends, would ever even get made,” says director Tate Taylor. “Now to have it seen and embraced by so many people is just beyond our wildest dreams.”

“The Help,” if you haven’t heard, centers on the fraught relationships between Southern white women and their black maids in the 1960s. The movie stars Emma Stone, Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer.

Despite some controversy over a white writer and director telling the stories of black women, the drama has become a blockbuster hit.

It's gotten the approval of many African-American organizations and leaders, including the chairwoman of the NAACP, according to the  Los Angeles Times.

"The Help," which opened on August 10, has stayed at No. 1 for the past two weekends.

1. alayna

Book club moms? Minivans? Maybe no one explained this to you, Ms. Lopez, but younger people read, too.

September 2, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
    • dtcpr

I second that! I'm 24 and i went with my girlfriends for a girl night! I recommended the book to my mom, not the other way around!

LOOOOOOOOVED the book, and the movie was also very good!

September 2, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • yavva

24 years olds are pretty STUPID! SHUT your mouth bytch.

September 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kenken

So how does that equate to more roles for black actresses, more work for black directors, it may also appear that a movie with black and white actresses can be produced and be a box office success. So when is Hollywood going to play fair?

September 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Drexel

Everytime I see a movie about Mississippi I get a sick feeling,no "The Help" won't be getting any help from my bag.

September 1, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Evel Knievel

The movie made $100 million and they only paid the black people $50 of it.

September 1, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Olivia Stone

You couldn't pay me to watch this about anything in evil Mississippi,every time I meet a black person from there they tell me awful stories about how bad that place is for them.They tell me that Tennessee is like NYC compared to that place.

September 1, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Olivia Stone

I'm glad somebody's making money

September 1, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Vic

Yea but that sales number was boosted by the 3D ticket sales I bet!

September 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |