'Pretty Little Liars' finale: Back fat, other observations
August 31st, 2011

'Pretty Little Liars' finale: Back fat, other observations

Last night’s episode of “Pretty Little Liars” was bananas.

The non-linear mid-season finale was so action-packed and shocking that I might not have survived it without DVR. (I had to watch the end sequence four times before completely digesting the exchange between Jenna and Garrett in the police station restroom.)

Though producers have chosen to leave us in the dark about who A is until the series finale (and who knows when that will be), they’ve given us enough information to make sure we stay tuned in the meantime.

In a “Pulp Fiction” fashion, the episode beings with the last scene – a new (and effective) device for the teen drama. Garrett and the suspended detective, who we haven’t seen since early on in the series, stare at the pretty little liars from behind a two-way mirror at the police station. The girls, covered in mud, are being accused of homicide.

Some key points:

A box that reads, “Open or she dies,” arrives at Spencer’s house. Inside the box is a note that says the girls have until 7 p.m. to accomplish certain tasks, or Dr. Sullivan will be killed. The “tasks” come in the form of talking dolls – how creepy is that?!

• Aria’s task: “Make Jackie go away.” A copy of Fitz’s ex fiance’s paper, as well as the research she plagiarized from, are included.
  • Spencer’s task: “Keep Toby safe.” (Note: The brake line in Toby’s car was severed earlier that day.)
  • Hanna’s task: “Stop the wedding.” (She does so by interrupting the ceremony and telling Isabelle that her dad hooked up with her mom when he came back to Rosewood.)
  • Emily’s task, which she receives right before the wedding, is to go to the barn where Dr. Sullivan is supposedly being kept. (Her navigation was already programmed to the address.)

Spencer puts it best when she says that A is brilliant. He or she is forcing the girls to get what they want, but knowing all hell will break loose when they do.

The girls each complete their tasks: Spencer breaks up with Toby (and kisses Renn). Aria threatens Jackie, who in turn threatens her right back. She says she’ll tell everyone about Fitz’s student-teacher relationship is Aria exposes her borrowed words. (Side note: Jackie and Kate are the best mean girls since, well, “Mean Girls.”)

Emily heads in to the barn, only to find a running car emitting carbon monoxide. The barn door closes and she loses consciousness. It’s clear A isn’t trying to kill the girls – he or she eventually drags Em to safety.

Emily wakes to find Alison sitting over her. The exchange, whether it occurred in Em’s head or not, was telling: Alison says she knows who A is, but won’t tell “because two can only keep a secret if one of them is dead.”

Does that mean Ali is alive?

When the girls show up, they find a shovel outside the barn with a location posted on it. (Is this really the murder weapon? What happened to the hockey stick?)

When they arrive at the location, they see a yellow straw sticking out the ground. Naturally, they assume Dr. Sullivan is buried beneath it. She’s not. The moment they begin to dig, authorities show up and take them into custody. It was a set up – presumably by Garrett and Jenna. But does that make them A?

In the bathroom at the police station, Garrett and Jenna say, we couldn’t have come up with a better plan. It’s then that we find out Garrett only joined the police force to get back at the girls. He mentions wanting to get into the storage room. What could be in there?

He also hands Jenna a piece of paper to burn. Could that be page 5 of Ali’s file? Or is he playing her, as well?

The episode ends with Dr. Sullivan taking an envelop from our black-gloved friend at a diner. Apparently A has pretty eyes.

Could it be Jenna? We don’t often see her without her shades. Or maybe it’s Alison.

Think back to when Dr. Sullivan was rummaging through her files. She came across a patient who tipped her off about A’s identity. I haven’t personally read the books, but those of you that have, have made references to Alison’s crazy twin Courtney. Do you think the series will follow a similar model? Or stray from the original storyline completely?

Share you theories below!

And now, two moments I couldn’t leave out, despite the fact that that have no bearing on our quest to identify A:

• Toby asks Spencer what their baby would look like, to which she replies: “A newborn with a six pack.” (Dear Toby and Spencer, this isn’t “Teen Mom.” Please don’t get pregnant.)
  • Caleb’s meeting with Kate was by far the best part of the entire episode: “You should know [your dress] gives you back fat.” Way to stick up for your lady!

"PLL" is back for a special Halloween episode on Wednesday, October 19 at 8 p.m. The episode takes place before Ali's death. Hopefully we'll get some answers then.

1. 70K NOSE DIVE...

WHO CARES...

January 17, 2013 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. pax sivir code

My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog. He used to be totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not believe simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

January 17, 2013 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Pax sivir codes

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i am happy to convey that I have an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot for sure will make certain to don?t overlook this website and give it a glance regularly.

August 29, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Contracting Info

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I have been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered brilliant transparent concept

August 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. vicky sicky

I KNOW WHO A IS! A IS JENNA AND MAYBE SOME OTHERS BECAUSE IN ONE EPISODE A STUFFS HANNA'S MONEY INTO A RED HEADED DOLL AND I SAW THAT DOLL IN JENNA'S ROOM. PLUS THE DOLLS W/ THE TASKS 4 THE GIRLS. ITS SO EASY. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

December 21, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Maya

Kate is A!

November 1, 2011 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. holly

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA BACK FAT

October 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. prettyltlmusicfiend

Please tell me someone else noticed the boots Maya was wearing. They looked just like the boots that "A" ordered online

September 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rock

The hot little broad who reminds me of Angelica Huston kills me. She is fantastic to look at. Who cares about the show...

September 6, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kayleigh

if A is not Jenna and Garret then the story line would have a complete hole in it.

Dr. Sullivan got taken because she found out who A was and A knew that she found out because of the recording device in her office. it was A that took the device out of her office at the end of the episode which means it was obviously A that took Dr. Sullivan. This means only A knew about Dr.Sullivan and was the one to set the girls up. It makes no sense for Jenna and Garret to say that they set them up well and not be A because they were the only ones to know about Dr.Sullivan knowing.

Also, A can't be Ali because A went to counseling with the Dr and Dr. Sullivan would have known it was Ali right? She wouldn't think it was normal for a girl who was supposedly dead to just walk into her office for counseling....so it had to most likely be Jenna. I think Jenna is no longer blind and thats why the waitress commented on her eyes. Because again, everyone knows Ali so she wouldn't just go out to a diner like that..

But I have a question: Do you think the boxthat said open or she dies was actually talking about Emily? think about it....Emily didnt get a doll and if they didnt open the box they wouldnt have gotten to her out in the woods. idk just a thought..

September 5, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brian

I have been contending since the series started is Alison is posing as Jen and it was Jen's body that is found.

September 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Me

Do you think Ali is alive?

September 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. PLL1720

If you look, the person that picks up Emily out of the barn has the same boots as Alison does when Emily is laying in her lap.

September 3, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kar

have not watched the Fanalie yet but im super excited to i have it recorded on DVR and this is the first i have ever heard of Courtney!!!! i was like WOW!!!!!

September 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dd pooomp

the only back fat worth mentioning is the fat that surrounds the crack

September 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Abdulrahman Salah Al Khan

Pretty much like what most people have done in order to get what they wanted dearly.OMG

September 2, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  17. MHN

The October episode will air Oct. 19th, 2011 and the second half of season two will air sometime in January like they did last season.

September 2, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  18. NMN

I agree with the other post that they need to hurry up and show us some action! The books are great and there was actually some fighting back from the PLL's! I'm tired of them being scared and ready from some action. I will stop watching if something doesn't happen next season. At least a clue or something because in the books, they were always getting some kind of clue to who was A till someone figured it out. But the show, we get nothing!

September 1, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Me

It's obvious that A is a female. In the scene where "A" was picking Emily up in the garage the hands were very femine. Also, I know guys can have nice eyes but the fact that the eyes are always being described as pretty leads me to believe that A is definitely a woman.
    I think the show may follow with the books with Courtney... Emily has had flash backs or dreams with Ali in them but in this episode when Ali said "2 can keep a secret if 1 of them is dead," kind of made me believe that she is alive.
    I wish Spencer could have told Toby why she was doing what she was doing but I know A is everywhere. However, sometimes I wonder why the girls can't write it on a peice of paper or better yet type it on a computer or in to their phones and than automatically delete it before anyone but the one person they are showing can see it? I guess though if they could do that than the storyline would fall flat. Speaking of Spencer, Renn needs to go away! He has no morals, first he leaves Melissa for Spencer which was a pretty crappy thing and than he kisses Spencer knowing she is with Toby. Spencer should have not allowed him too though. She made me so angry.
    Emily in this episode was absolutely rediculous... first, when the girls got their dolls and she didn't she sounded so upset "I didn't get one," like why would you want one when you know it isn't going to bring anything good into your lives, and than when Dr. Sullivan was burried in the dirt or so we thought she was screaming for her as if she could answer from beyond the dirt. I love her character but she just wasn't very smart in this episode. lol
    I can not wait for the Halloween episode! It looks amazing! Just seems so far away. When is the actually series supposed to start up again?

September 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Me

OMG you know what she or he meant "brake line." Don't be so rediculous.

September 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  21. me

If they ran to their parents they would be putting them in danger and if they told the police they wouldn't get very far since Garett is on the force and is obviously a dirty cop.

September 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  22. can't catch a brake

"The break line in Toby’s car was severed earlier that day"

seriously? "break" line?

wow.

September 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Give us a "brake"

Spelling? Seriously?

Why must every comment section have at least one sad person who's sense of self worth is so low that they can only find validation by picking at other poster's spelling and/or grammar? May your posts cause you to have back fat.

On topic, I'm with the poster who said they feel they've been dragged along just a bit too far. I need some confrontations. I need some answers. I need the girlfriends to find their backbones and start plotting against A. Otherwise I'm going to start calling them Pretty Little Victims.

September 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously.

forgive me if i find it irritating that a nationally published article contains grammatical mistakes. when i see blatant grammatical errors, it tells me the writer is sloppy, which then leads me to doubt the validity of what is written. whether it be a silly, fluff article or one of significance, grammatical errors in journalism are unacceptable.

September 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • can't catch a brake

also, i would like to point out that the mistake has since been corrected. obviously my point was valid to someone.

September 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • bahahaha

Dearest Spelling Nazi,

Would you marry me?

Love, Grammatical Hitler.

P.S. I'm willing to deal with your lack of capitalization, but only because your wit is top notch.

October 23, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Booo

Jenna could be A since she has interesting green eyes. I know this because I used to watch the same actress as Colleen on the Young and the Restless. Coincidentally the guy who play Garrett has a recurring role on that soap, too. Anyway, I thought the quick juxtaposition of Garrett and Jenna at the station and then the doc with A was showing that neither could have been A. But Garrett and Jenna said that "she" deserved to die that way so...

To be honest while I love the show, the premise is starting to tick me off. I guess it's because I – like most folk – would not take this much blackmail laying down. I'd tell A to screw off and lie in wait for him/her with a weapon or I'd run to my parents and police and tell them what's going on.

September 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. hannah

when does pretty little liars come back now?

September 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Bailey

Am I the only one who loves Aria and Fitz together? I was SO disappointed that he didn't tell Ella about their relationship. Now obviously it won't go over well when they DO find out, but I'm ready for them to find out, already!

I've thought about Mike being A, but I've since changed my mind. I don't think he is A, but there is definitely something weird going on with him!

September 1, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  26. Meg

The true A is super confusing and totally not who you think....also in the books Toby is long gone after the first book...as in the Aria/Ezra story line, he leaves like after the 3rd book...

September 1, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  27. cm

People, it's a SHOW, not reality! Who really cares? If you really care then maybe you need to get a life outside of tv land!

September 1, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Booo

Yes. How dare people who spend one hour out of the 168 hours in a week watching a show read a story about such show and comment on the show's plotline! It's ridiculous!

Please! I'd be more outraged at people who defend celebs as if they are their best friends. And by the way, I have a fabulous life with the best family anyone could ever ask for.

September 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andi

You do realize that you are taking the time to comment on a story you didn't need to read about a show you don't care about just so that you can voice the negative opinions about it that nobody cares about, right? If you don't like the show, you don't need to watch it, and nobody forced you to read this article, so can you please keep your hypocritical opinions to yourself?

September 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. cm

who gives a rats ass?

September 1, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  29. Evel Knievel

Back fat is almost worse than foot fat. It's all gross.

September 1, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  30. Rachael

I had some different thoughts from the previous comments. I don't think Mike is A and I don't think they are dragging the story. I have not read the books but because I'm a nerd I looked up spoilers and read a little about Courtney. I am personally guessing (after last nights finale) that it is something to do with Courtney. I don't know if it's Courtney or Alison who is A but I think maybe they were switched and A is the real Alison.

There is a lot to think about.

I am still questioning what happened between Jenna and Garrett. I think we are meant to question whether or not they killed Alison. I don't think they did. I do think that they believe that they know what happened that night. I'm not sure they know the truth. They obviously knew a lot about the girls though with what the dolls made them do. Not surprised that "Keep Toby Safe" came from Jenna. Makes sense, she didn't want them together. I think these two know about A but are not they themselves A.

I am very curious what Allison knew about Spencer's Dad. He obviously has a big secret and I hope it's not the same plot as Aria's Dad's affair. I am wondering if Allison lured him into some bad behavior and then was punishing him for it. Maybe Spencer's Dad is a part of NAT. Something is going on there.

I'm sure there is more..

August 31, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. CGGuest

I don't know, I think A is Mike. Mike has a black hoodie, goes to their school, has had to go see a therapist. I think that MIke fits the profile too, he is upset and clearly,doesn't like anyone. He also knows Noel Kahn (lax) and Noel would probably trust MIke, so the CD for the fashion show. Also the cryptic mirror in his room (Parents are closer than they may appear), could the mirror have something to do with Hannah's car accident? I think A is Mike.

August 31, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • goose

wait, i don't get why the girls were accused of homicide if there wasn't anyone actually in the dirt where they were digging? who could they have killed?

September 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenna

@goose

They're being accused of killing Ali.

October 20, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. CL123

LOVED the back fat comment! Caleb = Best. Boyfriend. Ever.

August 31, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  33. veronica

they are so dragging this storyline. I'll give it one more season and if they don't speed it up then they've lost a viewer.

August 31, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I'm pretty sure they couldn't care less.

September 2, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

@Bob: LOL! I know right.

September 3, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
    • celeste starr

i agree. every show they leave me with 100 new questions and they never answer them in the next episodes. And im getting annoyed having to wait, its been two seasons and we really dont know anything new, they have all these new scary things happen (someones in jasons house for example) and then never adress it. I agree that they have one more season then im done having none of my questions answered

September 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  34. portalpunk

im not a liar, im FIRSTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 31, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |