Anne Hathaway in talks for 'Les Miserables' film
August 31st, 2011

Anne Hathaway in talks for 'Les Miserables' film

She's played Jane Austen, the White Queen, and she'll soon hit the big screen as Catwoman, but can Anne Hathaway tackle one of the most iconic musical characters of all time?

The Oscar-nominated actress is in talks to play Fantine in the upcoming musical film adaptation of the "Les Miserables," Broadway World reported.

Based on Victor Hugo's French novel, the original musical, which opened on Broadway in 1987, went on to win eight Tony Awards. Joining Hathaway in the film, to be directed by "The King's Speech's" Tom Hooper, is Hugh Jackman as protagonist Jean Valjean.

Jackman was supposedly in favor of casting Hathaway. (We know from their 2009 Oscar performance that they definitely have the chemistry and the pipes needed for their roles.)

Others names being considered for roles include Geoffrey Rush, who starred in the non-musical adaptation back in 1998, Helena Bonham Carter, Russell Crowe, Hayden Panettiere, Miranda Cosgrove and Emma Watson.

Are you excited to see Hathaway in a musical? Sound off below!

Post by:
Filed under: Anne Hathaway • Celebrities • movies

1. AM Boyd

If that bug eyed Anne Hathaway can sing, I can make donkeys fly and the pigs. Etc.

February 14, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. dien dan thuy san

Great work! This is the kind of information that should be shared around the net. Shame on the seek engines for now not positioning this post higher! Come on over and discuss with my web site . Thank you =)

December 26, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. this

You're truly a good webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing. It kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have done a wonderful activity on this subject!

August 8, 2012 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mega Millions

I was recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I am not certain whether or not this publish is written by him as nobody else understand such special approximately my problem. You're amazing! Thanks!

April 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mr soand so

I think my mom and sister should do the parts before crow plays a meg on someone

March 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Patrick

I love Anne Hathaway but if she can't sing, they need to replace her. Don't do like they did for the Phantom movie by casting a "rock" tenor as the Phantom. Totally disappointing.

October 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jean

hathaway for fantine, i could see that. she has that "oldness" look abt her, plus she's pretty.
    no way to miranda cosgrove and hayden Panettiere. i like Panettiere but not for les mis. i can see emma watson as like cosette or something....if she didn't cut her hair....>.>

October 6, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rock

Id eat that for 3 weeks...

September 6, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Brian

Honestly that sounds like a find cast for a hollywood non-musical version of Les Miserables. If they plan on including singing...they really need to try again. Hugh Jackman is pretty much the only person on that list who may be able to pull it off, and even that I think is still a maybe. He has a nice voice, but Jean Valjean is one of the toughest male leads in a musical. If it were a live performance I don't think he could do it. Since it's a film i'm sure they'll be able to touch it up, and have him sing most of it in a studio and it will sound alright. As for Anne Hathaway....I really like her as an actress, and yes she can carry a tune...but that just isn't enough. Casting her will help with the popularity, and I'm sure it will do well financially...but it will be a failure in terms of music. Though that may not be a priority of whoever is putting this together.

September 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. berryblueyes

Miranda Cosgrove would be making a huge move if she did this... so far she has stayed in the child safe zone...

September 3, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Amy

Ann as Fauntine, ok I though they were going to say Cossette. But Miranda Cosgrove? No! Only one part for her and that is Eponine.

September 3, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mike in SA

Actually...I'd like ot see real singers who can act rather than actors who think they can sing. (Jackman excluded since he does do well but Anne? No, sorry, Anne is a beautiful woman, but she won't have to pipes to carry it off.

September 2, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BeTheChangeYouWant2c

Hathway may FINALLY be growing into her looks. She has always looked like a Picasso. Nothing has ever fit. Her lips and eyes too big. Skin too white. Just off. But she may just be starting to blossom. Most women finally do as they approach 30 to 35.

September 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MrsFudd.

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! As said in a previous post, "Les Miz" is sacred. I've seen the Broadway show 3 times and cried like a baby every time. It is uplifting, edifying, stupendous.....it is a once in a lifetime musical event. I was SO excited when someone finally decided to make the Broadway musical into a movie. But the producers have to cast this with the utmost of care, because if they miscast just ONE person, this movie will flop. Anne Hathaway does NOT have the signing chops to do Fantine. She is too old for Cosette. Hugh Jackman is the ONLY person to play Jean Val Jean. It's like casting Clark Gable for Rhett Butler. Geoffrey Rush will not be Javier – he played the character in the movie and did an OK job. I think he'd chew up the screen along with Helena Bonham Carter as the Thenardiers. Not sure if Russell Crowe can pull of Javier, but I hear he is really after this part. Emma Watson has been rumored for Cosette. I don't know if she can sing, but if she's got the pipes, it would be a casting coup. She would bring in the Harry Potter crowd and introduce younger movie-goers to the best Broadway musical in recent history. I think they should get Josh Groban for Marius. He was very funny in "Crazy Stupid Love". And no one can deny his incredible singing voice. I hope to God that none of the producers are even thinking of any of the talentless Disney stars for Cosette or Eponine. It must be cast well or people will not go and see it. If they do cast Anne Hathaway, I will have to wait and see who else they cast. If she's the only bad one, I'll see it. If they mess up this casting, it will bomb and the producers will be guilty of destroying one of the most beloved Broadway musicals of all time. *done with my sermonizing now*!!!!

September 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anya

Agree with the NO NO NO. Hathaway has a nice voice, but look up her first time hosting Saturday Night Live – she sang all over the place – all very on key and very accurately but very cool and chilly and just sort of overly pleased with herself, plus she's wayyyy overexposed at the moment, and rumours are that her Catwoman performance isn't about to bring her back from the awful Oscar 'performance'. If you look at her two best roles to date they are "Brokeback Mountain" and "Rachel Getting Married" (somehow I don't think I've got that name quite right but you know what I mean) and her characters in those roles weren't particularly likeable – so no don't let her anywhere near Fantine's sad story and heartbreaking song. Personally I'd rather not see Emma Watson be allowed anywhere near Eponine either, or Russell Crowe anywhere near any part of the film. Also keep Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johannsen and Taylor Swift well away from it, please and thank you.

September 4, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dd pooomp

I'm late to the parzy, I was enriching my life with artssss and fartsss and craftssss

September 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dennis

Why bother casting those who can't sing?? Grab the entire London or Broadway cast in the movie and it will be perfect! Use the Hollywood folks as extras.

September 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Melissa

AWESOME!! Cannot wait. Love Anne Hathaway..WHO CAN DEF SING...and Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean??!?! AWESOMENESS!!!

September 2, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Pliny

Traci!!!!!

Where are you? We need you to post your one (and only) post again.

You've only written the same thing 7 or 8 thousand times.

And to you...that is funny and original.

Please...show us all how funny and original you think you are. We miss being bored to tears.

September 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Disk

They already made a Les Miserables film in the 1990's. It's a bit soon to do a remake, even if this is a musical version. Stop with the remakes and endless sequels, Hollywood. It's time for some originality.

September 2, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  20. d

apparently it doesn't matter if the actor can sing or not. All that matters is if you can fill movie seats. I WAS excited about ROCK OF AGES until I heard Tom Cruise was in it. I won't be seeing it now!

September 2, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  21. MillieBea

Emmy Rossum can actually sing- how about her?

September 2, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. Craig in KC

@Palintwit And that has exactly what to do with the article we are discussing?

September 2, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  23. sam

Hopefully her french accent is better than her english one.

September 2, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. Rich in NJ

Anne Hathaway is an excellent singer and was close to being cast for the Phantom movie except that she was obligated to shoot the Princess Diaries sequel. She could handle Fantine. And I am glad they mentioned Hayden Panettiere, whom I presume would be cast as Eponine. I think the hardest role to cast is Javert. Not many actors who have the bass chops needed.

September 1, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ryan

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!! With that cast and this show – I'll be camping outside the theatre the day before the midnight showing, thanks!

September 1, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Richard Allen

What's a musical? *waits for it.

September 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kat

no. leave musicals musicals, leave a classic a classic. colm wilkinson is jean val jean. lea solanga is eponine. just leave it alone and don't wreck les mis which is what happened to rent... and that was WITH the obc.

September 1, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Wow

I can't believe all the haters. Everyone who thinks Phantom of the Opera wasn't great are some very bitter snobbish souls. I don't think you were offended by the singing you just hate anything that takes away from your precious play. I think the play and the movie are awesome! Stop hatin'

September 1, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. hungry howies

Take wisconsin tonight. College ball is back brah

September 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Foolth

Love Anne but Les Miz is sacred. They should have picked from the various legendary casts before they padded it with hollywood actors. Sure, they can sing well but not compared to the kind of talent that has graced this legendary musical. On the other hand, they DID manage to turn out a pretty interesting Evita with Madonna and Banderes. It was total fluff compared to Patty Lupone, though.

September 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Les Mis fan

But Madonna has an excellent voice and was a great choice for Evita. I'm an Anne Hathaway fan too, but even with another year or two of vocal training she won't be as good a singer as the best singer at a random high school. She won't even come close to being as good a singer as one of the better singers at any college. And she won't be in the same league as any of the Fantines who have performed Les Mis. The role of Fantine requires that her main songs bring the audience to outright desperation and tears. It's got to devastate you, the viewer. And, done properly, it will. Please, get Lea Salonga or Ruthie Henshall or Kristin Chenoweth or someone who can really make us cry.

Hugh Jackman will be a very good Valjean. He's a real singer, with a powerful voice and lots of charisma. He'll win us over to his plight and struggles.

September 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ali

omg emma watson

September 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Nicole

I like all the actors/actresses listed above but "Les Mis" is for people who don't just sing... they shine. These are classic songs that the public expects perfection. They'll pull it off, maybe even do a good job, but I highly doubt their voice will do justice to the "real" versions.

September 1, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jean

i would "like" what you said if i could. very well said. i agree. les mis is something that shouldn't be messed with. this movie needs to be carefully thought through. this movie, depending on how its ran and the actors they choose, is a hit or miss.

October 6, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  33. Lin

How many of the actors named as 'under consideration' can actually sing? This movie absolutely CANNOT be made with untried, untrained voices and the music takes precedence in this show. And Jackman is a big guy, he might make a better Javert.

September 1, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Eric

I don't think she has the vocal chops for FANTINE. It requires a very strong vocalist and I don't want to hear "I DREAMED A DREAM" slaughtered.

She sang in ELLA ENCHANTED and although adequate – she is NO Fantine. I watched one of the Jonas Brothers Clones play Marius – and he was Horrible. Every time he sang he had a look of anguish on his face – like he was uber-constipated.

Stop trying to cast BIG NAMES and go for TALENT.

Although – when Wicked comes to the big screen – I think that Lea Michelle fits the ELPHABA shoes pretty well.

September 1, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Renee

Oh god no – she doesn't have the voice for that type of role. She's not a strong singer. Why oh why must they ruin such iconic shows by bringing in a name isntead of someone that actually has the talent to perform the role!

September 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Rita

Paul Byrum as Jean ValJean, Hugh Jackman as Javare(sp?), Kevin McHale as Marius, Lea Michele as Eponine, Anne Hathaway as Fantine, George Donaldson as Tenardea(The inn keeper), Damian McGinty as Enjlorious(sp?), just to name a few!!!

September 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • jean

kevin mchale as marius?? no way. he has a really nasally voice and darkish sounding

October 6, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  37. Malia

Anne Hathaway is a lovely, talented young woman. That being said, she doesn't have the vocal strength needed for this role. Please- have a care in casting this film! There are so many who love it!

September 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Banana-phone

I love Anne Hathaway and I like most of what she's done so far but personally, as a big Les Miz fan, I don't see her as Fantine. Hugh Jackman would be a good Valjean though since he does remind me a bit (in the looks dept) of Alfie Boe who played the role in the 25th anniversary concert at the O2. Actually, I wouldn't mind if they just adapted the 25th anniversary concert cast for the movie, even if it would include Nick Jonas.

September 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. M. Meyers

Big names don't make movie musicals. Take a look at all of the past successes and failures.

September 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Kay

Hathaway is reportedly up for Fantine, not Cosette.

And it really doesn't matter if Valjan and Fantine have chemistry since they have no romantic scenes together and are not a couple.

Also bear in mind NOBODY has been cast apart from Jackman. There have been articles floating around claiming actors have been confirmed but noone other than Hugh has actually been signed.

September 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Booo

Anne is talented, but please God no! And please no to the cast members of Glee as well – even though they, too, are talented. Give us some fresh meat!

September 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. kevin

Russell Crowe would be perfect as Javert. Jackman should be great as Valjean. After all, Valjean is supposed to be a huge man of incredible strength. He fits that role and he is an accomplished stage performer. I assume Hathaway would be Cosette. That might work. I don't think they need to stock all of the leads with big names. Of course, if an actor fits a part physically but can't really sing, they can always revert back to the old Hollywood tradition of overdubbing.

September 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Ann who?

Who is Ann Hatheway? Some washed up nobody, why dont they have real talen? Im sick of news people ignoring talent like Lindsay Lohan just because she has trouble she is probably more talented in one finger than this "actress" is added up

September 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. lbw

Seen the show twice on stage and watched two PBS versions with excellent cast. Not easy material to sing.

September 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  45. SO WHAT

She is such a crappy actress. She has no facial expressions and is so drab... I dont think she will make a good Fantine character. Lea Michele would.. They should get someone who can actually sing to play the roll!

September 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Tinkerbell78

This makes me cringe....

September 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  47. vassaralum

She's got the pipes/chops to do the job... She surpeized her director in Elle Enchanted that she had the whole package to do the job, covering Queen... And, she did an admirable job... Although she didn't graduate Vassar, we'll claim her, and give her the props she deserves... She'll do a great job!

September 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Craig in KC

Am I the only one that knows it is Les Mis and not Les Miz? Just wondering.

September 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Shelly

She happens to have a great voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mdanger

I think it would be great to see a musical adaptation of the film, as much as I love the non-musical film. I've seen Les Mis on broadway several times and I have to say that I just hope they don't try to make it too fluffy and hollywood. It's a gritty and dark story and I'm afraid some of that may be lost.

September 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tinkerbell78

Ditto. It's a fabulous musical that requires actual SINGERS! Not Hollywood fluff.

September 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • WLM

Agreed!! Lea Michele would be great!!!! Lets get a real singer to play the rolls!

September 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  51. rabbimuhammad

s/b Lez Miss

September 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Canadian Jim

I hear Charlie Sheen is available these days. He'd make an interesting Jean ValJean. And perhaps Kim Kardashian as Fantine. How about the Jersey Shore does Les Miz. It would appeal to the bulk of TV watching America.

September 1, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah

Seventh Sign, anyone? I thought Jersey Shore itself was the Seventh Sign, but seeing those clowns on the big screen? Nail in the coffin.

September 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  53. chasm

I'd like to see Anne in this film, but I'd really like to see her in her birthday suit.

September 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • BobG

Love and Other Drugs. The most beautiful pair of all-natural boobs! I'll take a pair of all-natural B-cup beauties any day over D-cup gel bags.

September 2, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  54. Really????!!

I think Kristen Chenowith and Edina Menzel need to be considered!!! THEY HAVE TREMENDOUS VOICES and CAN act!

September 1, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • TimSul

I'll second that... Kristen Chenoweth would be great!

September 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeavenHelpUs

First of all, check your spelling. Second, I can understand Idina Menzel to a certain degree, but Kristin Chenoweth fits no role is Les Mis... unless they write in a role for a tanorexic little person. Let's be serious.

This whole idea is a travesty. Just cast Gwenyth Paltrow and make it a full blown train wreck.

September 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  55. TAA

Sounds like a winner. That would be one movie I would pay to see! (as long as hathaway and jackman are in it)

September 1, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  56. Jaba

I'm guessing none of you work as casting directors or credible film critics. just a hunch!

September 1, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  57. Rock

Id eat that for 3 weeks straight

September 1, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  58. BL

The single most overused, under talented, bland, white bread mediocre actress working today

September 1, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  59. karen

Love Hugh Jackman. he is soooooo HOT. I think their chemistry will be great and I hope she gets it.

September 1, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  60. PakrBakr

There is no comparing this cast to the one from Phantom. Jackman was a musical star before he was an action star. He was nominated for an Olivier (Brit version of the Tony) award for Oklahoma and won a Tony award for the Boy from Oz. And Hathaway can actually sing as well. Not sure about some of the other potential casting. Love Helena Bonham Carter but after seeing her in Sweeney....not sure she should be cast in another musical movie. I'm hoping to God they don't cast that Jonas brother as Marius like they did in the recent anniversary concert. Ugh....talk about being way out of his depth.

September 1, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Miz fan

I totally agree about Nick Jonas. He can carry a tune, but his voice was so nasally in the anniversary concert. But, Alfie Boe, in the anniversary concert, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! What incredible talent and control.

September 1, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  61. blah9999

how many times are they going to remake this?

September 1, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  62. Midwesterner

Who cares about Hathaway and Jackman (who both can sing), but how much fun to see Crowe and Bonham Carter as Monsieur and Madame Thenardier. What a hoot they would be in those roles.

September 1, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Will

I'm guessing Geoffrey Rush as Thenardier and Russell Crowe as Javert is where they are leaning.

September 1, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

So, this would be a film adaptation of the musical? So, an adaptation of an adaptation? I fear much of the original novel would be lost. :(

September 1, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah

They already did the original novel several times, including one with Liam Neeson. And Geoffrey Rush, for that matter.

September 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Big B

What about Lea Michele?

September 1, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  64. Renee

should be interesting, but for me no cast with ever compair the with Les Miz Dream Cast.

September 1, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Tinkerbell78

I completely agree with you. I have the CDs and VHS. So wonderful. Gotta love MB... :)

September 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  65. jon

Wasn't there already a "Les Miserables" film? .......Oh wait, someone just dumped water on me and slapped me on the face. Now I remember. We're in the 21st Century and the only movies that Hollywood produces for the big screen these days are remakes and sequels.

September 1, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • SLH

There was a movie version a few years, but it wasn't done as the musical. It was a movie script based directly on the novel.

September 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  66. emvee

NO no no no no no, did I mention NO?
    WAIT – UNLESS – She is Madamme Ténardier

September 1, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  67. Pez

Can't wait to see Hugh Jackman in this one!

September 1, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  68. thenavigator8

DEFINITELY that will be AWESOME!!! cant wait to see Anne Hathaway Sing Again in the Film!!! =)

September 1, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  69. divamommy

@JBD Emily Rossum is great in Shameless. Her appearances in over 20 operas was as a member of the children's chorus at the Met. She left when she was 12. She wasn't an "opera star", she was one of 50 or so kids who sing together as choristers. She was serviceable in Phantom.

September 1, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • phantom

She was great in phantom considering the fact that that is a nearly impossible act to follow. I can't think of any other actress that could have done better.....

September 1, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  70. Evel Knievel

All observations on her acting aside, she's got a butter face.

September 1, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  71. JBD

Hey, xjdavid, while I'll agree that the singing in Mamma Mia was lamentable, asfar as Phantom goes, Emily Rossum has appeared in 20 different operas and sung in 5 different languages. Her voice is lovely and versatile. Try not to paint everyone with the same hate brush.

August 31, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruth E

I agree == Emmy Rossum was amazing in Phantom. I saw it twice on Broadway, and she was better in the movie than either of the two I saw on stage.

September 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  72. jac615

Uh, are you guys for real? Back to the QUESTION: Yes, I'm excited to see Hathaway in a musical. I think she's very entertaining and I enjoy her performances.

August 31, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • GR Down

Anne Hathaway has a beautiful voice. Have you not heard her? Jeez! Jackman won a Tony Award for a MUSICAL and has starred in Oklahoma! They both are the real deals. You forget that for musicals to be successful people actually have to PAY to attend the movie. No one in the Phantom movie cast had those creds. Give it a rest.

September 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  73. @portalpunk

you have made yourself a freakin' joke. give up and go back to mommy's basement. post no more unless you have something to say besides FIRSTY. loser.

August 31, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Is portalpunk the joke? Or are you the joke for thinking your paltry insult is going to stop a blog troll?

August 31, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

I actually find him amusing

September 1, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Get a room

I guess sometimes it's okay to speak up... and sometimes it's okay to let the little accident children play around a bit. You can't blame him for being a mistake. It just happens.

September 1, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Maybe it's my being dyslexic, but every time I see your "Non De plume" I see portoplunk. Which I thought fit perfectly after reading your posts. You know, what go's plunk in a porto'potty? Shouldn't need to be explained but you don't seem that bright.

September 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  74. John H

Anyone who thinks this is a bad cast probably just has some sort of resentment to modern day hollywood, and couldn't tell you how any of these actors/actresses lack credibility or talent. I think its a wonderful looking cast and i hope it is a good film.

August 31, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  75. xjdavid

Great, another film of a musical ruined by a cast of celebrities who can't sing, ala "Mama Mia" or "Phantom of the Opera." I'd seriously rather watch a taping of an actual performance of "Les Miz" with a great cast, than a bunch of "names" who can't sing.

August 31, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • spm

She has a beautiful voice!!

September 1, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Fox

I agree with the Phantom of the Opera comment. It was ruined by actors who can sing on key instead of actors who can sing. Having said that, Jackman can sing and Hathaway is not half bad. Chicago showed us that with good training it is possible to make an actor a singer.

September 1, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • jess

amen

September 1, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah

Well, since you have that option, feel free. In fact, why not do it now and spare us all your personal opinion?

September 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • PK

I agree, rather watch the the concert on TV. Why not cast those actors/singers that did the 25th anniversary special in the film rolls. (Alfie Bos) or even some of the original cast members.

September 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve G.

Amen to that! It sounds like this is shaping up to be a cast of a bunch of actors who love musicals, but don't have the raw singing voices required or the acting gravitas to make this a compelling adaptation. It would be a shame to do "Les Mis" such disservice!

September 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • MilwMark

I agree. PTO needed voices to make it successful, not just names who could carry a tune. Lea Salonga (a young Broadway legend who has one of the finest voices around) is the perfect Fantine, and the perfect Vajlean would be Alfie Boe from the 25th Anniversary concert. You can fill out the rest of the cast with big-named celebrities, but for these two roles especially, with two of the most tender ballads in Broadway music, PLEASE don't ruin it for us. No offense to Ms. Hathaway and Mr. Jackman.

September 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

pierce brosnan ruined mama mia...would have been so much better without him.
      I liked phantom.

September 2, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • creativetype

What's next A Streetcar Named Desire: The Musical starring Trace Adkins and Taylor Swift??? Oh god, someone just read that and said, "hey...ya know what?? That's not half BAD!!"

September 2, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Meg

I thought Phantom was good. Maybe they peed in your cornflakes too? And Hugh Jackman absolutely can sing. I saw his one man show in Toronto in July and he was AH-MAZ-ING.

September 2, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • dhhl

Hugh Jackman has legit stage musical chops ("Oklahoma!," "Boy from OZ") but I agree, I'm skeptical about the rest of the celeb names in this cast. I'm big fans of some of them, as movie actors and even as rock/pop singers...but something like Les Miz needs a very specific kind of musical skill. I'd much rather go for actors with real stage experience.

September 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

You've either never heard her, or Hugh Jackman sing, or you're tone deaf.

September 2, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thumper52

Anne was a singer before she was an actress; she likely would have been in "Phantom" but had conflicts because of "Princess Diaries." The assumption that she is some "name actress" who lacks singing ability is, well, completely wrong. As for Jackman, check any video of the two of them cutting up at the Oscars in 2009. Annie & Hugh would bring significant chemistry to a production of "Les Mis."

September 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Inspector Javert

Perhaps but don't forget Chicago. That had a bunch of celebrities in it and it turned out pretty good. You are right though I think that the casting has to be done very. very. carefully or this will be a disaster. Personally I think if he has the singing talent Christopher Walkin would be a great Thendier (sp?).

September 4, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  76. Wascaly Wabbit

she needs to play Morticia Addams. ghostly pale & bone thin. she got the look!

August 31, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • shawna

Uh yeah, which makes her PERFECT for the dying Fantine character. Do you even know the story?

August 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill

Not Morticia Addams, but maybe Lily Munster?

September 1, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • You r smart

its clear you know nothing about the musical... you must be a tan fattie based on your post.

September 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coralie

The Look? She's got a look as if she could eat a trout sideways with that ugly big mouth of hers.

September 2, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  77. Superhiro

Good for her.... Can she maybe... not be Catwoman now?

August 31, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Elvis

Am still waiting in the closet, luckily someone left their iphone in on of the coats so I can say hi to everyone. Hi!

August 31, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  79. dude enuff already

give it a rest, bonehead!

August 31, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Rock

First reply to the first post – beeyotch

September 1, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  81. Rock

Doesn't change my statement. And I thank you for your input. However, your fears arent warranted. Id be nice to her and still carry out my original thoughts.

September 6, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |