What's the deal with Gaga's alter ego?
August 29th, 2011

What's the deal with Gaga's alter ego?

No latex, no meat, no spandex and no crazy hats.

Instead, Lady Gaga sported a white T-Shirt, black slacks and a greased back 'do to open the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday. Always committed to the character, Gaga puffed on a cigarette as she moved across the stage.

Basically, if Fonzie and Ponyboy had a child, it would be Gaga's musical alter ego, Joe Calderone.

We first met Joe when he appeared on the singer’s single cover for “Yoü and I" in early August. And, fittingly, that’s what Gaga Joe sat down to play at the piano on the VMA stage.

Queen's Brian May played guitar while she belted the tune from atop her piano, spraying beer at the audience.

Gaga has sported multiple looks at the VMAs in the past. Were you disappointed she didn't change later on in the show?

What do you think of Gaga's musical alter ego?

Post by:
Filed under: Lady Gaga • MTV VMAs

1. Orad Soldanoe

hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

July 11, 2012 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. trish

she looked horrible. bad idea

August 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jzamppy

pop music is not real music...that being said...Gaga needs to just be a performance artist at the local art gallery.

August 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Captain Hetro

Gays, Gaga, lesbys, gah, they should all be thrown in the gene toilet and flushed like the foul smelling poop they are.

August 30, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Vryl

I don't think her "Jo" was tiresome at all.. I think it is because she was so immersed in the role, that it was so intense.. that could have been percieved as "freaky" because at some point it was difficult to ascertain what was real or not.. and that is what makes her brilliant.. a great actress.

August 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ENZO

I'M A LADY GAGA FAN AND I DID'NT LIKE THE JOE GUY AT ALL, I WANTED TO SEE THE LADY GAGA THE WAY SHE ALWAYS PERFORMS , IN FACT I WAS VERY DISAPOINTED IN THE WHOLE SHOW.

August 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

Everything she/it does makes me gag.

August 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. john

PHENOMENAL.

Most if not all Americans will not get it. That's a good thing.

August 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jmikal13Joey

How rude?!?!?

August 29, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jmikal13Joey

It is amazing how people can hate and be so mean spirited. Yes, Annie Lennox has done some like this and it was original then and it was last night. Lady Gaga took a chance and ran with it and to be honest it was entertaining none the less. So few can truly say the same about anything they do. So few are willing to take a chance in performing. Safe and secure it is not what she does. If you did not like it, then why did you watch the entire performance and even a day after still talk about it. She is a great performer and she has a better caliber voice than alot of current female stars, writes her own stuff, can play the piano amazingly, and who now does all of that? Not too many. Besides considering it was the MTV VMAs which showcase music videos and thier awards that you probbly saw on YouTube, Vevo or such wellyou get what you get. Overall, a great performance with a true rock legend (Brian Mays of friggin' QUEEN)!!!

August 29, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gregoutwest

I'm mid-40's and I enjoy most of Gaga's music and persona. The biggest kick I got out of the Joe Calderone persona was his monologue about his "relationship" with Gaga and how she wouldn't even let him in on her true personality. I think she is her art. Call that idiot or what not, but people are always hiding their true selves from others around them due to their insecurities about themselves. Gaga just does this with much more flair. It would be really interesting to know who the true Gage is although I would be surprised if we ever see her.

August 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Diana

Why is everyone freaking because she's dressing in drag? Ru Paul did it forever ago. So what?

August 29, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Wow

Everyone is freaking out because she looks creepy. She really does look like the Ralph Macchio, which should creep out every person who grew up watching his movies.

August 29, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim T

Rewind the tape and rewatch Adele. She showed the world again that you don't need 30 backup dancers, explosions, alter egos, fly around the stage, or stupid clothes to sell CDs. Her latest CD, 21, has outsold all others so far this year by millions and It's been number 1 all over the world. Why? Because all you need is a great voice and a great song. Gaga and the rest need to have the hype because there is not much substance or talent. You go Adele!

August 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Most musicians don't have Adele's voice. Does that mean they should stay home and never sing? What a weird idea. I can't sing either, but with a good drummer and bass player behind me I can rock a house.

August 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • gregoutwest

I agree that Adele did a great job. There are plenty of instances where Gaga has sung with just her at the piano. It is really quite amazing to listen to when she does that. I enjoy the fullness of her work but it's always refreshing to hear her sing along at a piano.

August 29, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Esteban

But Adele is still fat.

August 29, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. coder

not impressed in the slighest

August 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Suzzette

Over it. Lady Gaga is a very talented performer, but I wish she would just sit down, and play music. I have always thought her costumers were stupid/annoying. Dress as a normal person, and play music.

August 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Danimal

Of course this is nothing new, but it's still fun to watch. David Bowie was Ziggy Stardust and Garth Brooks was Chris Gaines. Ga Ga can do it if she wants to. Not everything has to be a completely original idea for it to be interesting and fun.

August 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  17. George

It is unfortunate that this woman finds it necessary to rely on so many gimmicks instead of her voice. It amuses the masses and makes her a lot of money but, in the end, dilutes her talent.

August 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Lance Bass

Not sure who Lady Gaga is but the Joe guy is kinda hawt. I'd like to perform on...erm...with him sometime.

August 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. ComeasuR

Mr Gaggag finaly came out with his true look.

August 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Irene

Tired, obnoxious and got old fast.

August 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. comment

people need to stop saying that other people have done it before her, like madonna, annie lennox, etc. obviously only one person can be the original idea starter, so at least one of them also isn't original.

August 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Daniel Allen

she makes one ugly dude

August 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jane

I'm 57 so I'm just giving you my opinion. Love her music. But the get ups are getting old. She is a beautiful young woman and I would just love to have her beautiful music come out of a beautiful person. That way she can't be accused of stealing from Madonna, etc, etc.

August 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. TheManJack

From the New Orleans Carnival Kings: google "drag king". We were flattered.

August 29, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

do any of your kings look like joe and if so can i have their numbers? :)

don't worry dude. people are dumb and don't understand drag kings like they do queens. They think there is only one brand of drag. i like to hope that things will change for you hot guys. :D

August 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. james

do u yall not realize that you and i was debuted on the album born this way which was released in june in part of gay pride and she is showing whether gay str8 bi or transg that u can do what u set out to do, i think a lot of u need a reality check

August 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. CHaoZZ

Stupid Stupid , dummest thing of the night was this crap.

August 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Tom in the Great NW

You are soooooooooo right, Mr. Muldoon.

August 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Moses Muldoon

These negative comments come from country Bubbas and BeckySues – also from the DAR, tea party, Glenn Beck groupies, and Rush Limbaugh heavies. Oh, and include all of those folks who will not admit to voting for Geoge W Bush.................................................TWICE, TWICE MIND YOU!

August 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Patty

Freddie Mercury is alive?

August 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tom in the Great NW

Lady Ga-Ga is what's happening NOW!
    LET US ENJOY HER AND HER VISIONS/CREATIONS!!

August 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bribarian

Anything for attention

August 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Karma

It makes sense that she dressed as a guy. She has a penis.

August 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. portalpunk

EIGHTYSECONDY!!! miss me?

August 29, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Gary Sea

Lady Gaga is the entertainer; Stephanie Germanotta is the person. LG can do whatever she wants on stage and all of us are at liberty to like it or not...and to comment either way as well. When listening to her interviews; it becomes very apparent she truly understands what 'performning' means. And quite simply; its exactly that; a performance. Just as many actors portray various characters in assorted roles which don't reflect their true behaivior or ethics. For example, Charlize Theron once portrayed an severely unattractive viscious murderer If LG wants to appear as Joe C., then so be it. I particularly don't find the Joe C personna attractive...but I still think LG ia a beautiful and talented muscian, singer, song writer and performer.

August 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mike

It is hilarious to see people say that Gaga is a "good singer" after the same show where Adele demonstrated what a good singer actually is. Nice try, Gaga fanboys/girls. Auto tune is the cancer of music. Support those who do not use it. And contrary to many fanboy's/fangirl's opinions, Gaga does use autotune. Listen. A trained ear can tell.

August 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. B-Mac

She looked like an Indian or Mid-Eastern guy...not Italian or a greaser or anything close. Well, maybe an feeble attempt by an Indian trying to be a greaser. I mean, the performance was great and all, but she looked like the evil prince in Temple of Doom...

August 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. PaulMcJagger

"Music" nowadays is more about the image, the dance, the outfit. So sad. Anyway, Gaga is the best at that aspect of music. I like her message but the drama overshadows it.

August 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. cara

I applaud her continued efforts to reinvent herself, but I think this one just missed the mark.

August 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  39. @Roxanne

It appeared to me that she was smoking and drinking last night. Looked like bourbon to me. Guess that cancels out your comment.

August 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  40. charlie crack

Recorded and just watched it.... Britney looked d@mn good! Daniel son look alike "wax on wax off" was disturbing though.....crazy....yall be good

August 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Matt

I loved this performance! She was on stage having fun and doing what she loves; singing, playing the piano, and dancing. If you don't like her, keep your thoughts to yourself. Don't say negative things about her – that doesn't make you a better person.

August 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Vincent Madison

Gaga (along with a lot of other artists) is the reason why radio is still around in spite of predictions of it's demise. Some people should be heard but not seen :)

August 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  43. GaGa Hater

Remeber all the rumors how Gaga was really a guy in drag? She is actually a guy. Her alter ego is Lady Gaga.

August 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  44. grits

I love journey, the Eagles, Jimmy Hendrix, Back, Beethoven, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, etc., as well as Gaga. She is immensely talented in whatever outfit she dons. I think she knows exactly what she is doing and getting rich besides.

August 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Joe

Hey Lady Gaga-berg – want to be controversial? Maybe stop trying to be controversial....

August 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  46. mejazzbo

Off the wall. It is all about drama with Gaga. I always get a kick from her antics. What next?

August 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  47. alex

Her antics are designed so that no one realizes that she has not one ounce of musical talent.

August 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Nope. I don't care for her much, but her music sells. Jealous much?

August 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Roxanne

I don't own any Gaga music, but somehow she fascinates me. Here is a girl who grew up bullied, alone, etc. Instead of turning to drugs/alcohol and diminishing her talents, she entertains us with excellent messages for our youth. So many children nowdays are commiting suicide because of peer pressures to be 'normal'. I think it is wonderful to see someone promote embracing our 'true selves'.

She may not be the first person to dress in drag on stage, who cares. She rocked it and gave a great performance.

August 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • NYUPSTATE

Roxanne: You really are a sheep. You honestly belive that Lady Googoo, who grew up on the post West Side of Mahattan, had a rough upbringing. Try to consider that is all part of her shtick. Again, her message is nothing new. We had after school specials in the 1970's and 80's on this topic as well as plenty of movies. All covering her lame messages to those kids who feel "different".

August 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

i agree with you competely Roxanne. :)

August 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

*completely

August 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danimal

I agree with you Roxanne. NYUPSTATE and most others on these message boards are only posting what they believe to be smart and witty comments. Being sarcastic and jaded does not equal intelligence. Anyone can see fault in others and throw daggers. Not everyone can see good things about people. So go ahead and start your insults everyone.

August 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. alecia

@frances glass why does everything have to have a "message"? you can just listen to it's music just because you like it. granted i wont because i dont like her but not everyone likes Journey and the Eagles either! by the way, which is its alter ego?

August 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  50. luffing

Very committed to the character throughout the show. She's good. A little scary, though. I was amused that Joe blew Britney Spear's icon-whatever-it was award right out of the water. Ms Spears was left essentially with the duties of introduction for the next act.

August 29, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jonah Levi

Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta is possessed by a demon who has named himself as the "alter". She is being held hostage, as her body is now the cavern from which a demon speaks. Y'sha (Jesus) can set her free from this, but He is allowing this visual demonstration so people who care about Stefani and want to see her saved will pray for her salvation through the blood of Jesus.

August 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roxanne

Wow...I am without words.

August 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tin Foil Hatman

I heard it was the Reptile Men from Far Below The Earth's Crust. But you go on believing what you hear from the Lame Stream Media, you sheep.

August 29, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Open minded

Lady gaga is doing nothing more than being a performer and switching it up every time she hits the stage. i would think people would be appreciative of that character. To me she brings a piece of theater and i love that about her. You never know what you are going to get. You some artist who come out and do the same thing as everyone else and cant sing a lick. She is so talented and so theatrical and people are so evil in their opinion. But i guess its hard for you guys to understand her talents being you only work your 9-5 basic, boring, unsignificant jobs with your cheese sandwichs for lunch......

If you dont like her and her style then keep it moving. She is still breaking the bank either way. STOP THE HATE and EMBRACE SOMETHING DIFFERENT....

August 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Nick

Her music is really good. Catchy as hell. Some of it is pretty stupid but for the most part....a talented women. But like most of the readers...I would like to see her more....well normal. Normal...i just mean not clothes made out of raw meat and dressing like a guy. Its like....Gaga feels she has to constantly "perform"....that she is constantly being "something". No one really know what SHE is like. It would shock the planet if she just looked decent.

August 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. frances glass

so because women have dressed in drag before Lady Gaga is ripping them off? It can only be done once?

I think she looks beautiful. I honestly hopes she switches to this "alter ego". She's lovely as a dude. :)

August 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  55. NYUPSTATE

I am in my 40's and I now know I am too old for this crap people call entertainment. Women dressing as men, yes, not new, but it has been done by more talented and more beautiful women than the GaGa. Marlene Dietrich, Julie Andrews (Victor/Victoria), Madonna, Annie Lenox......

She is not original (ideas) and not that musically talented. I wish MTV would bring some real talent and stop dumbing down our youth (thanks also to Jersey Shore cast). That channel has so much influene on kids and it consistently lowers the bar every year. Idiocracy will be reality in 10 years.

August 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

have you ever heard an entire lady gaga album?

August 29, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

i am not trying to argue. I also admire the other women you mentioned and of course they are superior to lady gaga. I'm pushing 30 and i used to feel the same way you did... but i think she's really great and especially great for teenagers. I wish we had lady gaga when i was like 13...

August 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

Thank You!

August 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roxanne

As a parent, if you don't want your child watch/listen to certain music or TV, don't let them. Since when are celebrities responsible for raising our children?

August 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  56. bezerkur

slammin America now huh? if not for America, Europe would be still controlled by the nazi party and england would be in ashes. no beatles, stones,zeppelin, sabbath or the rest. mtv has gotten lame i agree. but it is aimed at the youth. so whos to blame?

August 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  57. FrankMhere

Yawn.

August 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. David from FL

She was just trying to outdo herself. There is only so many meat dresses she can wear. I am not a big Gaga fan, but her acting was really good last night. Yeah, maybe it got old after a while– but I think it's still cool she did not come out of character. She was more of a man than Justin Bieber.

August 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

well, that's because beiber isn't a man yet! Lady Gaga needs a good shrink or she may end up being the next Chaz Bono! –Haha! and Cher gave Gaga GoGo her award!

August 29, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. AJ

I agree, we have moved past talent. She can sing but obviously she has issues. Thats the world we live in, the crazier you are the more popular. I feel sorry for her. Rich doesnt make you happy. Look at Hollywood.

August 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  60. David

Whatever you think, Stephanie is a master of showmanship. Everyone in entertainment should take a master class from her: "How to keep your name in the headlines".

August 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Texas

She looks better as a guy.

August 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  62. bezerkur

oh and everybody that says "its all been done before". duh really, tell us something we all dont know. its all been done before. you just learning that now?

August 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. bezerkur

way big difference from what kanye did. every bizzare thing she does is just a act. she may not be the 'pretty' girl but she makes up for it in her brillant musical ability and to keep us guessing whats next. other then the politics i enjoy her. i agree with previous comment. shes laughing all the way to the bank and to the haters.

August 29, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  64. MadCityBabe

my god – this broad does not have one original thought in her head..............all of this has been done before and by much more talented individuals....................

August 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mick Jagger

Individuals like you? Still playing little bars where they don't even clap, and she's packing them in? Maybe you should be trying the costumes instead of whining.

August 29, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  65. theStugatz

gimmicky. lame.

sad proof of how easily the generally dumb U.S. population is entertained.

August 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

Agreed–why I listen to underground rock and metal and watch foriegn films. America only offers "dumbed down" entertainment and suckers the mainstream into thinking these poeple are artists and have talent.

August 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  66. ME

I really like GaGa, but this is just creepy.

August 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  67. betty

I think that this is her"jumping the shark" moment. She's just so off the mark, a performance artist, she is not. Gosh I hope she saves her money.

August 29, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Dave

You haven't been listening..."It's a Man, baby" . Hermaphroditic, but a man anyway.

August 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

I love how you guys are all convinced she's got junk. It says a lot about you.

August 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  69. comment

why do people keep asking "what's up with her alter ego?" all you have to do is watch the music video, and it'll come as no surprise.

August 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Cest moi

I'm sure she did it because, you know, it worked out so well for Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines.

August 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • meg

hehe.

August 29, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Perhaps you should read on the initial plan for Chris Gaines. Garth only lent his voice to the movie that Paramount was to be making after the album came out. Garth never wanted to be Chris Gaines, or anything like that. He provided a soundtrack, nothing more. I think the album was pure genius.

August 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Badonkadonk!

I'll let Lady Gaga stick it in my pooper any day!!

August 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Raven

Alright cyberspace, i have to add a consecion to my last statement, thanks to another comment i read. i am not bashing on gaga's talent, or her music, i am commending that infact. what i am saying, and it is not to not put on a show, is simply that maybe they should try killing off some of their outlandish costs. i doubt they all need five cars and six grillz, etc.

August 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

I don't understand your complaint. If they have bazillions of dollars, why should you care what they spend it on?

August 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  73. eartenaj

Am I the only one that thought gaga pulled a Kanye West on Brittany? She/he could not stay away from the microphone and give Brittany a chance to accept her award. A real scene stealer....she/he could not stand dividing the attention or giving the attention to Brittany...

August 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trouble

I found it pretty ironic because Gaga used to write songs for Brittney and has now overshadowed her.... think on that

August 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  74. San Jose

She is a performer! An entertainer! And I was definitely entertained. It would be annoying if she couldn't back any of her acts with actual talent, but she has a really amazing voice. Gaga is extremely creative and talented, and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!

August 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Peace

My 1st thought,"Karate kid has an evil twin"? HaHa!

August 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • armymom

I totally thought that myself. She looked like a young Ralph Maccio

August 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Raven

Honestly, who cares about what lady gaga wears or dosen't wear. its just another person waisting more money that the economy dosent have to support them with on ostentacious things that they dont need. so forget the chaos and either enjoy the music peacefully, or get the heck out of cyberspace!

August 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  77. teddy

Gaga is a disturbed individual. Yes, Annie Lennox and Madonna did do these types of performances at the VMA's-yet they were done with more class, professionalism, meaning and with artistic credibility. This Gaga guy (or girl) is just gross, boring, untalented and, obviously, insane. I see nothing authentic about Gaga. It's like a watching a 4 year girl mindlessly playing dress-up and not having a clue in the world what she's really doing. She is offensive, filthy, silly, thoughtless and do not see anything that she does to be valid as artistic. She should be banned from children's eyes and ears.

August 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Viktor

And you're really classy? =) I'm 100% sure she knows what she's doing, I think she had a lot of fun performing on stage yesterday, her vocals were amazing and her piano skills are still up there! Are the VMAs really for children... I mean, the only thing that should be banned from children is religion.

August 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

If you think Lady Gaga is untalented, you're insane. She has an amazing voice.

August 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

Viktor, to say religion should be banned is like saying there should be no laws, no morals nor right or wrong-this is why America has turned into a giant t*uR*d floating in a cesspool.

August 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

Oh, yes, Donna singing in a boring monotone voice is so amazing. There's this thing called the world wide web and sirius radio–if you searched other stations and listened to other genres of music, you may learn that Gaga is far from talented or an amazing singer.

August 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Idunno Why

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I would disagree about her talent. She CAN sing, but her music (and forcefeeding it through every media outlet) is definitely not my cup of tea. With that said, I also would disagree with your assessment of her sanity...she knows what she's doing as it keeps earning her money.

In any event, I think we're finally at 14 minutes and 55 seconds...

August 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

you offend me.

August 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • brathead

You are an idiot! Personally I wouldn't let me children watch the VMA's let alone MTV. It is not for children...MTV doesn't really play much music anymore anyway. Shame on you for letting your children watch. There is far too much cussing and adult topics. Now as an adult I loved it! :-) But then again I like trash TV, it's quite entertaining.

August 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • theAntiELVIS

There should be no laws, no morals nor right or wrong.

There you go. And there should definitely be no religion, because of these five things it's the one that is actually worthless.

August 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Put a sock in it. She's not my favorite musician, but in the end she sells the music, not the costume. Let's hear YOU sing now.

August 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Jealous much?

August 29, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Timme62

Beats Bieber carrying around a puny garden snake all night.

August 29, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luwanda

Beiber should remove the chest wrapping so her breasts can breath. So tired of her!

August 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

i'm a lesbian and i've dated way too many women who look like bieber. it's super disturbing for my people and that's why i don't like him. lol

August 29, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  79. AliGirl

Yowza! That's a lot of look!

August 29, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  80. Yolanda Weiner

This is nothing new. Annie Lennox pulled the same stunt at the 80's grammys. You people are gullible and stupid.

August 29, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Viktor

I was born in the 90s... but I've heard this comment before, it kind of makes me want to watch that performance and learn something new. I love all types of music!! <3

August 29, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • PaK

yes – thank you – I was hoping someone would remember. Lady Gaga was not the first to do this!!!!!

August 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

ok soooo...

i am 27. i only own the most recent Lady Gaga album. I usually don't buy pop/dance albums, but i like it very much. It took me a long time to come around to her, but it's super catchy and compared to other crap out there it's WONDERFUL for tweens/teenagers. Her message is awesome.

and dressed like that i want to attempt to bed her. i admit it.

:p

August 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances glass

also annie lennox wearing a tux isn't the same thing as going in full drag. I do also like annie very much though and it would be cool if a younger artist WAS copying her.

August 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • jwats

most of us are younger than 40 baby, we were still in diapers back then!

August 29, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

Annie Lennox adapted her trans- gender look and kept it. Gaga changes and will change again really soon is my guess. She may show up as a totally elegant and conventional person. She is a reminder of Madonna who constantly re-invented herself. Gaga does that but pushes a little further. She is a savvy musician as well....which is a plus.

August 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Paine

um she's not doing this just for the hell of it, if you knew anything about gaga you would know that, shes playing her boyfriend who is the inspiration for the song, she didnt copy anyone

September 15, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Doodee Rustler

This is no alter-ego. This is just idiot Gaga giving you idiots what you want and laughing all the way to the bank. Seems the more stupidly she behaves the more fascinated you idiots become.

August 29, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  82. Who cares

I mean really...who cares.

August 29, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Viktor

Obviously you do if you're going to comment on here lol I would think that you'd just click on by..

August 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  83. maynerd

PEople are so easily amused these days

August 29, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  84. First

August 29, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  85. Ameila

Cool

August 29, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • B=Dog

TOTAL ripoff of Andy Kaufman/Tony Clifton.

August 29, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

i wish she would just come dressed in a classy dress. She's gorgeous. THAT would be a shock if she showed up looking nice. =)

August 29, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony Baloney

As a dude, joe could make me turn gay!

August 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • bb

No, actually boring at this point. Her alter egos/costumes ARE what she's selling. You will have to keep buying into the costumes to continue buying into her pitch. Maybe it's fun while it lasts, but at some point – for many people a good while back in time – it just gets old.

August 29, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

She is a very talented entertainer with a keen sense of what audiences will respond to. I wonder who helps her with these projects ? surely, she has other brains she can pick on besides hers.

August 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

She needs a break. These big outfits are mighty uncomfortable. I think right now she looks like Amy Winehouse.

August 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • k4815162342

Who knew Gaga was really Ralph Macchio in drag!!!

August 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Didi

I LOVED her performance with Brian May! Great song, great performance!

August 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

I think that there might be something wrong with her...him...it? I really like some of her music but last night was just irritating and stupid.....

August 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snarky

ZOMG, Prince was at the VMAs?! Did he sing Erotic City?

August 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • dale

God she is not only ugly as woman but even worse as a man. Nice try Madonna 2

August 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roxymuzic

Annie Lennox did it first.. and better.

August 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  86. frances glass

oh my god! did you discover that you can post other people's names on this section?! you big smart boy you!!!

get a life. you are totally jacking off right now you freak.

August 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |