Adam Levine lashes out at MTV
August 29th, 2011

Adam Levine lashes out at MTV

Hollywood has been all a-tizzy over the MTV Video Music Awards, but one celebrity was not happy about the weekend’s big event. Maroon 5 lead singer Adam Levine fired off nasty tweets about the award show all weekend, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The “Voice” mentor used his Twitter account to rant about the awards show, according to the publication. On Saturday, Levine posted this tirade: “the VMA's. one day a year when MTV pretends to still care about music. I'm drawing a line in the sand. F–k you VMA's.”

Dang, Adam!

MTV replied via Twitter, inviting the pop star (who was not nominated this year) to tune in to the show.

But Adam appeared to have no regrets about his fiery tweet, later posting: “still waiting to have my “jerry macguire mission statement moment of deep regret… not happening. phew!”

The day of the awards, Levine, 32, seemed to be a bit calmer. “I may be a pop singer. but every once in a while the angsty teenager in me just blurts out some raw honesty,” he tweeted, “it’s a reflex.”

Maroon 5 won Best New Artist at the VMAs in 2004 for their hit "This Love."

Filed under: Celebrities • MTV VMAs • Music • The Voice

1. curating content easily

hey there and thanks in your info ? I have certainly picked up anything new from proper here. I did on the other hand experience a few technical points the use of this site, as I experienced to reload the website a lot of times prior to I could get it to load properly. I have been brooding about if your web host is OK? Now not that I'm complaining, however sluggish loading cases occasions will very frequently affect your placement in google and could injury your quality ranking if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am including this RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

September 13, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Security Certification

This is very fascinating, You're an overly professional blogger. I've joined your feed and sit up for in search of extra of your fantastic post. Additionally, I've shared your web site in my social networks

April 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kathleen

MTV still plays videos? I never watch anymore as every time I flip by one show or another about teen pregnancy is on; I find it bizarre MTV still has music awards at all.

September 7, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. gmoni

I thought MTV stopped playing music like 15 years ago. this isn't new news

September 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. KajinPL

Can't say I disagree with the guy. Both MTV & VH1 fell victim to being all "reality". You gotta get a extra cable package just to actually watch music videos on their "sister" stations. MTV hasn't been good since probably TRL got cancelled and even then it was still on life support as far as I'm concerned.

August 31, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lamental Jester

I stopped watching mtv eons ago, coincidently, my headaches have stopped, lol.

August 30, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nokoolaidcowboy

Some idiots will complain about anyone. Adam Levine rocks for telling it like it is. He at least has more a voice than most of us will to point out that MTV has sold out to the morons that want to see teen moms and guidos. Reality TV is the opiate of the ignorant!

August 30, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lem

whoa! so many haters...maroon 5 just came to Detroit and actually put on a really decent show – their music is not for everyone but to act like they have no talent is just bs. Tyler the Creator or whaterver his stupid name is is the new breakout artist of the year? f the vma's is right. awful.

August 30, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Choad

Complaining about "content" on a network such as MTV is the epitome of redundant.

August 30, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kay

Today's so called stars are all about shock value and "look at me, look at me" just wanting attention. 95% of them are a total waste of time.

August 30, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ian

Wanting MTV to go back to playing music videos ignores reality. The music video existed in an era when access was limited. Artists still make music videos, and they are still occasionally shown on MTV. But you can also go to youtube and watch them at your own discretion. You don't HAVE to watch TRL or Headbanger's Ball anymore, so most teens don't sit in front of the TV and wait for the grab bag of music to come their way, knowing that they may only enjoy 3 out of every 5 songs. They can just go find what they like on the internet. However they do like the Jersey Shore and other reality shows. And that's what MTV's market is. Now most people will first consume music in the background to these shows. If they like it, they'll go online and get their fix that way.
    Are these shows crap? Sure. But teenagers have terrible taste in everything. As a kid who graduated high school in 99 (aka: the height of rap metal) I can say this with authority.

August 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jose San Antonio

I wouldn't blame the man for his rant. MTV is not about music anymore. It's a venue for garbage reality shows. The dammies and idiots show. When I was on my early 20s back in the 80s, I used to watch MTV beacuse of it's raw music. That was back then. Now, they just throw everything in there on what they can think of.

August 30, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Clay Carter

I don't know anyone who considers Maroon 5 to be 'music'. So...

August 30, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jay

I don't like maroon 5 because all of their songs sound exactly alike but but I like his point. Plus I saw him at a restaurant in vegas once and he seemed like a normal dude

August 30, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DARTH VADER

music videos are stupid

August 30, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. closetiguana

For all his ranting he's correct. But who's to blame? When teens are raised on American Idol what do you expect? The music isn't as important as the image. Lady Gaga is proof of that. She comes off as some threatening creature but plays music that would fit well on Glee or in some Las Vegas lounge act. There is good music still out there just go searching for it on MTV.

August 30, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • closetiguana

^There is good music still out there just DON'T go searching for it on MTV.

August 30, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. h-chan

MTV is still MTV but instead of the M standing for music, it now stands for moronic.

August 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Superhiro

Shouldn't he be mad at the viewers who are watching the non music based programming that MTV is providing? MTV's only showing what they know people will watch. If there was a market for a tv station that showed music videos, then they'd show music videos, but honestly, how many of you would actually tune into MTV to watch music videos when you can just as easily go to youtube and watch any video you want whenever you want?

August 30, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Iowan

Of course MTV is not the same network they started out to be! They have changed trying to keep up with what their target audience wants to see. Apparently, they have been successful so far, since they still exist. I haven't watched MTV in years. If you don't like what someone is putting out, don't watch it. No one is forcing us to watch the crap MTV puts on the air.

August 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Walkingchic

Geez – he already won 2004. Relax man.

August 30, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. RickJamesMemphis

Good lord,, who the heck cares about MTV and the lame VMAs?? I have a new found respect for Adam. The problem is not MTV, the problem are the countless mindless freaks that watch the dang channel.

August 30, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Matt

MTV, really? It is still on the air and people are watching it? Talk about the dumbing down of America. It should be called IDIOT TV.

August 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ben

I agree with his comments. MTV has had almost nothing to do with music for the past few years. MTV is not really about music, anymore than the SYFY channel is about science-fiction. MTV is mainly reality shows like Real World, Jersey Shore, and teenagers who are pregnant. If I want to see a music video, I go to Google.com and look it up. PBS has a lot of live music acts: Live at Lincoln Center, Great Performances, and other shows. PBS has a lot more to do with music than MTV.

August 30, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rob

I rememeber when Mtv played a few of my favorite videos, Michael Jackson's Thriller and Notorious B.I.G's Hypnotize, heck I even miss when boy bands like BSB and Nsync ruled the TRL countdown. Those were the days!

August 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Stuff It

Don't drink and type and hit send- just don't do it- it's always regrettable....... not that Adam is wrong, but his choice of words is not necessary and clearly screams "I'm DRUNK!" BTW Adam Levine is a F*$%ing SELLOUT! and i say that sober as a judge.....

August 30, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. tmhale13

I fully agree. You have to scour MTV to even FIND a music video anymore. Even the Spin-off M2 (that was started to refocus on the music) is being bogged down by idiotic shows. MTV used to be groundbreaking. Kids and young adults would flock to see their favorite music videos and programming based around those artists. Now they flock to YouTube to get their music video fix. Just change the name to the YouTube Video Music Awards and broadcast it via that medium already...

August 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Gary

Fortunately Rock & Roll will never die but the VMA have little now to do with it. It filled with a bunch of focus groups behind the scenes who know more about demographics than music.

August 30, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kim

His remarks should not come as a surprise to anyone. MTV has sucked and has become virtually unwatchable for most adults for 15 years. They play no music videos during the day and instead focus on mindless, garbage reality TV and stupid shows like "Teen Mom". It is pure crap and should not be taken seriously as a music station anymore. It should change its name too as very little music gets actually played.

August 30, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. C

The funny thing is they clearly don't care about music on that one day a year since half of the preformers are lip syncing and all the awards go to talentless "artists".

August 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  30. KY Gal

Adam was very busy on Sunday night, so he couldn't attend. He had a Very Important Gig playing at the Kentucky State Fair with Train. Hope he tried the Fried Kool-Aid... for real ya'll...!

August 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  31. NOGR8RH8R

MTV? It has sucked for 20+ years and we're just figuring that out now?

August 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. crissy

Hey, when you're right you're right!
    Can't remember the last time I actually watched a video on MTV...maybe they should start having reality TV awards in place of the VMAs....Adam just spoke the truth that most of us already knew.

August 30, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • crissy

And!
      If video killed the radio star than reality butchered the video star!

August 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. The "Real OC"

And to be honest with everything, the reality shows aren't "real". Just the reactions to something the producers set up. I rather have Milli Vanilli on TV than "Jersey Shore". At least I know that Milli Vanilli is pretending its real!!

August 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Early Riser

They play music videos, at around 6 in the morning.

August 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. InUrDreams

I'm glad I was around for the "good ole days of MTV" when they didn't have the crappy tv shows they do now. MTV today is awful and should be renamed RTV for Reality tv...it's definitely not a music station anymore...

August 30, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Oh Brother

This just came in my email box from the local film guild: From MTV casting:

MTV is looking for people in relationships with "bad boys", who just cannot get enough of them. If you often find yourself defending your boyfriend to your friends, family, and even strangers, then share your story with us! Does he promise to call you and 3 days later you're just hoping he'll text? Do you have to balance between the awful/explosive moments and the really great ones? We are looking for couples who appear between the ages of 16 and 25 who have been dating for at least 3 months. (rest removed for space)

So, I guess MTV is not going back to music any time soon.

August 30, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  37. SmarterthanU

Stop hating because you are now in your 30's and your music is irrelevant. And you refer to yourself as a 'pop' artist?? I thought you guys were supposed to be a rock band – lame. Go away one hit wonder.

August 30, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  38. chang

Tweentin is for the Birds,...grow a set.

August 30, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  39. Nina Blackwood

I WANT MY MTV

...back

August 30, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  40. erich2112x

What happened right under out noses, is that MTV phased music videos over to the pay cable channels like the Tube, and used the MTV venue to promote reality television which they actually quietly pioneered here in America with a show called the Real World which may still run today.

August 30, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  41. Leon

MTV has poisoned the youth in this country and has killed quality music. MTV should be detained at guantamo bay... oh hey did Obama close that? oh wait no he didn't, Oh yeah and why does Obama hate jews... also why does Obama suck at being president.... and yeah and why does MTV pretend to care about music.... I smell conspiracy

August 30, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  42. TooRelaxed

MTV left its Music TV along time ago and now just puts on crap!!!!. He is right, once a year they try and be a Music Video Network when I don't get to see any videos but every once in a while!!!!. I guess Jersey Shore is more important than MUSIC!!!!!.

August 30, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  43. Paul

MTV =
    Mundane Television
    Misogynistic Television
    Musically challenged Television
    Misguided Television
    Misnamed Television

and by the way, the now MIA "The Tube" channel was 1,000,000,000,000 times better that MTV ever was.

August 30, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  44. Paula

MTV = Moron TV

They have nothing to do with music and have zero influence on it. Thanks for having the balls to state it publicly Adam!
    They are all about making money off dumbing down todays youth.

MTV use to be cool and actually play, influence and represent music they were awesome.

August 30, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  45. shabaz

Absolutely right! MTV is no longer a video music channel. However, would they still be on the air if they were ?

August 30, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  46. Amnda

He is right! MTV should just do away with the VMAs...they are irrelevant these days especially to this new generation. You can even see how the award show isnt taken as seriously by the artists it represents anymore. The past few years have been horrible, and such a narrow grouping of musicians are represented. Until a 90s revival hits this award show is going to suck...our days are over Adam and that is the hardest part to deal with...

August 30, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  47. Manda

Levine is soooo right. I can't even remember the last music video I saw on MTV. It boggles my mind how they can even hand out VMAs when videos barely exist anymore. Perhaps YouTube should hand them out...that seems to be the only place you can see videos anymore.

August 30, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  48. anthony cristino

keep biting the hand that feeds you adam, your 15 minutes are about up

August 30, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

How exactly is MTV "feeding" M5?

A VMA has no credibility behind it. A "Participant Award" from a local fun run has more value.

August 30, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  49. Jeff

If you want good music you need to go to http://www.kexp.org

August 30, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  50. erich2112x

Greasy faced Jersey kids, that's not music.

August 30, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  51. MadCityBabe

omg the VMAs....they mean NOTHING!

August 30, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  52. EricLr

Funny, I don't recall hearing him complain about them back when they were still playing his crappy videos. I guess MTV only began to suck after they stopped giving Adma Levine money, awards, and publicity. As for people who say "MTV just isn't any good anymore," I would ask when was it EVER any good? Aside from a few occasional decent shows (like Beavis and Butthead and Headbanger's Ball, for me), MTV has ALWAYS sucked. Overwrought VJ's, awful videos, lame shows ("Remote Control" anyone?), etc. were the mainstay of that network even in its heydey.

August 30, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • UrAtool

He didn't mind because they were still actually playing music videos moron. Thats the whole point of the story and his Tweet.

August 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. marti444

I stopped watching MTV years ago! I saw where it was headed and didn't like it so I stopped watching the show along with many other shows that are either disgusting, raunchy or just plain stupid. The people on some of these shows just want to do anything to be 'famous', that includes treating others on the show like crap or acting so idiotic that it's ridiculous! Money is the only thing that runs these shows and since there are people that actually watch, the networks are the ones pulling in millions of $$$'s. Look at Jersey Shore; these people are making bank and all they do is drink, fight, cuss, drink, shop, drink, etc. But people watch so JS gets paid and the networks get paid. With all the problems of the world, this is what tv has become.

August 30, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  54. Levine hit the nail on the head

Adam Levine was correct and I support him in his tirade even though I'm not a fan of his or Maroon 5. MTV is a joke. I remember, as a kid growing up in the 80's, watching music videos like crazy. Sometimes, friends would sleep over and we'd stay up late to watch shows such as Yo! MTV Raps or Headbanger's Ball. Now, MTV is inundated with garbage "reality shows". All musicians should just boycott the VMAs since MTV doesn't care about music anymore. After all, they did drop "Music Television" from their logo in 2010.

August 30, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  55. Loopman

The guy does have a point, like him or not. MTV has become another example of commercialism at it's worst. If people want to see all of this reality crap, then create a reality TV channel and play that junk on it. MTV was created for music. Although the styles and types of music has morphed considerably over the years, that in itself could become part of their programming. Divide the music into time periods (80's, 90's, so on) and types (Rock, Pop, Rap, New Wave, Headbanger) and create shows dedicated to those types of music. Give those of us who really appreciate music something to watch besides a bunch of no-talent punks from Jersey running around acting as responsible as a two year old throwing a temper tantrum. Just my opinion.

August 30, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  56. GuestColin

I'm not a fan of M5, but the guy is spot on. MTV hasn't given a **** about music for quite some time. Well said Mr. Levine.

August 30, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  57. Dieter

Adam hits it dead on the nail, VMA is no longer about music, but more of stupid a quite frankly not funny skits and singers and actors who think they are big making a complete fools of them selfs and then they wonder why they are not taken seriously. What happened to a awards show that presented videos and showed respect to the producers and all the people involved in create ing these videos.

August 30, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  58. Awards Shows Suck

Does anyone even watch them? Does anyone even care? MTV forgot about music a long, long time ago.

Adam's right. F all the awards shows and the simpering sycophants who have anything to do with them.

August 30, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  59. Garry

MYV is a joke..it is not about music anymore, as someone posted, it is about sorry excuses for humans doing stupid asinine stunts to get their name in the spotlight. MTV at one time when they DID have videos was good..now i just pass it by....

August 30, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  60. marineace

What a whiner! Grow up – you're 32 years old already!

August 30, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  61. JP

He's absolutely right. They invest more in Jersey Shore and Real World than actual music.

August 30, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  62. Kathy from NJ

MTV used to be the best but since singers and bands can directly release their own stuff to the web and make a huge impact, they don't need to spend time with MTV. I haven't been an MTV watcher in years......I realize that I am older now because just seeing Justin Beiber or Taylor Swift makes me cringe....

I want my Food Network!!!

August 30, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  63. jb2817

It went from MTV to NTV now its just crap tv the only good shows are Scarred and Bully Beatdown

August 30, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  64. mmi16

You mean MTV used to be a music channel?

August 30, 2011 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  65. Adicus

AMEN, MR. LEVINE!!! Unfortunately, MTV sold its soul the second they deviated from the whole point of their channel (music!) by airing "Real World" years ago. That's why no true music lover respects MTV since music itself cannot be bought or sold...as in the case of MTV dropping music videos in favor of the needs ($$) of tweenies by airing reality crap 24/7.

August 30, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  66. Rebecca

Not saying that MTV should only play music videos but MTV and VH1 have taken crap reality tv to a absolute new level of trash. Not that some over the programming they have isn't entertaining at the time but contains nothing but CRAP.

August 30, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  67. veryTru

He's right. MTV shouldn't be handing out awards when they have little to do with music.

August 29, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Robyn

I love how 75% of you talk about how you dont like his music and blah blah blah. The fact is, he is right. MTV used to be the sh!t....now it is SH!T. I agree with the few people who have said that MTV needed a few shows to get a break from music videos. But can you honestly sit here and tell me Adam isn't right? Like him or not the guy has a point. And how did his appearance come up in this conversation? Him needing to comb his hair and shave was really stupid lol.

August 29, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Brian

MTV, along with Madison Ave, ruined what was left of good POP music. As bad as everything is, some great bands and songs still escape and are heard. Don't get me wrong, there was still crap being produced 40 years ago, but at least it was original. Now I think deals are made before the song is written. Think I'm over 50? You're good! I am!

August 29, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

A true statement. There is no more pop music. MTV has lost its way as does not promote the music that originally focused on – Rock. Hip Hop is drivel which Madison Avenue thinks we should all like no matter our ages or outlooks. I don't and can't.

August 30, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Brian

mtv is still on the air? you're kidding, right?

August 29, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Nelson

He's right though

August 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Herman

Comb your hair and shave.

August 29, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

What for? Does he have an important job interview or something to get to? He's in a rock band. That's the one job on earth you can have where you can dress however the f*** you want no matter how crazy it is and there are still people like you complaining about how he looks. What do you care?

August 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Wade

He's just noticing this now? Let's not pretend his little tweets are some sort of informational service rather than a self-promotional tool for tools like Levine.

August 29, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  74. scenestar

since when does "Baboon Jive" consider themselves "music"? Adam, u host a show that doesnt quanify as "music"....jokes on you son.

August 29, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • UncleTogie

Scenestar, with spelling, punctuation, and grammar like yours, why do you think you're any more qualified to comment?

What a joke indeed.

August 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • it's not alot

Uncle's right, and when your spelling is so bad that you can't effectively communicate, you shouldn't bother.

August 30, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  75. tyler

No he's not. He's hot, open minded, sweet and has a great voice. Great guy, with an opinion.

August 29, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  76. MTVBlows

He's 100% correct.

August 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheKid

I agree. And the name you chose to display perfectly sums up MTV.

August 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Robert

Levine used to be MTV's *itch. Why is he whining now? Not enough attention?

August 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Captbeefheart

Yeah, he's right. But he's still an egotistical whiny d ick.

August 29, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

And MJ was White. Pointing out facts not pertaining to the story is lame.

August 30, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Mitch

Ah, I remember when the first season of Real World debuted. I thought it was very interesting, having a real ensemble cast like that, seeing very different people interacting with each other. It seemed a good attention to it's music-based lineup of the time; the kind of thing that showed that no matter what "clique" one may belong to, no matter what kind of music one may listen to, we're all human beings.

Then the second season premiered and it was total crap from the start. The cast tried too hard to get attention, the editing was more dramatic to pull in viewers, but it just seemed fake compared to the first season. "Reality" television has gotten worse and worse ever since.

Little did we know that it was the beginning of the end. Now MTV panders trash of the lowest sort, focusing on the worst aspects of humanity. And music is forgotten, played at times when only insomniacs can see it.

I'm no fan of Maroon 5, but his statement is 100% correct. F-k the VMA, and f-k MTV.

August 29, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Kris

He was right on the money!!!

August 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Miguel

A sad day for Music lovers - MTV is just a memory of days gone by !!!

August 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Brian

I don't care much for Adam or Maroon 5 for that matter, but he has a point. MTV has lost its way, there are no music videos, no weekly countdown, nothing that links this MTV to the MTV we grew up on back in the 80's and 90's. The VMA's aren't even enjoyable anymore, there's nothing worth watching. I agree with Adam: F- the VMA's.

August 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • 7:45 a.m.....

on the weekdays flip your tv onto MTV *choir sings* there ya go, music videos. MTV's idea to not JUST play music videos is genius. I, personally, don't want to listen to the top 25 on repeat anymore than I have to. I would so much rather watch mindless reality TV and I would so much rather NOT ever having to listen to Maroon 5's cookie cutter songs ever again...so shove it Adam Levine

August 29, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really

@7:45AM...Let me guess, you;re 16 and pregnant? or 16 and sitting at home in the middle of the day watching MTV because you just had your baby.

Back to school with you...fool.

August 30, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jersey Sux

Ha ha. Maroon 5's music is beneath you, yet you watch reality TV. Classic. FYI, they'll both give you brain damage. You are indeed, a moron. Calling that garbage "mindless" entertainment is akin to saying that Charles Manson, "might not be all there."

August 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arlen

You can blame the corporate culture of America for today's MTV. Since it's all about dollars and cents, MTV decided to do what was smart for business. They can air 20 different reality shows at a very low production cost, OWN the shows, pay the "stars" of the shows very little, and make money on the back end with DVD. When the reality shows get too expensive, like say Jersey Shore, where now what they'd have to pay the cast so much per episode that it just isn't feasible anymore, they do spin-offs. And they'll own most or all of those spin-offs. Compare this to what they used to do: air music videos produced by other companies and pay for the honor of airing those videos and hope to make some money back on advertising. It's a no-brainer, really.

August 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Jason

He's not wrong. MTV is a joke. Music Television is what is used to be.

August 29, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Willy Brown

They quit playing music videos when they discovered they could put on dopey shows about booger eating morons and still call it MTV.

August 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • rkt210

...and found out that even bigger morons will watch it for hours on end.

August 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  85. dude

It's just MTV dude... nothing to get all riled up about.

August 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fore

I think his panties got all twisted.

August 29, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darshine

Wasn't that guy supposed to save the cheerleader and save the world? Or is that a twin?

August 30, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • BFD

But he's right.

August 30, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Murky Trash Videos

Video killed the radio star, then reality TV killed the video star.

August 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck

I remember the early days of MTV when Prince complained that they would not play his videos or other videos from black artists. I also remember when MTV used to be 24 hour music. I wish someone would grab that model or format and replicate it again.

August 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

@chuck: Every time they do that they get slaughtered in the ratings. Nobody's going to sit around and watch music videos for hours like they did in the 80's and 90's.

August 30, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pedro

There was a time that MTV drove a lot of music awareness and shone a spotlight on a lot of good music. But it has become as tame and trendy as Disney's music wing, and music has suffered for it. Kids who are into good music get it from the internet these days, there's no lack of access for those seeking it out, but it has become more of an underground commodity and those who are about pop stardom and a booming music economy are rightfully miffed that this once great music channel pulled a Bravo and switched formats to chase a few extra dollars. MTV had more to do with the downsizing of the music industry than downloads or the changing landscape of music formats ever did. They basically single-handedly killed pop music by getting a monopoly on it and then abandoning it.

August 30, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Mitch

@Dino,

Your obsession with race is pathetic.

August 29, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Truth

@Mitch, your denial of the truth is even more pathetic. You're probably a PC moron.

August 30, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  88. Troof

Dino you are so on the money it isn't even funny.

August 30, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  89. TIRE OF THE RACE CARD

1ST OF ALL BET IS OWN BY VIACOM, THE SAME COMPANY THAT OWNS BET.

BET RARELY, PLAYS VIDEO’S ANYMORE. IT’S REALITY TV, SITCOMS AND ONE SHOW BY ABOUT VIDEOS.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, THERE IS THE SAME AMOUNT OF WHITE TEENS THAT WATCH MTV AS BLACK. THEY ALL LISTEN TO THE SAME MUSIC.

WHY DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE ABOUT RACE….GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC AND I DON’T THINK THEY PLAY GOOD MUSIC ON MTV AND THE OTHER SHOWS “SUCK”.

I HAPPEN TO WATCH VH1 SOUL AND VH1 CLASSIC NEITHER STATION PLAYS RAP VIDEOS UNLESS IT OLD SCHOOL….

NO, I’M NOT A PC MORON AND YES I’M BLACK. HOWEVER, GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC BOTTOM LINE.

August 31, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |