2009 MTV VMAs
August 27th, 2011

Gallery: Lady Gaga's VMA style

Two Video Music Awards, seven quirky outfits.

The MTV VMAs are known for surprise moments like Britney Spears and Madonna’s kiss, and Taylor Swift’s subway performance. But, in recent years, the real question on viewers’ minds is, “What will Lady Gaga wear?”

The “Edge of Glory” singer, whose - dare we say - legendary meat dress from the 2010 VMAs kept us talking for weeks, will open the awards show on Sunday night.

Take a look back at her many VMA looks.

Post by:
Filed under: Lady Gaga • MTV VMAs

1. Josie Chang

Lady Gaga is a true living legend. Love her "you and I." The best song ever. Just heard Lisa Lavie's cover on lisalavie1 youtube channel(http://www.youtube.com/user/lisalavie1) Really amazing!

September 6, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Observant Earthling

Lady GagGag: untalented, unoriginal.

Moving on: electronic music *DOES* have true talents, but those like with Trent Reznor and such (look him up, LadyGagGag...you might learn something) who makes the albums straight from computer syth and then does not bother with vocal autotuning. Extreme talent that GagGag simply will never understand.

August 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jennifer

Uh, wrong caption. Lady Gaga was performing "Paparazzi" covered in blood, not "Poker Face"

August 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rayster123

Has anybody seen how beautiful her hands are? Her fingers are like candles and that is beautiful in a person.

August 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lauren Ring

It's been a while, but the picture from the 2009 VMAs that says she performed Poker Face in fake blood, wasn't it Paparazzi? Or did she do Poker Face after Paparazzi?

August 28, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jan

C'mon CNN... She performed Paparazzi, not poker face.

August 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ashley

Brad is right, the blood performance was Paparazzi, NOT Poker Face. There has to b at least one little moster on the staff....

August 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brad

Whoever edited this story is an idiot. The one where it says she was covered in fake blood for Poker Face... yeah no... try Paparazzi.

August 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. UnfortunatelyClueless

Can anyone please explain the FIRSTY thru WHATEVER_IS_NEXTY for me? I'm so sorry if I brought the troll back to life by asking. – Thanks

August 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. skidead

I agree those type of bands will never make it such as:Kiss / alice cooper / Motley Crew / marilyn Manson / insane Clown posse.
    Its SUPPOSE to be fun!!!!!

August 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. FIX IN TX

@erich2112x ~ You have not missed anything. The VMA's are on today 8/28.

August 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jim

Another hideous, talentless dweeb – dressed like a clown. Major talent my a$$! Ugly, too.

August 28, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. erich2112x

Damn, I missed it again this year. I need to start putting the VMA awards on my caledar. I've missed the last 10 years in a row.

August 28, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. fernace

Ps. Why are there still MTV(music television) awards when theres no music on MTV!? All they show now are people acting stupid at age16, 22, 35, etc.!I see enough of that in real life & don't need to watch TV to see it!!

August 28, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. fernace

Stefani Germanotta is a talent, but the music industry isn't happy with just talent! You have to get their attention which LadyGaga has captured beautifully! She will do anything to keep that attention, so she can keep singing her songs! It's a trade off that has now become her trademark! Btw, Amy Winehouse was also a talent, but she couldn't handle the pressure so now she's dead!!

August 28, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  16. SKY

LADY GAGA DRESSES LIKE A CLOWN -WHY?
    THERE IS A GROUP THAT LIKES TO BE SHOCK
    THEY HATE THE NORM, SO SHE IS MAKING
    MILLIONS DRESSING LIKE A CLOWN
    SO CLOWNS JUST LOVE CLOWNS!

August 28, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  17. Pliny

I'm still waiting for a gaga song that anyone will remember next week.

August 28, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  18. Giapet

Gaga's ok.

Portalpunk is amusing himself, much like the self-righteous prigs who complain about him.
    Relax; it's only the Marquee blog; it's not like we're talking Nuclear Disarment here...

August 28, 2011 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  19. May the sun smile upon you

@portalpunk: nothing wrong with a little harmless fun.

August 28, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. Steve

So many thoughts rush to mind: ugly, retarded, unoriginal, boring, without merit...

August 27, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Don't be so hard on yourself, Steve.

August 27, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Don't beat yourself too harshly Steve. Those descriptors do not even come close to describing this talented artist. Pop music should be grateful to Gaga for reviving it out of dark ages. Imagine hiphop and rap ruling the airwaves for decades. Thanks GAGA for bringing POP again into the forefront. No more 50 cents, etc.

August 28, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  21. Wayne

I never knew who Lady Gaga was a while back. I heard everyone talking about her. I cam from yesterdays music and know music has changed and I guess there were times I was critical too. But I feel it's a waste of energy so I try and focus on the bands/artists I like. I heard Lady Gaga sing and I thought she had a really good voice/and she sang well. Some artists create an image and the modern teens like her. It works and she is well known. She is a really good artist. I heard her playing piano and singing. she plays/sings well. I hate to judge her. Truth is she is good. She is very talented.
    She plays live without auto tune. There are bands that are live bands and train for that and there are study artists. There's everything in-between really.

See the bands of yesterday like The Bee Gees, Beatles, Stones, Police, Guess Who, Who, Eagles, Queen, Santana,
    Led Zeppelin, Elton John, The Dooby brothers, & so were natural bands that came about and grew into what they were over a natural process. Everything has been done and things changes to visual with video's perhaps and that natural process where bands that have songs that will last the test of time is not as easy as it was. But there are lots
    of great singers these days. And there are more styles of music today. Young people seem to like it. We still have the records/tapes/CD's so we can play what ever we wish. Every generation has their greats and things change. Sometimes there are great bands that don't become famous/known because they don't have the vanity required today.
    Or the system changed were it's not as easy to secure a record deal. Video's and loss of record sales do to the internet changes the system too. But I believe live performances are just as great as they ever were. If we want to bring back some of that old fashion magic tunes we have to go for it and do it like they did a long time ago. I liked Oasis as well. They are/were one really good band. In the old days they did not have a lot of the gadgets that they have today but how many Micheal Jackson's are there today... Prince was cool. In the old days I think it was more demanding but some people try and work hard at it today as well. Love the Beach Boys and Elvis. The Beatles were FAB.

August 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jojoba Mwatenge

Dis Lady Gaga person you all love so much must be a witch. She got you under a spell to love her. In my country, de witches do these things, but you can break de sspell. you must plug your ears and not listen. If she keeps bewitching you, you must cut off her hed withh a machete. dat is de only waay to stop

her.

August 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Bri

We get it, Gaga. You're crazy and "creative." :::yawn:::

August 27, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Carolyn

The real legendary meat dress is in Minneapolis at the Walker. Gaga is in no way "original", just sensational. Requires less creativity, you know.

August 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. beezer

she should geta better jock, her nads sometimes show

August 27, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. dawn01

get to this http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

August 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. May the sun smile upon you

I would like to see Lady Gaga just the way she is, i.e. without the outrageous apparel, makeup, hair, etc. Be real, just for once?

August 27, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. iliketurtles83

CNN – first, the grammar listed in your slideshow should be correct. Second, she was performing Paparazzi, not Poker Face. Seriously, where do you get these reporters? Fail.

August 27, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. itsamemario

music elitist are tools. just cause somebody strums an instrument doesnt mean anything. im not a gaga fan but elitist of any stripe can go eff off..

August 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • JosefBleaux

She knows how to market herself. And more power two her. I don't like her music either but you gotta admire her. She's made millions. Lot of jealous people here. I don't like rap or country but I don't put it down, nor the performers.

August 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Pavlik

A working cLASS hero is something to be, not this crap

August 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Coolius Unroolius

Undertalented, overrated, and the darling of the undereducated masses. They should send her to Afghanistan to clear mines. Her theatrics simply cover up the fact that she is a crappy musician in an era of lousy music. Try and take some music lessons, learn to play an instrument, and then see if you still find this type of garbage to be entertaining.

August 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honju

You obviously haven't seen her perform on a piano with no audio just her voice before, she has more talent singing live then 90% of today's "Musicians".

August 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Syd

She was accepted into Julliard at age 11, and she attended Tisch School of the Arts at age 17, one of 20 people to get early acceptance. This girl is incredibly skilled, and just because you have a problem with the way she dresses and the success she has recieved, doesn't mean she has no talent. She is one of the few artists in this decade of bland pop music to bring something different to the table.

August 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

All her credentials don't seem to prevent her from making crappy, talentless pop music. Maybe she's capable of making good music, but unfortunately she still doesn't actually do that. All the stuff on her albums is pure pop trash.

August 27, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branches

How about you're just not into her style/music? I swear, we get behind computers and suddenly think the whole world is at our fingertips to judge. Quit the elitism, your tastes are no better than anyone else's.

August 27, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

I'm sorry but am I incorrect with my judgement? Pop music takes no talent. Fact. Voice is autotuned, track is sythetically generated, no instruments being played, and perhaps 3 sentences worth of lyrics if you're feeling generous. That is what you call a talentless pop song, and Gaga makes NOTHING but music like that. Every single she brings out follows this talentless format. Sorry, but if you autotune your voice and synthesize your tracks, then what musical talent can you claim? I'd say you could call her a dancer, but she's not particularly talented at that either.

August 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branches

And talent is subjective. You may find very little value in electronic music, but I assure you others genuinely enjoy it. I appreciate Lady Gaga for writing all her hits, playing piano, singing very well, giving captivating performances, her creativity, and succeeding in capturing the era's zeitgeist.

Electronic music is simply a different type of art. There's no use claiming there is less talent involved in making it simply because a track contains synthesizers and altered vocals (which are used to give the song a desired effect). I don't judge a good book on how hard it was to make, but how efficiently it moved my spirit.

But like I said, talent and art are subjective. We simply share a slightly different criteria for what we find to be impressive, and that's OK. We don't need to agree on everything. But we should NOT objectively call other people's personal tastes "trash". It may be so to us, but who are we to decide what another has experienced?

August 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

Your personal taste in music may be subjective, but talent is not. You may like her music, and that's fine, but you liking it doesn't make her talented, just like me saying she isn't talented doesn't make her untalented. However, talent can be accounted for objectively LIke, I said, talented singers don't use autotune. Talented music producers make their own background music. Talented musicians play their own instruments. People keep mentioning that Gaga plays the piano, but certainly not in any of her mainstream hits. Having "good performances" and "creativity" are subjective. Actually BEING a good singer and musician is not. Being popular and being talented are not the same thing.

August 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branches

I think you proved my point in your own writing. I have listed qualities that personally make me like Gaga, but I have never taken those qualities to be objective, because I understand that people may interpret them differently. Talent is accounted for "objectively" only in the sense that it relies on the standard that society sets in that given time period as being "valuable". Gaga, in order to acheive popular praise, does need to somehow fit into this standard. But that is where things get complicated: people have all different kinds of views on how much credit she should deserve, and it's because they define this cultural standard of talent (and what it entails) a bit differently.

Suppose your favorite singer releases an auto-tuned single, would that discredit her talent in your eyes? If BEING a good singer/musician is as you say, objective, then why can't we objectively name the best musician by holding him/her up to a "supreme" standard of talent that cannot be changed? Why can't we simply create a rubric of what the most talented singer needs to have and simply cross out names who don't "score the most" without argument?

It's because we have all experienced different things, and those experiences resulted in us connecting to artists in many different ways, appreciating them in different ways, and finding some more "important" than others. Neither you, I, nor the standard is correct about Gaga's talent; correctness and truth does not exist within art.

August 27, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Superhiro and Coolius obviously haven't listened to Gaga's music. This lady can sing and is the sole responsible artist for reviving POP back into the airwaves and into the forefront of our society again. Gaga is talented, works extremely hard to keep our attention, and deserves every accolade she's been receiving now.

August 28, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh M

Whether you like her music or not, she has you debating about her online. She must be doing something right. I for one think she has a great voice and can play a piano very well. By the way, her tracks: "You and I" and "Brown Eyes" are piano works that she has proved this with, and everyone uses auto-tune, not just pop artist. It sells more copies. =P~

August 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. John Moser

She performed "Paparazzi" covered in fake blood.

August 27, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  33. portalpunk

FIFTHY!!!!

August 27, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt Black

Portal Punk: you are NOT funny. I've watched you do this junk for months and this is the FIRST time I've chosen to say something. Being "Firsty" to comment Etc is NO achievement. NO ONE cares other than you – and me momentarily, dashing off a weary reply – to tell you this sort of thing is just silly. Go do something else – there is a whole WORLD out there beyond your computer keyboard. Trust me. There are a whole lot more, er, firsts in the real world for you to go try.

August 27, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenna

@Matt: agreed. I've seen portal's lame posts over & over again and like you, I just roll my eyes and ignore them. But since you posted, I'll second your thought. Not only are portal's posts lame, they're pathetically tiresome & sad. Portal's obviously a bit of geek who momentarily feels a cheap cyber thrill by posting these tired comments. Too bad CNN doesn't have an "ignore" button on these threads.

August 28, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

Please don't feed the trolls. Some require a very long time to die, like portal here, but eventually they will die if you ignore them long enough. Any comments they receive instantly bring them back to full health, so it takes time and determination to starve them to death.

August 28, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. portalpunk

FOURTHY!!!!

August 27, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  35. May the sun smile upon you

Does it live near a cliff?

August 27, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  36. Schmedrick

you shoulda kept walkin'... right off the cliff.

August 27, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  37. Sam

Boring troll is boring.

August 27, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ty Tymkovich

Ty Tymkovich says CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.

August 28, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |