Missy Elliott: I think about Aaliyah every day
August 25th, 2011

Missy Elliott: I think about Aaliyah every day

Editor's Note: In the exclusive post below, hip-hop artist Missy Elliott reflects  on the 10 year anniversary of her friend Aaliyah's death. Elliott writes:

Today is the 10 year anniversary of Aaliyah’s passing and I’m sitting here reminiscing and playing music, thinking of the times we spent together, working, laughing, singing, dancing, cutting up. But really, it’s not all that different from any other day because I do think about her every day.

Not on purpose, but she is my friend and that’s just how I do. I’ve told the same stories for 9 years – how we met, how me and Tim were scared but Aaliyah was so welcoming and had this smile and way about her that put us at ease, that she liked to take chances and we were able to just be who we were and make good records together.

She loved playing jokes and that’s another part of her personality that made it fun to be around her. As a talent, I think she’s missed because she was unique and a true triple threat. She could sing, dance, and her acting was starting to take off.

I’m glad for the memories I have and the time we got to spend together, but I miss my friend.

Rest In Peace and Power Baby Girl.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. pregnancy information

Thank you, I've just been looking for information approximately this subject for a while and yours is the greatest I have discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure in regards to the supply?|What i do not understood is if truth be told how you are now not really a lot more smartly-favored than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

September 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Aalihya Harmon

I wish I could have known her. My parents named me after her. They said she was an amazing artist. I wish I could talk to Missy so I could hear all about this amazing person I never had the chance to meet. I love her music!!!!! Have a great day Missy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Safiera

hello I'm a big fan of aaliyah.
    I want to say a few things.
    Aaliyah was a beautiful girl
    with a lot of talent,
    she could sing beautifully, she could still dance and acting.
    pity that God took her so quickly.
    the day when I heard that she was deceased,
    I was five years old, I can still remember
    my TV was on, and i saw the plane
    I started crying, my mother tried to comfort me
    How could someone that was so beloved die?
    Every time I hear her songs I cried.
    but if I keep crying, she never rest.
    So I comfort myself with this ..
    aaliyah was a great singer
    a beautiful girl.
    with great talent.
    and even though she is out of sight.
    she stay in our heart.
    God needed a great angel
    and he took you.

iloveyoubaby girl

January 7, 2012 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. piwe

I must be the biggest aaliyah fan there is till this day my blackberry has all her songs and videos literally I still can't believe she is gone everytime I watch them videos a tear must come down my face! We Miss You Baby Girl And We Will Always Love you

November 5, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mitchi

Love You Baby Girl and miss your music

November 2, 2011 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Brigit

I MISS Aaliyah sooooooooooooooo much R.I.P. Aaliyah I LOVE YOU

August 31, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. keepoo

If Aalyiah were still alive, Beyonce wouldn't be as famous as she is...sorry to all the STANS just my opinion...Aalyiah dying gave Beyonce the open door to superstardom... IMO. Aalyiah was wayyyy more talented than Bey, but at the same time, they are 2 different artist. RIP Aalyiah

August 30, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Delano A Gravenstijn

every day we think about the sis we lost that is good that makes us stronger to go one are lives Aaliyah God is with you and so I and all your friends will never for get you miss girl RIP..one love Gods good for you...peace.2011

August 30, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. BrooklynGirl

Aaliyah was a beautiful person inside and out. She had a beautiful soft melodic voice. Her music reminds me of my college days. She will be missed. RIP. For all of the haters, please take your negativitiy somewhere else. Only coward hides behind a computer spewing ignorant, insensitive, and racist remarks. Please go jump off a cliff.

August 29, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chicha

I wonder what her life would be like now.

August 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Katherine

Missy Elliot DOES NOT think of Aaliyah every single day. Please. NO one thinks of one thing everysingle day we're human and we forget. Dramah be gone.

August 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. skeptic

Missy Elliott- I call bull$h!t.

August 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MissyMisdemeanor

RIP Aaliyah..I hope you are gittin yo freak on in heaven..gitya gitya gitya gitya gitya freak on

August 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NoDoubt

I remember when I first heard the news on MTV. I was in shock. I wasn't a huge fan but I liked her in Queen of the Damned, and she had that show on tv that showed her funny sweet side. She was a beautiful person all around. I was sad to see her go. RIP.

August 27, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. deb

Ten years, huh? Maybe it's time for a little therapy.

August 26, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. shamieya

how sad i wonder howd it willl be if she were still here?

August 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Biologist

Imagine what her corpse must look like now. Just do a Google search on "grave wax" and you'll see what I mean.

August 26, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  18. Guest

I think any loss of life early is tragic. I would like everyone to please remember others died on that plane as well. Just because they were "no names" does not mean other families were not hurting yesterday at all the memories as well. I have a family member who grew up without his father, his father was a hero and I have not seen his name or any of the others who died mentioned in the articles I have read on this anniversary. I hope they all rest in peace. We love all of you.

August 26, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  19. slickteigkc

such a beauty, gone way too soon, good to remember you sweet girl, rest in peace always till we can all sing together again!!!!! You are not forgotten dear one! Love you, miss you. Sing on sweet angel.

August 26, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  20. DJ PEANUT

Wow its been 10 years allready i still remeber that day like it was yesterday i was on 122nd & 7th in harlem chillin with my man stars & bath who was her label mate over @ virgin records & this was when the 2way pagers were a big form of communication @ the time & i had baths 2way & the news that lele's plane crashed came across the wire devistating word

August 26, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  21. jillclubb

She was so talented. http://bit.ly/pbtDM4

August 26, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  22. rachel

it is sad when a young person passes away before their time...she was a talented singer and she is missed...so be polite, she was someone's daughter, sister...listen to one in a million, that was her best song I think....

August 26, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sonya Dean

Baby Girl you're missed.

August 25, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. check it

August 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. A

I remember when I found out about Aaliyah's death. It seems like it was yesterday. I was away for the weekend at a party with friends of mine. Someone announced it, then confirmed it. What struck me to the core was that Aaliyah was the same age as I was at that time. And for a while after that, I began to think of my own mortality, and how I could leave this world as tragically soon as Aaliyah did at such a young age. Then 9/11 took place, and I was devastated.

It's hard to believe that a post tlike this could bring back such memories. But Aaliyah and her music defined a generation, and I'm glad I could be a part of it. Every time I randomly a song by Aaliyah, I think of my high school and college years. That's the kind of impact she had on many, many lives.

May Aaliyah continue to rest in peace.

August 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. juju

Rest In Love Aaliyah~~~~~

August 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  27. John

I had a store on Melrose Avenue called Nude ( now funfash.com) and she was a great customer – always friendly with a big smile. Gave us a great signed pic to put behind the counter. We were really hurt when she passed – the world lost a great person.

August 25, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Dea

Interesting. It seems they have already removed most of the "offending" posts which just leaves a few of you "good" people recommending that others drink bleach and gas for having an opinion different than yours. That's how you show respect for someone who has passed?

August 25, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  29. courtney

I remember when she died I was just starting high school my brother was lying in his bed and he saw Aaliyah photo on mtv and a the headline read Aaliyah died in plane crash just like Buddy holly he died the same way don't know too much about his music but seen movies about him I cried so much when my bother told me... we both loved and enjoyed her music still do what really makes it so sad she was only 22 year old so young. Right after she died here comes 9/11 I remember that too I was in school it was third period and I remember a teacher comes over from another classroom and tell my teacher that America is being attack and the whole class watched it on tv. 2001 was a horrible year 2005 was to New Orleans . If CNN wants to do a story about Aaliyah that's their choice . But let me guess most you guys that are trashing her are probably metal rock fans am I right? b/c rock fans are the only ones that trash and bash other music artist that does not do rock , but when Jani lane died no fans of other music genres trash him I listen to rock myself but you rock fans are giving rock and roll a bad name nobody cares if you don't like hip hop r&b rap etc why so much hate and racism ? no fans of other music genres trash and bash rock music and rock artist u guys got some serious issues, so no other music genres cant be mainstream and popular everyone suppose to just listen to rock and shun other music genres right ? no it 's called different strokes for different folks don't read articles about non rock artist if you don't care for their music then simple as that music is suppose to be fun not full of hate

August 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. sow

r.i.p my star we miss you a lot when i was young i always listin to your music

August 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Craig

wow has it actually been 10 years?I was 16 then,after Aaliyah's death and 9/11 the whole world changed.She helps represent that still naaive 9/11 time period that so much more open than it is today as passed just 3 weeks before.RIP babygirl.

August 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Susan

Has it already been 10 years? Seems like yesterday...

RIP Aaliyah

August 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  33. char

RIP Aaliyah – we think of you often too! I can't believe it's been 10 years!

August 25, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  34. AAliyah Fan

For all the people posting WHO is Missy Elliot and WHO is AALiyah,.........Doesn't matter if you knew them or not,....iteresting enough for you to READ the artical,...huh?

RIP AAliyah,....REAL people miss you,.................

August 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  35. MG

Really Missy Elliott???? I highly doubt you think about her EVERY SINGLE DAY!

August 25, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  36. IAMBeowolf

Tragic. Too bad she was a little too full of herself and needed to load 7 trunks of clothes for a tiny plane and yelled at the pilot when she was told not to bring all of that and it was too heavy. Guess you should listen to those who know what they are talking about sometimes.

August 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry

The pilot should have listened to himself, as he is quite dead, too.

August 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jaynicia

Ten years later, we're still wondering how much untapped potential died in an instant on a small island in the Bahamas...

RIP Aaliyah.

August 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

This the most simply, and most well said comment on this entire thread. You don't know how right you are.

Aaliyah was a legend far beyond her very young years, It still hurts that she was stolen from us before we could see how much of an international superstar she could have become.

May Aaliyah continue to rest in peace.

August 25, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  38. YourMama

"She was a true triple threat".... A "true" triple threat sings, dances and plays an instrument. Acting has nothing to do with it. She was talented, no doubt, but she wasn't a "true" triple threat.

August 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Kira in VA

I can't believe she has been dead that long.........

Also stop even responding to people who leave "Stupid" comments...... They are jealous because I'm 95% sure that she was more beautiful than every woman in their family and every woman they have ever dated (which I'm sure are few).. If their "Sorry" parents could not raise and teach their "pathetic" offspring then please be certain that you cannot teach them anything. Life does that and they will get theirs....... Everyone have a nice day even the people who don't deserve nice days....... Stupidity is Laughable... :0)

August 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  40. torrent

To John B: Please get your facts straight: Aaliyah did not over load the baggage and cargo air plane herself. Someone on the plane staff did that and they were posed with packing and loading the plane. Aaliyah's family filed a law suit against this company and this claim was settled out of court years later. Lastly, for the ignoramus who posted the question who? I suggest that you use Wikipedia the next time. I just know you use the internet to research everything else. Aaliyah was a very talented, intelligent, articulate artist and blossoming actress, who came from a great family back ground where both of her parents were educated, married to one another and wanted the best for their daughter in life. It's an unfortunate thing that their daughter's life ended at such an early age. She had so much life to live. Rest in peace!

August 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  41. The Woof

It's a tragedy when anyone pases but in looking at a lot of of the comments, it seems that she was truly well received by some of the public for her talent, but there have been a lot more deaths in which the person who died had a much greater impact on the world then just the little niche (entertainment) Aaliyah was in but then again it goes to show where people's priorities lie. And before someone calls me crass whatever, I've been alive to have experienced four assassinations, John Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, the attempted assassination of Ronald Regan, bombings of a Disoc in Berlin, a bombing of a US Air Base in Frankfurt and so on. So I'm not being uncaring with regards to Aaliyah’s passing, I'm just putting it in it's proper perspective. Death sooner or later comes to us all, who will mourn for you?

August 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • P-Pat

Woof ditto but I'm sure on the other anniversaries similar msgs will be posted.

August 26, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  42. George

Some people ought to get a life; if you didn't know Aaliyah then why are you commenting? This young lady had such a remarkable talent; what happened to her on that ill fated day was very tragic. She never compromised herself, in order to obtain fame. She always maintained her dignity, with an impressionable sense of class.

At only 22 at the time of her demise, she presented a tenuous maturity that is still very rare. To this day, I have yet to see another artist that reminds me of her. She was just way a head of her time.

No one can listen to her music without an under sense of the tragic waste of an extraordinary talent cut off way too soon.

August 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. harold

John B you are dumb as a rock. It is the pilot's job to make sure his plane is not overloaded not the passenger. Either you are stupid or just hateful

August 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Crystal

Oh! Has it already been that long? RIP. She is missed.

August 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Snarky

RIP Aaliyah

August 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Ella

Wow. So young! Regardless of what she demanded, the pilot should have known better and refused to take so much luggage. And I'm sure there may have been other factors involved to cause the crash. I wasn't a fan or anything, but I was 13 when she died and I remember my classmates being upset about it.

August 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. fernace

Aaliyah was a tripple threat & just beginning to make a household name for herself when she left the earth plain! I was as devastated by the news as if I had known her, she just had that kind of spirit, which she communicated through her music!Today I was singing "I Care For U" to myself, but didn't realize it's the anniversary of her departure! I'll always miss her, her music & her sweet persona! Soon we will also be commemorating Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes death, that same year only about a month apart! Both of these women-artists should be remembered with love & appreciation! Along with Selena, they are my musical angels! Peace & Power to the Angels!!

August 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. MsSmart(white)Grl

I'll always remember the day Aaliyah died, a horrible tragedy for her family, friends, and fans. She was a beautiful young woman with an incredible talent for singing, dancing, and song writing. Gone way too soon. I'm listening to all my favorite songs by Aaliyah today and even though it's so sad to imagine how great she could have become her family and friends should all be comforted knowing her beautiful music will never be forgotten. Oh yeah PS Stop hating – Aaliyah made great music for ALL people.

August 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  49. jamesnyc

such is the grieving process. It lasts the rest of your life. Best always Missy. Take a deep breath, let it out and take a step. Repeat each day...for the rest of your life...

August 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  50. john

WHO ?????

August 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  51. your mother

@Andrew, you do know BET is run by white people right ?

August 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  52. your mother

Ladydoc, your also not a fan of being educated either are you ? She wasn't rap hip hop or ghetto. IDIOT

August 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. lilacherring

You know you can not tell someone what they are doing or who they think about, I dont know Aaliyah personally and think of her very often, we still hear her music and still see her videos along with anyone else that has passed on and is a celeb so stop being ignorant!!!! People this is a blog about someone who passed away if you are not interested in her and her story or have negative things to say why are you even commenting, shows what type of life you have!

August 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Lilacherring

I miss Aaliyah as well and think of her all the time when I hear new artist, I still compare her to others like Ciara. She is truly missed and tears fall everytime I think of her talent and beauty.

August 25, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Retired Army in San Antonio

Are You That Somebody

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuWMW7hVdTs&w=640&h=390]

August 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Brew

I remember the night she passed. My friends and I were on the way to the club, listening to the radio, when they announced it. We immediately became saddened but decided to celebrate her life rather than mourn her death. I will always love her as an artist, person, and a beautiful young lady. Continue resting in peace.

August 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mr.MichaelAngelo

R.I.P. Aaliyah. Those that didn't get a chance to experience you while you where here physically missed something special. They will never understand how you changed the industry with your style, voice, and warm spirit. You are gone from this Earth but you will never be forgotten baby girl!

August 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. red

I remember that day. Being younger I would just take for granted the songs played on the radio, but now looking back at her music, her sound was pretty unique. I listen to songs now and it doesn't have the unique sounds like hers did with the collaboration of Elliot and Timberland. Didn't care for her acting capabilities, but she was just now getting started in that area and I'm sure she would have blossomed with her personality and talents.

August 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  59. SHelly

My son's birthday is today, but in 2001 he was 13 years old when Aaliyah's plane went down. He was so upset. He had a large picture of her in his bedroom. After that day my son decided to be bapitized because she was so young when she passed and he didn't want to leave this earth with being saved, becuase no day is promised. God bless Aaliyah. She was such a beautiful and talented young woman. And she is still missed today.

August 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMY

Wow...that was really moving. I guess something positive can come out of something so tragic. I loved Aaliyah's music. I was 16 when it happened.

August 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. JoJo

Yes, I remember it as well. EMP-TV going on and on about Aaliyah, and hardly a word said about Layne Staley.

August 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Layne

Maybe b/c she died in a tragic plane crash, while he died with a needle in his arm? Just a thought. I'm a fan of both, but one death is quite different from the other.

August 25, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Real fans don't troll

Every generation, there is one tragedy that makes us all feel "less" invincible…. And to me the PREVENTABLE death of Aaliyah Dana Haughton one of them.

August 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mzshay515

If you don't know who Aaliyah was then you missed out on an amazing artist. I grew up listening to her music and can say I was very upset when I learned she had passed. This 10 year anniversary effects me most, because I'm 22 years old now, the same age Aaliyah was when she passed. I can't imagine being taken away from my loved ones at this age especially when she had such a promising career ahead of her. You will always be remembered Aaliyah. RIP sweet girl. PS. Please refrain from smart comments on this article. Respect this woman, her legacy and her fans, because she deserves it.

August 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  63. PhillyGuy

You can't expect too many people to be mature enough to post a respectful or coherent statement online nowadays. Especially when you're talking about a phenomenon like Aaliyah was. I mean lets get real, when you have 1000's of people gushing over T-Pain, that told you he can't sing without Auto-Tune, how could you expect them to be intelligent enough to know talent when they hear it from someone like Aaliyah.

As Forrest Gump said, "stupid is what stupid does!" – It's sad really , mindless brainless lemmings. The music is as "horrible" as it is right now, because you "DON'T" have as many Aaliyahs around putting out music on that level. Aaliyah was R&B. But R&B nowadays is only r&B if it sounds triple-x rated with lyrics, without any real purpose, except to be explicit. Yeah, I'm AfricanAmerican, and I hate the direction our music has gone. I'd pick Aaliyah tens years from today over ANYTHING that's being put out right now!

August 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Selfish Meme

I'm surprised a Philly Guy would be oh so offended. Look dude, calm down. No one has to comment anything to say fantastic things, its a choice.

You on the other hand are troll bait catch. Just ignore. In real life, do you argue with crazy people in the street or thugs or idiots? Or do you steer clear of them.

Thank you, thats what I thought.

All these comments will be lost, sort of, at least forgotten, no one has to share anything. Comment boxes are a waste of time, move on.

I have to do stuff, I'm out.

August 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TXJim

Well said.

August 26, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  64. MsDavis

RIP Aaliya. You have a lot of love left behind.

August 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Sunshine!!

:( I really miss Aaliyah's undeniable style.......still. Without judging her on a religious or spiritual venue, I thought she was one of the most talented artist out there. When she began acting, it was another notch in her belt to celebrate. The way Aaliyah recorded the Isley Brothers smash hit "At You Best (You Are Love)" is a classic! On another note, :( I was so surprised to read the disparaging remarks about her. But, in fairness, everyone does have the right to an opinion.

August 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Tboz

CNN – please close/remove this board out of respect to Missy Elliott, Aaliyah, and her family.
    The amount of trolling idiots making unbelievably rude, juvenile and disrespectful comments has reached a critical mass

August 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belinda

I agree...they really need to just remove it. It's so sad...I can't believe this is what our world is coming to sometimes.

August 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • NOLA

CNN SHUT THIS COMMENT SECTION DOWN!!!!! THE IGNORANT COMMENTS FROM THESE COLD HEARTED COLON WORMS ARE OUT OF CONTROL!!!! THE LEAST CNN CAN DO IS GIVE THIS WOMEN A LITTLE RESPECT BY SHUTTING THESE IDIOTS UP AND SHUTTING THE COMMENT SECTION DOWN!!!!

August 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • cee en en

OK, TBOX, I WILL REMOVE IT,... AFTER ALL MISSY ELLIOT HAS SHOWN SO MUCH RESPECT FOR OTHERS THROUGHOUT HER SO CALLED CAREER. WHY DON'T YOU READ SOME OF HER LYRICS BEFORE YOU START THROWING THE WORD "RESPECT" AROUND.

August 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • T-Boz

When Diaaliyah was alive she enjoyed a constant diet of donkey D!CKS...sucking them having them up her ass and KUNT...it was her love!

August 31, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Linda

Aaliyah you are missed, you were truly one in a million. Your music and style was so cool and your music was so much better than some of the songs today. Rest on baby girl.

August 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Belinda

Ok....What kind of a world do we live in where people can be so evil and cold? You may not have known her or even liked her music but dammit...she was someone's child, sister, and friend. I dare anyone of you cowards to say the crap you are saying on this post to the face of the family members and friends who loved her. How would it feel if someone said these things about someone you loved? We got the doc who is putting her in hell...well guess what, no one knows but God and last I checked you were NOT him. Just remember the crap you say about others comes back. People are a trip in 2011. Always on a post talking mess and would NEVER have the guts to say something this rude in person.

August 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Selfish Meme

Calm down Belinda.

Don't be a troll-bait candidate. Just say positive stuff and move on.

August 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  69. martha

sleep on Aaliyah,we will never forget you.

August 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  70. JJ

We are a sad group of people.

August 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • V. P..

I agree with you wholeheartedly! It's so sad how nasty and racist we can really be. You take care.

August 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • b. Slider

TRUE DAT & WITH A LOT OF EXTRA TIME ON OUR HANDS TOO!!

August 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Angie

You know, I have never bothered to comment on CNN before, but I just have to say, some of you people are disgusting. You are rude, thoughtless, arrogant and did I mention disgusting? Seriously? That's all you have better to do is rip on people and hack on a dead person? Who died in a plane accident? She didn't OD, she didn't die driving drunk. And you comment like this on post from a person who cared about her?
    Get a life. Go do something good or useful instead of being pathetic and making it a point to be hurtful and nasty. People like that are such a waste of space.

August 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

you know, people who think the internet will protect them from karma are in for a big surprise. dont worry angie, these people are a dime a dozen up here. It really surprises me sometimes how we are still surviving as a race.

August 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belinda

Ditto...and yes Karma is in effect...either typed or spoken

August 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • lilybeth

Thank you Angie. Sadly – idiotic, ignorant and callous remarks like this fill the internet more than anything else. People are truly cruel when hiding behind their monitors. So many internet users get "mean girl" syndrome the second they hit that "Post" or "Reply" button. Guess what? All that bile and vitriol you all spit out here is real and you're the one who put it out in the universe. Why do that? Aren't things in the world bad enough as it is? Grandma had a good saying, a way of life even: "If you cannot say something nice, do not say anything at all."

August 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr.MichaelAngelo

The ignorance some people display on the internet is an extreme problem. It's one thing to not know who a person is but to be a total disrespect to that person is a another thing. I can't understand why people hate so much.smh. R.I.P. aaliyah

August 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Selfish Meme

Actually Angie, you may be the one to "get a life".

You see, I agree with your sentiments, but you're the bait, the troll bait. Idiots like that say all kinds of nasty things to be funny, to annoy people, to drag suckers like YOU into dumb time wasting arguments.

They are cowards hiding behind their computers or the computers mommy and daddee bought for them. They may be dumb kids, or stupid adults.

So, you may need to reassess yourself and ask yourself, why am I wasting my time in comment boxes argueing or trying to "tell them off" when thats what they want you to do.

Time to mature and get with it Angie.

August 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • b. Slider

angie- don;t let these morons get you down. They have no life, and are all a bunch of 30 year old guys who have never had a girlfriend to beat up, which is why they are so hostile, biach

August 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • katreal1

I could not have said it better Angie. For those fans like myself who loved her music, her horrific death touched us deeply. No one wants to see anyone lose their life I don't care who they are. I truly believe she was on her way to being a huge star and would have been in the spotlight still today had she lived.

I can't understand why people come on sites, read the article and then spew hate. Move on! Her fans loved her like I'm sure those fans of Elvis loved him. Some may not have known her music but that doesn't mean millions of others didn't love it.

August 26, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  72. mamateedc

Loved her music, her class and her style she died tragically and suddenly. RIP

August 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  73. G-Money

Very few celebrity deaths has touched and moved me in such a deep and profound way than when Aaliyah's. I still find it hard to listen to her music because of the fellings it invokes from when she died. She was such a sweet, gentle and down-to-earth person. And her talent, forget about it. I'm not the biggest R&B fan but you can't help but pay attention to her sultry, soulful voice. She is definitely missed, both in her person and her music.

August 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Dee

@ Gayle, My God are u the most unhappy person on Earth,. Why so much vile against someone who cannot defend herself. Did all your dead loved one get one way ticket to hell?...

August 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  75. joycebrown111

I remember where I was when Aaliyah died as well. She was absolutely beautiful and she is really missed. She was a talented artist. It really is a shame

August 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Jeff

My niece was one of her dancers on that video. She was with her up until about an hour before Aaliyah got on the plane.

August 25, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • red

Wow Jeff!. I'm sure her recollection of that day is very vivid. I pray she was able to bounce back from that tragic day.

August 25, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Rachel K

I loved Aliyah's music and all of the volunteer work that she was always taking part in. I really do miss her style and her music. Her career, while huge was just barely taking off for her and what she was capable of. RIP.

August 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Another Chris

Hey, dude who keeps saying "POOT"

Are you Mace? Logs/faskings?

August 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Alyson

What a shame she departed so young and full of life. I have her movie, Queen of the Damned and think her acting was very good. She was definitely going to make it big as an actress. RIP Aaliyah you are missed!

August 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

Might be a stupid question, but isnt she the woman who was in a Jet Li movie also? Just wondering.

August 25, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

@John: She was in 'Romeo Must Die'. That was her defining acting moment.

August 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dieyoung

Jester, you need to get out of your 1930's time-warp and re-enter 2011. Referring them as "colored people" is just as bad as saying the "N" word. Re-educate yourself.

August 26, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  80. Me

She was so very young. My heart still hurts for her family.

August 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Joe

"I Miss You" (She was going to be a huge superstar...)

August 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • elizabec26

That comment coming from someone who named themselves the least talented "Kelly Rowland". Shut up! Aaliyah was awesome! Had an amazing voice and sure as hell could beat Kelly Rowland any day.

August 26, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Lanfear

I'll never forget Aaliyah. Just yesterday I was playing some of her music for the first time in a very long time. I didn't even realise that the anniversary was today either... apparently my instinct did somehow apparently. Crazy how that works. RIP

August 25, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Way to be disrespectful, Barnaby. Btw, the take-off weight is something that pilot-in-command should be checking and be aware of.

August 25, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Stephen

I will always remember that year. I know 911 happened but the impacts of that did not hit me until a year later when I got in high school. But what happened to Aaliyah hit me immediately. One of my favorite artist at the time dying as young as she did was hard. And somedays I wonder how things would have changed if she was still here. I hope she is still resting in piece.

August 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doc

@Gayle: A "one-way ticket to hell"? Really? I was not a fan, but what reason could you possibly have to write something like that? Did she steal your husband? Beat your children? Good grief...

August 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeSchmoe

Bill, what do you expect.. he was a teenager in highschool, her death was something he could relate to and probably didn't understand the gravity of 911 at the time

August 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristina Erin Kaye

I hope she is resting in peace ... not in piece!!!

August 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Retired Army in San Antonio

@ JoeShmoe......actually, Steven wasn't even in high school, yet......read his post again and you'll see what I mean.

Really Bill.....you're way too critical.....

August 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • steven

Don't blame someone that was a child for not understanding an event that most adults couldn't even grasp.

August 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amazing...

I feel as though she is still here...My daughter is the spitting image of her and the same age as well. May Aaliyah rest in peace...

August 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I don't know if she threw a fit, but even if she did, as a former pilot I can tell you it is the pilot's sole responsibility to make sure the take-off weight is within limits. I'd rather lose my job than my (and others) life.

August 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Shmoe THE REAL ONE!

@Joe Schmoe... dude, stop bitting my name and misspelling it at that!

August 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Cato

"I dont believe she crossed over..."

Well, it's not really up to you now, is it? Judge not, that ye be not judged. You should've read that somewhere. What a pity if you didn't.

August 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  85. yourtherealsinner

@Cato the ultimate sin is when humans think they are God and judge others....

August 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Dood

you seem like a real down-to-Earth kind of guy

August 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  87. DD

Mike you need to relax...seriously

August 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Skat

This comment coming from a guy who clearly doesn't have a wonderful grasp on the language himself. Perhaps next time you should correctly punctuate and capitalize. I'm sure since you're such an English language master that you know the age old adage, "Those who live in glass houses should not cast stones."

August 25, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  89. JohnnyB70

"It is what it be"... "I is what I do"... "that's juss how I do".. Totally agree- ridiculous & sounds pathetic.. not to be able to speak proper English.. very sad indeed..

August 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Muskrat Love

ENGRISH FOREVER

August 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  91. tino

its bare not the animal bear. good job.

August 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Chris

"Bear" is actually correct

August 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Why so insensitive?

Why are people so insensitive? If you didn't/don't care then why click on the article and read it? Why take the time to comment? You didn't know her personally to know what relationship she had with a higher being. I hope she is resting in peace away from a world full of hateful people such as yourself!

August 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  94. weinerschnitzel

You didnt know her personally either so SHUT IT MISTER.

August 25, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  95. MyNameisEarl

Hey Rock- She's been dead for 10 years and she's still too high quality for you. You animal.

August 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Rock

I gotta stick with my strengths.

August 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  97. rafael

Same here.

August 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Jake

A famous R&B singer in the 90s who died tragically in a plane crash at the age 21. Most of todays teens know about her. She died at age 21 or 22.. quite young.

August 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  99. John

How amazingly disrespectful, yet revealing of just how stupid some of you are; not because you don't know who she was, but because you smugly feel the need to post your angry ignorance for all to see. Your moms must be so proud.

August 25, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  100. ME

To be fair, we do seem to obsess over the lives and lifestyles of celebrities way too much. That, and the overwhelming blandness of mainstream music - and as a side effect, its inexplicable popularity when compared to the broad spectrum of music that most people ignore because it's not on "Top 40" rotation - makes for a strong general dissatisfaction with what typical people know about mainstream celebrities. I do not put her in the "bland mainstream" category so much as I suspect Chris does, but I understand the sentiment, however cynically it is stated.

If this were not a good friend of Aaliyah, I would be rather agitated about the story myself. Our priorities are out of whack as it is.

August 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Sorely Frickey

You don't remember Gloria? Guy as classy as you oughta remember Sic Transit Gloria.

August 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  102. kitta

Chris you know who she is your really stupid

August 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  103. rafael

And why so many a's?

August 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Jake

Aaliyah didnt rap, she was an R&B singer in the 90s that most of the teens of this year knew about.. and its been TEN YEARS SINCE SHE DIED, so of course an article will be made. Do you have to be so rude? Disgusting..

August 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  105. MSB

Since this story is under The MARQUEEBLOG, why don't you try going to CNN's home page, this section is not the entire CNN website.

August 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Rock

That pic of her is hot. I cared enough to look at the pic. Sorry she's gone now because she'd be a total knockout still most likely.

August 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  107. PhillyGuy

CNN is not the new BET. I admit that everyone wouldn't know significant artists in every genre of music. Just like I know some black people, not like myself, that don't have a clue of the big deal behind Led Zepplin. However, there really is no need for prejudicial remarks because of your ignorance of a person. Comments like that make you appear to gloat in stupidity.

August 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  108. MeeToo

Andrew I care about this story. If you don't know her...keep it moving. If you feel that CNN is just for black people and you're not black then get the heck off. Plain and simple. And truth be told, it's not just for black people or white people. It's for everyone. There are whites who liked her just as there are blacks who like white entertainers...I'm one of them. People like you disgust me.

August 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Mr.MichaelAngelo

Get a life Andrew. You don't even know who she is so why comment. Aaliyah has more fans than you could ever imagine. If you care to comment then you should care to do some research before you make dumb comments on a blog.

August 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  110. better yet

Reading some of these post reminds me how trailer trashy, ghetto, racist, and ignorant some people still are....trolls without lives looking for attention...

August 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Ladydoc

I am sorry but I am a fan of hip hop music and dance and am not ghetto or unintelligent. You really should not generalize. It would be like me saying that everyone who listens to country (which I also like) is a redneck that doesn't have any teeth in their mouth and has babies with their family members. That would be wrong.

August 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  112. logicalboomer81

Yes, and it reminds me of the absolute rudeness of so-called intelligent people.

August 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  113. V. P.

Ladydoc. Well said

August 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  114. DaddyJbone

I have a masters degree in electrical engineering from one of the best schools in the country and I listen to Aaliyah you idiot. Your comment is a true sign that you have no intelligence for you to try to paint a broad brush across a whole spectrum of millions of people who listen to Aaliyah songs. Get a life loser.

August 25, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Tara

You're an embarrassment to the human race. Like somebody else said on here, I bet you'll never have the balls to say this crap to her parents and brother. Do us a favor and go drink some gas

August 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  116. teach1996

Baby I love it!
    Judge not after all.......

August 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Dave in Portland

To post something like that indicates the lack of a soul. Go drink bleach please, Thanks.

August 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Samantha

A deal with the devil? You people really need to stop listening to that stupid sh!t.

August 25, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Samantha

And your a hateful ignorant individual with nothing. Missy can buy your broke behind 5 times over. Stop hatin

August 25, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  120. deb

It's spelled BUY.....classy post.

August 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |