John Slattery defends 'Mad Men' co-star
August 24th, 2011

John Slattery defends 'Mad Men' co-star

January Jones' cold reputation continues, thanks to recent comments from her onscreen son, but “Mad Men” co-star John Slattery is coming to her defense. Sort of.

Jared Gilmore, who is the third little boy to play Bobby Draper, warned the next kid playing Jones' son to “be careful around” her. (Gilmore is leaving the show for a new series.)

"Well, it's an intimidating character," Slattery said to E! News of Gilmore's comment, insinuating that maybe the little tyke confused Jones’ real personality with acting. "I mean, that's the character. Betty Draper is an intimidating woman I suppose, if you were a seven-year-old boy [or] her son." (Or if you’re Zach Galifianakis.)

But Slattery, who plays Roger Sterling on the show, insists Jones isn’t difficult on set. "No, she's a sweetheart," Slattery said. "We got lucky. We don't have anybody like that."

And Slattery took his flattery a step further, predicting his co-star’s mothering skills. "I have no doubts she'll make a great mother," he said of Jones. The 33-year-old actress is expecting her first child in the fall. The father remains a mystery.

1. Kevin

Why would anyone want to pick on this woman? She seems great on the show. As a reader I would prefer you people find something of substance to report on.

August 30, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jillmarie

Whatever- the show is trying to do damage control. Kids tend to call it like it is- they have less of a filter. I'm with the kid, Zack G, Ashton, and everyone else who puplicly disses her...

August 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. teishadelao

To that child, this is how she seemed to be behaving and I doubt that there isn't a little something to his observations. http://bit.ly/nnKwCl

August 25, 2011 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Anomic Office Drone

Aside form obvious comments about her being physically attractive, I have never heard a good thing about January Jones, and I have never seen anything that made me say "at least she's a good actress".

August 24, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cyber

Intimidating character? Or just awful actress??? Perhaps she is an intimidatingly awful. I have never been impressed with any role she plays. She is totally dry...

August 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • alan smithee

You are so wrong. Jones' portrayal of a piece of wood in each of her jobs is just spectacular! I predict an award in her future. Ever hear of the lofty Razzie?

August 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeanine

Just read the interview in ALLURE magazine and it confirms what the kid is saying. A very unlikable person.

August 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |