Prince Charles and Camilla adopt ... a puppy
August 23rd, 2011

Prince Charles and Camilla adopt ... a puppy

Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla have expanded their family with a Jack Russell Terrier rescue puppy, reports People.

The Jack Russell, named Beth, was dropped at the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home in London when she was just 12 weeks old, according to Clarence House. She is one of over a hundred stray dogs that came to the U.K. shelter in July.

Last fall, Camilla opened the shelter’s new cattery, and mentioned to staff that she’d love another Jack Russell since her beloved Freddy had died. (Freddy was such a part of the family that Camilla’s son Tom named his own child after the dog!)

When a Jack Russell was left at the shelter, the staff emailed photos to the Duchess.

"I just couldn't resist her, she is gorgeous," Camilla told Britain’s Daily Mail of seeing the pup's pictures. "It is so exciting. I can't wait for her to meet the family."

"Beth is a charming, confident little puppy and we know she will be very happy in her new home," Battersea's chief executive Claire Horton said in a statement on the rescue's website.

Like Mariah Carey, Charles and Camilla are fans of the Jack Russell terrier breed, and Beth joins the Duchess’ two other Jack Russells, Tosca and Rosie.

Beth, Tosca and Rosie will reportedly spend the rest of the summer with the royal couple at Birkhall, their home on the Queen’s Balmoral estate in the Highlands. Lucky pup!

1. what is pakistan,love pakistan,pakistan country,about pakistan

Wow, marvelous blog format! How lengthy have you been blogging for? you make running a blog glance easy. The total look of your website is excellent, as neatly as the content!

July 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dogs

I do believe all of the ideas you've offered on your post. They're really convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for starters. May you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

June 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Thauana

Hi I found your site by mistake when i was scanehirg Google for this issue, I have to say your site is really helpful I also love the theme, its amazing!. I dont have that much time to read all your post at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.

April 26, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. daywetter

Questioning about applying the same design template as you, but unfortunately can't manage to find it in the repository, any kind of ideas?

April 19, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. jj

I wish them all a happy life.

August 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cromulent

So now Charles has a dog and a horse. I hope the dog doesn't like sugar cubes and apples, because Camilla isn't sharing.

August 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LisaQ

Thank you so much for this story! This is wondeful news. Once again the US is put to shame by the higher morals of another country. Barack Obama promised he would rescue a homeless dog, but then he did not do that. After he accepted that dog there was a big demand for those dogs. I have a friend who rescued a dog from a couple who decided they did not want him anymore because they wanted the same breed as the president. Rescue is the only way to go! It is senseless to even allow breeding of companion animals when there are so many homeless ones being killed for having no home.

August 25, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. ohsnap

She named the dog 'Beth'? As in Elizabeth? The Queen's name? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

August 25, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. ohsnap

She reminds of of Queen Elizabeth...the way she is standing with a kind of rounded back. Well, they say men sometimes marry their mothers.

August 25, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Vilma Wood

It is wonderful that Charles & Camille will give this puppy a happy home. There are so many abandoned animals in shelters/streets and more people should adopt and spay/neuter their animals. Now that Charles and Camille adopted a dog, I hope they learn to love animals and stop killing them when they go on hunting trips!

August 25, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bemused

Why is this on the front page of CNN? What's the next headline, Queen Elizabeth has a bowel movement, pictures at 11?

August 25, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  12. Senna

I'm so proud of you, Charels and Camilla! What a great example you are setting! Every dog lover should do what you did. These days there are so many homeless dogs around the world that breeding them should be banned.

August 25, 2011 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Silly Silly

Wow...All this time I thought Camilla was Charles' dog...here doggy doggy...

Sorry, couldn't resist!!

August 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mark

Guess it's a Rottweiler... yeesss... just like mummy!!!

August 24, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Moi

What a nice story. Having three rescue dogs myself I love this. :-)

August 24, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Emoore

My Mom taught me a long time ago the "if you can't say something nice about someone than don't say anything"
    People can be so cruel and unless you have been on the side of this cruelty you couldn't imagine how damaging it can be. Comparing someone to a dog in looks – shame on all of you. How would you feel if someone said that about you, oh but I forgot all of you are so very, very, handsome and beautiful.

August 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  17. kitty

Jack Russell Terriers are NOT kid-friendly at all. Hope they don't have grandchildren soon. Our Jack Russell protected it's owner, my husband, and would not let ANYONE stand beside him. He eventually bit my granddaughter in the FACE. I hate that dog. Evil Evil DOG! He's probably with the right family, however! :)

August 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Trina

Luv that Camilla has a dog named after her mother-in-law!!!

August 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Linda

Why do people insist on making nasty comments? Charles and Camilla did the right thing – there is no need to attack them for anything. Please save your ugly comments for things that merit it... OR... if you can't say something nice – keep your mouth shut! (and post only on topics where you can stick to what the story was about)... GEEZE... I'm so tired of people making nasty comments.....

August 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • dennis

Dear Linda, Kindly eat feces.

August 24, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Theresa

Exactly. My thought when I read the story was "good for them!" In my naivete I headed for the comments to add my congratulations and good wishes to what I was sure would be many other positive notes. How disappointing. Regardless of station, perceived physical appearance or personal opinion, I am pleased they made the choice to rescue an animal and provide a loving forever home to it.

August 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

I'm not making any nasty comments... but why didn't they better try adopting 100 starving children.. don't you think that would be a much better option? They have tons of money... and if they'ld want to really help the world... help starving children, of course, they can still keep the dog.

August 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dennis

Seriously? Someone was forced to write this story?

August 24, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. victor alonzo

Congratuletions; but is necesary show the photografy.

August 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Scott Pilgrim beat my meat

I would rather pour beer on and kick the homeless than abuse a dog.

August 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Miranda

I think it's terrific they adopted a rescued shelter dog instead of going to a fancy breeder for a dog with papers. If royalty adopts a shelter dog it can only be a fantastic example for others to follow their lead and go to a shelter also.
    What a lucky with dog!

August 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Why?

How is this even newsworthy?

August 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. erich2112x

You're obviously from England, Joker, and you're surrounded by all of us crude Americans when you visit the live blogs. We spit on the sidewalks, we speak our minds, we cuss a lot, we scratch our nuts in public.......I'm really sorry about all that but I can assure you that you'll never change us.

August 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Justpassingthru

I love the irony that the dog's name is a variation of Camilla's mother-in-law's name.

August 24, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trina

Me too!

(I missed your comment and posted a nearly identical one. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. )

August 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Debbie

Dieyoung: You are so twisted.....If that's all you have to say, you need not respond at all. The rest of us dog lovers (Jack Russel's rock!) prefer to not to mix with your type. I'm happy for Beth and know that she will be spoiled as she should be!

August 24, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  28. Elizabeth

Congratulations on the new dog. I commend them for adopting a pet from a shelter. So many wonderful animals get put down because people don't think of going to a shelter first. I foster Jack Russell dogs for a rescue group and I think this is great publicity for adopting a rescue dog. I don't normally like C & C but I like this!

August 24, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  29. JanetMermaid

Good for them for getting a rescue dog. Sets a very good example for others.

August 24, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  30. HockeyMinny

Do the Royal family get dental care? How 'bout Doggie Dental Care?

August 24, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  31. SoSueMe

Jack Russell Terriers are wonderful dogs but are a lot of work. You'd best be an excellent dog handler before adopting one. They are highly intelligent and need a lot of stimulation or they can become very destructive. We love our Jack but I work from home so she's never alone.

August 24, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  32. erich2112x

Jack Russell Terriers are extremely dangerous pets. please be careful.

August 24, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

Shows what you know. I have a JRT and he is the most loving dog I've ever had. I think you are dangerous!

August 24, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • erich2112x

Ok, that's cool dude, I still like you but you really need to get a better sense of when folks might be joking around.

August 24, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silly Silly

That is a really funny comment!!

August 25, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  33. lorileeky

Charles is already married to a hound-dog.....

August 24, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  34. Roxie Rocker loved to have her butterbean patch plowed by Jews.

They should have named the dog Diana after the ugly dead princess diana who is in hell right now.

August 24, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  35. Robin

Did anyone else notice that the Duchess' grandson is going to grow up to be "Indiana" Jones? After all, he, too, was named after the family dog! Arf, arf.

August 24, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Mo

The preceding comment was brought to you by the letters "W', "T" and "F".

August 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. KJnsmom

Yet no one commented on the fact that the dog is named Beth.......did everyone forget who the mother of Prince Charles is and her name?

August 24, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  37. Fosters

Charles walks into the castle with the new puppy. One of the Guards says, "Cute dog, sir." Charles says, "I got it for Camilla." Guard replies, "Nice trade."

August 24, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

Tee Hee!

I like the dog paw car magnets: "The wife told me it was either her or the dog. I miss her sometimes." and "Dog and husband missing; reward for dog."

August 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trina

Love it!

August 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jennie

Thank goodness they are both too old 2 procreate. This world has enough self absorbed morons! I feel bad for the puppy though.

August 24, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  39. John B

Where is the dog? Oh...is that it following the Prince? Wait..no...that's Camilla....is it in her hat? WHERE IS THE DOG? Tell us about a dog and yet you don't SHOW the dog? Somehow...I feel cheated.

August 24, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  40. Judy

Good for them, adopting an animal from a shelter! I'm pleasantly surprised!

August 24, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  41. Lynsey Pug

Well done! Adopting from a rescue is always preferable to buying from a breeder. Too many dogs and cats need a forever home. The Obamas & Kennedys could take a lesson from British Royalty.

August 24, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

Bo Obama was a GIFT from the late Senator Kennedy. And though sadly he was from a breeder, the late Splash Kennedy was a great dog ambassador; he went to work with Ted Kennedy and even had his master write a book about the two of them and their typical day on Capitol Hill.

August 24, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  42. PJ

She is called "Duchess" and looks just like Camilla.

August 24, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Noktavia

Ich danke euch beiden h bscehn. Euer Foto ist schon der Hammer, aber die Karte die ihr mir geschickt habt toppt alles. Das ist die beste Karte die ich jemals bekommen habe.Vielen vielen Dank daf r.

April 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Davew

How is this news?

August 24, 2011 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  44. mary berard

Charles already has a dog, a Rotweiler. He is married to her. What does he want with another one.

August 24, 2011 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  45. ZweiStein

Another beer anyone?

August 24, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  46. charly

why does this hit the news ?

August 24, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  47. Brent

Give me a break. Who cares. Wasting time and energy on a topic like this. Do people really care about their dog? Maybe if they gave half their wealth to the cruelty to animals foundations then that would be worthy news. Im so glad we left the royalty at the wharf when the Mayflower set sail. When is England going to get over the Kings and Queens. To me they were brutal people of power and have no use in the real world. Its all hyped up fantasy that if children really knew what Kings and Queens were really about they might have them spent a few years in the dungeon.

August 23, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cranston Lamont

If the whole story is a waste of time and energy to you, why did you waste both on your five-line, semi-illiterate reply?

August 24, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  48. RusTnuts

Is the dog shaped like a tampon?

August 23, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Perry

They should have gotten something like a Basset Hound – still a dog like Camilla, but at least something in the family would have bigger ears than Charles!

August 23, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Wow

How is this even considered news? Do you also report each time they change a maid?? Does that mean a puppy is more important than human-beings???

August 23, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaggieJS

Get a life. Not all stories need to be about tragic and serious worldlu events. This is a "feel-good" story, and some of us enjoy a break from gloom and doom. If you're not interested, read something else.

August 24, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  51. Terriers

I'm glad they adopted a Jack Russell. A Jack Russell is an extremely headstrong dog and there's no doubt someone else does the training. I own a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and he's the same way, only slightly less stubborn (and larger). Terriers are hilarious dogs and will entertain you constantly. I never thought I could go from a German Shepard to a Terrier but man, it is FUNNY! !

August 23, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Lizzy10

It's nice they adopted a dog that may have faced being put to sleep instead of going for a dog from a breeder. That being said, won't a Rotweiller attack a Jack Russell?

August 23, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  53. persono11

Now Charles has two dogs !

August 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Happy Cow

Thank you Alecia. You are tooo wonderful ! : ) mooooo. I am a happy cow : ) mooooo : )

August 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Becky

And this is newsworthy why???

August 23, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadWomanUSA

This story brings attention to animals that are at shelters in desparate need. When high profile people support shelters it may give others the incentive to also support shelters and provide a loving home. And, it shows a compassionate side to the royal family. Kudos to them!!

August 24, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  56. rs1201

very ugly couple...wow...

August 23, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • gerald

Very ugly comment 1201...you and the rest of the ugly commenters on here must think you are quite something.

August 24, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  57. hawkechik

Can't stand Jack Russells. Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

August 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  58. UrSoLame

I bet the puppy is better looking that whatever Camilla and Charles can make by themselves

August 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  59. blf83

Why not?! A man and a horse cannot procreate, despite the mythical beasts of yore.

August 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Gellie

Whether you are a "fan" of the Duchess of Cormwall or not her adoption of a shelter dog is to be commended not criticized.

August 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Hopefully, the dog will be a welcomed part of the family, live with the family, and is not just a publicity stunt.

August 24, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

I could not agree more! When people in the public eye adopt a pet (Aniston/Barrymore/Bloom to name a few) rather than going through a breeder or such, it educates the public and makes a lot more people inform themselves on the option and to consider it.

Almost three years ago I saw a dog on petfinder.com that I just gushed over. I researched the pros and cons of adopting a dog, I met the dog, the foster mom and I spoke for about an hour on adoption and the dog I was interested in. I thought about it for a week and then I adopted her.

Two days a week she is alone for 8 hours (unless my mom stops by) but has 2 sets of stairs, 2 long hallways, 2 landings (no electrical cords or anything to chew), a window, 8 hours of calming classical music from my iPod playlist. The other three days she is with my folks where she is outside all day, under the pine and oak trees with a big backyard. She gets brushed, played with, petted, kissed and my mom and she go on a walk every day and sit under a shady tree in a quiet local park for about an hour. My mom reads and my dog just enjoys herself. My old room is now my dog's room where her bed is, as well as most of her toys.

On the weekend I drive out to explore nature with my dog. I try to try a lot of new places so that her mind is stimulated and she can discover new smells. Every evening that my dog is with me, while we watch Dr. Oz I give my dog a massage. She loves it, she gets so relaxed. My dog gives me so much and I want to show her how much I love her.

Adopting a dog is the best decision I've ever made; she is such a well-behaved dog (the rescue group did a great job) and I can honestly say I have never loved anyone or anything the way I love my dog.

August 24, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • MS of NY

@Gellie: Really? Commendable ?? What did they do so great given their position in society and the wealth (public tax) that they possess? Regular people I know have done more selfless and philanthropic deeds than they can even afford. This BS making news actually shows how irrelevant the British Royalty is in the 21st centure! This is such a very backward idea. Tax payers paying for upkeep of the lifestyle of people who are actually out of reach of .... the Tax payers !! It is actually even more ridiculous than it actually sounds !!! The royalty is nothing but remnants of the tyranical British imperialistic times. This is the modern Britain and it is ridiculous people still put these jokers on pedestals. Back in the US people are put on pedestal because of their deeds and achievements and not beacuse of the wealth they are birn into or their being born blue blooded. Enough said of this BS..

August 24, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • MS of NY

@Carrie: It is really great to hear of how well cared for is your pet. But the sad part is that many kids in US grow up without half as much love and attention as your pet gets and is leading to all the problems that we see today involving young adults.

August 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  61. pete

Puppy meat is delicious

August 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Art Vandolaye

Nice to hear. Now how about adopting me? -Art

August 23, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Susan

What a sweet fairy tale for that little dog :)

August 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kaitlyn

It is a fairy tale, isn't it? I absolutely love dogs and to see one saved from fighting for a bite to eat in order to survive to being royalty is a feel good story. It's such a shame that you all people can't see it for that......a feel good story with a sweet beginning for the little jack to Camilia who now has another Jack Russell to love! Shame on everyong who can't see happiness anywhere. What sad lives some of you live!

August 24, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  64. ibivi

Good for Beth. She will be the best looked after dog in London!

August 23, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • kaitlyn

I forgot to say in my other comment that i love her name,. Beth.....sounds sweet and my favorite cousin's name is Beth and since she knows how much I love dogs, she won't be offended that I just said that! Everyone have a good day and be good to one another.

August 24, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
    • donna

It's his mom's name too!

August 25, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  65. jackson

Kudos to the royal couple for adopting a rescued animal! That dog will go from fighting to survive to being pampered beyond belief! lol

August 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • kathdunkin

I'm thrilled they did a rescue. They could have gone out and spent a fortune but instead they saved the little's one life...and what a life she will have!

August 24, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  66. alecia

@JR I agree. we need something to make fun of that starts a blog riot and C and C just dont have that power! Moooo hi @happy cow! it makes my day to see your happy moniker! btw I had TWO chocolate shakes and that indeed do the trick!

August 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mr. Rogers

They don't mention the affectionate young sheep Charles keeps at his country place.

August 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  68. djack

Sure the dog will be better for Charles to look at than Camilla.

August 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Happy Cow

they shoulda adopted a cow. a happy cow! moooo : )

August 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. JR

Will somebody get Charlie Sheen back on the crack so we have something worth while to comment on.... The Prince's dog?.... are you FN kidding me!!

August 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • michaelfury

August 24, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Vic Francis

....puppy for the dog. lol
      One dog for another.....yeah. Please dont expose the puppy to the other REAL dog.

August 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Getalifeloser

You really need to get a life. I bet her job is better than you could ever imagine....I would also bet that she does better at her job (which use to be yours) than you ever could. Time to move on.

August 23, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jim

Bunch of meaningless dribble!

August 23, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  73. B=Dog

I hate the term "rescue dog"... It's not like you parachuted behind enemy lines in Iran and got the dog. You adopted the dog from a shelter around the corner.

August 23, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  74. pam

Hey B=Dog-she is a rescue dog. she is being rescued from a possible death in the shelter if she is not adopted. She is being rescued from a situation in which she may live in a kennel for weeks or months, depending on the shelter's policy. What a dewey downer you are...

August 24, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  75. lonnie

Why does she have a toilet seat on her head?

August 24, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  76. olive

They shouldve done us all a favor and adopted Michael Vick.

August 24, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  77. Dan

This is the United States of America. We rejected British monarchy 235 years ago. I really don't care what they do, who they do it with, how they do it, when they do it or why they do it. Leave the psychotic British tabloid rags to report this kind of mindless nonsense and pay attention to what is relevant.

August 24, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  78. MS of NY

@lonie: Good question! Think of what is usually below the toilet Seat! I guess who ever is her designer is having a good laugh now.

August 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |