Anne Hathaway's living on 'kale and dust' for 'Dark Knight Rises'
August 18th, 2011

Anne Hathaway's living on 'kale and dust' for 'Dark Knight Rises'

While prepping to play Selina Kyle in "The Dark Knight Rises," Hathaway is committed - not only has she switched up her lifestyle to accommodate the reality that she's got to fit into a catsuit, but she even considered getting a cat to examine, just for the role.

"I actually had this moment when I convinced one of the assistant directors on the London portion of the film to get a cat with me, the idea being that we were going to get a kitten from a rescue shelter, and he was going to live with me, and I was going to observe it, and when I left London I was going to give it to her," Hathaway recalled to Chelsea Handler in Interview magazine.

"Then, thankfully, her husband pointed out that that was a terrible idea on so many levels, not the least of which being that it would probably be really confusing to the cat."

But she doesn't only have to get the character right - she also has to work on her physique. Although she's explained to Handler on her show, E!'s "Chelsea Lately," before that she doesn't like working out, it seems the 28-year-old actress has found a way to embrace it.

"I really like it now. Actually, I think I’d never really gotten over the hump – there’s a workout hump where you’re so weak everything is painful and you look like an idiot," she says. "The gym where I work out, I was literally working out next to a pregnant Jessica Alba, and she could do more push-ups than I could."

Now, though, she's starting to take up Bikram yoga, and "like, living on kale and dust, for the training," she tells Handler on her show. "The catsuit’s unforgiving man. [I get into the suit] with a lot of motivation…it takes three of us. And the movie I think shoots over six months, so it's not like you focus your efforts for one day, [you have to] really get into it."

While that does mean that she's ceased doing a lot of indulging, she hasn't become a complete teetotaler.

"You’ve gotta have a little fun," she says of drinking just a bit. "The character’s naughty anyway, so if I was perfectly behaved I wouldn’t be honoring her."

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Bob

Why does batman even need an enemy? Just get another Harvey Dent character to do the fighting whilst batman battles himself. Then as a distraction, have batman save Salma Hayek from the big metal spiders in his dreams...
    Then have Leo Decaprio's name listed in the credits. So you have a batman movie, and an Inception sequel all in one...lol

September 13, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. angelina

tiny catsuit AKA piece of fabric to make virtually all women hate their average bodies even more. good luck trying to work out efficiently, fueled on kale. god, i just feel bad for the girl, those bags and wrinkles are showing up awfully early. i hope normal women one day wake up & realize that these idiots don't dictate how small your waist should be.

September 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. betty

Is this woman really this stupid? You need a cat to research playing a cat? Are actresses' that dumb? God help us. The more I hear her talk, the more I pity that poor James Franco for putting up with her...she's the annoying girl in high school who didn't make Cheerleader and just hangs around with her fake enthusiasm. yuk.

September 7, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. sally sue

Shouldn't they make the cat suit to fit her, not the other way around?

August 30, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Massive Marbles

Jessica Alba would be an awesome catwoman, as pretty as sin and walks as if she's having a gasm...

August 28, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Steve

Another dumb actress. She wants to observe a cat to help her prepare? How about putting your head into the toilet.

August 26, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cats Aren't Objects

Thank God her husband has some sense. Note to Anne Hathaway: Cats are living, feeling creatures that form attachments to people, not objects to be studied. If you want to watch them, there are thousands of videos on Youtube.

August 26, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Roy

As a child I wanted a puppy and my parents bought me a stinky ole kitten. So I cut all it legs off with a hatchet. It was fun watching it rithe in pain and quiver until it gave up the ghost.

August 26, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Massive Marbles

@BigRoy, you're the kinda guy that would take his grandmother on the prom and do a lip lock pic. You'll do and say anything to get a response.

August 28, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Shame on Anne

Anne Hathaway should be scolded for bragging that is living on kale and dust. She as a woman should be discussing her work with a nutritionist for the role rather than giving Women with body dysmorphia any more issues that they have already. She is a role model. she should remember that.

August 25, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robert

Please stay alive after this!!!

August 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Greg

"Anne Hathaway even considered getting a cat to examine, just for the role."

Better yet, just watch Halle Berry in "Catwoman", one of the most underrated films of modern times.

August 24, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. cpfcpf

So... 1. Not eating 2. Still drinking 3. Hot yoga. That sounds like an awesome plan – for death by dehydration.

August 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sultan

she's talented

August 19, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sarah

A better choice would have been either P Cruz,or maybe even Selma Hayek...very Eartha Kitt

August 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. A

Man, people are so mean to Anne! She's beautiful and a wonderful actress! I think she'll do a great job as catwoman, although I think Michelle P. was the best.

August 19, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Ted

Man – she can take the wrinkle out of the ole pants...

August 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TED

OH, FORGOT TO MENTION THOSE BAGGY EYES!

August 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. TED

I FIND THIS WOMAN AWKWARD! FOR BEING 27 SHE LOOKS MORE LIKE 37! TOO MANY LINES ON THAT FACE!

August 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sam

you know how you can look at really old photographs, see pictures of old people, and then find out that they are actually very young? that's how i feel when i saw that picture and read that she was only 28. apparently times have not changed.

August 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. heather

Auuuuuugh! she's a klutz. if she does this right it's gonna be an oscar winning performance. get me rhianna!

August 19, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  20. namb

“Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.” (Henry James quote)

August 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  21. erich2112x

Living on Kale and dust? No really, you're living on kale and dust? Are we supposed to giggle and say, "oh, that's so cute"?

August 19, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sencho

Actually, when she said those words to Chelsea Handler, it more like she same forced hipness that's she's been trying on lately (like when she was doing that stupid rap the other day).

August 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ronnie

for those of you saying she can't pull off "naughty" go watch Havoc..

August 19, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jon

I heard Michelle Pheiffer is going to make a cameo as Selena Kyle's mother.

August 19, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. JL

She is one of those women who looks a little strange in still shots but looks gorgeous in motion. Whenever I see a pic of her, I never think she's beautiful but she always looks better in movies. I also think she's a good actress and I actually find her very likeable in interviews.
    Oh, and I am a straight girl but she does have nice boobs.

August 19, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  25. Sencho

I have tried to make myself like this woman, but it doesn't work. I don't care for her in movies... I find her phony and unlikeable in interviews... I don't see the appeal that others obviously do... she's wildly overexposed these days... and I agree that she is one of the last actresses they ever should have selected to play Selena Kyle.

August 19, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  26. OregonTom

Cat Woman??? I don't know who they have in casting.

August 19, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  27. Nick

shes so beautiful though

August 19, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  28. Yowza

I have some nice big brown eyes. Those woman's are TOO big. She's about as interesting as Jennifer Garner. It's all abou the face.

August 19, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  29. TimSul

I volunteer to help her get into (or out of) the catsuit...... free...

August 19, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Feast of Beast

Remember, she said it takes 3 people. I must help as well.... ;)

August 19, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  30. scott

the longer I stare at a picture of her the more I realize she is a freak

August 19, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  31. Feast of Beast

Yes, very nice. Good to feast upon (slobber).

August 19, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  32. Feast of Beast

Give her a chance, you never know. I don't know why she doesn't do more singing roles. Many people don't know that she sings so well that she was offered the lead (Christine) in the Phantom of the Opera movie, but couldn't take it due to scheduling conflicts. I think she is a hot lady, and versatile. I'm looking forward to seeing her in that suit. :)

August 19, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  33. r

I don't hear the men in the movie bsing about squeezing into their getups. Women at still not getting it.

August 19, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  34. jon

I think she is a beautiful woman with excellent acting chops. Her mouth to big-are you people crazy-it is called wonderful. She is one of the good ones in the industry. You go Anne we love you!

August 19, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  35. JulieP

Bobby Batronic??

August 19, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  36. lil Jane

Why have anutta moovie wif a rail-thin model. Cat Woman? How 'bout Fat Woman. Dat's whut I'm talkin' 'bout.

August 19, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  37. Linda

Once again some Hollywood nit wit pushing starvation for????? Give me a break. When will they learn???

August 19, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  38. ctb67

She will NEVER be as good as Michelle Pfieffer, just sayin.......

August 19, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  39. Al

Catwoman behaves and performs in some ways like a cat. That would not have been a bad idea. Once again some idiot in hollywierd has to put their two cents in. She better not fudge this up.

August 19, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lisa

I don't get it, she just annoys me on so many levels and think there are so many others who would have made I much better catwoman

August 19, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • T

Who for instance ?
      She'll have to be attractive, interesting to watch and CAN play a dangerous, athletic, master thief who more than Batman's equal.

August 19, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  41. CheeseSteak

She's got those weird creepy eyes. Gives me the willies

August 19, 2011 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  42. Flammer Fairy Larry

Im a flammer n proud

August 19, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  43. Mersoit

WTH are you people discussing here? It's Christopher Nolan Goddammit!

August 19, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  44. NetNinja

Woa very very wrong role for her to play, A Diet? she was already a bone to begin with. The best movie she was in so far was the Devil Wears Prada. They needed someone athlethic to play that role. I say Eva Mendes would have been a better choice

August 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  45. FIX IN TX

OOOPS! SO SORRY everyone that was Natalie Portman who had a baby recently. Still, that catsuit is some kind of plastic that is hard to get into, I guess once in it, the suit warms and become more flexible w/ movements.

August 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

LOL yeah, that's actually who I thought you were thinking of. Disregard earlier reply :)

August 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. FIX IN TX

Keep Kim Kardashian away from movies! We already see her every else ~ lets keep her off the big screen! (It's not big enough for her a** and anyone else!) As for Anne's face ~ who is perfect out there? As to working out ~ there is nothing wrong w/ toning work as long as she eats health. Remember she had a baby not long ago. Who goes from maternity clothes to normal size instantly except maybe Heidi Klum?

August 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

She did not just have a baby. You must be thinking about someone else. If you don't believe me, google it.

August 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marky

It was Natalie Portman who had a baby. I went from maternity clothes to my regular street clothes in 5 days after each pregnancy. The difference was, I gained 25 lbs, not 60-70 lbs. Both my babies weighed more than 7 lbs, while my sister gained 65 lbs, and her baby weighed barely over 6 lbs. It took 7 months for her to lose the weight.

August 19, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  47. Grace

Wow – these are certainly some disgusting comments

August 18, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ben

Man she's a mess huge mouth, huge nose all those lines on her face yeck. Rather see SJP she would already fit cat suit perfect.

August 18, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  49. GoBlue

Working out for what? She is skinny as a POLE! I hope she would be eating Red Beans and Rice to grow a nice Booty so that the cat suit would have some nice curves. they should let Kim Kardashian play the cat woman! She would fill that suit out NICELY!

August 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Ken

She's certainly not homely or plain; but it just seems that her mouth, eyes and nose are all too large for her small face.

August 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joyous56

And that's what makes her so strikingly pretty.

August 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • danny in ohio

No, that's what makes her look like a muppet. She's freaky looking & not in a good way.

August 19, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • comeon

"She's freaky looking & not in a good way" A muppet? You probably think Kim Kardashian is attractive. She is gorgeous – both physically and her personality. You can't say that about many celebs these days.

August 19, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • ajack

@comeon....I love Anne Hatheway and despise anything to do with the name "Kardashian." But, comparing Anne to Kim???? Just look at Anne's photo and then Kim's right above her. I'm sorry, there's no contest there.

August 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • JIm

Kim Kardashian (before the face surgery) was 100x prettier than Anne. Anne is a plain girl who got lucky with her industry contacts. How many ACTUAL beautiful women are waitressing/hosting while auditioning for parts given to "plain but sorta pretty" women like Anne. Anne as Catwoman? Horribly miscast.

August 22, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aw

There's nothing funnier than a bunch of losers without girlfriends, sitting at computers trying vainly to insult the looks of a mega celebrity.

September 13, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  51. The Riddler

How's her nose going to fit in the suit?

August 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Liutgard

Anne Hathaway could wear a burlap sack and still be radiantly beautiful...

August 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Beavis

I bet if she took all of her clothes off she would be nekked! nekked! That would rule!

August 18, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  54. little timmie

I read on msn she flashed or mooned somebody on the set. I wish she would do that to me. She looks like a nice girl.

August 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Superhiro

Nice to know she's trying I guess, but she's still horribly miscast.

August 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • bee

Agreed. With a mouth the size of hers, she should have been cast as the Joker.

August 18, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big J

You know, I said she was miscast also, but then again I also said that Heath Ledger was. Then he gave the performance of his career as the Joker. I'm hoping she proves me just as wrong.

August 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

BigJ: Same here. I have faith in Christopher Nolan.

August 18, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jye75

I think she's going to look friggin HOT in that catsuit!!! It must be really tight for it to take 3 people to help her get into it.

August 19, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I agree with you Superhiro. And Mark – I have faith that Christopher Nolan can make a good movie but his past choices for female leads have left a lot to be desired. He likes to use Marion Cotillard – who is good but he never uses her as the lead. Katie Holmes in Batman Begins – not flat out horrible but completely unnecessary. That movie would have been better if her character wasn't in it at all. It might have worked if it was a really good actress but oh well. But then Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight – AWFUL. That movie was great, despite her snarky and condescending performance, but again, it could have been better with someone else in the role. Ellen Page in Inception – while she is cute and extremely likable, it just seemed kind of forced. Which is why I worry about Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle. She's a good enough actress for dramas and romantic comedies but it takes a completely different personality to pull off Catwoman. And as much as she talks about being "naughty", she's still just this mild-mannered good girl. And there is nothing wrong with that but I just question if she can act sultry and a little dangerous without looking like she's trying too hard. Catwoman is fairly complex – she comes from an abused background, has a lot of hostility towards men and people of power, and she's definitely borderline crazy. I just don't feel like Anne Hathaway could relate enough to her character to portray it accurately. She has a lot of talent so hopefully I'm wrong...but we'll see.

August 19, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • summits7

3 people to help her get into the cat suit. I'll volunteer to help her get her out of it.

August 19, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

For the record I never thought anything was wrong with Ledger as the Joker, but that was primarily from ignorance. I'd never heard of Ledger before Dark Knight. I have heard of Hathaway however, and knowing what she's done in the past, and the role she's supposed to play, I feel I can validly say that she's miscast. I don't see her having the type of range to play Catwoman, no matter how hard she tries. Also, my blind faith in Nolan was ruined after Inception, which I thought to be an extremely overhyped and kinda stupid action movie disguised as an intelligent thriller.

August 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOE

Kale, dust, and booze... Well, it's nice to know she's trying to set a healthy example and not at all unrealistic.
      Also, this makes the second batman in a row with a poorly cast leading woman.

August 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

He said you're the type that probably thinks Kim Kardashian is attractive. He didn't even compare the two. Point proven.

August 31, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdogg

She is still a tub of lard she could stand to lose another 120 lbs.

September 3, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Just an Observer

I know this is a terribly un-PC thing to say..... but come on..... was Heath Ledger really that good? Sure, he was good... but did his performance warrant the huge amount of attention it received, or did his untimely death have just a little something to do with how much everyone looooved him as the Joker?

September 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claire

She sounds miscast as a human being. "Ooo, let's get a stray, orphaned kitten and observe it, then give it away when I don't need it anymore." Maybe she should try acting school instead. Generally, if I see her listed in the cast I tend to lose interest in the film immediately.

September 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |