Katy Perry ties Michael Jackson's Hot 100 record
August 17th, 2011

Katy Perry ties Michael Jackson's Hot 100 record

Katy Perry’s current single “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” hit No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart this week, making the pop superstar the second artist in the 53-year history of the Hot 100 to produce five No. 1 singles off the same album.

The first to accomplish this feat? The late King of Pop.

Although Perry ties with Michael Jackson by having the most singles off the same album to hit No. 1, the 26-year-old is the first woman and the only living artist to achieve the record.

Perry’s hit singles come from her Capitol Records album "Teenage Dream." Since it was released last September, “Dream” has sold 1.7 million copies.

The star took one year, two months and one week to hit the record, beginning from the first week "California Gurls" topped the Hot 100 with the June 19, 2010 chart.

Her five hits are: "California Gurls" (featuring Snoop Dogg), "Teenage Dream," "Firework," "E.T." and “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.).”

Michael Jackson’s quintet of No. 1's came from "Bad," over a span of nine months and two weeks: the title track, "Dirty Diana," "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" (with Siedah Garrett), "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "Man in the Mirror."

Perry's “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” just bumped LMFAO’s "Party Rock Anthem” from the top spot, enabling her to make Hot 100 history.

1. Cl312

goes to show how stupid this generation is. Five number one singles that are horribly written and are stupid. I cant even believe she is in the same breath musically as the king of pop.

December 31, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. blooggerr

Adult blog :
    [b]http://goo.gl/2FrXz
    [/b]

December 22, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. himanshuranjan

i don't know why?
    people have gone krazy they cannot compare a mere human being like KATTY PERRY to GOD,i mean MICHAEL JACKSON.
    he is incredibly the best and no other popstar can ever surpass him.
    For me he is the best and will be forever.MICHAEL JACKSON the KING OF POP.

October 21, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. KajinPL

Personally, I think that Katy is talented so more power to her. You can't really compare the two because it's two eras, two different talents, two different styles. Times have changed and people love what they love. The only thing is that MJ's music has stood the test of time from just about any era it's from. Very few people have been able to accomplish that. Katy's still a fresh face as far as I'm concerned so it's something big for her achieving this after only really being in the biz for a few years when MJ did it after like 20+ years into it.

August 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tai

Pop music is dead.

August 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mnra

I f***ing adore yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

August 19, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Truth

Funny thing about this is how just a day or two ago, Jay-Z was boasting all about how his ni&&er wife Beyonce was the second coming of MJ....guess not ni&&er, has she sold as many albums as MJ? Screw how much money those two worthless ni&&ers have, no one cares about black people. Only reason Beyonce sold out so fast is because scalpers bought out all the tickets!

August 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lol

Not one thing you said in that wordpile was accurate. It's sad when people fail at racism.

August 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Superhiro

For the record, the Jackson defenders are correct. The original molestation case was thrown out for lack of evidence and the "victim" of the second case confessed that nothing happened after Jackson died. In the case of the second trial, the child was forced to say that by his stepfather who was trying to extort money from Jackson.

August 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. joser_ink

mj had more talent in his "child touching" glove hand than this chick has in her whole body!

August 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scott Pilgrim defeated The World

Her only talent lies under her neck, but above her stomach. In the front, obviously.

August 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. FU

Oh sorry, I thought she's going to try and have 5 underaged boys in one night...

August 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kathy

YA RIGHT!!!....no way this chick is better than MJ...give me a break.

August 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SoSoulful

SERIOUSLY!!! Well I'm glad it was Katy Perry and not that NON-SINGING MOFO BRITTANY SPEARS!!! I'm amazed that people would actually pay money to see her LIP-SYNC a 2hr show...smh.

ALSO, for you MOFOs that's talking about MJ did this and MJ did that....WHERE IS YOUR RESPECT!?!?!? If it was ELVIS or JOHN LENNON, yall would be OUTRAGED that people keep bringing up something that they were found NOT GULITY ON!! SO STOP BRINGING UP....HE WAS FOUND NOT GULITY AND THAT'S THAT. MJ has done things that stars out today WISH they would be able to acheive. Name me 3 artist out today that when we are older and grandkids or great-grandkids would listen to and fall in love with there music and style??? Regardless of if you like MJ or not, you have to admit that his music is TIMELESS across ALL NATIONALITIES...He made people (the stars some of us love today) step there game of and be MORE CREATIVE, PUSH THE ENVELOPE all for the love, joy and fulfillment of MUSIC!!! In the words of my grandmother RESPECT THE DEAD & IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TODAY....DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!!

August 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoSoulful

***CORRECTION*** I meant NICE TO SAY instead of NICE TODAY (I'm sure so ***hole was going to call me on it)

August 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Superhiro

Congrats to Katy. Gotta admit, she seems like a nice person, for whatever that's worth.

August 18, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. HILARIOUS

I love it how the only argument against MJ is that he is a weird guy who fondles young boys. Since when does that have any bearing on his standing on Billboard or the quality of his music?

August 18, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Truth Hurts

What I am getting from the masses (quite stupid actually) is the following:

Katy Perry is very hot and sings well live while MJ is a child molester

First off, listen to Katy's music... it really isn't worthy of #1 status... it's just a catchy song with a catchy hook. Those songs fade away after a year or two. The stuff about her marrying Russell Brand... who cares... separate the ARTIST from the MUSIC (I'm pretty sure I read someone's comment that said this, but I'll repeat it). I guarantee the lot of you guys will forget Katy Perry by then. By the way, "Jess," telling someone to drink "Jesus Juice?" Katy Perry "drinks some Jesus Juice" so what is your point?

MJ was acquitted of all charges... but it's completely understandable that a lot of you do not want to believe it. But let's be completely honest... how many of you "MJ is a pedophile/molester" people have actually looked into the case and examined all the physical evidence? I admit I haven't really done my part in that either... but I know when to separate the ARTIST from the MUSIC. I doubt any of you are in any position to determine his guilt/innocence without first exploring the whole story... you just take what the media feeds you like the little tools you guys are.

August 18, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. Wainerpro

Katy my lady, you did it gurl, do it again!! Never let the light go out:)

August 18, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  18. Louis

I'm glad this the record they are talking about not a new record for playing with little boys....

August 18, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Louis

Find us that record for MJ... oh wait... you can't... thought so. Just another kid with no evidence other than word of mouth and the media, who not surpringly at all went from being MJ's worst enemy to MJ's biggest supporter after his death...

August 18, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. Christie

You can keep calling MJ a child molester, but the police and prosecutor made it their life's work to convict, and he was still found not guilty. How about I call you a child molester after you were found not guilty? The first family that accused him was bought off for a few million. As I mom, I can tell you, no amount of money could buy me off if someone molested my kid. I would make sure the molester was locked up so he couldn't hurt any more kids. The dad of the first accuser, killed himself shortly after MJ died. Couldn't live with himself after what he did to MJ once MJ was dead and he saw that so many ignorant people would try to make MJ's legacy "child molester" instead of musician and humanitarian. So keep going on and calling MJ a child molester, you're just showing yourself for the ignorant chumps you are.

August 18, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  20. You guys are sad

I've never seen so many get worked up over nothing. Who cares who is better. It doesn't matter. It is what it is and both accomplishments are worthy.

August 18, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  21. tcp

It's number 1 'cuz billboard sez so. That's it...

August 18, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jersey Dude

Her "music" is as lame as her retarded husband's "comedy"

August 18, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  23. JayMo

Wow you people need to relax! The article simply states that Katy Perry has tied MJ as the only artists to ever have 5 #1 songs from one album. Thats all it says! It doesn't say that KP is better or as good as MJ. It is pretty impressive though to think that only 2 people have ever done this!

August 18, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  24. Phil

NOBODY will EVER be a match for MJ, "The King of Pop" ... end of story!

August 18, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  25. Peter Yanker

If MJ were alive today he would want to be dressed the same as Ms Perry in the pic above.

August 18, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  26. coksmash

You can't compare sales now vs. Then. Noone buys cds, its mostly digital or stolen.

August 18, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  27. O.Come.On

Is there any talent in the music industry today? All of the artist and their music sucks, so who cares if someone get's a #1 song. It's not that difficult. When MJ was getting #1 songs, there were tons and tons and tons of great artists making tons and tons and tons of great music. When American Top 40 ran during the 80's, all 40 of those songs deserved to be #1. Today, they only have American Top 10, and all 10 of those songs suck!!

August 18, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  28. A

This is very upsetting. MJ was a legend!! Will we remember Katy Perry in 25 years?? Don't think so!

August 18, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  29. Caligula

This proves that today's youth will buy anything! The overproduced garbage you hear on the radio, today, wouldn't even get AM radio play 30 years ago.

August 18, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  30. 19esmiopa50

WOW if MJ's stuff was on ITunes and were exposed to YouTube and internet – he'd have blown everyone away. Another fact, take his total sales with the Jackson 5, then the Jacksons, then solo ... without a doubt he blows everyone away in total record sales volume including Elvis and the Beatles who are listed above him. He is ranked 3rd as a solo artist all time sales but add his group stuff from when he was with his brothers – yep he wins 1st place.

August 18, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  31. jb2817

I thought she went the opposite way and turned herself into a black man the way he turned himself into a white woman that would have been a record

August 18, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  32. danny

Katy perry is pathetic and is not a role model for anyone her songs suck and she sucks, never ever have i heard a most terrible song than hers and she is ugly,rip micheal, i know u would have not let this happen, katy perry is nothn and i hope i pray she replies cause with her lyrics, u know what kind oif girl she is and she will get somethn thats comin to her

August 18, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  33. saby

Wow, what KP has is loud beats, computer generated backing and a very loud voice. Don't begrudge her success as she is giving buyers what they want. Which is McDonalds not Quality Cuisine.

August 18, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  34. kali

It's a great thing she did, I just wish her hits didn't get so annoying after a week. MJ's songs are everlasting. I can never get tired of them. Her, I can't say the same.

August 18, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  35. Tyler

It's really unfair to compare Teenage Dream to Thriller, or to compare Katy Perry to MJ in terms of sales. MJ wasn't selling his albums in a world with widespread music piracy, and back when Thriller came out, music was mostly bought on a whole-album basis. You either had to shell out the $10 for the entire album, or not own it. You couldn't go on Youtube to listen to songs by request. You couldn't go to The Pirate Bay and torrent the entire album without paying a cent, and there was no Spotify to allow most of the world access to your album. So quit claiming that Katy is a terrible artist because she can't sell albums–If MJ were around today, he wouldn't be able to either.

August 18, 2011 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Planet Jackson

Michael is STILL selling tens of millions of albums. He has generated over a BILLION dollars since his death in two years ago. For those who are interested in more things Michael, check out Planet Jackson at planetjackson {dot} net.

August 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. itsamemario

I*ll stick with pink when i want edgy pop rock music..

August 18, 2011 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  37. dedication!2

We all know Michael was "bad" now that he's heard this bs,you idiots went and made mike mad he's in the afterlife beating on bin laden's ass! Jigga huh jigga wut jkelly who?

August 18, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  38. elly

katty perry is not even close to michael. I can't believe she has 5 number ones. it's a joke. I don't care if she writes her own music cause it's crap. " I kissed a girl" !!! wow, what a powerfull lyric! The thing is that these teenagers will buy whatever the music industry feeds them and right now it's katty perry, gaga and beiber which are all no talents.

August 18, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  39. Tamara

Wow........i luv MJ may he rest n peace and so i wuld like 2 giv KP ha props...........congrats and Last Friday Night ROCKED!!!!!.....its like my fav. Song and u hav anoda 1 of my fav. Pple n da video:Kenny G & Hanson!!!!!!!

August 18, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  40. Keith

What you are all forgetting, is the marketplace for KP. Firstly, it is unfair to say she is not talented and to hold with such high esteem to MJ. Unfortunately, the teenage market is unfamiliar with MJ and his music and are simply only aware of him since his unfortunate passing. Prior to that, my niece had no true knowledge of MJ's music... KP popularity is aimed to the youth not disgruntled adults who read CNN and compare her to MJ which is a misrepresentation to today's music charts.

August 18, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  41. dedication!

...Oh Xcuse me,I had to take a few shots after reading most of the true fans comments...but uhm,its cool she did something that's not achievable in whomever's reading this,katty who? U can't compare ms little house,to chi-townz mj23,but I'll be Jamm'd if I don't slap the taste outta the next...mutha..,let's just compare her,how about world wide sales,sellouts,ppl fainting and ppl like me ( couldn't afford 2 make a concert appearance,HAD to see THE KING on tv), II say again "katty who,jigga wut,jigga who,yeah I remember that...Truly don't be fooled youngings,not in the same category as Mike! he he biaoo...

August 18, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  42. cat women

Good for her! Nice to see people reaching for the stars!

August 18, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  43. Collegegirl

Obviously she can be mentioned alongside greats such as Michael Jackson because she did tie his record. Just because many of you might not be her ideal demographic doesn't mean she's horrid. She got there for a reason.

August 18, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  44. mara

Obviously she can sing! She sold more than 1 million cds! Haters!Don't knock no one celebrity or a regular joe,they laugh at you too all the way to the bank!

August 18, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  45. kal

katyismyhero!Sohappytoreceivethisnews.Efthehatersperrydieswork!

August 18, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  46. Jack

Michael Jackson is still alive. Shows what you know. Seriously folks I'll be posting all night.

August 17, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  47. keithmoore1

All due respect to the accomplishment, but Perry hasn't made anywhere near the impact Jackson did when he made that achievement. MJ was a phenomenon across the globe, across racial and genre lines, not to mention different age groups.

August 17, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Bill

Of course she's the first woman and the only living artist to achieve the record--you just said that the only other person to do it was Michael Jackson, a MAN who is DEAD. Therefore, Katy Perry, as a WOMAN who is ALIVE will be the only woman and the only living artist to achieve the record. No kidding. Great writing!

August 17, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Come on guys

You guys are all rude, respect both artists. MJ worked hard and dedicated so much into his much. Same goes with Katy Perry she is a great artist, and has done so much hard work to be an artist and become recognized. Both are great artsits, and I'm glad that both have the chance to listen to their music.

August 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  50. dennis

THIS MEANS NOTHING! Often times, a white person will buy a white artist's product simply because they are popular and/or white with moderate talent. Black artists have to be super-humanly damn good to sell anything to a broad market, i.e., MJ.

So Katy don't let this go to your head. You will never even come close to being the artist MJ was.!!!!

August 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

I really doubt that's true. Especially considering mainstream rap artists, who are black and frankly not that good, sell more music and concert tickets to white people more than anyone else.
      p.s.
      I'm not a hater of rap music, just mainstream garbage (Lil Wayne, etc.,etc.)

August 18, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  51. cody

You guys are pathetic mj was great but he is gone now so get over it already how many records and number ones have u sold ??
    Yeah that's what I thought so get over it already

August 17, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. dgh2o

Janet had 7 top 5 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 from Rhythm Nation 1814, including 4 no 1's (Miss U Much, Escapade, Love Will Never Do Without You, Black Cat), 2 no 2's (Rhythm Nation, Come Back to Me), and a no 4 hit (Alright).

That's a record that is hard to beat...Katy needs two more top 5 hits to tie that record and one more top 3 hit to match Janet's 6 top 3 hits from a single album.

August 17, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Donny

All of you people dissing MJ while he's dead can burn in hell. He wasn't even convicted and you pathetic people are talking crap. Times have changed Katy perry had extra help and didn't struggle to put in work like MJ did.

August 17, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. BookShark

I've lost even more faith in our generation now. **sigh** :/
    I should've been born like 40 years ago to be able to have been alive at the time of MJ and the Beatles and actual talent.
    Hopefully these next ten years will be the years that alternative music and rock and worthy Pop music come back to become popular once more instead of Pop Crap about getting drunk and doing lewd things.

August 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  55. 19esmiopa50

Ok folks I'm in my 60s and have seen mucho many group groups/artists perform and yes saw Katy with my daughters. There is no comparison to MJ. Go watch YouTube of MJ back in the 70s, 80s, 90s ... he could tap dance, do comedy on the Jacksons Variety Show. He was very talented. In fact, even his unpublished songs are killer: checkout Fall Again, For All Time, Got the Hots, Shout, Xscape, Blue Gangsta, Someone Put Your Hand Out, Like They Way You Love Me, A Place With No Name (search YouTube and just enjoy..). Check out just some of his CD's like Off the Wall, Dangerous, History, Invincible, Forever Michael, his Ultimate Collections...besides Bad and Thriller. My gosh, his lyrics are killer and his songs timeless with a message and guess what they DON'T all sound the same. He is listed in Guiness as the most commercially successful entertainer of ALL TIME and is ranked 3rd all time best selling artist in the world EVER.

August 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  56. cantgetright

Whatever they both like it in the butt

August 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Jason

I think people confuse M's videos with his music. Only a handful of his songs are worth listening to and with the possible exceptions of The Way You Make Me Feel, none of the other songs listed are memorable. The same will likely be true 25 years from now for Katy Perry. Frankly Thriller is bot a great song, but the video is, especially for it'd time. The Beatles have more classic albums than MY has songs.

August 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  58. evan

I grew up in the 80s I couldnt stand his whiny voice. Id take her over him anyday.

August 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Wow

I wish people would read before commenting. I was around when MJ was big. Yet 2 of those songs I have never heard of. The other 3 are never played on the radio nowadays. Even on Satellite 80's stations. Thriller was the album you are all thinking of. And he did not have 5 number one singles off that album. Both albums had numerous hits and made a ton of money, but this article is about number one songs. The hits from Thiller are played over and often even on main stream radio. But again this is just about number one hits on a single album.

August 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Planet Jackson

I'm surprised you don't know all those songs–they were really big songs then and I still hear all of them (some of them only occasionally, some all the time as in several times a week). He had so many albums that spawned multiple hit singles that are still played regularly to this day on the radio, in movies, at parties, etc. I just can't see that 30 years down the road for Katy or any of these other "pop" stars of today. No offense to Katy either, but I only really know 2 of her songs.

August 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  60. heliocracy

Yes, and Michael Jackson also sucked and was overrated. Starting to see a pattern here...Americans like c r a p and popular usually equals bad.

August 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  61. LIVES

I never bought either's music. But if I had to I would buy MJ's over Perry's in a second. Today's billboard is just sleek marketing singing midi tracks. Video killed the musicians that had talent and replaced them with eye candy and all the people bought into it cause its hip. An accoustic guitar, or piano, a mic, and a stage, and I believe that's were musical talent begins. If you want to dance, feel free. LIVES

August 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Meh....

The first person to hold the recors molested kids. The second person can't sing-GREAT! And how was this decided as no one goes out to buy an album anymore-everyone download's music, songs often 1 at a time-who buys a whole album anymore? Katy Perry is just gross-maybe MJ didn't die-he *is* KP!!!

August 17, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Meh....

LOL, I don't get how "molesting kids" has anything to do with being a good artist.

Of course, you wouldn't know, would you? You probably can't even prove that he did it. Stay in school, tool.

August 18, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  63. Nick

1.7 mil albums is nothing, he sold 8 mil in the US alone. I like Katy Perry but shes no MJ, we live in a singles market nowadays albums will be dead in five years or so.

August 17, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  64. smooth

How did this happen selling only 1.7m albums? MJJ sold at least 12m? Times have changed

August 17, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  65. PhillyGuy

You have to be on crack to think that MJJ had no talent! What are you really smoking? MJJ was woowing crowds at 5. Name me an artist that you know of that started singing since they were 5 or 6 years old, professionally, and lasted into their 50's on top, before there were computers and autotune? None.

Whether or not you liked MJJ as an artist and his music is debatable. But to actually think it didn't take talent to do what he did, with a LIVE band, to stadium sized sold out concerts WORLDWIDE! Yeah, I'm sure Katie Perry could do that, as long as they had the karaoke playing on stage behind her.

August 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  66. steve von

Katy perry is smoking hot!!! But now I know the end of the world is near when she's ties mj with anything!!!

August 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Benny

Imagine if MJ had ITunes in his day. Wow. Unimaginable!!!

August 17, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • G

I know I bet all his singles from thriller would have gone to #1 lol. Not to mention he has some other very underrated songs that could have used iTunes for more exposure. I am kind of sad that she had 5 songs that made it to #1 since they are not that good, especially that Friday song yikes. But MJ still has some records no artist will achieve no matter how much they try.

August 17, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Dave

It saddens me that so many people from my generation are so unhip. Sure Michael Jackson was awesome, but Katy Perry rocks too. She's got a great voice and she speaks to the current generation. Of the five my favorite is Firework. Teenage Dream and Last Friday Night are fun party songs. The other 2 are just OK.

August 17, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  69. JeffinIL

She's more of a woman than Michael ever was.

August 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  70. RJ

Good for her. She's no MJ, but I respect the fact that she's a singer/songwriter who has a knack for writing catchy songs. She doesn't farm out the whole process like Britney, Rihanna, etc.

August 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  71. cali bell

Woot woot! Cali reppin :)

August 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Greg

Mmmmm, Katy Perry

August 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  73. aaa

KATY PERRY IS SO BEAUTIFUL !!!
    KATY PERRY IS SO BEAUTIFUL !!!
    KATY PERRY IS SO BEAUTIFUL !!!
    KATY PERRY IS SO BEAUTIFUL !!!

August 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Leo

All era's have there flavors....in terms of white female singers... entertainiers...etc....70'S From Cher...to Olivia Newton -John....80's Madonna to Debra Harry 90's etc 2000's etc......to me the listener....Katy Perry more of a kareoke type with a lot of computer type sounds...IT'S VERY DIFFICULT for me to think of her beating out some of these Lady's i've listed....Her music and image is almost Cartoonish....Little girlish....And is very high on herself...It's ok for a little kid to have self confidence... But todays kids or overly confident about themselves...to the point it's anoieng – (miss spelled) And from what i've seen and heard...Rude to people...I personally don't think she will last in the music industry long....She doesn't have any Plus's...... And for what i've seen on this site..not a lot of love....As for her tying Micheal Jackson as having all those singles hit # 1....The Thriller Album....You put her album up against The Thriller Album ....Jackson win's.... I've been around Music for years.... i'm 47 white and trust me i know good music....It's kinda insulting......My answer to this is being more acessable to music the internet....If she was around back in the day agaisnt any of these women with the same type acess of today..She gets wiped out easy.....no contest period..........

August 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Kasper

This says more about the general public than it does Perry, MJ or Billboard. If the masses are buying this crap and she has little talent compared to MJ, that means everyone that helped her achieve this record is slightly brain-dead. Either than, or tone deaf.

August 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Clif

Wow, she's terrible.

August 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Afro Myke

If half of America doesn't know this woman...it is SACRILEGIOUS!!!!!!!!! ...to put her name in the same sentence as MJ.

What's next, comparing George Bush to Jesus Christ?

August 17, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Rex Craigo

I'll take the hot chick over the perv child molester every day.

Go Katy.

August 17, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  79. david

I'd do her...twice if given a chance

August 17, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  80. JD

I wonder who's listening to a lot of the supposed top artists of today. And much of the music of today isn't that great with the exception of Lady Gaga of course. Records are matched and surpassed everyday, however MJ was and remains the world's true mega-star whose work from throughout his career is continually celebrated world wide. The man was a musical genius that inspired many of today's artists.

August 17, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  81. sandyk

it is understandable if lady gaga were to someday break michael's record, but katy perry?! goodness gracious!

August 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Confronation made clear

We say John Lennon you say Justn Bieber. We say Michael Jackson you say Katy Perry. We say Madonna you say Lady Gaga. We say the Beatles you say Jonas Brothers. We say Elvis you say Usher.

There is no one you like who can play guitar like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or even Jimmy Page.

Greater talent has gone before you. Your taste for talent is based on a machine. Jim Morrison predicted there performance creations. Authentic heart felt talent is gone.

Your taste for music is crazy. If I gave you a piece of #%IT you would think I was giving you a chocolate bar and yes you would smile and call it sweet. Your taste buds need professional surgery. I will pray for you.

GOD BLESS!

August 17, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  83. chuck

Michael jackson is not a legend he was a child molester glad somebody with class bumped him down

August 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • sirfash

the rumor has it that your a child molestor. It must be true because that's the rumor. Don't label anyone unless you have experience it first hand or know the facts...

August 18, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • @ chuck

So I guess when there was evidence that the kids lied to help their parents get money, that part was left out of your accusation... or was it the fact that MJ was acquitted of these charges?

August 18, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  84. Jeff

TGIF is one of the all-time best videos ever ( I can say this with 30 years of watching videos). It was so refreshing to see an actual video created and the song is pretty catchy to boot. Great job Katy!!

August 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Jack

Why is she wearing grandma shorts? Ugh, is there anything this chick does that doesn't completely suck?

August 17, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  86. starrfire

MJ – talent or not, will always be labeled a child molester

August 17, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  87. TBaggon

Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart is compiled based on sales and radio play. It is much easier today to buy a "single" song than it was back in 1987 when Bad was out (is that the correct year?) Also, there are a million more "radio"stations and satellite stations and internet stations- these are all factored in to compile the chart. She's just hot right now, has a few great producers and as she herself said "I put this record together to sell."
    So yeah, good for her, she's having her moment.
    With that said, do you think, in 5 years time, that any of her singles from this album will be played on radio stations the way MJ's songs are still played, or Madonna's songs? Do you think "hit me baby one more time" or "poker face" or "TGIF" or any of these songs from these girls will be around forever? No, they won't. Just hold your breath, they'll all be gone soon, only to be replaced by more drivel. And people who like these songs are not "sheep"- they just like a good song. What's the big deal?
    KP is no MJ, but just like he was, she is a POP music star and this is how it goes. Let's not get hysterical- does any of this really affect any of our lives?
    BTW if you're in or around NYC, check out the radio station 91.5 from 6AM til noon. I just discovered it- they play awesome alternative music which i thought was a dead issue. But when i listen to it, i am reminded of the early 80's when alternative music was just that. And no, no Katy Perry (or MJ for that matter!).
    Be good to yourselves......

August 17, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

Umm... Hit me baby one more time has been out for over a decade... I'm not sure you want to use that in your examples of disposable hits.

August 18, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  88. Dave

Katy Perrys lyrics aren't as artistic as MJs. You can see how music has changed just by that. Better or worse?

August 17, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Keith

Glad katy caught mj's single album #1's record. Let's see if she can catch some of his other records (like sales).

August 17, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  90. BGko

Evidence that stupidity is increasing at an exponential rate....

August 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Joy

Now THIS is the Perry that should run for president of the US!

August 17, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noskills81

Agreed! I really like her platform! :)

August 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thecatinthehat

And her T & A is not all that bad either. Maybe she could "blow" her way into the white house, just as she has done to top the billboard 100. There is current proof that you don't need to be all that smart to lead a nation, and she is certainly not smart....Perry for pres....2012....go Katy go.....

August 18, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Thecatinthehat

Oops, meant to say "blow" Katy "blow".....premature ejaculation on the send button, I'm afraid.....my bad

August 18, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  92. Mike

Well I'm 20 and guess that puts me in her demographic just like my friends. We all think she sucks and Billboard is crap, just like this story is crap to say she's a good as Michael Jackson. Katy Perry hitched up with that whack job Russell guy, bet she did it to make her CD's sell.

August 17, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonCNN

I must have read a different version if this story, because no where in the version I read did it say Katy Perry was better than MJ.

August 17, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spike

This article doesn't say she's better than MJ. How much better would discourse be on the Internet if people could actually comprehend the written word.

August 17, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  93. jZe

WoW! Queen U r so old. What's an album? Katy Perry is selling herself not album's. Agreed she is talentless but she is selling images. The king was ultra talented but most will in the back of their minds wonder what was wrong with him mentally.

August 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

Katy Perry is not selling herself. Trust me, I would know if she was ;)
      Also, "the king" is Elvis Presley. Always has been. Always will be.

August 18, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  94. Me

Am I the only one who doesn't know any of her supposed no. 1 hits? Obviously someone's listening, but who? I'm only 26 and this makes me feel so old. I know all of Michael's no. 1's word for word.

August 17, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  95. craigsf5

Folks, read (and, hopefully understand) the story before commenting. She only beat the other current releases. It's not stating she's as good as, or better than anyone else, but simply her current releases all sold faster than other songs released those weeks, and within one album's collection of songs. Others might have even placed as many simgles within the same time span, but with songs from different albums. Calm down and try to have a clue what your talking about. I bet the reading comprehension rate on some of these boards is in the single digits sometimes...good grief!

August 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lily Drager

Amen. At last a comment from someone with brains :o)

August 17, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thecatinthehat

I'll bet you eat your own boogers to gain a higher IQ, don't you.....what's next.....eat your own scat, washing it down with a cup of home made hot apple juice.......you intellectual wannabe's make me puke......loser. Now go, find your WII remote and pleasure yourself again....idiot.

August 18, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  96. Rugby

ACTUALLY, "Teenage Dream" is an incredible album with many great songs. It would not surprise me if she surpasses this record with a few of her other singles still left to roll out. I saw her live a month ago and her show was absolutely amazing. She sings great live. She truly is a gifted artist and deserves another look.

August 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  97. aj

Hey Sheep...A friend forced me to see Katy Perry in concert, I don't own her CD or listen to her music, but the girl can sing really well, better than she sounds on the radio. If you haven't seen someone sing live, don't automatically assume that because you don't like their music they can't sing live.

August 17, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheep (@ aj)

I love how you idiots assume that I make assumptions just based on a bias against Katy Perry... yes I have heard her sing live on a couple of awards shows and she is utterly horrible. She tries way too hard to reach notes she is not really capable of hitting on a consistent basis (which is understandable to a degree but not in this case) and it sounds really bad and not natural at all.

August 18, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  98. pugsly

the only category m.j. is in is dead child molester. good ridance

August 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Amen

August 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Show proof of this.

Of course you cant as there is none. The supposed abused said they lied, his dad committed suicide soon after that and the last trial they were shown to be money grabbing liars. But of course you always get some embarassingly uneducated moron who thinks otherwise. Pathetic childish troll.

August 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

Goodriddence indeed and @Charlie show us proof he didn't do it and then we'll show you proof he did. Or, just continue drinking your Jesus Juice...

August 18, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Jess

I doubt you have any proof, either. You get all hung up over the child molestation, for which MJ was CLEARED of... you're just as useless as those people who still aren't convinced that Obama was born in the US... just go away. People can't even separate the artist from the person... people like you are pathetic. I guess you think people who talk about kissing other girls and having promiscuous nights is a lot more beneficial to your well-being than a song called "Heal the World" that can really speak out to the masses about the suffering in the world.

August 18, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  99. Noskills81

Hey, while she might not possess the greatest vocal range, she can can definitely write a catchy song. Let's not forget her production (i.e. good beats) is always top-notch, which is something MJ always had too. She deserves the accolades.

August 17, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

You might be right if she actually wrote any of her own music.

August 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

She does write her own music. Look at the writing credits. Idiot.

August 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

You been keeping up with the music industry these days? No "artist" writes their music ghostwriters do it and then Katy takes the credit for it for royalties sake. Cant make money off the album alone so she has to screw people out of writing credits.

August 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • CinGuy

@Nick

You must be young, too.

There are plenty of artists that write/produce/compose their own music these days. But you won't find them on KissFm, or any other Clear Channel station. Take a risk and expend your horizons a little bit. Listen to music that isn't so "accessible." Humans aren't perfect, and neither should be the music that we make.

August 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Aberfoyle

MJ was a pedera**.

August 17, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • CinGuy

A what?

Check your spelling, genius.

August 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • quibbles

Actually it's not his spelling that's off, but the term he's using - pederasty refers to an unhealthy relationship between an adult and adolescent male, whereas pedophilia is applied to those attracted to pre-pubescents.

August 18, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jellomundo

He needs to check his facts as well as his spelling. MJ was acquitted and the FBI also found no evidence of him molesting any kids anywhere ever. They investigated all over the world for a period of 17 years. Join MJIL, the Michael Jackson International Legion MJIL (dot) net to fight incorrect information and to preserve Michael's Legacy.

August 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  101. America1

Wow, most people obviously have no idea what true talent is, because it sure isn't Katy Perry. I can't even believe that she is even mentioned in the same category as MJ. Most singers these days couldn't carry a tune if their life depended on it. True talent is from years gone by, not todays music.

August 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

You're implying Michael Jackson had talent. You're also implying that no modern artist can sing. Both implications are not only false, but moronic when you truly think about it. Well, at least the second one. Everyone can have their own opinion on which artists sound good, but denying that singing is a lost art is absolutely ridiculous.

August 17, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • G

She doesn't need to imply MJ had talent it's a fact! Even if you don't like him saying he had no talent is idiotic. On the other hand implying Katy Perry has talent is debatable.

August 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  102. hungry howies

Anybody got some weed?

August 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  103. pali

I'do her ... mj, not so much

August 17, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queenfan

Agreed, LOL.

August 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoLove

Me 2

August 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thecatinthehat

Is it still called "nechophillia" (spelling required) if the body has been dead and buried for over (1) year? Enquiring minds want to know...... As for Katy, I doubt you'll find an orfice tight enough to derive any satisfaction, as I hear she does the horizontal mamba often. Choose MJ....he won't talk back.....

August 18, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
    • MJ Can't

Katy is so damn HOT! Specially when she kisses a girl... she likes it!

Also, she is a lot more talented and smarter than her bubble gum image may suggest.

Why compare? Katy is her own artist. Teens are their own consumers today. Man in the Mirror wouldn't make #1 if it were released today.

She's got this pop-rock edgy style.... nobody has done it like her. Oh oh... and did I mentioned she is smoking hot? Damn natural boobs and all... I'd do her right now... MJ? Nah, I'm too old for him...

August 18, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  104. 19esmiopa50

Michael Jackson is the KING - no matter what. He was so very multi-talented and lasted 4 decades!!! Let's see how long Perry, Gaga, JT, Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Eminen etc make it. The guy was legend and guess what he didn't have all the automated techno auto-tune stuff to help him along. He did it the old fashioned way - he just sang and danced his heart out at every concert for 2-1/2 hours. Sony execs said that he was by and far the most talented and dedicated artist they ever encountered...and that says a lot to this day. Billboard and Rolling Stone are so whacked.

August 17, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • America1

I totally agree with you 19esmiopa50....there truly is no comparison between MJ and Katy.....talent vs no talent...

August 17, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • RhodeynCap

Wow calm down. No-one said she is better than MJ – that would be silly. You have to admit,though, that this is quite the accomplishment for her. Good for her I say.

August 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

I'll say it. Katy Perry is better than MJ. And that's before I even take into consideration him being a pedophile.

August 18, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  105. alecia

good for her! i dont think that any of you are her demographic ideal!

August 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  106. jimbo

A friend said he heard she might rub booboo in her hair so it will be so dark and shiny. I bet it smells though.

August 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  107. inmate

This is a joke, right ?

August 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  108. The Truth

pathetic

August 17, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  109. KajinPL

WHAT?! NO!!!! BLASHPHEMY!!!!! Well, you know what they say. Records are made to be broken.

August 17, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  110. [lol]

Not sure if Billboard is legit anymore...

August 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kendra

Michael Jackson is one of the greatest artists of our time and Katy Perry is one of the worst. How did this even happen?

August 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • craigsf5

Legit? It's not meant to decide which songs are best, it only shows what is selling fastest. Those 5 MJ songs aren't his best, they were just selling the fastest on those weeks. To be legit they simply have to be accurate.

August 17, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  111. o rly

It is quite a catchy song, I give it that. Yea I guess that makes me a "sheep."

August 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRUEBOB

"DJ's passed out in the yard" ... instant classic if you know any DJ's.

August 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Sheep

What a shame... A legend like MJ matched by a hack who can't even belt a decent tune live. I guess LadyBoy GagMe will be the next one to top that record if not some other record.

August 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queenfan

Yeah, but i'm pretty sure MJ sold like, 30million copies of his album, with Hundreds of thousands in each of the major territories within the first week of it's launch, and this isn't moving along nearly so well. 1.7 Million copies of the album and 5 top singles. I guess people just buy singles now? I still have to have whole albums. I know that we don't have media with 'sides' anymore, but, "The B Sides" are often little gems you might not otherwise hear if you don't buy the Album.

August 17, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • JBoy

You're kidding, right? She was a great singer live: you could tell singing's her passion, and she belted out songs and notes in such variety that you could tell she actually was singing, unlike Brittney, who seems to be lip syncing her way through her tour.

August 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Well said !

August 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patch

My thoughts exactly; my first impression to this article was: Katy who? I went out of my way to listen to her 5 singles, but found that her songs are really not that special, and quite forgettable. On contrast, I could still remember the lyrics to MJ's top 100 hits and many other singles.

August 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitch

@QueenFan –

I hate to tell you this, but the B-Sides that were always so fun in the old days were (generally) not part of the album at all. They were the flip side of a 45 or cassette single...and even added on many CD singles as an extra track (no longer a B-Side since there was no longer two "sides"). So the album concept has absolutely nothing to do with B-Sides. If you are buying full albums in digital form, that is your prerogative (as I do with many releases myself). But I am very hesitant to purchase an entire alum from an artist that appears to be a 1 (or maybe 2) hit wonder. I would rather pay the $2-$3 for the decent songs than $10 just to get the garbage tracks. And iTunes makes this a great option buy discounting the album price by the amount you have already spent on any of the songs from said album. It really is a much better world for music consumers.

August 17, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kasper

Agreed. But then again, most people in America can recognize a picture of Snookie from Jersey Shore and wouldn't have a clue who Ben Franklin was.

August 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jewels

What a disappointment. She in no way has the talent that MJ did.

August 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • edvhou812

Yeah, but it doesn't look like anyone is buying her record. I think Thriller sold something like 50-60M copies. Perry has a long ways to go.

August 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jaytown

It's a different business. There is no way she would have 5 #1 singles if business was done the old way. And if Thriller was in today's business, it could have had 7-8 #1 singles.

August 17, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • heaven666

MJ is a booger.

August 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • poster113

I think Katy Perry's music sounds a lot like MJ's. They are quite a good comparison. They both sing about themselves and broad social cliche's. Some of these posters sound like old farts.
      Because I'm Bad, I'm Bad-
      Come On
      (Bad Bad-Really, Really Bad)
      You Know I'm Bad, I'm Bad-
      You Know It
      (Bad Bad-Really, Really Bad)
      You Know I'm Bad, I'm Bad-
      Come On, You Know
      (Bad Bad-Really, Really Bad)
      And The Whole World Has To
      Answer Right Now
      Just To Tell You Once Again,
      Who's Bad

August 17, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • rovi

I prefer Katy to MJ, who's become "legend" only after his death. Before that, there was no end to everyone trashing him.

August 18, 2011 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
    • humberto

Ha Ha on you .

August 18, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
    • momo-chan

Queenfan- Are you serious? Do you not know how the internet changed music? It's far more impressive to get 5 no. 1's today than it was 25 years ago.

August 18, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Jess

Hey Sheep,
      Have you never heard her sing live? Youtube some of her acoustic performances at someplace like the Hotel Cafe and then tell me she can't sing. Until then, keep it to yourself.

August 18, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Travelerkate

I am by no means a Katy Perry fan, but I ended up at her concert last night. Although her songs just aren't my thing, I had to admit she had a great voice- she was belting while dancing (which most pop stars don't do anymore).

August 18, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Thizz

at least she isn't molesting little kids.

August 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

I love her. She's like a living cartoon character. Her songs are fun and not serious. Good for her!

August 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |