Adam Levine to 'Idol': Give me a break
August 16th, 2011

Adam Levine to 'Idol': Give me a break

Adam Levine may view "American Idol" as a "cultural institution," as he tells Out magazine in its latest issue, but there's at least one thing about the show that sets him off.

The "Voice" coach and musician vented to the magazine about what he sees as the Fox show's downplaying of contestants' sexuality. (The network declined to comment on Levine's remarks.)

“What’s always pissed me off about 'Idol' is wanting to mask that, for that to go unspoken,” he said. “C’mon. You can’t be publicly gay? At this point? On a singing competition? Give me a break. You can’t hide basic components of these people’s lives. The fact that 'The Voice' didn’t have any qualms about being completely [open] about it is a great thing.”

Levine adds that he can "single-handedly dispel any ideas that sexuality is acquired. Trust me, you’re born with it. My brother is gay, and we knew when he was two,” he went on. “We all really wanted to provide some cushion for him and constantly let him know that it’s OK.”

As far as any guesses about his own sexuality, "there's no way to hide my straightness," the "Moves Like Jagger" singer said.

"But if people didn’t think there was a small chance I was gay, then I wouldn’t be doing my job very well," he went on. "Look at the best ones, guys whose sexuality was always questioned. Bowie. Jagger. Freddie Mercury. I wouldn’t be the front man of a band if that question hadn’t come up at some point.”

Read the rest of Levine's interview when Out magazine's September issue hits newsstands August 23.

Filed under: American Idol 2011 • Celebrities • television • The Voice

1. Vip

I don't know who this "Adam Levine" is and the only singer that he listed that I know is Bowie and I don't listen to him. As far as the s3xuality problem: the H0mos3xual community does not need the Heteros3xual community to help them crawl out of their closets. Let them live in their embarassment and shame until they get comfortable with the idea that< "everything is going to be okay." because all of the do that....

August 17, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. charlie crack

Levine can sing semi well, i'll give him that....c0cky b@st@rd though......

August 17, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. The Poopinator

Who does this prima-donna think he is. I want to kick his teeth out.

August 17, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

$100 bucks says you probably couldn't even land a scratch on him. Go play on your XBox 360, troll.

August 17, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Anderson Fartley

Just another gayBoy band.

August 17, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. JR

Adam Levine isn't gay?!! Thats shocking... Why would he act and look so gay if he wasn't?

August 17, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. Atlas

I am a 29 years old computer engineer and now I am seeking a nice woman for a stable relationship,so I got a username Alexwing432 on-Meetrich.C óM---it's the most effective site in the world to connect with, date and marry successful, beautiful people.Meanwhile,it's worthy a try.The best part is that it's completely free, unlike all the other paid dating sites.You do not have to be rich or famous!

August 17, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sarah B

Ok, Adam Levine is smokin' hot and if I had a remote chance of hooking up with him I don't think I could pass, BUT as talented as he is – and I DO love the music – comparing yourself with Jagger, Freddie Mercury, and David Bowie is awfully ballsy. I don't think he's quite earned that recognition yet. They were controversial and pushed boundaries. Their music wasn't just sing-along tunes on the radio and top-40 hits. Their music defined generations. Maroon 5's albums are great, but I don't think they have the same power. I don't know that we'll still hear Maroon 5 albums 20 years from now and have the same kind of memories that we do of Queen. Sorry Adam, I still love ya though!

August 17, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. jim meissner

The sinus singer. Or should I say nasal whiner actually gives voice lessons? This guy makes bubble gum songs and sings them with a whiny nasally voice...how could he teach voice lessons?

August 17, 2011 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dan

I'm not exactly a fan of Adam Levine, but I agree with him. Especially on the Perez Hilton part, seeing that he is a huge bully, who thinks he has immunity for being gay. It is hard for people to be openly gay in the industry, though.

August 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |