New Lily joins 'Modern Family'
August 15th, 2011

New Lily joins 'Modern Family'

"Modern Family's" Lily has had quite the growth spurt between seasons.

As we reported earlier, there was a casting call out for a new daughter for the ABC show's couple Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson), seeking an "Asian, 3- to 4-year-old" girl since the character was supposed to start taking on a larger storyline.

As Tyler Ferguson previously explained to E!, "Lily will definitely be more prominent in season three...She'll be almost 3, so you have to have her as an integral part of the storyline. You know, she'll be going to preschool and socializing more and all that stuff, so it will be fun."

The young actress who will be taking on the part is 4-year-old Aubrey Anderson-Emmons, reports Entertainment Weekly, which has exclusive photos of "Modern Family's" latest cast member.

In the photo above, Anderson-Emmons' Lily is seen with adopted dad Cameron (Stonestreet).

Although Nolan Gould, who portrays Luke Dunphy, hasn't worked with his new castmate yet, it seems Anderson-Emmons has mastered the on-set basics. "[Sh]e is really happy," he tells EW. "She says lines. She does everything. She’s really cute.”

What more could a viewer ask for? To see more photos of the new Lily, check out the new issue of Entertainment Weekly.

Filed under: Celebrities • Modern Family • television

1. test2

whoah this blog is excellent i really like reading your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You already know, many persons are hunting around for this info, you could aid them greatly. test2 http://testdomain.com

March 17, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. GiGi

This is FAR and WIDE the best TV show of today!

September 1, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hapa Dad

She's hapa (half asian). Found this cute video with her and her dad. http://www.youtube.com/user/aubreyandersonemmons#p/u

August 25, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. ivyhair

Comments on this COMEDY took a very serious turn :( Lighten up....lol!

August 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lilgtogirl

They needed a new kid. Those twins were the most boring ugly babies ever. They always looked drugged because they never smiled, made a sound, or even cried. I actually stopped watching the show because I kept telling my husband that their family needed to be investigated for abuse. Lets face it, the other babies were absolutely MISERABLE to look at so they had to go.

August 17, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. beenz

Agreed, Alex. And she/they looked miserable the whole time.

August 17, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. Alex

The original baby Lily was creepy.

August 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LisaA

I'm bummed-the baby that played Lily cracks my family up how she always sits there with a blank stare on her face. I hate that they are recasting!!!

August 16, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mia

But the thing was, she never smiled! She always seemed sad and miserable. The girl that they are having to play her is adorable and will be a perfect new Lily

August 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. anona muss

I will miss the best straight man on TV. The original Lilies were fantastic. Their "man, I AM in the wrong family" looks were the best.

August 16, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jrod

Aww man. I'm gonna miss those blank stares of Lily's. lol

August 16, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. gabriel

I love this show. As a young gay man I found very interesting 2 guys adopting a bb ... I guess I will do the same in the future ...

August 16, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. jim bob

Love this show, so incredibly smart, funny and touching. Can't wait to see Lily talking and interacting more.

August 16, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. susanbellnc

I hate the way TV shows take a child character and grow them up between seasons. It's always bothered me. One season, the kid is an infant. The next, they're in school.

August 16, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Melania

I hate the way some people get so overly emotionally invested in a tv show that they get this uptight over a casting change.

If this is your biggest issue in life, you've got it pretty good.

August 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. uofmdixon

Best show you tv,right now.

August 16, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Suzanne

I'm sure it will be fine. I've watched the soap Y&R for years and they do this all the time. You know when they send the kid off to a boarding school abroad or even to camp all summer that they're replacing the actor and coming back older. We joke that they went to SORA – the School of Rapid Aging. Its even written into the dialogue as a joke- "Wow son, what have they been feeding you? You've grown so much I barely recognize you!" It gets worse when they leave twice and come back nearly the age of their parents.

August 16, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. Jonny

Too bad they lose the twins. It is a great way for them to shoot more often without having to deal with the labor laws associated with kids under 16. Full house taught us all how to get around that.

August 16, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  17. debribra

Who the hell is Lily????

August 16, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  18. Brian

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet: how are they supposed to explain that Lily has aged 2-3 years, but none of the other kids have? She'll be entering preschool, but the other kids will only have aged one summer and be going back to school. Are we all (and the characters) supposed to just not notice this?

August 16, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
    • humberto

Thats so they don't ask for a raise .

August 16, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

This is the 3rd season and they adopted her in the first episode. So she has already aged 2 years. The new actress is 4 but the quote is the character is "almost 3.". So I don't think the character has aged any more than any one else.

August 16, 2011 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Say What

The girl who plays the oldest daughter, Haylie? She is like 21, and she plays an 16 yr old. Older children play younger all the time. Lily would be 3 in this season, so it makes sence. Besides it's a TV show, a damn good one at that. So just enjoy what they have to offer.

August 16, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. HaterAid

I heard the old Lilly is in rehab ... That's why they had to find a new one . Damn Hollyweird

August 15, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. derptard

This show is painfully unfunny and lame.

August 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Cocowu

One of my favorite Jay quotes, upon meeting Cameron and Mitchell's newly adopted Asian baby For the first time (paraphrased): "Lily? Isn't that sort of cruel?"

August 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

The quote you are thinking of is actually said by Phil. He says, "lily? Won't that be hard for her to say?"

August 16, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • nadia

lol.. thanks for reminding me with this very funny line..

August 16, 2011 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  22. JamesT

I love this show (except for Phil) but this isn't really a major leap like some shows have done. It's the 3rd season and she's only going to be 3 years old. The baby on 'Family Ties' went from infant to 5 year old over one summer and it happens so much on daytime TV there's a term for it: 'SORAS' or Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome.
    I can't wait to see them dealing with an active toddler.

August 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. WHOOPI MATTHEWS

As long as sofia enlivens the show with her, um, "assets", I have no problem with the ever so new lily.

August 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Valerie!

I'm no grammar whiz or anything, but isn't adoptIVE dad, not adoptED dad?? The latter implies that Cam himself was adopted, at least in my opinion.

August 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. PaulineBlack

She says lines? You mean she doesn't just stare off into the distance with a vapid look on her face? Holy cow, she's ALREADY better than the old Lily!

August 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Cozi

Gonna miss the blank stares of the other girls, it was totally comical and fit perfectly between Cameron and MItchells banter. But this show has great writers and I cant wait to see the interaction between these three.

August 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. claire dunphy

Lily has been an integral cast member even as a baby, it's not like Oliver in the Brady Bunch or Sam in Different Strokes

August 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. zazelsodo

@Momof2. A parent is a parent, but a biological father and an adopted father are two ENTIRELY different things. I am an adopted father of my wonderful son...however, I still have daily interaction with my son's biological father. For the writer(s) of a sitcom, the potential that there could be a biological parent entering the picture could be comedy gold.

August 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • nadia

zazelsodo: knowing someone is a proud adoptive parent with a good relationship (at least a relationship -since I"m assuming it's a good one) with the biological father somehow just lift up my spirit.. wishing your family all the best..

August 16, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  29. momof2

CNN, one question, why refer to her "adopted dad"? You wouldn't refer to another characters "biological dad", would you? A parent is a parent.

August 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Pointing out that he is adopted explains why an "Asian, 3- to 4-year-old" girl was being cast as the child of a clearly white father shown in the photo accompanying the story. It is not a comment on their relationship, but is a clarification for people not familiar with the show.

August 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Because he's gay, and the act of being gay produces no offspring; so, he would have to adopt a child. Did that clear it up for you? PC will be the downfall of rationality.

August 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heather

I understand the "does it need to be pointed out that a child is adopted" feeling. I understand it firsthand because I am an adoptive mother.
      *BUT*
      Maybe it's because I'm a third time mom who has been caring for children since I was 12. Maybe it's because I am really comfortable with who I am as a person and a mother. Maybe growing up with so many adopted cousins, adoption just felt perfectly natural. Maybe it would be different if my child was noticeably of a different race. I really don't mind when comments are made about the adoption, especially if they clarify some confusion such as why our son doesn't have some our recessive genes or why he is so much younger than his siblings. Thing is, my comfort with the way he joined our family has spilled over to him.

August 16, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • uriga

Did they say "gay father"? They didn't? Ok just checking. Don't make problems just to show to other people how holy thou art.

August 16, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Mike, being gay is NOT synonymous with being an eunuch. Gay guys are perfectly capable of fathering a child, if they want to.

August 16, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Observer

The day taht two men or two women can create a child without any outside help is the day that gays should be parents. Just sayin.

August 16, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Mileena

@Observer.... you are the definition of "ignorance"

August 16, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Kara

Oh here we go ... there's always 1 wet blanket in the crowd. Take your politic correctness debate to another site.

August 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Josh, thank you for that lesson on human biology. I am curious about one thing though. Can two gay men produce a child in the same way that a straight couple can? Don't over-analyze everything, Josh. You'll find that everything doesn't have to offend you.

August 18, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. C

I hope this doesn't change the show up to much, I doubt it will. This show will always be great as long as Phil is around.

August 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry

Agreed. Phil is the funniest character on the show.

August 16, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Natalie

I agree Phil is very funny but I enjoy Manny so much more! That kid is hilarious!!!! Either any of those 2 gone, I'd prob. stop watching the show...

August 16, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  31. DAT

There is usually no better indication that a sitcom has “jumped the shark” than the introduction of a precocious, smart-mouthed 3 or 4 year old kid. I sure hope that's NOT what's happening here.

August 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becky #2

Except they are not actually adding a character... Lily has been there from the start, just as a baby. They can't really expect that character to stay a baby. I am positive that they are only choosing a new actor for the part because a baby is, for all intents and purposes, a prop on a sitcom. Now that the kid is older, they need someone who can act...

August 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

They are replacing the twins who played Lily because they were getting more interested in not working. Good for them

August 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

Sean, where did you get that from? They replaced them because they weren't talking!

August 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elaine

Hannah, where did YOU get THAT? That is not the case. The twins' parents wanted them to stop. And the character is aging.

August 15, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Didn't "Growing Pains" try this with Chrissy, and got cancelled soon thereafter?

August 16, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Jill

Where did it say she'd be smart mouthed? She's an existing character, not a new addition.

August 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Gr8ful Dude

And it looks like Lily will be the smartest member of this cast.

August 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

Best line from the series so far, "Leave it to the gays to raise the only under achieving Asian in America."

August 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sencho

And that's why not everyone should be allowed to comment...

Nolan Gould, who plays Luke on the show, is a member of Mensa. And he's all of about 12 years old.

August 16, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  33. WhoCares

@Junkpile – Ummmm, yeah, don't quit your day job.

August 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Junkpile

They should have cloned her that way if their timing was right she would look the same no matter how many seasons the show remained on TV. New season = new clone.

August 15, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |