Top TV shows watched by men
August 12th, 2011

Top TV shows watched by men

The Hollywood Reporter reveals the shows men like best, and most of the results aren’t too surprising.

According to Nielsen data, favorites include “Family Guy,” “Jersey Shore,” “The Voice,” “Tosh.0” and “Pawn Stars.” (This is excluding sports, of course.)

But the No. 1 show watched by men may not be what you would expect: it's "American Idol."

Since men only make up about 40 percent of TV viewers, male-skewed shows can earn more ad revenue than, say, “Grey’s Anatomy.” Men are harder to reach, media professional Todd Gordon explains to The Hollywood Reporter, “So older demos and female demos tend to be a little bit easier to find and a little bit less expensive to reach than younger demos or men."

According to ad-buying firm Starcom, men watch TV for four reasons: “to prepare themselves for battle; to feel rebellious; to connect to a passion (mostly sports, music or cars); and to be mentally challenged.”

1. T

I find it hard to believe that A.I. is watched most by men. Seriously ?

I don't watch it and find it a bit dull. And as for the horrible "Jersey Shore", who watches that ? Surely no one over the age of 16 ! It's shows like Fringe, Family Guy, Burn Notice, sport programs, Eureka, Modern Family would be what guys watch – sports, action shows, sci-fi and comedies, not train wreck reality shows.

August 15, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Terrible TV

I think what you mean is that men pay for the television service, which looks like they are watching, but it's actually only women watching american idol from the mens service. I know that's the case with me. Or maybe this question was asked during Census.

August 15, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. justin holt

Among all the tv shows American Idol is the best show. And I personally find this is the best show on TV.

August 15, 2011 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. henry

wow and this is based off what shows that cnn is affiliated with or what this is a garbage list i dont watch tv any more entertainment these days is a JOKE!

August 15, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. charlie crack

@Lloyd- phuck u! I'll slap the taste outa your mouth b!tch! I'm screwin' your sister.....

August 15, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mr. Typical Man

What's American Idol?

August 14, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. charlie crack

^^ @mario....msg was for you bro.........

August 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. charlie crack

You're a real man to accept that you want to do better......but, mario on the real my dude...you are right to say "beats unemployment". You can provide for you and your girl and provide good things like the drive in the other night....frankly, i'm proud of you bro........that's 100%.........and get me a pizza to TX if you can.......*PUFFFFF*..........be good bro.......

August 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. erich2112x

Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Arrested development
    Mad Men

August 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. itsamemario

@charlie im actually gonna be working today, makin roundtable pizzas. its not the best gig in the world but it beats unemployment. y*all have a good sunday ppls..

August 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. charlie crack

@ms.fernace- I agree jersey shore is for 16yr olds...trainwreck. But, I get stuck watching it w/ my girlfriend or I go turn on ESPN like you said....@itsamemario- yeah AI by themselves.....um nah....hope you're not workin' too hard this w/e... Yall be good....

August 14, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. Snarf

Well... Jersey shore? Any man (meaning over 18) sees that crap?
    The first season was a weak one... all the other ones are scripted like glee. There is not even 1 scene that was "really tapped"... since all the scenes are made 20/50 times before getting onto the tv screen. But they continue to say that is a great reality show... without any reality in it. (well over 500 traffic violations, 35 crashs, in a little more than 1 week by the production crew and actors in Italy was a reality)

August 14, 2011 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
    • heliocracy

You seem to know a great deal about it. I've never watched even one second of that crap.

August 14, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. itsamemario

maybe a bunch of guys are watching A.I. with their girlfriends, but by themselves? :s

August 14, 2011 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. fernace

I agree with all you dudes! You should know! Jersey Shore!? Really! If you're 16 maybe! Yep, this is a promotion to get guys to Start watching these shows! They're not so subtly planting the thought in y'alls heads, don't give in! And only 40% of TV. watchers are men!? That's got to be a typo, with all the sports on all the channels including ESPN, & the men glued to their flat screens! This poll is bogus, back to the "drawing" board, CNN!!

August 14, 2011 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. yada

Pure garbage! I don't believe for a minute men watch AI...as their #1 show! BULL! REAL men don't watch it at all! How's THAT for a survey?! LMAO!

August 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Speculative

Shows like
    something like Breaking Bad , The Walking Dead, Fringe, The Daily Show and probably Modern Family sound more realistic.

American Idol? thats blatantly not true. where did you survey? how many? and in what way did you survey them?

August 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dawn01

try better this http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

August 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mejazzbo

I don't believe any of this. The Hollywood Reporter is probably being paid to promote those shows.

August 12, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. itsamemario

i watch family guy, out of all the ones listed it entertains me the most..then again my main show is the walking dead..

August 12, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jaleesa

I think they are talkin bout gay guys maybe.

August 12, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Marrisha'82

What men are you talking about my guy doesn't watch any of those shows.

August 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. charlie crack

@Superhiro- I see ya dude.......have a good weekend bro......be safe, be good

August 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. portalpunk

It’s Friday, Friday
    Gotta get down on Friday
    Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend
    Friday, Friday
    Gettin’ down on Friday
    Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend

August 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Superhiro

Pawn Stars? Really?! And Idol I just straight don't believe.

August 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Pawn Stars is way better than Idol. different strokes for different folks. this is what makes the world go around...also be very destructive!!!!!

August 14, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  25. Gr8ful Dude

First!

August 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • HollywoodSurF

Most watched and listened show on the air is"

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmbAYyX8qFs&w=640&h=390]