George Lopez thanks Sandra Bullock on last show
August 12th, 2011

George Lopez thanks Sandra Bullock on last show

Well that was fast.

On Thursday night, just a day after TBS [which is owned by the same parent company as CNN] announced that "Lopez Tonight" was canceled, host George Lopez signed off with his last show.

Arsenio Hall, Eva Longoria, Slash and basketball stars Ron Artest and Derek Fisher were on hand to help Lopez go off the air with a few last laughs.

The farewells began on Wednesday night, when Lopez joked about his cancellation in a monologue.

"I only have till tomorrow night, so relax," he said. "Did you guys see the news? Unemployment is at an all-time high, and for Latinos, it just got a little higher. I did get some good news this morning, though. Sony announced they're doing a sequel to 'The Smurfs' movie [which Lopez provided a voice for]. So today I lost some work because I'm brown, but I got some work because I'm blue."

Lopez continued, "My goddesses are a wreck. They left me," he said in a jab at Charlie Sheen. "We're not saying goodbye, we're saying cable doesn't work."

But on Thursday night, his last on the "Lopez Tonight" stage, the comedian and actor was more sentimental.

"I never realized I could love people as much as I do now," he says. After thanking Warner Bros. [also owned by the same parent company as CNN] and his show's crew, he added, "and most importantly I want to thank Sandra Bullock, who 11 years ago took a chance on me."

"I want to thank my fans, who have followed me from stand-up to my sitcom and to 'Lopez Tonight,'" Lopez said. "It's been great."

Filed under: Celebrities • Late Night comedy • television

1. Racist

All you claim to be Latino are sell out's George did alot to help out people.. and now what do we have on late night all WHITE talk show host's.... first they bumped him to midnight then they fired him.!!! George was Discriminated

September 24, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. jacko

I am latino and I always thought this sack of Z41t was annoying. It was the stoopyd whites who made him famous.

September 7, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lupe rivera

I'm from beautiful Southern California, and I noticed most of these comments from these white folks are from the East Coast, and if your not from California, you don't know jack about being Chicano comedian and living in the Southwest. I've watched Conan and Letterman shows and their jokes are not funny, they suck. George was cancelled because "Yes" he's Chicano because Hollywood still likes to keep Chicanos actors and actresses unrepresented on T.V." Well, George Mi Carnal keep doing what you love to do and don't worry about all these racist B.S. because California knows how Party! "

August 19, 2011 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. purplekam123

George Lopez is a racist. What he is is NOT FUNNY and should never have been a late night host.

August 16, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Spring

I am a 35 years old computer engineer and now I am seeking a nice woman for a stable relationship,so I got a username Alexwing432 on-Meetrich.C óM---it's the most effective site in the world to connect with, date and marry successful, beautiful people.Meanwhile,it's worthy a try.The best part is that it's completely free, unlike all the other paid dating sites.You do not have to be rich or famous!

August 16, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. plastered egg

the show was not good, but few are! Lopez lived (and died in this instance) on his constant bashings of race. Even in his comments listed in the article, he saisd he lost a job because he is "brown"...and got one because he is "blue". You need more than that, for TV. He had his moments, but "show Host" is a tough gig. He'll stay plenty busy though!

August 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dinak

He didn't lose his job b/c he's brown, as he asserts, – what a jerk. If his ethnicity were a problem, he never would have made it so big. He's an ass, and I am glad that he's off the air for that reason.

August 15, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. Hater 27

LOPEZ SUX. THAT'S WHY HIS SHOW IS ENDING, STUPID LAME ASS LOSER. HIS SHOW WAS ABOUT AS FUN AS WATCHING ROSIE ODONNEL CHANGE HER TAMP

August 14, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Texan

all he did was constantly talk about how he was latino. we get it. get over it. he can't find a way to be funny without making it about his race somehow. that's the kind of thing that just continues racist divisions and is annoying to watch, whether or not you're latino.

August 14, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AngelWood

He tried to be a Latino Eddie Murphy, he failed miserably! Go back to serving chimi-changas and tacos out of your run-down food van, George. I love me some beef burritos during my lunch break with extra cheese and hot sauce. And don't forget to cut my grass and clean my toilet, I need these thing to be in good condition. No, you won't get more than 5 pesos an hour! Adios, wetback!

August 14, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Latina32

AngleWood: What a horrible thing to say. Talk about Karma.

August 15, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • 1ateen0

Ha. You are a disgruntled unemployed redneck. Go back to eating macaroni, sausage and green beans.

September 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ivan Quiroga

I am Latino. I watched his show a few times. It totally sucked.

August 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Charles

It's ironic that Lopez welcomed Conan to TBS, was bumped to a different time slot, then cancelled. Just as the same happened to Conan when he took over the Tonight Show at NBC. I wonder if Conan feels he was any part of the cancellation of Lopez's show, or whether Conan will experience any backlash. Good luck George! Hope you find success elsewhere.

August 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jersey

I never watched his sitcom when it was on the air, but caught it on reruns and LOVED it. I still watch it. I don't think his comment about being fired for being brown was so much racisit as it was a setup for the rest of his joke – about getting work because he was blue (as in Smurf-blue). George Lopez is a very funny man and makes me laugh. Okay, not all the time, but enough of the time that I can consider him a genuine comic. Lighten up people. Its comedy. Good luck George. I'll be tuning in on your next project.

August 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RD

I'm glad Mr. Lopez is laughing all the way to the bank. I have been a fan of his work for a LONG time and shall continue to be a fan irregardless of what he chooses to do with his career. I'm very sad his recent show was canceled, but there are other ways to see him, fortunately. The haters posting here are also making me sad, sad that THEY are acting sadly. Good Luck to You, Mr. Lopez, and I hope to see you on the greens. Desirio Morales

August 14, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. Araena Dahns

I used to like George but when he started to make fun ofother people becuase of their looks and color, I thought he wasn't a goodman, much more an entertainer. is this the ,an who dumped his wife of many years after she dpnated her kidney so he'd live?This is the man who asl called Kirstey Aalley as a dancing pig at "Dancing With The Stars." George has a long way to go to deal with his congress of bad karma that has just unraveled woth the cancelation of his show. good for him!

August 14, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  16. Carlos Mencia

What a coolo!

August 14, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. Matthew

I saw a taping of his show in May and I enjoyed his show. He made me laugh. He's a great guy and very funny. I won a prize from him. G-LO forever!!

August 13, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Hey

Can't believe all the hatred Lopez is getting. Also, I think a lot of people are confusing this guy with Carlos Mencia. He was far more racist, always talked about Mexicans and wasn't even Mexican himself.

August 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • no name

No one is confusing this guy with Mencia...we all know it's Lopez and he's a no talent mexican, who's talk show should have been cancelled within the first week of airing! surprised it lasted this long considering he only had 3 people watching.

August 14, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  19. Brendan

As much as I hate to admit it. He was fired for being "brown". Obviously racist people HIRE minorities to prove they're not racist, then fire them because they cannot stand "famous" minorities. Racist jerks (even though Lopez is extremely racist, but it's okay since he's black (apparently)).

It clearly had nothing to do with George Lopez being the most unimaginative, unfunny, unpopular comedian in the world. He was only made fun of by about EVERY other comedian, but that was because they were all jealous and regarded him as a modern legend. Truly a sad day in American history...

August 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mariee

This is what happens when you step aside for the white man, I knew it was a bad idea when I heard it. Lopez is not as smart as he thinks he is. Please don't go into politics because it would be a waste of time, look how Arnold left California He needs to get an education and stay away for awhile. His stand up sucks too.

August 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. CriticXtreme

This show should have had a better time slot. Many are either going to bed for work, sleeping off a high, drunk, in depression mode, etc, etc. Nice show and was also visually stunning. But I think when George announced that he was getting a divorce, that changed everything. He divorced the person who saved his life. He should have done that before the show, before the kidney operation. All this brings nothing but bad karma. Think with the right head and this will be a horrible loss.

August 13, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  22. OKcorrall

just not funny enuf, george, that's why you're off:own up to it!

August 13, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. fenwick woorsted

Lopez is a talentless hack. He's a user, a phony and his show was barely watchable. I care about talent, not ethnicity. Hispanic numbers are huge in the US. They didn't like him either - because he turned his back on the Bario a long time ago - and took his wife's kidney in the process. George cares about George. Ugh. Next.

August 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Maria

Adios Jorge ,adios amigo : your show sucks and you too! you are a wananabe and a racist ,you left your wife after she saved your life ,you got big in your mind and divorce her ,now you are what you really are NOTHING but trash ,never watch your shows never will! Your comedy about Latinos was too old and not funny! karma works :bye Jorge!

August 12, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. yelworc

its funny how these b-level 80s comedians hang around long enough and get shows. He was on level with Judi Tenuta and Bobcat Goldthwait, not that funny any of them just obnoxious which gets old fast. They all wanted to be Eddie Murphy or Sam Kinison. They weren't.... His wife thing is entirely a whole much worse issue.

August 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Penelope

it sad me that a Latino man was giving a show and he did not take advantage of the opportunity, instead he started to insult everybody such as Latinos, handicap people, old people, other minorities. Worse yet, he was disloyal to his wife, after she gave him one of her kidney. Good reddens George Lopez.

August 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?!

Have you never heard of stand up comedy before? You know, where you get up on stage and tell jokes about certain topics, often a certain group of people, and others laugh because they know you're not serious? You haven't heard of that? Oh, no wonder you're offended.

August 12, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MR E

He really and truely sucked as a interviewer. But the show has a fun vibe.

August 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ProperVillain

Lopez...always leaning on the race card.
    That part of his "comedy" routine got old decades ago. How pathetic. I guess it's easier to blame your failure on something you can't control rather than take a good hard look at yourself and the facts and figure "Gee, my ratings suck, maybe I'M doing something wrong...."

August 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • You're right!

In fact, his comedy got soooo old that they decided to give him his own show and numerous comedy specials that did well. C'mon, don't project your opinion on the entire general public. Some people obviously find the guy funny

August 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  29. surfsouthbay

yeah it was fast, but not fast enough. that guy was horrible. his show sucked and he isnt funny at all. even the 30 sec commercials are irritating

August 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  30. TJ

How many times in this article is CNN going to mentioned that Warner is a parent company??

August 12, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lyn

I love how the moderator of this site has taken off all of the negative comments since this article posted. Is George Lopez the moderator?

August 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Stacia

Don't let the door hit you in the *ss on your way out. Ciao

August 12, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Superhiro

Yea, I saw his sitcom a few times. Wasn't bad. Wasn't good enough to make me watch it regularly, but it wasn't bad.

August 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. charlie crack

See......I said that yesterday......s.bullock is only reason he had his first sitcom......not too funny anymore...used to be

August 12, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Superhiro

Good luck with your future endeavors Mr. Lopez.

August 12, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Joshua Banks

George Lopez had a great show while it lasted, it seems a lot of the shows today are being canceled. Can't wait to see what he does next.

August 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Acevedo

What will he do next?probably get a liver from his new squeeze.

August 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  37. john bullock

Thanks, George, for making us laugh and sharing the love. Looking forward to seeing you shine on your next venue.

August 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sigh

Leave it to cnn bloggers to not understand what a joke is.

August 12, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. California Girl

George, this is what they call, "KARMA." After what you have done to your wife, this is what you get, and...you much DESERVE it.

August 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • no name

He's divorced because he CHEATED on his wife that gave him her kidney and raised his kids. Funny he didn't make any jokes about that on his lousy show!

August 14, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
    • leonard swain

What goes around comes around george. You are know bob hope.

August 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Gr8ful Dude

His show was not cancelled because he is Latino. It was cancelled because it had all the entertainment value of "2 Girls, 1 Cup"...

August 12, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Mariam

his show was canceled because he made fun of old people, the rest of the Latino population , he stereotyped them, glad he is gone. Maybe the uneducated Mexicans watched his show , the rest turned off a while back.

August 12, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Richard Fore

Leave it to Lopez to make it a racial thing, maybe he got canceled because his show suked.

August 12, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

Couldn't agree more. George Lopez sucks. Not going to miss his ugly face.

August 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  42. portalpunk

TGIFIRSTY!!!!!!!!!!!

August 12, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick Chairez

Im latino but i never watched this show even once his sitcom was funny though, just proves it wasnt because of his race.

August 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobbie

I was once a fan of George lopez, but after seeing his last stand up show on HBO i realized he is the one that is the racist. I have never watched his late night show and am glad he was cancelled. One less racist in the public eye. He cries unfairness and racism tord latinos when he spews just as much tord white people. He is no better than other small minded people that judge by the color of ones skin.

August 14, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Hollyworld

ONLY BECAUSE HE IS LATINO!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIpQlEkxlys&w=640&h=390]

August 14, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ginger315

Thank God this no talent loudmouth's show as canceled. He sure was a legend, in his own mind. Hope Palin is elected, because he said he would leave the country! Byeeeeeeeeeeee George!

August 14, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • melvinslizard

The only original joke he ever told was "Hello, I'm George Lopez." Everything else he stole from other comedians. Not original and Not FUNNY.

August 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |