The Throwback: The Noid is back
August 11th, 2011

The Throwback: The Noid is back

The Noid is celebrating his 25th birthday with a very brief return.

You might recall that the Noid was the villainous mascot of Domino's Pizza during the late 1980s. In commercials, the floppy-eared claymation character in the superhero-esque suit would try to get between hungry people and their pizzas by interfering with delivery.

Domino's slogan back in the day was, "Avoid the Noid!" The idea was that you could, in fact, avoid the Noid - who essentially represented your pizza arriving late, cold, or damaged - by ordering from Domino's rather than a competing pizzeria.

(I know, I just called Domino's a pizzeria - please don't beat me up. Do, however, start a debate about the best pizza you've ever had in the comments section below.)

To commemorate the Noid hitting the quarter-century mark, Domino's has launched "The Noid's Super Pizza Shootout," a retro-style game on Facebook, complete with a throwback 8-bit look. From now until August 15, you can "like" Domino's on Facebook and play for the chance to win a gift card for a free pizza. There will be one winner every 60 seconds.

"Being 25 is pretty cool," the Noid said in a statement released by Domino's. "I believe I can legally rent a car now. While I am old enough that some people consider me 'vintage' - I've still got skills, and proved it by stealing 10,080 free pizza gift cards from Domino's."

What are your favorite food or restaurant mascots of bygone days? Also, where might one get the best pizza in the world - and why?

Post by:
Filed under: The Throwback

1. free pizza

You're really a good webmaster. The web site loading speed is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you've performed a wonderful job on this topic!

June 3, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. jtrdiddy

Sal's in Mamaroneck NY......Pizza Nirvana

August 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kat

Best pizza when I was at PSU was a toss up between Hi-Way Pizza Pubs and Gumby's Pizza (Pokey sticks are way better than Little Caesar's Italian Cheese Bread). Worst pizza in town was Canyon Pizza, but it always had the longest wait on Friday and Saturday nights, since you could get it by the slice at 2:30 AM.

August 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. angryirish

On the corner of 118 and 355 in Germantown MD, there is an Express gas station with a little carry out place called Mangino's on the inside. Great burgers, subs, and fries. Their pizza however is the best in the area and they come with this strange orange dipping sauce that only makes it more amazing!

August 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pastafaria

I made a papier-mache Noid in 7th grade art class, 1986, got an A+. Unfortunately, its been mostly downhill from there.

August 12, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tina

Noble Romans was my all time favorite pizza but I don't think they exist anymore. They played old black and white movies while you dined in. It's a great memory from when I was a kid.

August 12, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mark Larezzo

Best pizza in the world is in NYC, John's on Bleeker.

August 12, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Daniel

Best pizza I ever had was a small franchise in SoCal called "Our Pizza Place". Hands down the best pizza I ever had in my life, still to this day. For good measure, I will also say the best frozen pizza ever made was Papa Primo. It didn't have the technology of today's rising crusts and all, but the sauce and cheeses just were out of this world and held up very good in frozen transport.

August 12, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. saopaco

The Flying Pie in Boise! They even deliver growlers of beer! Take that, fast food pizza joints!

August 12, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. erich2112x

Dominos=cardboard.

August 12, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. pizza capital of the world

old forge, pa is the pizza capital of the world!

August 12, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Shannana

Firenze's in Sarnia, Ontario
    Cappozzi's in Marietta, GA

August 12, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dominingos

Favorite pizza places are subjective, there are so many small hometown places that everyone will say is their favorite that not everyone has exposure to. But I can say with certainty that Dominoes is not the best. When 5 drunk adults can't even finish a large pizza and fist fight over the cheesy sticks, the pizza is rank. The only people I know that like Dominoes are people that don't have any other options. I'd prefer making my own pizza over eating their slop.

August 12, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. theAntiELVIS

My sister makes the best pizza on the planet – and fortunately she lives next door.

August 12, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ross

L&B in Brooklyn, by far the best

August 12, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  16. Sarge

Here in Minnesota, best pizza in my opinion is Cosetta's in downtown St. Paul. Then there's Rocky Rococo, and Broadway Pizza. Cronies' Pizza in Fridley has the best sausage and mushroom pizza, which is my favorite. Chanticlear Pizza is also good, and then you have your Little Caesars, Dominos, Pizza Huts...etc...

August 12, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  17. Good Call

So these commercials they have where the room falls apart and they're in a tomato field... Okay so they use 'real' tomatoes. Question is, what the hell do thy do to the tomato between the field and the pizza that makes it so nasty?

August 12, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  18. Andrew

Pisanello's Pizza! Mt. Pleasant, MI.

August 12, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  19. still shaking

Missing me some Shakeys pizza. Loved it! As for chains? Pizza Hut, in the 80s, before their dough was frozen, before their cheese was frozen, before their sauce was made from a plastic bag, before veggies came in pre sliced.... Was good chit.... Now... They all blow. As for a great regional place? Best imho is a stuffed pie from Manga's in Austin Texas

August 12, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  20. jesse

PSSHHHHHHHHH! Dominoes still sucks even after they put in an effort to up their product quality. The garlic sauce for the crust is usually slathered on so heavy that the thing is rendered uneatable. Ever try ordering with no sauce? Forget that... ordered it that way since and it's still heavy on the sauce. They simply don't understand moderation.

August 12, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  21. JJ

Ancona Pizza in Valley Stream, NY or Grimaldis in Brooklyn's DUMBO...also Joe's in NYC.

August 12, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  22. itsamemario

zacharys pizzaria in berkley makes a good pie. for chains id go with roundtable and dominos..

August 12, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  23. Common tater

Dominoes has done a lot to improve their image and pizza on TV but its all a scam. I ordered a Dominoes pizza the other day and it was still as terrible as ever. Infact I think it might even be worse now. They should try spending the money smaller pizza shops do for quality ingredients instead of the mass produced inexpensive garbage ingredients that are full of preservatives they use to make awful pizza for cheap money so the executives can get rich.

August 12, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  24. Brian

All chain pizza is disgusting. You'd do better to throw away the pie and eat the box. Support your local, independant pizza parlors. You know it's fresh, at least. The best pizza on the East Coast is from Delorenzo's in Trenton, NJ.

August 12, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  25. Dgkitchens

Correction *Homeslice.

August 12, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. Dgkitchens

Best pizza in Texas is Hones ice in Austin. They do their best to make the customers happy and their product is second to none. Every year they close and take their employees (bus boys to managers) to New York for a week to relax and learn from the pizzerias in NYC. Great management and AMAZING FOOD!!!

August 12, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Elle F

I think spell check just played you. For everyone else, I think they mean Homeslice.

I'd also add East Side Pies and Little Deli to the Austin Pizza Roundup.

August 12, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  27. TheWordMaster

Best pizza in the DMV? (That's d.c.,maryland,and Va) It has to go to Margarita's in GAINESVILLE, VA!

August 12, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  28. C

I live in Manhattan, so I pretty much win by default. Best pizza in the world. Dominos, Papa Johns, etc SUCK.

August 12, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  29. Maverick

For thick crust, Panters's (may they rest in peace) was tops, then Casey's (yes, the gas station).

August 12, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  30. Maverick

The best pizza in the world? Well, without question, without doubt, without equal, without anything else even remotely close it would have to be Pogolinos. THIS is the official pizza of heaven. If I were on death row, for my last meal it would be from them. President Obama, you haven't HAD pizza until you had theirs, and everything else pales in comparison. I defy anyone who disagrees to try it once, then repeat you know better. Trust me, you won't.

Word.

August 12, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  31. Wil

I hope they bring back Bad Andy, too.

August 12, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  32. Tim

NYPD in Phoenix is very good. It's just like actually bring in New York.

August 12, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  33. jetsfaninstl2010

Racinelllis Pizza in St. Louis is the best NY style pizza outside of NYC.

August 12, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  34. Peace

@80s4evr, We still have 1 Village Inn, best garlic bread ever!

August 12, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  35. Badonkadonk!

Big pizza chains suck. Locally owned and operated pizzarias are usually better than the big chains like Pizza Hut, Little Ceasar's, East of Chicago, Domino's, Papa John's, etc. Of course the best pizza you can get is in New York City.

August 12, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • the guy on the couch

New york? What are you, someone who hates toppings, sauce, cheese and flavor. I mean seriously have you been brainwashed when you were little, or are just oblivious to Chicago style pizza. Everyone talks about new york pizza (rays, famous rays, original rays) I have had them all. And yes all pizza is decent, when your there. But to say new york is the best, tells me that you just don't know any better. Stop listening to the bs, head to Chicago and get some real pizza. Its the easiest to find ask the flight attendent on the way, or the cabbie that will take you. When you do your whole idea of the pizza pie will seem old and stale.

August 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Michael

Nothing beats Antonios Pizza in Amherst, MA. Pizza by the slice. Mmmmm.... Just the idea of a slice of potato and bacon makes me hungry for it, even at 7 in the morning!

August 12, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  37. gibbysback

please, oh please bring back the "sponge monkeys" from Quiznos.

August 12, 2011 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  38. Nfld'r @ home

There is a place in Stephenville Newfoundland called Domino Pizza (not Domino's) – been there for over 40 years. Has a cult-like following from locals (me being one of them). The only place I've been to yet that you can get baloney as a topping. I remember it as being really good – and not like most other Pizza's. I think it's still open and some who have left their home town, actually take frozen pizzas away with them when they are home to visit – one of the options that this place offers.

August 12, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  39. 80's4evr

Anyone remember Alex the Strohs dog. He would serve his owner (and guests) beer. Going way back how about Chum gum. Best pizza I every had? Mom and pop place named Village Inn.

August 12, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  40. rhoneyrhone

All the super powers o pizza died in the 90's. Papa Johns was the only good pizza in Florida but when they got their name on a college bowl game, they suddenly turned to crap. These days you gotta go with the small places........I think they are in rehab with lohan but a frogs reunion would be awesome!

August 12, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  41. humblepuck

I would murder a maternity ward full of babies for a Papa John's cheese pizza. Explanation: I live in Australia and am an ex-pat American. We do *not* get good pizza here. When I visit my family in the USA in October, PJs is the first on the list.

August 12, 2011 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
    • The One Who Knows

First off, stupid trade-off ("I would murder a maternity ward full of babies for a Papa John's cheese pizza"). Good thing you're an ex-pat...your kind does not deserve to be in this country.

For reality, Papa John's is disgusting because they use a sweetener excessively in their crust and sauce...not to mention that dam**d "papa's in da house" campaign is the most rediculous non-catch phrase to date. I'd rather eat kangaroo dung than their pizza, so since you're an aussie now I'll leave that to you.

Ya hoid?

August 12, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • hearya

I know what you mean. My husband and I lived in Australia for a while, and the first thing we did when we got to LAX was go to Sbarro. I know that's not great pizza, but on that day, after not having anything but crap pizza for forever, it was the best pizza I had ever had.

August 12, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  42. Van

The Raven at Deep Cove

August 12, 2011 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  43. modrnman

Where's the beef?

August 12, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  44. jenny

Spuds Mackenzie. I was too young to drink the beer but he was cute in the bandanna.

August 12, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  45. futrman

Best slice in Detroit is Pizza Papolis (sp?)

August 12, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  46. futrman

Dominos invented cardboard pizza....little caesers copied...Dominos now has better pizza...but its hard to pass up a 5 dollla holla hot and ready.

August 12, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • OvernOut

Both chains started in Detroit, but Little Caesar's was first. I grew up in Lansing, we had Little Caesar's franchises open by the late 1960s, Domino's did not show up until the early 1970s. But, yeah, cardboard. Everybody here goes for Buddy's, our house goes for Highland House pizza over any chains.

August 12, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Dominoid

Domino's started in Ypsilanti, and is based out of Ann Arbor.

August 12, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  47. TheGoodDoctor

A Little place in Urbandale Iowa called Felix and Oscars....Chicago style pizza that would make NY pizza lovers weep.

August 12, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  48. E-2 Doctor

Then the Lil Caesar guy started saying delivery delivery. Everytime my wife would order pizza, I'd be in the background doing that! LOL!

August 12, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  49. SuT

Too bad all the large pizza chains are garbage now. Sacrificing quality for profit..

August 12, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  50. LizardKing

Roundtable rules... Me likey

August 12, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  51. leecherius

Giordano's....Chicago...now that is a pizza pie!!!

August 12, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  52. kelley

Best pizza in New Orleans...Mark Twain's on Old Metairie Rd! Close second is Pie on Vets.

August 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  53. hungry howies

Hungry howies had best butter cheese crust. The guy had a pizza wrapped around his head–pretty sweet

August 11, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  54. matt

Town Pizza in Ocean Beach Fire Island! I have traveled all over the world, and still can not find a better slice! Angelo it rocks!!

August 11, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Peace

Last summer in Mackinaw City, my daughters & I ate at a cool place called (I think) Mama Mia's. Awesome pizza! While you wait, there's a museum (free) w/all things from building Mackinac bridge! In another room there is a movie that plays over & over about the building of the bridge. This place was really cool. Dang! Now I'm hungry for their pizza!

August 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  56. OldSkool

Spuds MacKenzie was the best late 80's mascot IMO. Too bad he lasted such a short stint. Stupid bored housewives and thier morals...

August 11, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  57. charlie crack

Pizza sounds so d@mn good right now.........

August 11, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  58. charlie crack

@mad......did you say crazybread.........ahhhhhhhhhh man.........stop it.......that makes me hungry........be safe, be good wiz..........

August 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  59. pizzadude

Roundtable folded a few months ago, good pizza/bad accountants :)

August 11, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. GldnRooster

There is a "convenience" store just down the street from me that serves good pizza. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

August 11, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Eyego

Second that jamesky... It's been a while since I've had a round table pizza, just the mear mention has me salivating. Looking back, they are the stupidest commercials, but anyone remember ol bud mckenzy?

August 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shaun

....SPUD MACKENZIE...BUT CLOSE..THAT WAS ONE COOL DOG. WHAT ABOUT THE HAM'S BEER ANIMALS OR CAMEL JOE? NO WONDER I DRINK AND SMOKE! I BLAME THEM! HA.

August 12, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • keith123

Closer, but it was Spuds McKenzie.

August 12, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  62. Chris

Domino's has really stepped up their game. They completely changed the way they make their pizzas. They're really good now. BTW, I love the Noid! I remember playing the video game on the original Nintendo as well. Good times!

August 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • kake79

I'm probably the oddball, but I do not like their "new" pizza at all.

August 12, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  63. jamesky

Noid was great. Moved from Cali to Ky and the mention of round table pizza made my mouth water. Its been 21 years.

August 11, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  64. toddgeist

Shakeys pizza was so yummy as a kid! And what about Orange Julius at the mall?? Best pizzeria was Leaning Tower Pizza in Melbourne Florida!! Thats good pie!!!

August 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jen

My fav mascot from long ago.....The Bud Man

August 11, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Randy

Impossible to get decent pizza from a chain – Round Table comes close, but the best I've ever had was from Porky's Pizza, a neighborhood joint in San Leandro CA. Boy do I miss that sausage!

August 11, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Juici

Yes to Godfather's

August 11, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  68. KeithC

My favorite chain restaurant pizza from the '80s is Godfather's. Still around but too far to drive considering the quality mom and pop places around. Feeling kind of nostalgic for all the old commercials.

August 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  69. taylor

This one time.... At band camp.... there was a giant noid.... And it got eaten by a bear!!!!

August 11, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  70. itsmeeeee!

How about Savoy's??? I love their pizza sooo much! i have no idea who the noid is, but he sounds great. hahahaha

August 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. jillmarie

Yes, bring back the Noid! Those commercials, though I was so young I barely remember them, were funnier than what's out there today.

August 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Steveo

Went to play the Noid game on Facebook, but oop – it wants to have access to all your personal information and that of your friends before you can play. Giving away a few free pizzas pales in cost to the benefit of Domino's having everything about you on file. Hype FAIL.

August 11, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  73. The Måd Råp3r

The Noid was cool but yeah Superhiro, Little Caesar was the best. I miss those commercials, and the crazy bread.

August 11, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coble

Little Ceasers still exists, but their quality is terrible. it's like government cheese on cardboard.

August 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

Little Caesar's always had government cheese on cardboard; we were just too young to notice.

August 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Superhiro

What about that Little Ceasar's guy? "Pizza Pizza"

August 11, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • amused123

Pan! Pan!

August 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

The Noid was way better then the Little Cesars guy, and the pizza is way way better, especially after they made the changes. Little Cesars has better breadsticks, if they haven't been sitting for hours under their heat lights. Hot, fresh made Domino's is the BEST. And the tracker thing when you order online is awesome. My kids love knowing the name of the driver when they get here.

August 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Disgusted

@Amy: you're kidding right? Domino's new crust is VILE.

August 12, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Imabeliever

Get Dominos. Get the standard hand-tossed crust. Dear god, it's injected with nicotine and heroin it's so good.

August 12, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Drowlord

Domino's Pizza tracker is awesome. It's so cool when my girls ask me if the pizza's here yet, and I say "well, let's see where it is..." and then I can tell them what's going on, who is doing it, and much longer the delivery will take. I consider it one of the best internet innovations in recent years.

August 12, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  75. Evil Monkey

To quote Mayor Adam West "Looks Like The Noid Should've Avoided Me"

August 11, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  76. portalpunk

the noid is showing everyone who's FIRSTY!!!!!!!

August 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  77. ritzkiller

How very mature of you, congratulations on being able to post that crap anonymously.

August 11, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  78. OldSkool

Who are you referring to?

August 12, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |