Roseanne Barr set to star in new sitcom
August 11th, 2011

Roseanne Barr set to star in new sitcom

After spending much of the last decade out of Hollywood, Roseanne Barr returned to TV this summer with her Lifetime docu-series “Roseanne’s Nuts.”

But the comedian (and macadamia nut farmer) may be in full-blown comeback mode, because according to The Hollywood Reporter, she’s snagged herself a new sitcom.

The Emmy-winning actress and her longtime boyfriend Johnny Argent reportedly have a new project in the works at 20th Century Fox Television.

“Downwardly Mobile” is said to be similar to Barr's hit 1990s sitcom “Roseanne.” The show - starring Roseanne, of course - will revolve around a close-knit working class family dealing with life in a depressed economy.

Since “Roseanne” ended in 1997, Barr, 58, has managed to keep fans engaged. The best-selling author tweets and blogs, and last week even declared her candidacy for president on “The Tonight Show.”

1. Beautiful Vixen

@Mike: Nothing to say huh? That's figures..all talk and no action. I said you were boring and I stand by that. Bye azzh0l3

August 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Beautiful Vixen

@Mike: Awww look at you just wanting to come over just to stab me in my eye. Babe, I was actually thinking of a really big knife when I wrote that, but, I also said I would stab MYSELF. It's so nice of you to want to do the honors (smirk). Sweetheart, if you were to come over, there is only one think you would want to stab me with (wink), and that won't be anything you listed. I'm guessing you are the same person that so loves me on here. Geezes you shouldn't take so long to reach out to me. I really do look forward hearing from. G-d only knows I write enough stuff to annoy you just to bring you out. Well have a nice day now. Be careful crossing the street. I would hate for you to get hit by a bus :)

August 12, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Geoffrey Hamilton

Why

August 12, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Library Lil

I loved the early years of " Roseanne". It showed how real people lived and struggled to keep up. She should have a goldmine of material in this day and age. No one in Washington seems to understand how most of America lives.

August 12, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. KC

I do not watch much television and I hate reality TV shows, but I happened to come across Roseanne's Nuts and I love it! Roseanne just has a certain charisma that is unmatched. I hope her new sitcom does well

August 12, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. carolae

When her show "Roseanne" was a big hit, it was funny even though she was fat and obnoxious. However, over 20 years later, I don't think much has changed and we don't need another so-called comedy show starring "has beens" who want to be "wannabees" once again. Good comedy was done by Lucille Ball, Carol Burnett, Betty White and Bea Arthur to name a few. Roseanne is out of her league and will never attain the popularity and stardom that these past greats have. However, I must say she is tenacious and I wish her a lot of luck. I would bet anything that the show will only last 1 season though.

August 12, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kurt

Umm sorry but no thanks. Not a fan of hers.

August 12, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. LRoy

I thought her reality show WAS her new sitcom. Now we know her interest (genuine or not) for president was just a rouse.

August 12, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

Can't wait for her new show. I love it when she p1sses people off.

August 12, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Stinky McMillan

I didnt watch the Fat Sow on the first sitcom and certainly wont be watching the Old Fat Sow on the new sitcom.

August 12, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. wildbill1111

SHE WENT FROM BEING A WHITE-TRASH FAT PIG TO BEING A WHITE-TRASH THIN PIG. ALL HER HUMOR WAS BASED ON BASHING OTHERS.

August 12, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. alecia

My mistake. Comment directed @ Maneesh is for Hameesh.

August 12, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Rolyat

I would love to see her come back in a weekly series. She was one of the first woman to truly demand and get what men were being paid at the time. And she deserved every bit of it. She was the force behind the show and she made it a hit. In my opinion, winning the lottery is what ruined her show. Because when you win millions and millions in the lottery like the Connor's did in the Roseanne show, who remains in a $100,000 house and put's in a new kitchen and buys new furniture ? That was just ridiculous. People related to the show because the Connor's were basically average americans barely squeaking by.

August 12, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. alecia

Maneesh I feel sorry for that lone real woman in India! She must be awfully busy! Oh yeah, when you live a blue collar life with 3 kids and a mortgage and are within 100.00 of going completely under and are a woman with 2 jobs then you can call American women lazy. Til then no uterus no opinion!

August 12, 2011 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. Mama cry

She is fugly

August 12, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. samantha

i thought she was set to be in the new chelsea handler sitcom.b..busy lady

August 12, 2011 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dracorat

Oh say can we see... How easily we forget...

August 12, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  18. lick

I like curry

August 12, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • LRoy

Too bad Tim Curry didn't become a semi-regular (LOVE his accent). My aunt's married name in the end was Curry.

August 12, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  19. Bookenz

Not really interested in seeing her in a new show.

August 12, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  20. Beautiful Vixen

@Peace, Charlie, Fernace.. My bad but I never liked her..lol

August 12, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  21. robbio

The guy who played Mark isn't dead.. Doesn't he have a role on Big Bang Theory? Also, most 90s sitcoms are gems... They will always be good because of the nostalgia from enjoying them during their prime... Just my 2 cents...

August 12, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Achilles

Robbio. You're thinking "David". The actor who played his brother, "Mark", was named "Glenn Quinn" and is sadly dead.

August 12, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. Beautiful Vixen

I won't be watching. I can't stand the woman. I would rather stab myself in the eye.

August 12, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

If you could supply an address and specify your preference (knife, ice pick, screwdriver) your order will be filled within one business day.

August 12, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • LRoy

Mike-no need. I'll do my own stabbing. Even though I love Betty White and Val, I don't watch Hot in Cincinnati. But when MTM and One Day at a Time is available, I DO watch those.
      As for the new show, if it's as liberal as her old show, then I'll watch another.

August 12, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  23. joni

I think Roseanne is rude and disgusting. Why does she have to be so gross. Remember when she sang the National Anthem, at that ballgame and grabbed her crotch? yuck.
    I don't see how she has fans who watch her....

August 11, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadWomanUSA

Oh COMON. Sure her humor may not have touched everyone but it touched most! It was raw, it made you think and sometimes it hit so close to home you thought she was your Mother! She says what she thinks and she is willing to put herself out there. Her perspective on life is brutally honest but dead on. I don't care if you don't like her; I love her!!

August 12, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  24. caff484

Roseanne's humor was so relatable and hilarious. I actually imagined her as my mother while growing up watching the show in the 90's. Its one of the best shows on TV that was ever made. Thank God Netflix is able to stream every season. True gem of a sitcom. I've never watched an episode and not busted out laughing!

August 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mandelyn

This should be awesome. Plenty of room for pot-shots at contemporary life as it is in the US, and Roseanne won't waste a moment. I sincerely hope this project takes off and does as well as "Roseanne." Good call by 20thCFT.

August 11, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Shut Up

I think the show would be funny since she is so funny!!!

August 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. charlie crack

Hey @ms.fernace.......hope all is well with you ma'am........I love Roseanne's show now.....Nuts or whatever it is....very funny.........be safe, be good......... :)

August 11, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. erich2112x

Roseanne show was like the Cosby show. The jokes were nauseatingly corny and the story lines were so sugar coated and plastic that you had to watch just to see how far they could take it.

August 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

Well they were situation-comedies. It's not like they were Hill Street Blues or anything. Most people want to laugh at the end of a hard working day and there aren't very many shows on tv anymore that the whole family can watch. Get a grip man.

August 11, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mandelyn

What "sugar-coated"? You mean when the bills didn't get paid, when the cycle business went under, when they couldn't get a loan for the restaurant, when the eldest daughter was on birth control, the neurotic sister (shout-out to the always-excellent Laurie Metcalf), when the plastics factory shut down, the depressed middle child? Yeah – so fake and phony. Dimwit.

August 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Hameesh

She is perfect example of american womanhood. Fat and lazy. In India we have real woman.

August 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

She's anything but lazy! She's worked very hard for her success! Not so fat now, either. She looks great! And the great thing about being in the USA as opposed to India, is that we can marry who we want and we don't depend on astrology to make our choices for us.

August 11, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • uh huh

Who smell like curry.

August 12, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Nurse1970

And you are a perfect example of Indian men, arogant & stupid....and go put on your man dress & sandals. You wouldn't know a real woman if she hit you in the face. We are not subserviant to curry smelling idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 12, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  30. John Goodman

John Goodman was–by far–the best part of the old Roseanne show. Rosie's ego got in the way and ruined later seasons. I wish she'd just stick to stand-up. She was funniest when alone, in front of the microphone, on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show.

August 11, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. David deNomme

Who is Roseanne Barr?

August 11, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mandelyn

Do tell us what it's been like living in a drain pipe for the last 25 years.

August 11, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  32. fernace

She's not going to have time for a new show! Her Green Tea Party will sweep the election, we'll have a new government & Roseann for President! That'll be so f-ckin' cool!!

August 11, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  33. vegas20121

Love ROSEANNE like my luggage....she is sooo funny......still watch her re-runs sometimes.....between Y & R.....she is in the right business "NUTS".......good for her.....love her and wish her well.....

August 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Barneyjake

Oh yeah, I'd watch it. She's a funny lady and we REALLY need that now.

August 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. big john

I would so hit that.

August 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  36. sarah S

thats awesome. i have the whole Roseanne series on dvd. this new sitcom should be good. i'll be watching.

August 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  37. AC

I loved the early seasons of Roseanne, before she got her hubby into the show and basically decided she knew better than the rest of the production team and writers where to go with it. The last couple of seasons were appallingly bad, and honestly, I never understood why Goodman put up with the way his character was destroyed on the bonfire of Roseanne's vanity.

Good luck to her. Maybe she's learned some humility, because there was a time when she starred in one of the most convincingly working class-based sitcoms since All In The Family.

August 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teri

True. The post-lottery years were really crappy and not believable. But, the earlier seasons were right on.

August 11, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • clairevoyente

Humility??????? Bwwwaaaaaaa haaaaaaa. Have you SEEN her new Nuts show??????

August 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juliet

Ugh, a new show. I can never erase from my memory the fact that she managed to make the worst ending to a series EVER.

August 12, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  38. natalie

Currently, rewatching Roseanne on netflix....if her new show is anything like it, I will definitely be watching..I would also vote her for president! lol

August 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • librababy

I get so jealous when I hear about awesome stuff people in the US get on Netflix. Here in Canada we don't have nearly the same selection :(

August 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  39. darlene hargrove

I love love her new show, such a good energy, an wow the setting, she rocks!

August 11, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • thatsforsure

Me too!!!! Love her reality show. I love watching reruns of Roseanne every night on TV Land. I'm sure to watch her new show also. She just has good Kharma :)

August 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • clairevoyente

I HATE her new show. All they do is swear. It's stupid and gets old real quick. I loved the Roseanne show, though.

August 11, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Peace

I don't think she can top her old show, Roseanne. If she can great, I loved watching the "Conners". Not gonna hold my breath, though. Oh yeah, FIRSTY! LOL

August 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teri

I hate that they killed Dan off at the end. I would love to see a Connor family reunion show, but between killing off Dan, a rumor that DJ joined the Army and was killed, and then the guy that played Mark actually dying...........it will never happen. I can watch the reruns over and over again and never get tired of them. Crazy that it was done over 20 years ago and deals with the same issues we are still dealing with.

August 11, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • RoseanneRules

I watch Roseanne every night in reruns. Last night the episode was so funny, I could not stop laughing. When DJ becomes a sarcastic teenager – those were the best!!!!! That show had the best cast – all of the actors were very funny. Miss shows like that!

August 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • wmgarci

I am quite sure she can and Will out-do herself this second time around. Roseanne is one of those rare to find actresses that come around every fifty years or so. And God Knows we can use the laughter in these times. Good Luck Rosie.

August 11, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • LRoy

I liked it the first few years, but the later shows were just too liberal for me. I think it started when Leon "came out of the closet".

August 12, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |