'Potter' Director: We need more books!
August 11th, 2011

'Potter' Director: We need more books!

Director and producer Chris Columbus, who worked on the first three “Harry Potter” films, isn’t quite ready to part with the series.

“It's hard to imagine it ending,” he told CNN at “The Help” premiere on Tuesday. (Columbus produced the Emma Stone-starring film, which opened in theaters Wednesday.)

“When I saw the final coda in the last film,” he said, referring to “Deathly Hallows'” final scene, “seeing Harry at like, age 34, it was a little shocking because I said to myself … ‘What happened between the ages of 19 and 30?’”

But before Columbus plans Potter’s future big-screen endeavors, “There's a whole other slew of books that I think could be written if J.K. Rowling can be persuaded," he says. "So we'll see what happens. I hope we see those books.”

Do you think Rowling should continue writing about Harry, Hermione and Ron?

Filed under: Harry Potter

1. bob

Actually, in the epilogue of book 7, harry is 36 years old. not 34. at the end, harry is 17 yrs old. at 19 years later to it and you end up with 36 not 34. im a huge harry potter freak so i know and pay attention to these things. her's a potter question: whats cornelius fudge's middle name?
    A: Oswald. Don't believe me, go to book 5 and on the bottom of page 138 you'll find his middl ename when they say it in harry's hearing

October 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shootingstar

I think Ms Rowling should consider about writing some more 'Potter' books – It would be fun!

August 16, 2011 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Julie Peak

I definately think Ms. Rowling should consider giving us some more adventures with Harry, Hermione and Ron. I for one would be more than excited!!

August 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sChiZoO14

I think Harry's story should end but I do hope that JK writes something again about the wizarding world. Maybe about the Marauders or even Dumbledore. A part of me still thinks that there's more stories to tell when it comes to the wizarding community. :)))

August 14, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin Kilpatrick

Harry Potter will always rule, but Conor Jameson is the next prince of the middle grade/YA genre. Go Conor and the Crossworlds!

August 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nicky

Absoluteley she should write more hp stories

August 12, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. S

August 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. aprilslife

they made a mistake Chris Columbus didn't direct the 3 Potter just the 1st 2

August 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nuno blizness

get 2 free amc movie tickets or many other great items free!!!

August 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scott Pilgrim defeated The World

It's sad that the series ended, but such is life. All good things must come to an end.

August 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JRose

I would like to see her go back and write the James, Lilly, Sirius, Snape, Bellatrix, Mallfoy Sr. story. Make Lilly the main character (a muggle entering the wizarding world just like Harry) and show her school years, the rise of Dumbledore's Army & Voldemort's Death Eaters the first war through her eyes. Experience the wizarding world through her eyes, from a female perspective. How did James get her to go on her first date? Did she ever go out with Snape? How did Voldemort & Dumbledore recruit their supporters? What was the first war like? End it with Voldemort's attack on Godrick's Hollow and Lily choosing to die for Harry. That's the 7-book series I'd like to read. That's what I'd beg JK Rowling to write if I had five minutes with her.

August 11, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cookie

Personally i'm interested in a prequal series. Marauders anyone? I'd like that all gone through please. How's abouts JK writes a few books for the first time old Moldymort was around?

August 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lindsay

The series was great, and it'll always be one of my favorites, but some things have to end! The point of the epilogue was to fill that gap. Between 19 and 30, they obviously found jobs, got married, and had families. That's all that matters. Jo was kind enough to give the fans some level of closure, rather than leave us with the end of the battle and then nothing as far as what happened to everyone! Leave it to the movie director to want to continue it! He just wants more cash! The last thing any fan wants is for the Potter series to turn into The Land Before Time children's film series!

August 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kylie

J.K. needs to right about The Next Generation! You know, about Albus Potter and Teddy Lupin! You know!

August 11, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jodi

I do not want more Harry Potter books; I would really enjoy it if she wrote a prequel though. I'd love to meet all the people who later gave their names to the houses in Hogwarts.

August 11, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Mark

Knowing what happened to Harry, Hermione, Ron and the rest after the final battle would be great. We get to know Harry from the beginning but never get to know what he ends up doing with his life. Did he graduate from Hogwarts? Did he become an Auror? What DID he (or Hermione and Ron) do for a living? All we know is that Harry married Ginny, that Ron and Hermione get married, and that they all have kids who - 19 years later - go to Hogwarts. Hogwarts was apparently rebuilt...is Professor McGonagall now Headmaster? The only person we really know what happened to is Neville, who becomes a professor at Hogwarts. Wouldn't it be great if Mr. Weasley was made Minister of Magic? After reading all of the stories and going through it all from the beginning, not knowing what ultimately happens is quite the let down. Love the series. Love the characters. NEED MORE!

August 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • DamianKnight

Rowling discussed this a few times in the interviews. Harry and Ron became Aurors. Ginny played Quidditch professonally. Hermoine went into Magical Law reading contracts. Luna became like the wizarding-world equivalent of an ecologist. Neville became a professor at Hogwarts. Kingsley Shacklebolt became Minister of Magic. McGonogall became Headmaster of Hogwarts.

August 11, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bunny

if your not a fan SHUT UP, your uninformed and no one cares what you think, this woman kept my whole family reading for years, we loved it and whether she writes more harry potter or not she should definately keep writing. we have read the books twice and learned something new each time.

August 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ron B

Every story has an ending........ The biggest problem I see with american TV and movies is they keep makeing re-makes until they become so bad the lose money. There is truth in the saying "quit while you're on top"

August 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Adam

I hope J.K. Rowling doesn't even consider Mr. Colombus' idea for a minute. She wrapped up the whole series so nicely there's absolutely no need to go back on it. Wanna know what he did in those intervening 15 years? Lived a happy, normal, wizard life (jealous of Ron that he married Emma Watson)

August 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Andray3OOO

Aaaayyy! GEEKS i'm surrounded by GEEKS!

August 11, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  21. joey

'Nuff of these kids weilding twigs around sh!t is ridiculous! This is like a an absurd fantasy, longwinded and utterly stupid...

August 11, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mel

I think they should find some other fantastic fantasy fiction - maybe with a strong female lead - like the Green Rider series. Mix it up and bring it on!

August 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JJG

I think certain stories could be told...because who really believes that Voldemort was killed and poof it was all better by morning?? the last scene was a bit jarring for me as well. I needed to go back to the castle to make sure it was ok again...just the kids getting on the train wasn't enough...for me at least. back to the main point though. i'd like to see just a few more stories about them and maybe some weddings :) plus follow the next generation on their magical adventures too...but that's just my opinion.

August 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jose Cuaron

Jose Cuaron directed the third HP film, not Chris Columbus.

August 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Riding your mothers doookie-hole

In other words he is saying "As long as Im getting paid nicely lets produce more garbage."

August 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Peace

Let Harry RIP, but, she could write new adventures for Harry's kids & their cousins! ;)

August 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. josie

I think she did an excellent job with the all the Harry Potter books. But all good things must end. Let Harry RIP and lets start something else that just as great!

August 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |