'The Smurfs' lands a sequel
August 10th, 2011

'The Smurfs' lands a sequel

A storyline in Hollywood is rarely over until the money stops coming in, even when that story features the 3-D renderings of '80s cartoon faves, "The Smurfs."

According to Deadline, Sony is planning a sequel to their summer "Smurfs" release and is lining it up to open on August 2, 2013.

If you're scratching your head with wonder, it sounds like execs didn't have to think twice about the move: "The Smurfs" has taken in $135 million globally thus far, and held its own against "Cowboys & Aliens" when it opened in late July.

We do know at least one mom who liked "The Smurfs," judging from her weekend review - would you be interested in seeing a sequel?

Filed under: movies

1. MoneySavingEnthusiast

Sure! Alvin and the Chipmunks did and that was adorable!! just say yes to the smurfs!

@MSEnthusiast

August 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. erich2112x

All this happens in a world not known by me. Have no idea what Smurfs are, just heard of them, and although I cannot read the article being still too satisfied with the lack of personal Smurf knowledge, I'm still here to lend support for what I'm sure is much more than something I pick up off the floor and toss into a hamper on my way to the kitchen in the morning.

August 11, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. RunCrissieRun

it was awful. No way I'd see a sequel.

August 11, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. morgans

Breaking news.....this movie is for 5 year olds......not grumpy old people who comment on CNN all day.

August 11, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. ChrisC

I hate this trend of hollywood raping my childhood, smurfs, transformers, yogi, garfield. What's next, a goonies remake? Please god no.

August 11, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. JackTRipper

Dear God, why do you hate humanity?

August 11, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. NeverBlue

The HORROR...the HORROR!

August 11, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. presidential hopeful

could you at least next time keep them in smurfville?

August 11, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. pilzer

Actually it is an artist who referred to himself as Peyo (spelling?) As to Belgians isn't Dr Evil of the Austin Powers series Belgian? Need I say more? Let's pull troops from Afghanistan and pursue a more decent cause and attack hollywood or Belguim!

August 11, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. pilzer

/Smurfs? Okay so why not a Captain Kangaroo movie? Or a Mister Rogers movie. Dumb down America and do it right why don't you? Catch me in the theater? only with a match and gasoline. Hollywood come up with something new and maybe then you will pocket my hard earned cash. Until then the "smurfs" can put my testicles into their cheeks and suck my sport spheres!

August 11, 2011 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. D.Smithee

Why badmouth the film? It's not aimed at discerning filmgoers–it's aimed at parents with kids who want to have some fun. My niece and her grandmother loved it!

August 11, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Howdy Doody

Of course that stupid cartoon whose toys were created before the story would be up for a sequel. Americans are drooling morons.

August 11, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. markishere

Another pathetic ripoff of an old franchise getting a sequel, who knew?

August 10, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Snarky

This movie's success is more proof of devolution.

August 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Amy

I hope that Sophia Vergara is in the sequel. I love her!!!!

August 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Arglebargle

No one ever claimed Hollywood or Americans were very smart.

August 10, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SmurfLover

They have to do a sequel. Gargamel is still stuck in New York!!!

August 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. David C

Guess that Blue Pride March paid off after all, huh?

August 10, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Morph the Cat

No smurfing way! Smurfin 2: Electric Boogaloo

August 10, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lin

Maybe the end of the world really IS approaching...

August 10, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MS

No more mothersmurfing sequels

August 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. boniter

FUNNY HOW THEre is no blcak smurves or mexican ones huh?way 2 go hollywod 4 pushing ur rasist agenta down our kids throwts once again jews.

August 10, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • nugget

Grouchy smurf was Mexican (George Lopez). There was definitely a black guy voicing one of the other Smurfs at the beginning but I don't think he made it into the main plotline.

August 11, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  23. mouse

You PEOPLE do realize it was a kids movie, right?????

August 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mouse

P.S....my 13 and 10 y/o nieces really enjoyed the movie and that is all that matters to me!

August 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Christy

It could have been worse...worth the $3 matinee price I paid for my son and I.

August 10, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mouse

I just took my two nieces to see the Smurfs movie but before we went I called my son who said "I'm sorry you have to sit thru that, I heard it was horrible". So I answered that I needed a nap anyway. Well, it isn't rocket science by any stretch but I didn't nap and actually enjoyed it as much as you can a Smurf movie. I'm a fan of Neil anyway and it was certainly better than "horrible".

August 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wait, What?

Do you mean, "Doctor Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog"? As in, the live action Smurfs movie was better than Neil Patrick Harris in "Doctor Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog"? Because if that is what you mean, I feel really sorry for you.

You said "You PEOPLE do realize it was a kids movie, right?????"
      So why should adults like it? Why shouldn't they bag on it and make fun of it? It's sad that you like and defend entertainment for children that much, but disparage entertainment for adults.

August 10, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mario

And so the apocalypse begins!!

August 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Marshall Bravestarr

Before we get a Smurf's sequel, we need films based on the following:

The Snorks, The Shirt Tales, The Biskitts, The Gummy Bears, Thundarr the Barbarian, M.A.S.K., Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, and The California Raisins.

August 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lin

Don't forget Jem, Wildcats, and Sailor Moon.

August 10, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • BioHzrd420

There's already like 3 Sailor Moon movies. Let's move on to the others you mentioned.

August 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lin

BioHzrd, those were cartoons. Just to clarify, I was thinking of live action or the always slightly disturbing live action/CGI mix.

August 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • HammerHeart

How about the Get Along Gang? The Snorks I can see getting a cameo in the Smurfs sequel, since they were just underwater smurfs anyway. The Guumi Bears always intrigued me as a kid, since they it seemed they had a lot of history (or "lore" if you're a nerd like myself). I'd go see a Gummi Bears movie.

August 11, 2011 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. Matt

So you watched the first one?

August 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Brandy

Why do they always ruin movies with sequels. No I will not go watch it

August 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Stan Marsh

What........Why..........WHY!?!?!

August 10, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Doodee Rustler

Im smurfing off.

August 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Splinter48708

They can go Smurf themselves!

August 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Captain Slapaho

Not since "2 Girls 1 cup" have I seen anything of this great entertainment value.

August 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. concordantmind

come on america, you're better than this. Next time go see the GOOD movie.

August 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • MS

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste or the intelligence of the American public.

August 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Smurftastic

I took my neighbors kid and he, and every kid in the theater, were laughing and having a very good time. SInce this is a kids movie a sequel is a no brainer.

Just find a way to keep NPH in the lineup please.

August 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  37. George K

How to train a dragon and the Gaurdians should have Sequels beofre this garbage lol whatever, anything parents will spend on for the kids right Hollywood?

August 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. C

Hollywood continues to take a steaming dump all over my childhood cartoons.

August 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Steve

crap...thanks america for encouraging hollywood to manufacture more tired tripe to bombard us with.

Proof we will watch anything and evidence as to why hollywood continues to remake movies with no originality in sight.

August 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeD

Much like people flock to movie blogs websites to post and whine about movies they either fully intend to never see, or who went with the other birds to the theatre to see it...

In other words...you're a hypocrite... :)

August 10, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chad K

Word. As Intelligence shifts downwards and nostalgia is ruined, America continues to destroy itself slowly through dumbed down culture, or lack of should I say... Its a generation of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, Garfield, Alvin and the Chipmunks... Goodbye rationale!

August 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dictionary, Son

That isn't even close to what a hypocrite is. Don't use words you hear adults using, but don't really understand. You are already on the internet, why not use it to be smarter? Here, I'll help.
      hyp·o·crite
      Definition of HYPOCRITE
      1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
      2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

August 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

True, but I don't understand why then just the Smurfs movie is getting singled out. It was a movie that small kids enjoyed. We've got so used to animated films that cater to adults with jokes that most small kids don't get, that it is fashionable to now blast a simple minded movie that was solely aimed for kids. I'd taken my 2 small kids along with 3 of their friends, and all of them enjoyed it. That was the target audience. Let them have their fun. My kids had more fun watching this than they had watching the more highly acclaimed Wall-E or Up.

August 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ponter B

I agree television has really gone down hill with reality programming. Ok, it really wasn't that great to begin with, but reality TV has made it even worse. But, can someone tell me when we really had a golden age of television? Especially a golden age of television in the past 50 yrs? Yes, every year or two we have one movie that's a little more stand out from the usual dreck, but I don't think there has ever been a movie in history where I was blown away with the writing and production. People who complain about the dreck coming out of Hollywood, what exactly is it you want to see?

August 11, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Ponter B

That should be golden age of movies, not golden age of television.

August 11, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Manda

Amen to that!

August 11, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  40. Evel Knievel

Only if Katy Perry's cans are prominently featured.

August 10, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. T.Anthony

A lot of you that frequent this Marquee Blog need a good freakin' a good ole' ghetto butt kicking and a double shot of bourbon.

August 10, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  42. zee_A

my kid likes the smurfs, we collect the mcdonalds happy meal featuring these little beings. the movie is nice, if ever they will have a sequel,better have it best than this one.

August 10, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  43. vern

Me and my daughter c'yera enjoyed it. She loved clumsy smurf! I was kinda nostalgic from when I used 2 watch it as a kid. Another sequel would b cool as long as they dont run it N2 the ground like shrek!

August 10, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • whodacares

u dew seem lik da tipe ov perzon woo wuld lik dis.

August 10, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JesusCrust

C'mon Really.. don't you know that put'ting apos'trophes w'herever they aren't supp'osed to go is the "in" thing to do?

August 10, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • morgans

I think you two should work on your English skills before commenting.

August 11, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  44. elvistuna

actually the smurfs were created by a Belgian, but i guess anyone who names himself "taking a deuce" and leaves an ignorant comment like that wouldnt know any better.

August 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |