'Covert Affairs' finale pulls out all the stops
August 10th, 2011

'Covert Affairs' finale pulls out all the stops

It doesn't feel like a couple of months have passed since the new season of "Covert Affairs" began, but now the show will be off the air until the fall.

At least the producers gave us a summer finale to remember on Tuesday night.

When Annie had to help Chinese scientist Shen Yue (in an incredible, ultimately heartbreaking performance by Benedict Wong) defect, we watched them walk from a ballroom to a waiting van - all the while looking back to see if anyone was following them - in a tracking shot worthy of Brian DePalma.

Then we had the scene where Annie found out it was one of Shen's old friends (holding a letter opener at the time) who was poisoning him. Lots of intense scenes in this episode.

If that wasn't enough, Annie finally decided to read in her sister Danielle, something that has been brewing all season long. The fact that she couldn't do it at first but was convinced by Shen to come out with it was very well played. Danielle felt betrayed, and the reaction came off as very real.

The consequences of this will extend into the second half of the season, with Danielle asking Annie to move out.

Jai and Arthur also had memorable scenes, with Jai being relocated to Phoenix - then making a phone call to someone unknown - and Arthur basically threatening and assaulting a representative of the State Department in the men's room. He told him, in the most profane terms allowed on the USA network, not to mess with the CIA. At that point, it didn't matter what happened for the rest of the episode, because it belonged to Peter Gallagher.

But the episode also had many, many great scenes between Annie and Auggie (the best will-they-or-won't-they currently on TV) and Annie taking part in one of the best fight scenes of the series so far.

I'll admit, this second season has had its ups and downs, but "Covert Affairs" really brought its A game this time.

What do you think of the season so far? Will you tune in in the fall? And can you believe that Auggie's friend pulled a "Lando Calrissian" on him? Share your view below or on iReport.

1. Bill K.

Love the show, the writing, the scenery, the actors. Have seen every episode (love my DVR) and have swallowed some implausible plots. Otherwise, it's good, clean fun like i expect from USA. Also fell in love with "Necessary Roughness." Check it out, too.

August 29, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Herold

I LOVE Annie's sister. I don't care what others say. When she needs to, she does the best scenes, like the one where she followed Annie to work. Best scene by far. She is that sympathetic person you'd want to be in your family. I think things between her and Annie will head for the better.

August 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cnytny

How can a sister not be proud of Annie? Because she is self-centered and not likeable. Family, especially sisters stick together (I have 4)through the tough times. Annie needs her support and she is one of the most unlikeable charaters in this series. Auggie is awesome and hopefully Jai will turn his father in.

August 10, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. murpis

Absolutely love this show. It's nice to finally have a woman lead in an action series. Way to go Piper!!!

August 10, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Henry Hanks

I will grant you "Castle" – except I would say it's a lot more obvious where they are headed with that. "Covert Affairs" could conceivably never go there.

August 10, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sandy

I have loved this show from the get-go. I watch it every week and sometimes more than once. All of the characters are perfect. I am looking forward to new episodes in the fall.

August 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Andy

I've only seen a few episodes but it's a good show. And Piper Perabo is BEAUTIFUL.

August 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. McBean

(the best will-they-or-won't-they currently on TV)... Hardly the best, and ultimately failing as Annie continues to circle around a doctor and her ex. ABC's "Castle" has a much better 'tango' going in this department than any other show I watch currently.

Agree that the finale was much better than the rest of the season. I'm wavering on whether or not this show will carry more than another season or two unless there's a major shake-up in the cast. The writing is carrying the show more than the actors. Something needs to bring the show up another knotch or it will continue to come off too whimsy and light-hearted.

August 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pam

Love this show and all the characters. Auggie is awesome and have loved Piper Perabo since Coyote Ugly! Never miss an episode.

August 10, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Vip

I care enough to read this post, but I do not care enough to watch the show.

August 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tony

I hate that friggin' blind guy. He's the reason the show is unwatchable. (There's a sightless pun in there somewhere.)

August 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |